PDA

View Full Version : slimtype bd e ds4e1s WILL NOT READ ANY MEDIA

uniqorn2009
04-08-2012, 03:26 AM
I researched the forums for information to fix my dvd/rom but looks like there isn't any solutions! I've seen post after post of people that have the same slimtype bd e ds4e1s as I do on the same laptop G74S. And it also seems that they're all screwing up at the same time! I've do all the fixes they said to do. I did have the high and low pass filter in my registry, but it still had no effect as far as my player reconizing any media. Is there a recall on this particular one? If not it should be. Are there anymore solutions out there that hasn't been tried short of replacing the drive. I need my drive for my graphic work. I don't have time to send or take it anywhere. So if they'll send me one that would be great. On the tech page it said to upgrade the driver with the firmware, but there isn't any for these types of plug and play devices. I need help!

dstrakele
04-08-2012, 04:10 AM
I've do all the fixes they said to do. I did have the high and low pass filter in my registry, but it still had no effect as far as my player reconizing any media.

I don't believe you understand the registry fix. It recommends to DELETE the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values from the registry and reboot so the changes can take effect. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10427-G74SX-slimtype-problem&p=72363&viewfull=1#post72363

#fostert's idea to configure your system to boot from the ODD in the BIOS and then place a bootable CD in it (like a Windows installation disk or Windows Repair disk) to see if it can be read before Windows is loaded is another useful troubleshooting step in that thread.

uniqorn2009
04-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I did delete them, I didn't state it right

BrodyBoy
04-09-2012, 06:17 PM
I did delete them, I didn't state it right
Did the drive ever work? Or did it just suddenly stop sometime recently?

uniqorn2009
04-09-2012, 07:19 PM
It just stopped. I've searched every forum about this problem I could find. I sent a email to tech support and haven't heard anything back from them. I also tried to boot with a bootable disk that also failed

BrodyBoy
04-09-2012, 07:34 PM
You have probably already done this, but make sure it didn't somehow get locked in the BIOS. It's worth checking.

Beyond that, any possibility of doing a system restore back to before the failure? Of course, it's possible that the hardware itself has failed, in which case it needs replacement. But a restore might help diagnose whether it's just the software that's gotten messed up.

Another thing you could try, if you have another laptop or a helpful friend with one, is to pop another drive in there. (They are all pretty much PnP SATA devices now, and held in place by just one or two easily-accessible screws, so it's easy to do.) If it installs and works immediately, that could point to hardware failure with your BD drive.

uniqorn2009
04-09-2012, 08:19 PM
You have probably already done this, but make sure it didn't somehow get locked in the BIOS. It's worth checking.

Beyond that, any possibility of doing a system restore back to before the failure? Of course, it's possible that the hardware itself has failed, in which case it needs replacement. But a restore might help diagnose whether it's just the software that's gotten messed up.

Another thing you could try, if you have another laptop or a helpful friend with one, is to pop another drive in there. (They are all pretty much PnP SATA devices now, and held in place by just one or two easily-accessible screws, so it's easy to do.) If it installs and works immediately, that could point to hardware failure with your BD drive.

How do find out if it's locked?

BrodyBoy
04-09-2012, 08:24 PM
How do find out if it's locked?
(Use the arrow keys to navigate within the BIOS setup utility.)

Boot into BIOS Setup (Press F2 immediately and repeatedly after powering up)
Navigate right to the "Security" tab
Navigate down to "I/O Interface Security" and hit ENTER
Make sure that "SATA ODD Interface" is set to [Unlock]
Press F10 to save and exit

uniqorn2009
04-09-2012, 08:55 PM
(Use the arrow keys to navigate within the BIOS setup utility.)

