PDA

View Full Version : Rog Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi sound issue

Cool Barn
03-25-2021, 01:51 PM
EDIT : It turns out the problem was my DAC, not the motherboard. See my final post for the exhilarating story.

Hello there.

I'm having issues with the optical audio on my new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi. I have tried both the Asus and Microsoft drivers, and with both drivers the sound will cut out momentarily every 5 - 10 seconds or so.

Normally the first thing I do upon installing a new motherboard is a fresh Windows install, but for a number of reasons, I am yet to get around to it. I tried running Ubuntu Live to make sure it was software rather than hardware, but that didn't play any sound at all when selecting the Realtek USB option.

I have just updated the BIOS with the most recent version that has just been released.

I can't say for sure whether it's hardware or software, but I'm 95% sure it's driver-related. Probably a fresh install will fix the problem, but if anybody else has experienced this, could you please let me know (and a possible fix :) )

Thank you for your help!

Zardoc
03-25-2021, 02:22 PM
Hi,

Have you updated to 0605 Bios ?

I posted a thread about the drivers. They aren't very stable because it's a new chip 4080. Have to wait for driver update. I run without the drivers for now.

LeithKemon
03-28-2021, 02:43 PM
Hello there.

I'm having issues with the optical audio on my new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi. I have tried both the Asus and Microsoft drivers, and with both drivers the sound will cut out momentarily every 5 - 10 seconds or so.

Normally the first thing I do upon installing a new motherboard is a fresh Windows install, but for a number of reasons, I am yet to get around to it. I tried running Ubuntu Live to make sure it was software rather than hardware, but that didn't play any sound at all when selecting the Realtek USB option.

I have just updated the BIOS with the most recent version that has just been released.

I can't say for sure whether it's hardware or software, but I'm 95% sure it's driver-related. Probably a fresh install will fix the problem, but if anybody else has experienced this, could you please let me know (and a possible fix :) )

Thank you for your help!

Having issues with this board audio too when using the Realtek optical output. Will work fine for a while then massive static feedback. Tested with different speakers and headsets. Reinstalled any audio related drivers. Its getting frustrating and unable to enjoy games at the moment and its unusable when it happens.

Zardoc
03-28-2021, 03:36 PM
Hi,

I have an open ticket about this driver. One other issue is it slows down windows boot on load. You can hear a faint pop from sub woofer. The average is about 5 to 10 seconds longer to boot.

Try this.

Uninstall using Mokichu's instructions (CLEANUP, INSTALL,) HERE (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118522-DRIVERS-Realtek-Audio-(MB-Intel-Z590-amp-AMD-TRX40))

Do not use the drivers that he posted but use the drivers form the ASUS Website THESE ONES (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/ROG_STRIX_Z590-I_GAMING_WIFI/Realtek_Audio_Driver_V6.3.9600.2276_WIN10_64-bit.zip)

Also, don't use the install file but use the batch file (BAT) and run as administrator. You won't see much going on but it is installing. Wait a few minutes, then reboot. You can use the sonic studio settings and try it out then.

If you still have issues. I suggest opening a ticket. The more tickets, the more attention it gets.

Let us know how it goes.

LeithKemon
03-28-2021, 05:13 PM
Hi,

I have an open ticket about this driver. One other issue is it slows down windows boot on load. You can hear a faint pop from sub woofer. The average is about 5 to 10 seconds longer to boot.

Try this.

Uninstall using Mokichu's instructions (CLEANUP, INSTALL,) HERE (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118522-DRIVERS-Realtek-Audio-(MB-Intel-Z590-amp-AMD-TRX40))

Do not use the drivers that he posted but use the drivers form the ASUS Website THESE ONES (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/ROG_STRIX_Z590-I_GAMING_WIFI/Realtek_Audio_Driver_V6.3.9600.2276_WIN10_64-bit.zip)

Also, don't use the install file but use the batch file (BAT) and run as administrator. You won't see much going on but it is installing. Wait a few minutes, then reboot. You can use the sonic studio settings and try it out then.

If you still have issues. I suggest opening a ticket. The more tickets, the more attention it gets.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks very much for the info just trying this now. I thought I was going crazy trying to diagnose the problem for the past few weeks. Its been really stressful so in a way good to see others having various issues with audio on z590. To be honest just the fact it was calling the output 'Realtek Optical [USB Audio]' or something just felt strange.

Zardoc
03-28-2021, 09:00 PM
Just an added note. I uninstalled the Sonic Sonar and the DTS app. So far, all is good. Sound is very good.

Cool Barn
03-30-2021, 11:55 AM
Hi,

Have you updated to 0605 Bios ?

I posted a thread about the drivers. They aren't very stable because it's a new chip 4080. Have to wait for driver update. I run without the drivers for now.

Have just updated to 0704 - same problem :(

Cool Barn
03-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Hi,

Try this.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks very much for the help, but sadly that didn't help either :(

Cool Barn
03-31-2021, 01:03 PM
UPDATE : It has turned out that the motherboard was NOT to blame after all!

