PDA

View Full Version : Won't accept warranty?

gameschess
04-04-2012, 02:12 AM
I tried to update my g74sx and after the update it wouldn't turn on, I used the ez flash in the bios and followed the instructions. Then I called tech support and they said it isn't covered under warranty. Is that true?

Thanks

OldNESJunkie
04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
No, that is not true at all. BIOS flash gone bad should still be covered under warranty.

gameschess
04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Do you have any advice as to what I should say to them? According to him I didn't do a hard reset so it's my own fault, but according to the manual it doesn't say anything about that.

BrodyBoy
04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Do you have any advice as to what I should say to them? According to him I didn't do a hard reset so it's my own fault, but according to the manual it doesn't say anything about that.
Don't go into detail with them....the point is that you have a dead laptop and it's under warranty.

You may want to contact Chastity over on the NBR Forum. He seems to be pretty good at easing owners through the RMA process.

(Just curious: Did you use an NTFS-formatted drive for the the BIOS file? Don't worry, it's only for my edification, I'm not with Asus...;) I'm wondering if that's the thing that most often causes failed BIOS flashes.)

zsld0423
04-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Don't go into detail with them....the point is that you have a dead laptop and it's under warranty.

You may want to contact Chastity over on the NBR Forum. He seems to be pretty good at easing owners through the RMA process.

(Just curious: Did you use an NTFS-formatted drive for the the BIOS file? Don't worry, it's only for my edification, I'm not with Asus...;) I'm wondering if that's the thing that most often causes failed BIOS flashes.)

I've always found that the best/easiest way to flash the BIOS is to drop the BIOS file in the C:\ Directory, then start up easyflash and browse the computer to it, so it eliminates the need for a USB and anything going wrong that way

BrodyBoy
04-04-2012, 04:59 PM
I've always found that the best/easiest way to flash the BIOS is to drop the BIOS file in the C:\ Directory, then start up easyflash and browse the computer to it, so it eliminates the need for a USB and anything going wrong that way
You've been very lucky, To be clear, ASUS G-Series OWNERS SHOULD NOT use this method.

NTFS is not supported outside of Windows and using an NTFS-formatted drive can cause flash failure. Because the G-series BIOSes do not have a built-in back-up and they don't seem to support the Aptio Emergency Flash rescue option, a bricked BIOS in these machines is reparable, but it means an inconvenient RMA to Asus.

zsld0423
04-04-2012, 05:01 PM
You've been very lucky, To be clear, ASUS G-Series OWNER SHOULD NOT use this method.

NTFS is not supported outside of Windows and using an NTFS-formatted drive can cause flash failure. Because the G-series BIOSes do not have a built-in back-up and they don't seem to support the Aptio Emergency Flash rescue option, a bricked BIOS in these machines is reparable, but it means an inconvenient RMA to Asus.

Whoops, heh, I guess I'll stop doing that then

dstrakele
04-04-2012, 05:09 PM
I tried to update my g74sx and after the update it wouldn't turn on, I used the ez flash in the bios and followed the instructions. Then I called tech support and they said it isn't covered under warranty. Is that true?

Hard reset? The person you spoke with at ASUS Tech Support didn't know what he was talking about... You were in the BIOS if you used Easy Flash. Windows wasn't even loaded! Hard Reset? Easy Flash doesn't need no stinkin' reset...

You can also PM Mason@ASUS on this forum for RMA assistance.

gameschess
04-04-2012, 06:19 PM
thanks guys, you've been very helpful. He said it was my fault because I didn't do the hard reset, but I read the owners manual and it says nothing about that. I called again and asked to speak to a manager, then suddenly he said they'd cover the shipping but didn't mention anything about fixing it. I'll send a message to mason. Hopefully they fix it because I'd like to keep doing business with ASUS.

gameschess
04-04-2012, 06:23 PM

I think it was a fat32, and it was a usb 3.0 in the 3.0 slot. To be honest though I saved a copy on the desktop and on the flash drive and i'm not sure which one I used when I updated it.

Also... I downloaded the manual and i'm going to point to it in reference. TBH even if I didn't have the warranty I followed the update instructions to the T and it still bricked >_< I think it should be covered. Sucks cause i'm going to PAX east this weekend and I was wanting to take my laptop.

gameschess
04-04-2012, 08:59 PM
UPDATE: I called again today and they said it is not covered under warranty. I asked them to provide this warranty information and they failed to do so. I just can't believe I have to go through this, why won't they accept my warranty, sigh. They escalated the case so hopefully i'll talk to someone else soon. I hope it doesn't come down to a lawsuit.

BrodyBoy
04-04-2012, 10:37 PM
UPDATE: I called again today and they said it is not covered under warranty. I asked them to provide this warranty information and they failed to do so. I just can't believe I have to go through this, why won't they accept my warranty, sigh. They escalated the case so hopefully i'll talk to someone else soon. I hope it doesn't come down to a lawsuit.
No...don't even go there. Lots of owners have gotten this covered under warranty. You just happened to talk to a dumb phone rep.

Did you try Chastity or Mason, as Drew & I previously suggested?

Boosted_R
04-04-2012, 10:57 PM
that's pretty crazy, and it IS COVERED under warranty. Its ridiculous ASUS has people like this working for them. Try talking to those BrodyBoy suggested........ your not the first to have this problem, but you need to talk with ASUS staff on this forum, PM all of them. Good luck

gameschess
04-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I talked to Mason and he said if they give me any more trouble to have them contact him. All seems to be well, from what i've heard it seems the RMA staff isn't updated. I'll let you know what else happens when I get my laptop back.

gameschess
04-13-2012, 05:36 AM
well they fixed it without even calling me, so all is well. I guess the guys on the phone were in another department. Thanks again guys for the moral support. :)

BrodyBoy
04-13-2012, 05:41 AM
I guess the guys on the phone "were in another department." (quotes added)
That's one way to put it! LOL!

(Another would be "they had no idea what they were talking about....")

chrsplmr
04-13-2012, 01:55 PM
... gamechess .. we knew it was over the second you said you talked to mason ...

nobody wants you happier with your machine than Asus .. not even you... well
..there is the guyz above that love these laptops.
Please come back and tell the next 'newMember' like yourself now .. your experience.

These laptops prove themselves amazing .. or speak up and someone will show you how.