PDA

View Full Version : Asus G53S AC Adapter issues

Crisbee
04-07-2012, 10:33 PM
When I plug in the adapter the mode switches rapidly from battery mode to ac adapter mode. I have to position it in a certain way in order for the computer to actually charge. The problem is likely not associated with the adapter because I tried another adapter (same type), the exact same situation occurred.

dstrakele
04-07-2012, 11:27 PM
The G53 series laptops are apparently susceptible to the power connector pin breaking off into the power adapter plug. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1800-power-connector-pin-broke-on-my-G53jw&p=38857&viewfull=1#post38857 for a picture of the problem. It is part of a long thread discussing this issue that began over a year ago - 3/5/2011 to be exact.

In my opinion, the design of the power connector pin is flawed. It becomes very thin in diameter with no support after the solder connection to the motherboard. Any movement of the power plug flexes the pin at this weak point and eventually results in its breakage.

Unfortunately, I suspect your power connector pin is bending, resulting in a poor connection to the power adapter plug, resulting in the switching behavior you report. I agree with your assessment it is likely NOT a power adapter issue.

Some users have purchased a right angle adapter for the power plug to relieve side-to-side pressure on the power connector pin, but I suspect you will still need to be very careful to avoid breakage even when using this preventative measure. There are links for purchasing such an adapter in the referenced thread.

Crisbee
04-07-2012, 11:55 PM
The G53 series laptops are apparently susceptible to the power connector pin breaking off into the power adapter plug. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1800-power-connector-pin-broke-on-my-G53jw&p=38857&viewfull=1#post38857 for a picture of the problem. It is part of a long thread discussing this issue that began over a year ago - 3/5/2011 to be exact.

In my opinion, the design of the power connector pin is flawed. It becomes very thin in diameter with no support after the solder connection to the motherboard. Any movement of the power plug flexes the pin at this weak point and eventually results in its breakage.

Unfortunately, I suspect your power connector pin is bending, resulting in a poor connection to the power adapter plug, resulting in the switching behavior you report. I agree with your assessment it is likely NOT a power adapter issue.

Some users have purchased a right angle adapter for the power plug to relieve side-to-side pressure on the power connector pin, but I suspect you will still need to be very careful to avoid breakage even when using this preventative measure. There are links for purchasing such an adapter in the referenced thread.Thank you for the support, more productive than my encounters with the ASUS support line. Luckily, my power plug has not reached that point yet. Would you happen to know if purchasing a right angle adapter also increase the chances my computer has to charge?

dstrakele
04-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Unfortunately, I have no idea. How long have you had your G53?

A poorly-seated battery or bad battery can cause switching charging behavior. Check that it is properly seated and doesn't wiggle around in the battery bay. Use HWINFO64 to check your battery's Wear Level.

Crisbee
04-08-2012, 04:24 AM
I am on the verge of having my G53 for the sixth month. The battery has little wear at the moment. 2.2% to be, precise.
Hm, my laptop battery does move in the battery bay a bit.

dstrakele
04-08-2012, 04:33 AM
It may be worthwhile shimming it in more tightly with strips of plastic to see if it resolves the issue, although it does seem more likely to be occurring at the plug site from your description.

Your battery Wear Level is fine for 6 months of use - no problem there...

Bizzness305
01-02-2013, 09:39 PM
My pin has broke off into the the charger, but it was fixed, but now I'm having the same problem off it cutting on and off. I opened up the laptop and noticed the Ac adapter loose and melted slightly underneath. It also started to damage my network adapter. Any longer and things would have got worse. Asus G53s. Need to find out where I can purchase the Ac adapter, and hopefully fix this problem.

Pitcher@asus
01-03-2013, 05:49 AM
please visit ASUS e-store to buy it, http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=54

justcansin
01-03-2013, 08:47 AM
good info to me, I opened up the laptop and noticed the Ac adapter loose and melted slightly underneath.http://www.4948.info/xinjiechi/images/yeahok