It was actually the DAC that my optical was running to.

Let me ask you this - what are the chances of your DAC failing at the EXACT same time you change your motherboard?

One minute I'm running a Z490 board - optical runs fine.

I Install a Z590 board - audio starts cutting out when connected to both optical-inputs.

Your first thought is definitely not "I'll have to replace my DAC".

New board - new problem, right?

The funny thing is I asked an extremely talented technician friend of mine "What are the chances of the DAC going at the exact same time I change the mobo? That's why it is most likely the mobo".

You know his wise, sagely answer :

"When it comes to your computers - I do not challenge the universe".

It looks like the universe got me once again :D

I'm just glad to have the issue sorted. I have replaced my DAC, and everything is running beautifully. I would like to thank everybody who tried to help. I would also like to thank Asus, who not only got back to me very promptly, but also offered an RMA rather than sending me terrible advice and suggestions every three days like other motherboard manufacturers might do.

Moral of the story - troubleshoot all possibilities before getting flustered :)

_Emanuel_
04-13-2021, 10:06 AM
I have the same issue reported (everything is fine until a sudden massive feedback noise).
I tried the uninstall method described above, reinstalled that specified driver and while the frequency of the issue has decreased, it's still here so any advice would be welcome.

Additionally, I'm new to Asus ecosystem .. where exactly I can open an issue about this?
Thanks!

Cool Barn
04-13-2021, 12:24 PM
I have the same issue reported (everything is fine until a sudden massive feedback noise).
I tried the uninstall method described above, reinstalled that specified driver and while the frequency of the issue has decreased, it's still here so any advice would be welcome.

Additionally, I'm new to Asus ecosystem .. where exactly I can open an issue about this?
Thanks!
I couldn't wait for Asus to get their driver sh*t together, as I was constantly getting woken up by my computer springing to static life at all hours of the day or night. So I bought a soundcard, which fixed the problem instantly (well the second soundcard I installed did so instantly).

Because I'm in Australia, the email address that I received support from was servicecenter_au@asus.com .

The support was very good, stating that I needed to RMA the board, so I appreciate Asus suggesting that rather than mucking around too much with solutions that don't have a great chance of success. But I have been troubleshooting this system for weeks, with a number of different faulty parts (a broken Corsair AIO, and even the original Creative soundcard I purchased to fix this problem was DOA and not recognised by Windows. Thankfully the replacement worked perfectly, but if there is anybody unluckier than me at the moment, I feel very sorry for him/her).

As a result I couldn't wait any longer for my local store to test the motherboard, wait for a replacement, and then reinstall everything, when a soundcard fixed it straight away. And if it was actually a driver issue rather than hardware - then the new motherboard isn't going to be helping very much anyway.

So that's my solution. Buy a $650 motherboard, and then watch it turn into a $1000 motherboard before you can hear proper sound.

_Emanuel_
04-13-2021, 12:39 PM
So that's my solution. Buy a $650 motherboard, and then watch it turn into a $1000 motherboard before you can hear proper sound.
So along with your DAC problem, did you also had the issue with the sudden static sound?

I have nearly 2 month in which I can return it but I just try to avoid the hassle and to be honest, aside this sound issue, it's working very well.

Cool Barn
04-13-2021, 01:49 PM
So along with your DAC problem, did you also had the issue with the sudden static sound?
Let me clarify - initially when connected to my old DAC, the sound was skipping and cutting out every 5-10 seconds. It is a very decent Audio-GD DAC that was quite expensive back in the day, complete with clock upgrades, but was getting a little long in the tooth. As soon as I connected my soundbar (the only other optical-capable device in my house), the audio played fine with not a skip to be heard. Thus it appeared that the DAC had failed at the exact same time that I replaced the motherboard - unlucky right?

I replaced the DAC.

However the audio playing fine only lasted a day or so, as in the middle of the night the computer started blaring out static at the top of its voice, scaring about 17 different types of sh*t out of me. I tried different drivers, plus changing various sound settings in the control panel (eg allow exclusive mode, do not allow exclusive mode, allow audio enhancements, disable audio enhancements, etc etc). Each time the static stopped and I thought I had solved the problem, only for it to recur a short time later.

Quite simply the optical out on my motherboard, be it hardware or drivers, is completely broken. It works brilliantly for a short period of time, then is loud static / white noise for the rest.

I would be interested to hear how the old DAC now performs connected to the soundcard's optical. It's currently at a mate's place (he is a very good technician, and can fix anything fixable). Part of me is scared to hear that there is nothing wrong with the old DAC - that it was the onboard optical being the problem all along, and that I have now spent hundreds of dollars on an unnecessary DAC replacement.

