PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G74SX cannot adjust screen brightness

refrax
04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my G74sx and adjusting the screen brightness. Here are the symptoms: I can press fn-f5 and fn-f6 to increase and decrease the brightness, and the little LCD BRIGHTNESS up/down animation happenes on the screen, the little pie graph spins around to show the current level of brightness and all, but the screen brightness does not change one bit. This is either on battery power or plugged into AC.

Also in Power4Gear, on all of the 4 available defualt options, the screen brightness slider is set to 0 and cannot be moved.

Here's what I have done to try to resolve: I have uninstalled, reinstalled, power4gear and the ATK apps. Done a clean nvidia 296.10 driver install.

This laptop is still running the factory install of windows et al from when I received it in January. I have not tried a full reinstall/factory restore, since it seems like a shotgun approach when there might be something simple I'm overlooking.

I've seen some similar threads, but just wanted to put in my particular experience, to see if anyone has ideas. I've tried most of the fixes listed in other threads, to no avail. Hopefully someone can assist here.

dstrakele
04-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Is this a relatively new problem? If so, try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before this issue occurred.

refrax
04-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Is this a relatively new problem? If so, try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before this issue occurred.

I honestly can't say when it started, I use my laptop as a desktop replacement 99% of the time, and only recently started hauling it around occasionally, so I never needed to lower the brightness of the screen. I tried to do so about 2 weeks ago to squeeze another 5 min out of my battery but the screen stayed 100% bright. I have not been able to find a setting inwindows that controls screen brightness, but the nvidia driver has an option to allow the driver to manage color settings, and I can adjust the brightness a bit in there, but I'm just wondering why the fn key suddenly would be doing the animation showing the brightness going down, but not actually changing the brightness. All the other Fkeys work as far as I can tell.

dstrakele
04-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Have you updated the NVIDIA driver version from what was shipped with your system? If so, I would use a Restore Point before the video driver change.

The ATK Package drivers that control brightness from the function keys interface with the NVIDIA driver. I suspect that relationship is damaged.

BrodyBoy
04-05-2012, 06:32 PM
I have not been able to find a setting inwindows that controls screen brightness, but the nvidia driver has an option to allow the driver to manage color settings, and I can adjust the brightness a bit in there, but I'm just wondering why the fn key suddenly would be doing the animation showing the brightness going down, but not actually changing the brightness. All the other Fkeys work as far as I can tell.
Sounds suspiciously like one of those quirky P4G problems. (I'd completely uninstall that program and just use Windows power management tools.) Try hitting the Windows key + X ....that'll pull up Windows Mobility Center, where you should have the Windows brightness slider.

zsld0423
04-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I had this exact issue with my G74, the problem is the newest ATK package, the .0015 version. It wouldn't let me change the brightness of my screen until I uninstalled it and rolled back to the .0014 driver

refrax
04-06-2012, 01:54 AM
I have a new symptom to report now. :) I can get the brightness of the screen to adjust using the shortcut keys now... sort of. If I press fn-f5 the animation pops up and shows the brightness being lowered, but of course it stays at 100% brightness. HOWEVER, if I unplug the ac cable after I've turned the brightness all the way down using the keyboard shortcut, THEN the screen dims to the proper brightness level. Plugging the power supply back in does not cause it to go back to full brightness, in face if no changes made using the fn-f5 or fn-f6 keys make any difference on screen, UNTIL I plug int he power cable. Then the brightness of the screen becomes whatever I have selected with the fn keys.

curiouser and curiouser. :)

EDIT: I tried to downgrade ATK to 0014 as zsld0423 suggested it worked for him. This did not change he behavior of my unit. Still only changes brightness if I unplug the ac cable after having lowered/raised the brightness using the fn key. System restore also has not worked, tried a couple restore points, but I'm not sure where it started, so kind of shooting in the dark. MIght just have to do that clean install after all :/

dstrakele
04-06-2012, 02:22 AM
What happens if you uninstall Brody's suspect - Power4Gear? And REBOOT...

It certainly has the symptoms of a power management issue.

