PDA

View Full Version : Wake on LAN Bios Setting

edcoppen
05-14-2021, 10:12 AM
I have a ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING and I want to use Wake on LAN.
There does not seem to be a relevant setting anywhere in the bios.
Please can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Saltgrass
05-14-2021, 12:01 PM
It is normally in the Device Manager Properties for the device and a Power Management tab..

edcoppen
05-14-2021, 03:47 PM
I have enabled that already. I believe it needs to be specifically turned on in the BIOS but cant find the relevant setting. Any pointers to whether this MoBo supports it and/or where to find BIOS settings would most appreciated.

bscool
05-14-2021, 04:39 PM
I think it is under Advanced tab, Network Stack.

Also at the top of the bios there is a search tab in most bios now days.

edcoppen
05-16-2021, 08:00 AM
Thanks, I will have another look in the BIOS when I am at the PC next week. Software side setting shared below:

edcoppen
05-17-2021, 09:09 PM
Sadly I cant find it under network stack or anywhere else. Is wake on lan always supported or is there a chance this MoBo does not have that feature?

bscool
05-17-2021, 11:18 PM
Maybe try this https://youtu.be/MCizY0Iw8xY I have never used Wake On Lan so I am not sure.

Saltgrass
05-18-2021, 12:04 AM
Sadly I cant find it under network stack or anywhere else. Is wake on lan always supported or is there a chance this MoBo does not have that feature?

Can I ask why you show to only allow a Magic Packet to wake the system? If you wanted to test if it wakes, uncheck that to see if it does.. If it does wake up, the command below should tell you what woke it..

powercfg /lastwake

edcoppen
05-18-2021, 05:14 PM
Maybe try this https://youtu.be/MCizY0Iw8xY I have never used Wake On Lan so I am not sure.
Unfortunately I seem to have a different bios without that layout/option.

edcoppen
05-18-2021, 05:17 PM
Can I ask why you show to only allow a Magic Packet to wake the system? If you wanted to test if it wakes, uncheck that to see if it does.. If it does wake up, the command below should tell you what woke it..

powercfg /lastwake

So I have two computers on the same network. One is always turned on, while the second is usually off. I want to use the first PC to turn the 2nd one occasionally. I know logmein supposedly supports this and they say to enable that setting here (https://documentation.logmein.com/webhelp/en/logmeingetstart/LogMeIn/c_host_preferences_troubleshooting_WOL_PC.html).

I guess I dont have to use logmein. Is there another program I could use to test this?

bscool
05-18-2021, 05:21 PM
Why are you on Asus form/site when you have Gigabyte? lol I thought you were using a random screen shot but if that is your bios well............ I am so confused ;)

I take it one of the systems is Gigabyte, it just makes it confusing when you post screen shots of the Gigabyte bios when you started out asking about an Asus MB.

edcoppen
05-22-2021, 01:39 PM
I feel like a right idiot... I originally ordered an Asus MoBo but had issues and ended up swapping it. I wasn't at home when I started this thread so I looked at original receipt to see the exact board I had, but forgot about the swap!

Sorry all! :o

Just in case there are any other idiots on this Asus site but who own a Gigabyte board... I just found this on their site...

"At first, please try to get into BIOS setup program. Then under Power Management section, please try to enable PME EVENT WAKE UP option and save the setting to exit the program. After reboot into Windows, please open Device Manager, then check the status of LAN controller and enable the device wake up option later."