Boot into BIOS Setup (Press F2 immediately and repeatedly after powering up)
Navigate right to the "Security" tab
Navigate down to "I/O Interface Security" and hit ENTER
Make sure that "SATA ODD Interface" is set to [Unlock]
Press F10 to save and exit

everythings unlocked

dstrakele
04-09-2012, 09:37 PM
You could also try removing and replacing your current SLIMTYPE BD drive. I keep seeing threads about users experiencing hardware problems, they disassemble the machine, find NOTHING wrong, reassemble, and everything works fine after startup. You could just have a poor connection that eventually resulted in read failure. Anyway, I think it's worth it as a last shot.... You could even try testing the drive in another computer.

uniqorn2009
04-09-2012, 11:32 PM
You could also try removing and replacing your current SLIMTYPE BD drive. I keep seeing threads about users experiencing hardware problems, they disassemble the machine, find NOTHING wrong, reassemble, and everything works fine after startup. You could just have a poor connection that eventually resulted in read failure. Anyway, I think it's worth it as a last shot.... You could even try testing the drive in another computer.

Well I removed the drive to find out that my old laptop is an ATA while my Asus is an SATA so I couldn't check to see if it would work in another system.

uniqorn2009
04-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Well I removed the drive to find out that my old laptop is an ATA while my Asus is an SATA so I couldn't check to see if it would work in another system.

Well guess what!! After all the troubleshooting, when put my drive back in, something told me to put in a disk. It's working now!! So I guess something jarred loose. This case they gave me isn't well padded. While taking the drive out, I saw all kind of dings and chips from where the laptop was rubbing inside my case. So by it boucing around inside the case it must have hit hard while rolling. The material inside the case is all worn also. I've been trying to find the correct case for this computer. The G74SX is built in such an odd shape, I couldn't find a case for it. I finally settle for a case logic and was using the compartment for the files instead. I contacted Targus later and they told me that they have one to fit it. I guess I got to save my pennys and get it.

dstrakele
04-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Well guess what!! After all the troubleshooting, when put my drive back in, something told me to put in a disk. It's working now!! So I guess something jarred loose. This case they gave me isn't well padded. While taking the drive out, I saw all kind of dings and chips from where the laptop was rubbing inside my case. So by it boucing around inside the case it must have hit hard while rolling.

Welcome to the club of users who just disassembled and reassembled to resolve their ASUS laptop hardware problems. You are not the first person to encounter problems due to a rolling case (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6123-Display-not-working&p=44715&viewfull=1#post44715).

I don't believe rolling cases are the way to go for these laptops. No matter how well-padded and tight-fitting, I believe the jarring and vibration from rolling cases eventually shakes the laptop apart.

I also believe shaking and jarring are responsible for many of the "black screen on startup" issues that troubleshoot out to failed LVDS cable connection diagnoses. ...and it's not that these systems are shaken or jarred hard, they just shake apart easily.

uniqorn2009
04-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Welcome to the club of users who just disassembled and reassembled to resolve their ASUS laptop hardware problems. You are not the first person to encounter problems due to a rolling case (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6123-Display-not-working&p=44715&viewfull=1#post44715).

I don't believe rolling cases are the way to go for these laptops. No matter how well-padded and tight-fitting, I believe the jarring from rolling cases eventually shakes the laptop apart.

I also believe shaking and jarring are responsible for many of the "black screen on startup" issues that troubleshoot out to failed LVDS cable connection diagnoses. ...and it's not that these systems are shaken or jarred hard, they just shake apart easily.

Well for this size laptop, Does ASUS have one that will fit it?

dstrakele
04-10-2012, 01:39 AM
I don't know about ASUS, but

1) http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5800-G74SX-Case

2) http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3516-G74-Backpack-Selection

3) http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9976-ASUS-ROG-Shuttle-Backpack

discuss some choices.