Thanks to this Asus board, I am hemorrhaging money I do not have at an impossible rate :(

_Emanuel_
04-13-2021, 02:19 PM
Quite simply the optical out on my motherboard, be it hardware or drivers, is completely broken.
I think it's a driver problem because when the problem occurs, if I go to the control panel and disable/enable the optical output, the sound comes back.
If the problem was a hardware one, it could not be corrected in 2 clicks.
LE. also, right click on sound icon and changing from Off to Windows Sonic, reset the feedback sound to normal (or any other change in that menu)

Blake@ROG
04-16-2021, 07:00 AM
Hello Cool Barn,
May you share the alarm website with me? The issue start after you start using that website? or just simply after you change the DAC?
and may you record a short video of the noise for me to consult more from designers?
if the sound is not from speaker, are you able to identify where the sound came from? it's close to which part?

Hello Emamuel,
You also have Strix 590-E gaming wifi?
May you record a video of the issue as well?
I'm not sure if all of you have the same issue, can't tell by your wording.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Zardoc
04-16-2021, 01:15 PM
Hello Cool Barn,
May you share the alarm website with me? The issue start after you start using that website? or just simply after you change the DAC?
and may you record a short video of the noise for me to consult more from designers?
if the sound is not from speaker, are you able to identify where the sound came from? it's close to which part?

Hello Emamuel,

Blake,

FYI,
There is an open ticket about the driver.

Cool Barn
04-16-2021, 02:57 PM
Hello Cool Barn,

Hi Blake,

The problems started immediately after I booted up my Asus z590 motherboard. My original DAC started cutting out, but when I connected the optical cable to my soundbar, then the sound played properly. So I assumed it was the DAC.

I purchased a new DAC. The sound played nicely for a couple of days - "it WAS the DAC" - I thought!

But then the static arrived. In the middle of the night it woke me up, and after that time it would always come back after a reboot, be it after five minutes, or sometimes it could make a few hours before the static started. Until the static starts, the audio sounds perfect.

The sound comes from my bookshelf speakers. If I connect the optical cable to my soundbar, nothing changes. The only thing that allows me to play perfect sound is to disable my onboard audio, and use the soundcard that I additionally had to purchase because of my faulty onboard audio.

The static first woke me up when my alarm was set at the following site :

https://onliveclock.com/alarmclock/

There is no way that website has anything to do with the problem. I have been using it for years without issue, and since I have installed a soundcard, have continued to use it without issue. I use it to wake me up every morning, and the only time it plays static is if I use the onboard Realtek optical on my Asus Z590. It was simply the first thing to fail, showing the problems with my motherboard.

It wasn't just that website - it was EVERYTHING that played a sound, be it playing songs through media applications, watching Youtube Videos, or even simple system sounds.

Here are some videos as requested (note that the sound would return to normal after a reboot, or changing the default device and then back, etc. However as mentioned it would only stay this way for anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours, and then bam - the static would come back and not stop unless I rebooted).

Alarm clock website static : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIiYHpEHWg
Spell-check static : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GJEut9GbNQ
Youtube static : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPg_CWIxrkg

Hope this helps, and thank you for any assistance you can provide :)

Regards,
Tony.

_Emanuel_
04-17-2021, 03:50 PM
Hello Emamuel,

Hi,
Yes, I have Strix Z590-E gaming wifi, latest Realtek driver and the bios is at this moment, version 0704 (Beta version that supports Intel ABT)

I recorded the moment when the issue occurred. Sorry for the quality but giving the random nature of the issue ( for me it's totally random, I can't trigger it when I want to) I didn't know how much recorded time it will take hence the 720 resolution.

https://youtu.be/Ohu0VYXozqU

Blake@ROG
04-19-2021, 07:32 AM
Hello Cool Barn & Emamuel,
Thank you both so much for the detail description and video.
I have reported to the designers to dig in.
Will keep you updated.

Cool Barn
04-19-2021, 10:10 AM
Will keep you updated.

Thank you Blake, very much appreciated. I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon (with good news :) )

_Emanuel_
04-19-2021, 11:25 AM
Will keep you updated.
Thank you!
If I can help you in any other ways, logs, tests, etc please let me know.

octiva
04-19-2021, 09:39 PM
Hi , i got the same problem with random static noise on optic port( toslink)

motherboard : STRIX Z590-F
CPU : i7-11700k
RAM : 2x8GB G.skill
Realtek driver version: 6.3.9600.2276

The noise can be fixed with REALTEK AUDIO CONSOLE ...Use the box (deactivat / activate sound effects) to reset driver.

Blake@ROG
04-20-2021, 05:55 AM
Dear all,
We have identified the issue and now working with supplier on the solution.
Really sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Once there is anything new, I will post it here.
Thank you.

eridanus
04-23-2021, 10:47 AM
Dear all,
Thank you.

I am happy to read this.
Here, from Spain, I have encountered exactly the same problem that has had me very frustrated and disappointed not being able to use the optical output.
I am very sorry for my bad english
Greetings

jdelizzio
04-27-2021, 02:48 PM
Dear all,
Thank you.

So it's been a week since the issue was identified. Can you let us know an ETA? I need the use of my external speakers on my new PC and this issue makes them unusable.

