PDA

View Full Version : corrupt harddrive in the g53sx

iraqiboy90
04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Hello

I have a setup as: SSD as the main drive which is used for windows and long loading programs. And I have the original 750gb 7200rpm harddrive used for storing the documents, pictures, important files, and much more, even a partition with a linux in it.
The problem is that this 750gb drive is corrupt, and EACH time I do a normal chkdsk without the "/F" it tells me that it needs to be fixed and then it disappear from the "Computer".
I then have to go into safemode to do the full chkdsk to make it show back; "chkdsk D: /f /r /b". This uses all my 12gb ram and last for about 10-15 hours.
So my question is, can I send the harddrive, and only the harddrive, or do I need to send my entire laptop?

Laptop: G53sx
Harddrive:
1. Corsair Force 120gb ssd
2. seagate 7200rpm 750gb 3gb/s

Zygomorphic
04-12-2012, 04:26 PM
I would contact ASUS and find out if they will let you simply replace the hard drive. My suspicion is that they will want you to return the whole computer. Alternately, you could try it yourself if you have a spare hard drive lying around. Put in the spare hard drive and see if you can get the problem to reoccur. If it does, then the SATA controller is failing, and you will have to send in the whole computer. If it doesn't, then it is like you said, and the problem is with the hard drive. In that case, contact Seagate about replacing the drive.

I have had no experience with RMA's so I can't tell you how you will be received.