You could still use your rolling case, but I recommend carrying it if the laptop is inside. Or NOT, if you're like Brody and LIKE taking your laptop apart and putting it back together again. ;>{)>

black-bean
05-12-2012, 05:26 PM
so i have the same problem of this slimtype BD refuse to read any kind of CD, DVD and BD.
did everything suggested in this thread and its links.
which includes:
1. removing the registry filters from regedit
2. use windows selffix program
3. update firmware
4. dissassemble and re assemble
all to no avails.

until i decided to redid the step 4 (dissasemble and reassemble) but this time i added cleaning, clean the lens and blowing the inside motors, and guess what still didn't work!!!

ok, so i decided to do the step 4 again for the last time before i throw the damn thing and replace it with a new one, this time i managed to take off the front plate and boy the inside was full of lints, especially the ones near the eject button.
so i cleaned em up good, put it back in the bay, start up the windows, put in a cd and voila i can hear the sweet humming sound of the BD-rom motor, and i already knew at that point that its working.

tested it with various CD, DVD and BD, high and low quality ones, all readable.

so hopefully if anyone had this problem and reading this, this might help. and i do hope this will help a lot of people out there.

dstrakele
05-12-2012, 05:33 PM
+1 @black-bean! Interesting solution - glad you posted it for all to see...

BrodyBoy
05-12-2012, 06:01 PM
+2 @black-bean!

I hadn't thought about it before, but if we're talking about a G74, this really makes a lot of sense! The ODD bay is the one huge opening into the chassis. Many have been surprised at how small the little cooling-system intake grilles are (in the top cover).....if those are a bit undersized, it makes perfect sense that the computer might be sucking air in through the ODD opening, which would essentially make the drive itself an air filter!

We've never had any of these issues with our G74's ODD, but now I'm curious to pull it out and see if it's getting dirty.

dstrakele
05-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm way ahead of you, Brody. I just filed a patent for a CD-shaped air filter....

BrodyBoy
05-12-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm way ahead of you, Brody. I just filed a patent for a CD-shaped air filter....
Doh! I thought this was going to be my road to fame & fortune!

mjmann502
05-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Hey guys...Thanks for the tips. I will try this as soon as I get home next week. Needless to say I was quite frustrated in my hotel room this week when I thought I was going to get to watch a DVD after work one night...but alas, it doesn't work.

Mine does something different sometimes though. It will start to play the DVD and then stop part of the way through and just have a black screen. It only got this far after I updated my video drivers...previously it would not read any movies or videos from DVDs. If it was just saved as data however, then it would read. I am going to attempt this fix next anyway just to see if it helps.

Thanks for the tips and I will let you know how it goes. :cool:

tfitz
06-11-2012, 01:35 AM
I'm having a hard time with mine reading blu-rays. I have dozens of them and it will only read one (Green Lantern). All others don't read at all. Firmware is 6.1.7601.17514. Actually, Forgetting Sarah Marshall read 1 time, but won't anymore. It used to read all my Blu-Rays, as I ran digital copies of most of them.

is there a firmware update (it doesn't find one on it's own)?

Should I take mine apart?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

scootscomputes
12-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Almost 2 years old now. When I first got it if I put a BR disc in it would windup right away. About a month in it started being very sporadic. Sometimes read sometimes not. I gave up on it long ago. You guys talk about taking the laptop apart and pulling player cleaning and re installing. How do you take it out? I was very disappointed with this in the laptop. Top dollar spent and didn't work.

scootscomputes
12-29-2012, 01:28 AM
bump for a responce

dstrakele
12-29-2012, 11:32 PM
DVD Player removal is typically very straightforward:

1) Unplug the laptop
2) Remove the battery
3) Remove the screw(s) holding the player from the back of the laptop
4) Remove the player from the laptop

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nj_sizEBw8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3Nj_sizEBw8 will give you the general idea.