Blake@ROG
04-28-2021, 03:24 AM
Dear all,
I'm really sorry about this.
The solution is still under testing, so no ETA yet.
Thank you.

octiva
04-28-2021, 12:29 PM
So it's been a week since the issue was identified. Can you let us know an ETA? I need the use of my external speakers on my new PC and this issue makes them unusable.

i have unstall all realtek audio drivers and software, clean out driverstore in windows....and let windows 10 install its default usb audio drivers (date on drivers is 6-12-2019)

now is 3 days in row without any random static noise BYE BYE REALTEK drivers

iisd
04-29-2021, 01:54 PM
Same issue, but with the normal 3.5mm connections at the back of the motherboard (5.1) and only happening very sporadically and sometimes only affects certain channels and/or mutes others.

Workaround on #27 is not an option, since it drastically cuts down driver features.

Zardoc
04-29-2021, 02:46 PM
i have unstall all realtek audio drivers and software, clean out driverstore in windows....and let windows 10 install its default usb audio drivers (date on drivers is 6-12-2019)

now is 3 days in row without any random static noise BYE BYE REALTEK drivers

I have an open ticket with Asus US/China support. They are running tests in lab and are trying to pinpoint issues.

Hi, I know that there is more than one problem with the new audio drivers. The other issue is that sometimes driver plays with boot time when loading.

I removed all drivers and cleaned like you did.

I installed 2276 from install folder using Realtek.exe install

Boot issues aren't as often but still occur. I don't think it will solve your sound issue but it's worth a try.

octiva
04-29-2021, 07:29 PM
I have an open ticket with Asus US/China support. They are running tests in lab and are trying to pinpoint issues.

Hi, I know that there is more than one problem with the new audio drivers. The other issue is that sometimes driver plays with boot time when loading.

I removed all drivers and cleaned like you did.

I installed 2276 from install folder using Realtek.exe install

Boot issues aren't as often but still occur. I don't think it will solve your sound issue but it's worth a try.

2276 drivers dont work .. same problem with random static noise

_Emanuel_
05-04-2021, 12:42 PM
Same issue, but with the normal 3.5mm connections at the back of the motherboard (5.1) and only happening very sporadically

Having the issue with static noise, I've change the output to the analog one and I had zero issues with that.

Considering @Blake@ROG answers, the issue seems to be with Realtek drivers and on top of that, because there is another topic with a similar problem on Z490, I wouldn't hold out much hope that the problem will be solved, but who knows.

Also, to add to our "misery" (so to speak), if the problem was more widespread, the answer would be different so it's probably just a small subset of users: same MB, same windows version, using optical output, etc

I just hope that isn't a hardware issue, because the return window, for me at least is closing fast and I need to know what to decide.

beyonker
05-05-2021, 01:45 AM
Hi , I have the same problem with random static noise on optic port( toslink)

Motherboard : STRIX Z590-E Wifi
CPU : i7-11700k
RAM : 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance
Realtek driver version: 6.3.9600.2276

If it helps I previously had TUF Z490-Plus and did not reinstall Windows. I have that simply changing the default output to anything else and then back solves the problem but still the random static makes gaming almost impossible.

Feklar
05-05-2021, 07:17 AM
Maximus XIII Apex and the same issue here. 10-15 in to a game and white noise at max volume. Restarting the game stops it for another 10-15 minutes. I was using the optical out to an external dac. While we wait for the fix there is a doable workaround that I'm using. I purchased a "USB to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter, DuKabel ProSeries TRRS 4-Pole Mic-Supported USB to Headphone AUX Adapter Built-in Chip External Stereo Sound Card for PS4 PC PS5" accessory. It plugs in to a usb port and has a 3.5mm headphone jack at the other end. The USB port does not have this white noise dropout issue at all. I also use an adapter for the larger headphone plug. I have played hours and days using this setup without any episodes of static. Volume is controlled though my keyboard volume knob. Works great. The mentioned adapter also works with a headphone mic. It was less than $20 and keeps me playing until the optical port issue is resolved with drivers.

iisd
05-05-2021, 12:09 PM
Having the issue with static noise, I've change the output to the analog one and I had zero issues with that.

I doubt that. Keep using it and after a few weeks at the latest you will hear it too. So far everyone I asked with that chip (even with totally different hardware than me) had the same issue, no matter if optical or analog.
Never had it in games. Only Youtube videos, sound files and videos. And only about every 100th play or so. Probably even less often.
It just acts differently on optical.

_Emanuel_
05-05-2021, 09:15 PM
I doubt that.
Your choice.
I've change it when I found this topic and posted about this issue, on the first page, on 04-13-2021
Since then I worked from home, played music most of the time, games, youtube, etc and in all this this, no issue, no static.

iisd
05-07-2021, 12:36 AM
Your choice.
I've change it when I found this topic and posted about this issue, on the first page, on 04-13-2021
Since then I worked from home, played music most of the time, games, youtube, etc and in all this this, no issue, no static.

And thats why you havent experienced it.
It doesnt happen on analog when there is some other sound already playing. Thats also why it doesnt happen for me in games. Only happens when there is no output at all, and then randomly and rarely when you start one.
Since 4/13 Ive only experienced it a few times myself and I am 12 to 16 hours on my PC every day!