BrodyBoy
04-06-2012, 02:23 AM
curiouser and curiouser. :)
Not really.....

It continues to reinforce my suspicion that P4G is lurking behind the curtains in all this.

refrax
04-07-2012, 12:46 AM
I uninstalled P4G and rebooted, same problem still. I see the animation, but no brightness changes on the monitor. I also tried Windows Mobility Center, and it doesn't have an option for brightness in there. Lots of other selectors, but no brightness.

dstrakele
04-07-2012, 02:41 AM
If you uninstall the NVIDIA driver and reboot so that Windows installs the PlugNPlay VGA driver, can Windows then control brightness? If not, I'd be doin' the clean install.

refrax
04-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Ok I uninstalled the 295.73 nvidia driver I was using, and rebooted. WIndows reinstalled a display driver and forced a reboot, when I came back up, I noticed it had installed the 285.62 version of the nvidia driver, the one which basically came with the PC. Now I can control brightness in windows, and with the fn key.

I have been updating the nvidia display driver when prompted by the nvidia tray icon, is that a bad idea? Are there special drivers that Asus provides? I guess, this being a laptop there might be special stuff they might adjust on the driver, but I don't know much about such things honestly. I've seen people on here talking about using the driver from nvidia without problem, which was why I was updating whenever a new one was available. I also never use the beta drivers, only the stables.

But anyhow, looks like it was an nvidia problem the whole time I guess. Thanks dstrakele!

dstrakele
04-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Glad to hear you resolved the issue! I suspect it is caused by NVIDIA driver remnants on your system.

Your latest video driver change seems like unusual behavior to me. AFAIK, the G74SX ships with 268.37. It makes me wonder if you were ever getting a "clean" NVIDIA install.

But I'd rather have 285.62 than 268.37. The key will be if the behavior returns when you upgrade beyond 285.62. If Driver Sweeper and CCleaner can't remove all traces of the NVIDIA driver, then an ASUS Factory Restore or clean Windows install may be necessary.

In the case of video drivers, I don't believe it is a good idea to update unless you are.trying to increase performance in a specific game as discussed in the release notes or to resolve a video issue. Even then, it is important to create a Restore Point, backup a Windows System Image, or clone a partition to give you the ability to completely UNDO the changes.

I'm currently running 295.73 without any issues.

BrodyBoy
04-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I have been updating the nvidia display driver when prompted by the nvidia tray icon, is that a bad idea?
When I do nVidia installs, I select the advanced options and uncheck that automatic updater thingy. Particularly with video drivers, it's better to manually install the ones you know you want, rather than just accept whatever a widget says. (Plus, it's just one more piece of unnecessary software running in the background.)

Azzazel
04-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Hello All,

It's been a while since i have last checked these forums and I must say , I am very glad that someone finally managed to resolve this problem.

I have had a couple of posts for this issue but still couldn't get it fixed.

@Refrax

You will be surprised of how many things i have tried to solve this and knowing you found a way to fix it.

Sorry to ask you but and i dont want to take too much of your time but , is there any chance you can please send me the steps you have taken to resolve this issue.

Appreciate the help from everyone.

Azzazel
04-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Help please i am still stuck here.

thank you

PILGRIM
04-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Help please i am still stuck here..

Have you tried the newer ASUS' certified nVidia 296.16?

dstrakele
04-20-2012, 02:00 PM
There is a reported pink screen issue with NVIDIA 296.16, so I'd probably shy away from that version when troubleshooting this issue (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12190-g74sx-3D.-Screen-turns-a-static-Pink-out-of-nowhere.)

I'd recommend uninstalling your current NVIDIA driver and rebooting to allow Windows to install the Plug N Play VGA driver. After rebooting, test to see if you can now adjust brightness.

Consider booting into Safe Mode and using Driver Sweeper to remove any NVIDIA remnants (if they exist). Then install NVIDIA 285.62 WHQL from Safe Mode (as #refax did to resolve his issue, choosing "Custom Install" and checking the "Clean Install" checkbox. Do NOT choose Automatic Updating.

Azzazel
05-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the tip dstrakele.

I'll try your advice and let you know how it would end up.