You might check if your laptop is still under Warranty. If so, RMA it to ASUS for Warranty repair. It'll be an easy fix... If it's not still under warranty, and you can't fix it, a new replacement isn't that expensive.

scootscomputes
12-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks DS. I was in contact with them. They will repair for a small fee as its still under warranty. But I won't send in my unit. So looks like its on me. First I just want to pull the player out, clean, then re install. I'm not totally convinced its the player tho. Still thinking it may be a driver/software issue. Like I stated this started acting up when the unit wasn't very old. I re-installed once with my backup and that fixed it for a spell. Since its been hit or miss. Some days no BR some days no DVD. very sporadic. Thanks for the Video link, didn't know it was that easy, and for your time. Scott

abwc066
01-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Hi, after reading all the forums and fixes nothing worked. Removed drive, cleaned, deleted registry keys and upgraded the firmware.

Found the asus downlaods here: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74Sx&p=3&s=336&os=30&hashedid=LUFmeP8fwFruEdH7

and under Utilities I downloaded and installed:

ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities

KB Filter Driver

and my drive works flawlessly now. Not sure which one you need or if you need both but I hope this helps

Please let me know if it worked for you too.

Metsik
03-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Hey, there!

If you happen to have Mcafee, try disabling the real time scanning and re inserting the disc. This goes for anyone else still having the problem. I've been looking up and down all kinds of forums with this very same problem and no one's fix worked for me. I happened to look at my performance monitor and saw that mcafee spiked whenever I inserted the disc. I did a little experimentation and after disabling the real time scanning. It read everything no problem. I re enabled it and instantly started having the same problems. Hopefully this helps anyone else who googles this problem

Weidorje
07-17-2013, 04:50 PM
I have the same problem, I've tried any solution found in the web without any success and now I wonder why ASUS doesn't help. That's them who sell this ****!

TheTallJS
09-24-2013, 03:57 AM
I confirm with downloading the utility from the support.asus.com website.
Downloaded it and installed/repaired whatever it is and now the drive works again.

Edit*
Gawdamit, installed another windows update and damn bluray drive doesn't read again... >_<

Donald.C
03-26-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm having the same problem. Contacted ASUS and they promptly replied with " scan for hardware changes in device manager" " download and reinstall v9.2.0.2015 chipset driver" " load bios default save / exit and reboot". All with negative results.

pickapprentice01
10-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Hi everyone,

sorry for digging up that old thread, but i thought there might still be people around struggling with the infamous "bd e ds4e1s", just as myself, and i wanted to post the possible sollution to the problem, which did in fact work for me.

Again, the problems i had were the same everyone had aswell - the drive was being recognized by the system, no errors whatsoever, but still it didnt read anything. Just the initial spin when inserting any media, but no "grabbing" onto the dvd/cd/bd and further processing it; instead, it was spitting out the disc and asking for actually inserting any media.
I tried all the software-related troubleshootings without any succes.

Surprisingly, uniqorn2009's lucky findings, as written on page 2 of this thread, brought me on right path -

Well guess what!! After all the troubleshooting, when put my drive back in, something told me to put in a disk. It's working now!! So I guess something jarred loose. This case they gave me isn't well padded. While taking the drive out, I saw all kind of dings and chips from where the laptop was rubbing inside my case. So by it boucing around inside the case it must have hit hard while rolling. The material inside the case is all worn also. I've been trying to find the correct case for this computer. The G74SX is built in such an odd shape, I couldn't find a case for it. I finally settle for a case logic and was using the compartment for the files instead. I contacted Targus later and they told me that they have one to fit it. I guess I got to save my pennys and get it.

In my desperation, I also tried removing and re-inserting the drive as a whole from the notbook. But without any success.
On a second try though, i removed the drive and then also opened up the drive itself and disassembled it (just as far as i could go with my lack of technical knowledge). I found some clumps of dust being stuck there, nothing out of the ordinary, and used an air compressor to clean everything up.
And surprisingly, and with no expectations, after a clean reassessment, everything is now working just fine for me.

So overall: If you experience problems with your "bd e ds4e1s" at this point and have already tried any of the software-related fixes that are being suggested in various forums, i encourage you to do a quick and clean dis- and reassemlby of the drive. It might work, at least it did for me...

dogfart
10-12-2014, 09:35 PM
EDIT: nevermind