Blake@ROG
05-07-2021, 06:02 AM
Dear all,
We are really sorry.
The new firmwares from realtek still didn't pass the verification.
We will continue to work on it.
Thank you very much.

satyrlampu
05-09-2021, 03:25 PM
It's also happening to my wife PC (Z590-F Strix)

Crackling sound on TOSLINK (I use soundbard) is so loud which made my little boy surprised and cry.

Fortunately this never happened when using USB headphone.

Already try using several driver version, reinstall windows, etc. This never happened with previous board (Asus Z370-A)

So disappointing

Cool Barn
05-09-2021, 09:29 PM
Crackling sound on TOSLINK (I use soundbard) is so loud which made my little boy surprised and cry.
It's not just little boys. This big boy was also surprised, and shed a few tears, when it started happening :D

MikeMS
05-11-2021, 07:18 AM
Hello, same issue :( When it happened first time - I thought I will get a heart strike such incredibly loud and sudden this noise was. Spended a lot of time trying to fix this by reinstalling different drivers, changing settings e.t.c..((
Glad to hear that asus works with realtek to fix this and I hope solution will be very soon. Currently wouldn't use my spdif audio speakers and will try to wait, don't want to deal with MB refund...
P.S.: Heard that not only asus mb's have this issue but at least msi and gygabyte as well with the same realtek chipset.

TomCruiseControl
05-11-2021, 04:30 PM
I have this same issue as well. Sometimes I can go for hours without the sound going to static and other times it'll happen every few minutes.

Feklar
05-14-2021, 05:29 AM
I doubt if this issue will ever get resolved. All Realtek has to do is stop using the 4080 codec and just use the 4082 instead going forward. Z590 although new is already nearly eol because of Z690 coming in Q4 and I'm sure more effort is going there as opposed to Z590 and the ALC 4080 issue. I'll be satisfied if the issue is fixed, but not shocked if it isn't.

octiva
05-14-2021, 12:16 PM
I have this same issue as well. Sometimes I can go for hours without the sound going to static and other times it'll happen every few minutes.

yea why fixit ,,the allready got the money for the motherboard

_Emanuel_
05-14-2021, 06:49 PM

Yep .. at this point I'm just happy that I didn't paid more on Apex or Hero.

Cool Barn
05-15-2021, 06:32 AM
Sure, ASUS could think like that. Many companies do.

But how long do those sorts of companies succeed? History is full of major businesses who are top of the pile one minute, and then ultimately fail because they release a bad product, and forget about customer service. In an industry where there is competition (ie most of them) then customer service, and brand recognition, is still king.

So yeah - ASUS could simply ignore the problem. And what do you think all the affected customers would think? Would they ever buy Asus products again? I know I wouldn't. More importantly what do you think popular tech-sites will publish when they get wind of it - do you think they will be complimentary to ASUS now or in the future?

Over time - a tiny snowball can become a massive one.

There's a lot to be said about customer service. Many times in the past I have forgiven companies who initially made a mistake, but then quickly made up for their error, by doing the right thing and fixing it for their customers. I will still buy their products today. But there are a few companies who I refuse to buy from, because of terrible support. Thankfully some of the problem companies from my past now cease to exist.

I have been buying Asus products for over 25 years. And I have always been impressed with their support. Blake's responses in this thread have reinforced this.

I will be very surprised, and disappointed, if this changes. I for one am expecting a fix relatively soon :)

mgcarnevali
05-15-2021, 07:44 PM
Dear all,
We are really sorry.
The new firmwares from realtek still didn't pass the verification.
We will continue to work on it.
Thank you very much.

Same issue here with a Z590-e, sudden massive feedback noise over optical.

Any update?

_Emanuel_
05-15-2021, 09:29 PM
Any update?

Nope..

The only positive "thing" about it is this:

Dear all,

Feklar
05-16-2021, 05:37 AM
Yep .. at this point I'm just happy that I didn't paid more on Apex or Hero.

Hero does not have this issue since it uses a different codec (4082).

Blake@ROG
05-18-2021, 08:43 AM
Dear all,
This issue is not being ignored. But it is true that we did not make much progress.
The new firmwares continue to fail, not just on ASUS product.
We will continue to work on this and I will keep you posted here.
We are really sorry about this and please kindly give us some more time.
Thank you very much.

_Emanuel_
05-18-2021, 01:18 PM
The new firmwares continue to fail, not just on ASUS product.
What firmware are you referring?

It is a driver issue and Realtek must solve it somehow or it is a bios issue? (meaning some third party code from Realtek that must be included in the UEFI?

mgcarnevali
05-18-2021, 08:00 PM
What firmware are you referring?

It is a driver issue and Realtek must solve it somehow or it is a bios issue? (meaning some third party code from Realtek that must be included in the UEFI?

He is talking about a new Realtek driver.

