PDA

View Full Version : Questions on MoBo.

Tech_Rat
04-07-2012, 06:43 PM
So, I was taking a look at way too many things at once, and came across the fact that Win7 Pro and Win7 Ultimate can support two physical processors. I was looking about, and found several decent two proc mobo's for a good rate.

Question: Any thoughts on using a server mobo for a gaming build? Best info I could find seemed several years old.

HiVizMan
04-08-2012, 09:16 AM
There will be no benefit to gaming at all. If you are folding 24/7 then yes.

Why would you want to go that route? :)

Tech_Rat
04-08-2012, 09:21 AM
So, rockin' out with two six-core CPUs HT'd, running 4.1GHz per core wouldn't be productive?

Because I could. :)

HiVizMan
04-08-2012, 09:35 AM
So, rockin' out with two six-core CPUs HT'd, running 4.1GHz per core wouldn't be productive?

Because I could. :)

You are my kind of guy.

Sadly no there will be no gains in gaming at all. It is all about the optimisation of the game/application and currently dual threads are about it. The quads and hex core CPU's just allow you to have background stuff going on without any hit in performance.

Tech_Rat
04-09-2012, 03:00 AM
'Tis a shame. I guess I could build it if I ever needed a dedicated server. Now I'm stuck wondering what a ROG class dual-proc, SLI ready MoBo would look like, what with them now implementing a water cooler design on some boards.

_
04-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Yea you can use it for gaming and some still have SLI/CF support, but like HiVis said the extra CPU adds nothing to your game.

Check this out if you want a pro dual-CPU board: http://rog.asus.com/80332012/overclocking/asus-z9pe-d8-ws-dual-socket-lga2011-with-a-dash-of-overclocking/

Bear in mind the CPU cost as well, cause 2 CPUs require Xeons.

Tech_Rat
04-09-2012, 06:21 AM
Well, since it adds nothing... Would it detract from? Some(outdated) research claims the MoBos have chip speed limits. If this is true, then not only would it be a pricey idea, but a bad one as well.

I'm not so knowledgable on everything OC related, I've just been a rig builder, and always worked within pre set limits(none of my clients ever really needed much).

HiVizMan
04-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Let me put it this way. I will out perform a dual CPU rig in 99% of all games and applications with an 2500K and a moderately good air cooler, the single socket will over-clock much better if my time with the SR1 is anything to go by and it will cost me a whole heap less grief in trying to get the system stable, oh and a whole lot less money too. For performance in games you simply want a CPU that will allow the full potential of he VGA to be used.