PDA

View Full Version : XIII Hero PCH temp

Zeroed85
04-08-2021, 01:03 AM
I'm seeing 74-80C on my PCH and several others are also reporting this. Does this look to be normal for the XIII Hero? It seems a rather high temperature to be running on average...

ThomasRhin
04-08-2021, 03:34 AM
I'm seeing 74-80C on my PCH and several others are also reporting this. Does this look to be normal for the XIII Hero? It seems a rather high temperature to be running on average...

Remember to remove the protective film on the heatsink.

Zeroed85
04-08-2021, 05:13 AM

Are you saying there's a plastic film on a thermal pad between the PCH/Heatsink? If you mean the plastic film on the outside of the heatsink (ROG logo) then that is removed.

Saltgrass
04-08-2021, 07:18 AM
I just got a new board and I am seeing 65 degrees C in the Bios Monitoring page. Maybe it will go down over time or maybe that is normal.

When you refer to the Chipset heatsink, are you referring to the black metal cover on the chipset and not the plastic cover over it?

There may be a video card blowing hot air in that area.. I had to come up with new ways to cool my RTX-3090 since it blew hot air back inside the case..

Zeroed85
04-08-2021, 11:19 AM
I just got a new board and I am seeing 65 degrees C in the Bios Monitoring page. Maybe it will go down over time or maybe that is normal.

When you refer to the Chipset heatsink, are you referring to the black metal cover on the chipset and not the plastic cover over it?

There may be a video card blowing hot air in that area.. I had to come up with new ways to cool my RTX-3090 since it blew hot air back inside the case..

Which board? The XIII Hero? I have not removed the plastic cover (armor) above the PCH on my board. In the pictures I can see there is black metal heatsink on the PCH. My question is is there a thermal pad between the black metal heatsink and the plastic cover over it, perhaps with a plastic backing that needs removing? My GPU is watercooled and there isn't really any major heat buildup around the PCH...

Saltgrass
04-08-2021, 03:43 PM
I don't know what is under the Chipset cover, I have never taken that off.

The Plastic cover with the RGB lighting does have a plastic cover, to protect from scratching, that should be removed..

I will check my temps again, in the Bios to see if anything has changed since the board has been active for a while.

Edit: I just checked mine and it was showing 56 degrees C. Other components were sitting around 32-33 C

Zeroed85
04-09-2021, 03:49 AM
Guys might have figured it out, think it might be Thunderbolt driving those PCH temps... Disabled Thunderbolt in the BIOS and PCH now at 62C...

Saltgrass
04-11-2021, 02:30 PM
Guys might have figured it out, think it might be Thunderbolt driving those PCH temps... Disabled Thunderbolt in the BIOS and PCH now at 62C...

Nice to know, thanks. I had already disabled Thunderbolt so I was not seeing those temps.. I suppose the next question might be, what will the temps do if you were to actually be using Thunderbolt..

ThomasRhin
04-11-2021, 06:50 PM
I don't know what is under the Chipset cover, I have never taken that off.

The Plastic cover with the RGB lighting does have a plastic cover, to protect from scratching, that should be removed..

I will check my temps again, in the Bios to see if anything has changed since the board has been active for a while.

Edit: I just checked mine and it was showing 56 degrees C. Other components were sitting around 32-33‚° C

What's between the PCH chip and the black metal heatsink is a thermal pad around 1.0mm thick. You can replace the stock thermal pad with one of better thermal conductive performance.

I've replaced it with Thermalright odyssey thermal pad(1.0mm) and observed temperature drop of around 5~8 degree . DO NOT use thermal paste because the compression pressure that comes from the screws of the heatsink could crush the die of PCH. Thermal pad can provide physical protection from being crushed.

Ataemonus
04-12-2021, 08:20 PM
What's between the PCH chip and the black metal heatsink is a thermal pad around 1.0mm thick. You can replace the stock thermal pad with one of better thermal conductive performance.

I've replaced it with Thermalright odyssey thermal paste(1.0mm) and observed temperature drop of around 5~8 degree . DO NOT use thermal paste because the compression pressure that comes from the screws of the heatsink could crush the die of PCH. Thermal pad can provide physical protection from being crushed.
Wut ? Thermal paste that is 1mm thick ? And have you ever seen any thermal pad ? It prevents nothing from being crushed, the thermal pad is soft.
Also, the screws cannot be tighten so much that the heatsink can even make physical contact with the PCH, let alone crush it from too high mounting pressure.

hsm06
04-12-2021, 08:39 PM
The ROG Logo on the top of the PCH radiator is a plastic sheet,
Personally think this is a stupid design,
The suggestion is to remove the logo plastic sheet and do not install it.

Legolas
04-12-2021, 09:24 PM
if you afraid of high heat on the PCH, i usually have front inlet fan directly close to the PCH to cool it down. You can even add a chipset fan.

3dw4rdTm
04-14-2021, 09:34 PM

Thats relly effective??

Legolas
04-15-2021, 07:04 PM

I wonder what condition is when you have high temperature? Playing games? browser? Might be possible it takes more current to calculate with processor now due to new memory frequency and PCIE 4.0 lanes.