Feklar
05-18-2021, 11:36 PM
Again I have to mention that as I have seen this only affects the Toslink optical port on the motherboard. I am now using an external DAC and Amp using the signal from the USB 2.0 port. I have now played over 20 hours without the white noise issue coming up even once. I have never had any issue regarding the signal from the USB port only the Toslink optical. I have not been able to replicate the issue going through the USB port at all.

iisd
05-19-2021, 06:28 PM
For the last time: It doesnt only affect the optical port...

Feklar
05-19-2021, 07:58 PM

On my Apex only the optical port has this issue.

mgcarnevali
05-20-2021, 06:22 PM

On my Z590E only the optical port has this issue.

iisd
05-21-2021, 10:17 AM
On my Z590E only the optical port has this issue.

Yes, because the issue is very different on the analog out and only randomly appears, not fixed after a while.
I sometimes go weeks without it happening.

solarpower
05-25-2021, 10:41 AM
Hello, i have the same trouble.
SPDIF output works for some minutes and then an incredible noise comes from the speaker until i restart the application.
Analog output works fine via Headhone.
Hope this will be fixed soon because using the headphone all the time is not comfortable.

My System:
CPU:i5-11600k, MEM:32GB RAM, Video:RX570, SSM:Samsung 980 Pro 500Gb.

michaelvdheijden
05-25-2021, 06:30 PM
Having the same issue as described above. Hope there is a solution soon. Constant switching from SPDIF to analog and back (Windows soundoutput) to fix the problem isn't a good solution. The noise is hard and scares you time after time.

Hope there is a fix soon!

Greeting.

disenter
05-26-2021, 09:31 AM
Like to add I'm having the same issue with mine basically since updating to bios 0704 (i think).
I run klipsch powered studio monitors, and for a long time I've always had the sound turned up to max, or just short of max with my speakers remote, and then just used windows sound to adjust them from there. When this happened the first time, I was mid game, volume about 15, to static so damn loud I think it nearly blew my speakers up as well as my ears. I had NFI WTH was going on but turned my speakers off immediately. Every time I turned them back on, the static was there. So, since my speakers have multiple inputs, I switched to bluetooth, and connected my pc to them that way. No problem. Work perfectly. Switch back to optical, and static... I tried a couple of different optical leads that I know are working fine with other devices in my house, and no change. It would seem there is obviously something wrong with either the driver that handles the optical out, or the optical out itself which then leaves us in a situation of RMA of the motherboard.
Do we have any updates on this terrible issue? Bluetooth is a workaround for me, but not a great one as these speakers will turn themselves off after a time of no sound detected, and will not automatically power themselves back on.
I have just updated to bios 0707 a couple of nights ago, and am pleasantly surprised how much better this board is handling my 11900k for temperature and voltage, and consequently overall system noise. I've just now switched back to optical to see what happens, and so far its working normally on optical. Will update if it goes back to static meltdown.

Cool Barn
05-27-2021, 01:30 AM
Thank you for the actual update, and thank you for keeping us updated along the way.

Hope it works great :)

Blake@ROG
05-27-2021, 07:11 AM
Dear all,
Please refer to below link
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios
under BIOS& Firmware there is an update
"ALC4080/ALC4082 audio FW update tool
Fixed SPDIF playing music is noisy"
Please kindly install it.
Thank you so much

disenter
05-28-2021, 06:01 AM
Hi everyone,

Here is the fix (by firmware update) :

Thanks!

I was about to reply that I've run 0707 for 1 day and already the audio failed again.

I have run the above patch from v6 to v13 it looks like.

So far so good... hopefully its fixed it for good.

Cheers!

MikeMS
05-28-2021, 11:53 AM
Thank you very much for the fix!
I will test it, if it fails - I will write about it here.

_Emanuel_
05-28-2021, 06:13 PM
Updated and using it for the last two days, everything seems to be in order, zero noise.

kobpukcnc
05-31-2021, 08:03 AM
Hello world, i have the same static problem here Asus strix Z590-E. But with AUX speakers, this started to happen after i updated with the firmware, shouldn't did it, but i did just because i like everything up to date. I did not have this problem before, is there a way to rollback?

mrjiffy6
06-01-2021, 12:05 AM
Hello world, i have the same static problem here Asus strix Z590-E. But with AUX speakers, this started to happen after i updated with the firmware, shouldn't did it, but i did just because i like everything up to date. I did not have this problem before, is there a way to rollback?

What do you mean by AUX speakers, is it the LINE OUT audio jack?

I'm using this output to feed an external amp which powers a buttkicker. Did not have any problem since the firmware update (neither before the update, except for the optical output). And I hope I'll never meet this problem on the line out audio jack while connected to the buttkicker ;)

If it ever happens, i'll report here.

Feklar
06-01-2021, 05:25 AM

The firmware update solves the issue, it does not create it. I had this issue with the optical port and it was immediate solved after the flash. Reflash your board and if that does not solve it, your issue lies somewhere else in your system.

narsil06
06-02-2021, 11:50 AM
I don't suggest to upgrade new sound firmware.
I have z590-e motherboard and upgraded sound firmware. I have an issue to use front audio panel. When i use front 3.5mm jack, i am getting static sound. Back panel has not any issue.
Before upgrade new firmware, i don't have this issue. One friend also mention above that aux port has static noise when he upgraded firmware.

