PDA

View Full Version : How to remove a partition

uniqorn2009
04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Is there an easy way to remove a partition? My primary hd is partitioned into two parts C: and D: drives. The C drive has just 279 gb's and the rest is on my d drive. I want to combine them both or get rid of the D drive without having to reinstall and reformat everything.

BrodyBoy
04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Sure.

Make sure everything you want/need is off the D: drive.
Open Disk Management.
Right-click on the D: partition on the graphical display, and select "Delete Volume."
Right-click on your C: partition, and select "Expand volume."
A pop-up wizard open. Accept all defaults to expand your C: partition to the entire hard disk.

Tear_a_Bee
04-10-2012, 03:33 AM
When I try to Expand the Partition the option is grey. How would I go about fixing this?

BrodyBoy
04-10-2012, 03:50 AM
When I try to Expand the Partition the option is grey. How would I go about fixing this?
How is the unused space designated....unallocated, free space?

Tear_a_Bee
04-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Unallocated

BrodyBoy
04-10-2012, 05:28 AM
What options do you have when you right-click on it?

Area 66
04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Tear-a-bear post a print screen of the disk management setup you have so we know where to start to help you ( I see some time peoples have the C: after the D: on the disk .... )

Tear_a_Bee
04-10-2012, 09:07 PM
When I right click on the unallocated space my options are New simple Volume, properties, and help.
here is a print screen 7583

Area 66
04-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Unallocated

well it's not available because it's before a partition , you have to use a software like G Parted to move the C: at the start of the drive , G Parted as to burn on a CD or a USB key , may be someone here use a Windows Software ? here a link for G Parted

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/

Tear_a_Bee
04-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Thank you Area 66

BrodyBoy
04-10-2012, 11:44 PM
When I right click on the unallocated space my options are New simple Volume, properties, and help.
here is a print screen 7583
Ah....I thought we were still talking about the OP's situation......I assumed you were doing the same thing he was.

As Area 66 suggested, you can't add that 25Gb before the OS partition. And even if you use 3rd party software to append it to the OS partition (some will do that), it still won't get used because Windows wants to be the first thing on its partition....it won't use that space before it.

A simple solution, in your case, is to use a system image to "move" your installation onto the bigger space and use it properly. It doesn't require any additional 3rd party software tools. This is how you would do it:

Make Make sure your OS drive is cleaned up (of extraneous crap) and defragmented
Using Windows Backup & Restore, make a system image of the OS drive, and select the option to make a Windows Repair Disk. (Save the system image on DVDs or an external USB drive)
Boot from the Repair Disk. Delete the first two partitions on the hard disk, then restore the system image to the bloc of newly-unallocated space.

Area 66
04-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Oups I just notice, Tear_a_bee, you not the OP in this tread, it was not nice to high jack it.

Tear_a_Bee
04-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Sorry i thought it would be a one or two post fix. Didn't realize it would take this much.

BrodyBoy
04-11-2012, 02:49 AM
Sorry i thought it would be a one or two post fix. Didn't realize it would take this much.
It's okay....the point, though, is that yours was a different issue from the OP's. It's important to make that clear, or we're all talking (posting) past each other about different problems.