PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 clean install

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
04-12-2012, 04:04 AM
Is it possible to perform a windows 7 clean install without the disc? I've never down something like this. I don't want to use AI recovery because it will just back up my factory settings... If it is does anyone mind telling me how?

BrodyBoy
04-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Is it possible to perform a windows 7 clean install without the disc? I've never down something like this. I don't want to use AI recovery because it will just back up my factory settings... If it is does anyone mind telling me how?
No...not without a disc. If you don't want to do a factory restore (which will in fact return it to its exact, out-of-the-box software configuration), you need an actual copy of Windows to do a new install.

It's not hard to do, but it does involve getting (downloading) a Windows installer ISO, making the disc, installing Windows, and then installing all the essential drivers.

PS: You could make a USB installer with the ISO, rather than a disc, but it's still the same process.

Tech_Rat
04-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Just be sure to download all current drivers first and back them up somewhere easily accessible. Another flashdrive, perhaps. ESPECIALLY your network drivers.

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Is this what you're talking about?
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5753

How would I do a factory restore?

If I do a clean install will anything on the laptop not work? Like some of the FN keys?

( Sorry for all teh questions )

BrodyBoy
04-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Is this what you're talking about?
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5753
No, that's a kit for OEM installers. You just need the Windows Home Premium ISO (http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso).

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
04-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Thank you. That is for 64bit correct? Will it fit on one disc? ( If not I have to go buy more )

As for using the F9 method of recovery.

Recover to first parition

Recover Entire HD

Recover with Two Partitions

Recover HD means it will reformat and install windows on the entire HD without two partitions correct? If so what does it mean by first partition? Seems a bit confusing

BrodyBoy
04-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Thank you. That is for 64bit correct? Will it fit on one disc? ( If not I have to go buy more )
Yes, it's 64-bit, and it fits on one disk.

As for using the F9 method of recovery.

Recover to first parition

Recover Entire HD

Recover with Two Partitions

Recover HD means it will reformat and install windows on the entire HD without two partitions correct? If so what does it mean by first partition? Seems a bit confusing
Now wait....are you doing a factory restore or a clean install? They're very different.

In any event.....

Option 1: Overwrites and restores to ONLY the existing Windows partition.

Option 2: Overwrites and restores to the entire primary hard disk (the one that currently has an OS partition). So it wipes out all partitions on that disk and creates one big partition for WInbdows.

Option 3: Overwrites the entire primary hard disk, like option 2, but makes two partitions on it. One will be for the OS, and the other will be an empty data partition. (This option is only available if the HDD is big enough to accommodate it. Otherwise, it's greyed out.)

In all cases, the 25Gb recovery partition will also be restored onto the primary hard disk, right before the OS partition.

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
04-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Haven't decided which I'm going to do yet but regardless I'm going to install this ISO on a disc before anything.

Overwrites, as in doesn't format?

Not sure If I'm following you on the Option 1. We are using a recovery partition to 'recover' windows to its factory state in all three options. So what does it mean ONLY to the existing windows partition? Do you mean only overwrites the partition with windows on it and not the recovery partition?

Only difference between Option 2 and 3 is the amount of paritions correct? I originally had 2, deleted one, increased volume in OS one.

Sorry if I'm confusing you.. just making sure I have everything 100% ( I asked a lot of questions in school lol )

BrodyBoy
04-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Overwrites, as in doesn't format?

Not sure If I'm following you on the Option 1. We are using a recovery partition to 'recover' windows to its factory state in all three options. So what does it mean ONLY to the existing windows partition? Do you mean only overwrites the partition with windows on it and not the recovery partition?

Sorry if I'm confusing you.. just making sure I have everything 100% ( I asked a lot of questions in school lol )
Questions are okay....better to be clear about what you're doing than just impatiently forging ahead and creating more problems. (You'd be amazed at how many owners do that! ;))

Overwriting....formatting....same difference. :) The drive/partition in question is formatted, new partition(s) are created, and the new installation is written to it. Everything that was on it is wiped out.

Option 1: A factory restore is essentially a complete re-install of the OEM installation. It's not a "copy" or image that just gets written to a partition, but a complex set of conditional scripts that actually performs a whole new install. (This is why it takes so long and restarts so many times.) When you select option 1, it restores only to the existing OS partition on the hard disk. So, if that HDD also has a data partition on it, that one will be untouched.

Again, the recovery partition will remain, no matter which option you use.

Only difference between Option 2 and 3 is the amount of paritions correct? I originally had 2, deleted one, increased volume in OS one.
Yes, the difference is the number of partitions created during the recovery process. Option 2 creates one big partition and installs Windows on it, so you end up with a total of two partitions....(1) recovery partition, (2) OS partition.

With Option 3, you end up with three partitions: (1) recovery partition, (2) OS partition, (3) data partition.

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
04-12-2012, 07:26 PM
So unless you have a data partition Option 1 & 2 are essentially the same thing. Nice.

As for the fresh windows install.. Does this mess with any of the FN keys? I've heard some people say for isntance the brightness adjustment keys don't work, etc. Will I lose any functionality that I had prior to doing the install? Other than losing the bloatware.

Thank's for taking your time to help dude, reminds me of myself. Not a lot of people have this quality.

BrodyBoy
04-12-2012, 07:46 PM
So unless you have a data partition Option 1 & 2 are essentially the same thing. Nice.

As for the fresh windows install.. Does this mess with any of the FN keys? I've heard some people say for isntance the brightness adjustment keys don't work, etc. Will I lose any functionality that I had prior to doing the install? Other than losing the bloatware.

Thank's for taking your time to help dude, reminds me of myself. Not a lot of people have this quality.

Well, you do have to manually add the essential drivers after a clean install. Some of the specialized function keys are controlled by the ATK Package, so they won't work until you've installed that driver. The ROG button, for toggling power profiles, doesn;t work unless you re-install and use Power4Gear, and it can't be re-tasked for another purpose. So in most clean installs, the ROG button becomes useless because the owners don't want P4G.

Similarly, there are specific drivers required for some installed hardware, beyond what Windows natively supports. Audio, video, card reader, network, touchpad, etc....these all need their driver for full functionality.

Roxio Cineplayer (in the OEM installation) allows you to play BDs if you have a BD drive. Some owners have problems regaining full functionality when they re-install that program after a clean install....I suspect this is may be due to some licensing thing with Roxio & Asus. But that Asus OEM version of Cineplayer is kind of flaky anyway. Owners who actually want serious BD functionality typically wind up buy a full-featured program anyway (PowerDVD Ultra is one often recommended around here).

You also lose that ad-based version of MS Office installed on some machines. If you have your own productivity software that you like, this is no loss. (I use Office, but I hate those ad-based versions.)

There are a few other programs owners often re-install. THX TruStudio does seem to help the G74's crappy internal speakers, so many re-install that. You're apt to need Adobe Reader, of course, and any particular browsers and/or search bars that you like.

chewbaccaBBG
04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Thought I would ask this question here since I plan on performing a clean install tonight.
stupid question.
Does a clean install affect the BIOS ?

BrodyBoy
04-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Thought I would ask this question here since I plan on performing a clean install tonight.
stupid question.
Does a clean install affect the BIOS ?
No, not at all. :) System Restore, factory restore, clean install....none of them affect the BIOS.