PDA

View Full Version : Colors not displaying properly in browsers?

Charlotte217
04-07-2012, 03:34 PM
First off, I have the G74SX-AH71, which has a 1920x1080 resolution and a Nvidia 560m. I was working on my web design project for class, and a group member had used the hexadecimal color #400000, which is a deep maroon. On my computer, it showed up as black (no doubt about it), but on every other computer it was definitely maroon. I played with my settings, and talked to my teacher after class, and he did not know what could cause it. I loaded up a color selector on both my laptop and desktop to compare ( specifically, this http://www.colorhunter.com/tag/123456/1 webpage). #0D150D is a dark green, which shows up as black on my laptop. #171C1D is a dark gray, that shows up as black. #294F70 is a blueish color (can't properly describe it), but shows up as a true blue color on my computer (not the correct blue). I thought it might be just nonweb-safe colors, but #330033 is web-safe and shows up as black.

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking that I just need to check or uncheck some setting, but I'm not sure what and could not find a thread about it. I see no issue with gaming on my laptop versus desktop. I've tried both Firefox and Chrome and both have the same issue. Any suggestions on what it could be?

dstrakele
04-07-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm thinking this may be due to ASUS Splendid (http://www.asus.com/999/html/share/2/icon/137/index.htm) or another of the ASUS pre-installed "Bloatware" applications used to control screen color. I'm not experiencing this issue on my clean Windows installation which is missing these ASUS utilities. The colors appear as you describe, rather than black. BTW - Good idea providing the "color hunter" web page URL to test it! I would try unistalling ASUS Splendid to see if the colors return to your display.

Another possibility is the 'Adjust desktop color settings" section in NVIDIA Control Panel is configured to "Use NVIDIA settings" rather than the default "Other applications control color settings". I would check this first before uninstalling ASUS Splendid.

A 3rd possibility is Windows Color Calibration. I am running the default settings (haven't used this utility). If you have fiddled with it in an attempt to resolve your issue, I recommend choosing to use the default settings.