What i try to solve this issue (and not successful):
-Format windows and clean installation
-Try to use all realtek and windows drivers. (clean remove and clean install)
-Try to change some sound setting on windows (hibernation, sound effects etc.)
-Try to install old bios (0605)
-Try different headphone (new and old) on the same jack.

Temporary Solution:
This sound does not appear next to an active sound. (no matter volume was high or low or mute)
If you open youtube or play song or playing "Audio Troubleshoot on windows10", this terrible static sound is gone.
I think it is related power issue. Sound card is sleeping or something.

I need downgrade firmware. But there is not any file on asus download page.
I hope Asus help me...

kobpukcnc
06-02-2021, 04:12 PM
The firmware update solves the issue, it does not create it. I had this issue with the optical port and it was immediate solved after the flash. Reflash your board and if that does not solve it, your issue lies somewhere else in your system.

Sorry but you are wrong, it creates an issue with line in port

iisd
06-02-2021, 09:39 PM
I don't suggest to upgrade new sound firmware.
I have z590-e motherboard and upgraded sound firmware. I have an issue to use front audio panel. When i use front 3.5mm jack, i am getting static sound. Back panel has not any issue.
Before upgrade new firmware, i don't have this issue. One friend also mention above that aux port has static noise when he upgraded firmware.

What i try to solve this issue (and not successful):
-Format windows and clean installation
-Try to use all realtek and windows drivers. (clean remove and clean install) ( Thanks to @MoKiChU)
-Try to change some sound setting on windows (hibernation, sound effects etc.)
-Try to install old bios (0605)
-Try different headphone (new and old) on the same jack.

Temporary Solution:
This sound does not appear next to an active sound. (no matter volume was high or low or mute)
If you open youtube or play song or playing "Audio Troubleshoot on windows10", this terrible static sound is gone.
I think it is related power issue. Sound card is sleeping or something.

I need downgrade firmware. But there is not any file on asus download page.
I hope Asus help me...

So it does not solve the issue for analog output, but actually makes it worse, because they didnt pay attention to the people with analog who reported this issue and only cared about the ones with optical, and believed the casual analog users here who tried to claim analog doesnt have this issue.
Thanks for sharing, Ill skip this until they fix their crap, or even switch to a different mainboard. This is getting ridiculous.

disenter
06-15-2021, 07:20 AM
So looks like im not the only one still having some issues with this... I run optical to some reasonably high end klipsch powered studio monitors, and there is constant popping at random intervals happening since the bios update. It fixed the static issue that it previously had, but this is quite annoying also. While there is no sound, out of nowhere little pops. Before you try to blame power or even my speakers themselves, i run a surge board, Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w psu, and i use a Cyberpower Pure Sinewave UPS. My power can't get any cleaner, and this issue does NOT happen if I switch to bluetooth input on my speakers, and connect them that way. Only while using optical. Yes I've tried different leads. It would seem the sound driver / firmware is not quite fixed. Can we please have this followed up by Asus, and if the issue is not fixable beyond this, then suggest a recall / replacement with a board equally as capable that does not use this sound chip. Sorry guys, but you seem to have dropped the ball with this and frankly i expect better of the RoG and Strix brand.

iisd
06-15-2021, 08:14 AM
While this is surely mainly Realteks fault, Asus (and other manufacturers) should have tested this chip properly before choosing it.
This "let the customer beta test it"-mentality is getting out of hands.

MauroDiogo
06-15-2021, 10:03 AM
I recently made a thread about sound issues I'm having with my Z590-A Gaming Wifi too but yet to get an official ROG response or any type of support. It's been a week now...
So I'll just post it here too since we already got some ROG responses on here and people have been posting about all types of sound issues:

Greetings!

I've bought this ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming WIFI Motherboard less than two months ago. It worked great for a while. I have my consoles plugged into my monitor via HDMI and then using the Headphones plug, I have a Line in 3.5mm cable that connects to the Motherboard itself. So I can use the same surround speakers and control the console's sound in my computer.

This setup has always worked perfectly and it did work with this Motherboard too... Until about two weeks ago.
The Line In just stopped working. It's not picking up anything going in and it's not sending anything out either.

I've tried all sorts of things, including following the steps found in this other thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...sue#post829877

- I've performed a clean Uninstall and installation of all the drivers, all the devices.
- I've tried it with "Listen to this device" in the Line In options Enabled/Disabled.
- I have unhidden enabled/disabled devices in the Sound panel and played around with Digital Out too enabled at the same time as Line In.
- I've unhidden disconnected devices to see if there were any extra devices that could be causing this.
- I've also installed the recent FIRMWARE hotfix: "USB_Audio_FW_Update_Tool_20210521" and it didn't work either.
- I've tried plugging just headphones straight into the headphone jack on the monitor and sound works PERFECTLY this way. So it's not the sound being carried by HDMI (would be a console or HDMI cable issue then) and it's not the Monitor itself.
- I've bought two new different Line In audio cables and while they work on other computers, they did not work here either. So it's not the previous cable's fault. It's the Line In itself.