Ataemonus
04-15-2021, 07:20 PM
That is not how the PCH works, at all.

3dw4rdTm
04-16-2021, 06:37 AM
I wonder what condition is when you have high temperature? Playing games? browser? Might be possible it takes more current to calculate with processor now due to new memory frequency and PCIE 4.0 lanes.

In my case 62C after 30 mints idling.

CPU lanes are PCIe 4.0, chipset works with pcie 3.0 lanes.

Zeroed85
04-16-2021, 12:14 PM
With Thunderbolt disabled I start off fairly cool at 60-63C but still reach 70C after the system's been under some load...

EncodeGR
04-16-2021, 12:33 PM
With Thunderbolt disabled I start off fairly cool at 60-63C but still reach 70C after the system's been under some load...

Does your GPU have a 0-rpm mode ? If so, disable it and set its fan to 30-35% (should still be silent) in order to create some airflow around the PCH.

3dw4rdTm
04-16-2021, 04:29 PM
Does your GPU have a 0-rpm mode ? If so, disable it and set its fan to 30-35% (should still be silent) in order to create some airflow around the PCH.

That's works for me, 54C idling now with gpu fans enabled (62C before).

(Also i disabled from bios settings Thunderbolt, SATA ports not used, Ethertnet port 2 and USB motherboars ports in desuse).

thomas_yiu@ROG
04-16-2021, 04:38 PM
After checking internally, the ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO's PCH temperature is in normal operating temperature. The maximum heat dissipation is 108C.

Even though the device is idling, the system is still running, so an amount of heat would still be generated and you still see a certain temperature of your PCH.
I appreciate your feedback.

sl910
04-16-2021, 07:03 PM
In my case PCH temperature is reported through two channels using Hwinfo (v7.03) after 1 hour of MSFS flight simulator

Nuvoton NCT6798D: 86 C

ASUS EC: 67 C

I don't know which one is the "right" one

Specs: M13H Bios 0704+ i9-11900K stock + 4*16GB 3200 MHz Crucial RAM + RTX 3090 FE + Samsung 980 pro 1 TB (OS) + Samsung 970 Evo plus 2 TB for general data + Sandisk extreme pro NVMe 1TB for MSFS

Regards

loinad
04-16-2021, 07:46 PM
After checking internally, the ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO's PCH temperature is in normal operating temperature. The maximum heat dissipation is 108C.

Even though the device is idling, the system is still running, so an amount of heat would still be generated and you still see a certain temperature of your PCH.
I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks a lot for the info, Thomas. Intel releases a document called Thermal Mechanical Specifications and Design Guidelines (TMSDG) for the chipsets, but I couldn't find one for Z590 yet (all the few previous chipsets seem to have a Tj,max of 108C, too).

Could you please confirm the Tj,max for AMD's X570 chipset, if possible?

thomas_yiu@ROG
04-16-2021, 07:59 PM
Thanks a lot for the info, Thomas. Intel releases a document called Thermal Mechanical Specifications and Design Guidelines (TMSDG) for the chipsets, but I couldn't find one for Z590 yet (all the few previous chipsets seem to have a Tj,max of 108C, too).

Could you please confirm the Tj,max for AMD's X570 chipset, if possible?

Great.

I will check internally for you and get back to you about the Tjmax for AMD X570 chipset.

loinad
04-17-2021, 02:09 PM
Great.

I will check internally for you and get back to you about the Tjmax for AMD X570 chipset.

Really appreciated. :D

thomas_yiu@ROG
04-19-2021, 02:28 PM
Really appreciated. :D

The acceptable range for X570 chipset is min:40C-max: 65C.

Zeroed85
04-24-2021, 10:01 AM
Why is the PCH VCIIN 1.800V on this board? It seems extremely high compared to the older gen boards if I remember correctly.

3dw4rdTm
04-24-2021, 06:16 PM
i think that should be adjusted / fixed in new bios versions... (i hope so)

TasmaN
06-12-2021, 09:26 PM
Aorus master z590 and MSI Meg z590 ace owners are laughing with their 50-55C of PCH temp under the LOAD at us Hero XIII owners with the PCH temp of 75-80C at IDLE...if it is impossible to fix with new BIOS, so gona try to return this MOBO and take my money back...I paid 640$ for what....and stop saying about 108C...PCH warm area also warms RAM slots...

TasmaN
06-13-2021, 08:22 PM
Hi, everyone! Found some options: if set options like on my screenshot temperature of PCH is around 45-50C at idle. By default all of them are disabled...so no need to set a fan toward it as I did earlier. Maybe, ASUS should look this part of UEFI...

Grimpak
06-21-2021, 09:30 AM
Hi, everyone! Found some options: if set options like on my screenshot temperature of PCH is around 45-50C at idle. By default all of them are disabled...so no need to set a fan toward it as I did earlier. Maybe, ASUS should look this part of UEFI...

Have an apex too, disabled the SATA ports (not using them at all) and temperatures did drop quite a bit, from sometimes 80ºC to 52ºC avg.