PDA

View Full Version : G74Sx pROBLEM

dations9
04-08-2012, 09:15 PM
i was playing games today, not too much of a load but definitely a load, was running boosting programs, temps were safe.

Suddenly black screen power off.

I adjusted the power cord and the power button came back on. But nothing, clicks anything wont activate either the screen or the laptop.

it WILL NOT power off so i had to remove the battery

i tried the hold power button thing to remove static but im not sure i did it correctly due to no support on the weekends.

Opened up back did not touch anything in case i was charged but everything looked fine.

i tried using the fn key and turning on the lcd but nothing works.

It sounds as if the fans start on startup but its hard to tell just on the startup. They might not be going on.

No idea what happened the power bar and cord seems fine.

dations9
04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
double checked pretty sure the fans are not starting or at least they are barely moving

dstrakele
04-08-2012, 10:32 PM
How long have you owned this laptop? Are you still within your retailer's exchange/return policy?

dations9
04-08-2012, 11:02 PM
no, but i bought an extended warranty,

basically is it kaput?

and thanks for the reply

dstrakele
04-08-2012, 11:27 PM
I would try reseating memory and HDD(s) as a last attempt to bring it back to life before an RMA. Make sure there are no peripheral devices attached and nothing in the card reader when you restart.

If this fails, unplug it, remove the battery, hold the Power On button down for 30 seconds, plug it in (without battery), and try to start it.

dations9
04-08-2012, 11:41 PM
ok thanks ill try

dations9
04-09-2012, 12:09 AM
maybe this is a noewbie question, but how do you reset HDD with no screen or access to the computer?

dations9
04-09-2012, 12:41 AM
sorry u said reseating ok ill try

dations9
04-09-2012, 01:08 AM
NO LUCK :( time to enter the pain of warranty disputes

thanks for the help any last minute advice that does not void warranty?

BrodyBoy
04-09-2012, 02:02 AM
NO LUCK :( time to enter the pain of warranty disputes

thanks for the help any last minute advice that does not void warranty?
I'm a little unclear.......it's completely dead when you hit the power button, or shows some signs of life but doesn't boot?

dations9
04-09-2012, 01:31 PM
it's power light comes on and it sound as if the HDD may be starting, but other than that absolutely nothing on start up

PILGRIM
04-09-2012, 03:05 PM
it's power light comes on and it sound as if the HDD may be starting, but other than that absolutely nothing on start up

It could be caused by a faulty OS Disk..
Try removing OS Disk and replacing it with any working spare HDD.
Then insert a copy of Windows OS via CD-ROM or USB to make a "pseudo-installation".
(It's to test whether screen still turns on or not. If it turns on, abort installation process.)

If it turns out this is the source of the problem, it will give you the options of either RMA
or just use any working HDD at hand.

dations9
04-09-2012, 03:27 PM
ok will do

MrRuckus
04-09-2012, 03:53 PM
I would also try to boot it with no HDD's in the machine. I would pull both of the drives out and then start it. Just to see if you can even get it to post. Maybe also pull all but 1 memory stick. Something to try anyway. good luck man.

BrodyBoy
04-09-2012, 05:00 PM
The lack of an error message (from the BIOS) is a little disconcerting. This type of shutdown caused by a bad or missing boot disk (which is what a failed HDD looks like to the BIOS) is usually accompanied by some brief message or error code. Unfortunately, the times that I have seen something like your description (in post #1), it turned out to be video card failure.

Try the BIOS hotkeys on start-up. If none of them work.....if you cannot access BIOS setup (F2), or EasyFlash (F4), or the Boot Menu (ESC) at all, or get anything to display on-screen when you try, it's kaput. Time for warranty service. (Should still be under the regular manufacturer's warranty, not the extended coverage.)

fostert
04-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Do you have a bootable CD/DVD to try? I.e. a windows 7 install DVD, or burn a memtest86 CD from the following link: http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip
If its a HDD failure or unbootable drive/OS then you should at least be able to boot via another drive.

dations9
04-11-2012, 09:40 PM
tried a couple things except the OS stuff. So far no picture im afraid of going further incase i void warranty so im just going to go ahead and do a claim.

Thanks for all the help