I'm at a loss of what else to try here. I've tried sound without the ROG interface. Without DTS installed. Without Sonic Studio. Nothing has worked.

Thanks in advance guys!

Zardoc
06-15-2021, 05:30 PM
I recently made a thread about sound issues I'm having with my Z590-A Gaming Wifi too but yet to get an official ROG response or any type of support. It's been a week now...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...sue#post829877

- I've performed a clean Uninstall and installation of all the drivers, all the devices.
- I've tried it with "Listen to this device" in the Line In options Enabled/Disabled.
- I have unhidden enabled/disabled devices in the Sound panel and played around with Digital Out too enabled at the same time as Line In.
- I've unhidden disconnected devices to see if there were any extra devices that could be causing this.
- I've also installed the recent FIRMWARE hotfix: "USB_Audio_FW_Update_Tool_20210521" and it didn't work either.
- I've tried plugging just headphones straight into the headphone jack on the monitor and sound works PERFECTLY this way. So it's not the sound being carried by HDMI (would be a console or HDMI cable issue then) and it's not the Monitor itself.
- I've bought two new different Line In audio cables and while they work on other computers, they did not work here either. So it's not the previous cable's fault. It's the Line In itself.

I'm at a loss of what else to try here. I've tried sound without the ROG interface. Without DTS installed. Without Sonic Studio. Nothing has worked.

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi MauroDiogo,

I feel your pain. I have the same set-up as you. My line in works except it takes almost 30 seconds for audio driver to load in Windows. No drivers, 30 seconds less. Do you have that issue ?

I am a firm believer in ASUS. Have been using their products for more than 20 years. They make great products, however, when it breaks, support is confusing because Chinese to English is not the best communication highway. This forum is also full of Asus support staff so it's not like we are talking in the wind. They will appear if the issue is big enough. :rolleyes:

Realtek is all but invisible for support and nothing on their site about the sound chip. This is really annoying when you want to find answers. Everyone is quick to sell but hard to find when problems arise. Imagine, Realtek is releasing drivers on their FTP for ALC products like hotcakes but hardly anything for USB 408X codecs. Only insiders have access to those sites. That also is a pain..

So in conclusion, you can wait like I am doing an telling my customers not to buy any Z590 products and hope someone is kind enough to fix this soundchip mess and get back to other more important things in life like selling and building more machines, or you can dump your board at a lower price to someone who doesn't care that much about boot times or sound quality. :(

Nuckels
07-01-2021, 04:32 PM
Z590-E gaming wifi board owner here, tried multiple drivers and still have the same basic issue: Audio starts up delayed, anything as simple as a discord ringing noise or adjusting the volume and getting feedback from the windows .wav file is delayed by as little as half a second to as bad as 30seconds. Having a hardware accelerated application open resolves this issue, for example a game or youtube in firefox. I have contacted support and they are unable to recreate the problem yet multiple posters on this forum and even in this thread have decribed the same issue: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118522-DRIVERS-Realtek-USB-Audio-(MB-Intel-5xx-amp-AMD-TRX40)&p=836854#post836854 for example this post.

Some form of acknowledgement that asus/realtek are aware of the issue and working on it be awesome.

I have tried to reinstall windows, and only install the driver posted on the motherboard page, and this issue still occurs. Either something is seriously wrong with a few boards or there is a problem with the drivers. Hope to hear something soon.

narsil06
07-02-2021, 01:55 PM
Z590-E gaming wifi board owner here, tried multiple drivers and still have the same basic issue: Audio starts up delayed, anything as simple as a discord ringing noise or adjusting the volume and getting feedback from the windows .wav file is delayed by as little as half a second to as bad as 30seconds. Having a hardware accelerated application open resolves this issue, for example a game or youtube in firefox. I have contacted support and they are unable to recreate the problem yet multiple posters on this forum and even in this thread have decribed the same issue: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118522-DRIVERS-Realtek-USB-Audio-(MB-Intel-5xx-amp-AMD-TRX40)&p=836854#post836854 for example this post.

Some form of acknowledgement that asus/realtek are aware of the issue and working on it be awesome.

I have tried to reinstall windows, and only install the driver posted on the motherboard page, and this issue still occurs. Either something is seriously wrong with a few boards or there is a problem with the drivers. Hope to hear something soon.

I also have this issue. New firmware makes this issue.. No reply and support by Asus yet...

JuicyFruitSweeT
07-11-2021, 06:46 AM
Dear all,
Please refer to below link
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios
under BIOS& Firmware there is an update
"ALC4080/ALC4082 audio FW update tool
Fixed SPDIF playing music is noisy"
Please kindly install it.
Thank you so much

Today I installed this update and it fixed my Z590-A Gaming Wifi motherboard's audio problem with the SteelSeries Arctis 5 headphone. It always disconnected when I bootup my PC. I hope this is the permanent fix for it.

Edited: Turned on my PC today and the Headphone USB said "Not Connected" again. I guess my USB port problem still exist.