PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G73 Black Screen after booting

JCastle
04-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey RoG members, I'm having some trouble with my g73. :(
I just recently updated my vBios with the vFlash so I could use CCC and ATI drivers. Everything was fine for quite a while until I would boot up and the laptop would run really slowly. I couldn't open up anything and almost 10 second later after logging in my laptop would freeze, blue screen, then shutdown. Ever since then I would get a black screen after logging in, now I just automatically get a black screen whenever I boot up. Anyone have any suggestions?

dstrakele
04-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I just recently updated my vBios with the vFlash so I could use CCC and ATI drivers. Everything was fine for quite a while until I would boot up and the laptop would run really slowly.

Just to clarify what you're reporting, correct me if I'm wrong:

1) You successfully performed a vbios update.
2) Everything was working "fine for quite a while". How long is "a while"? Did you restart your machine without issue in this time period?
3) You then encountered a problem - the laptop ran slowly on bootup, then blue screened. How long was that after the vbios update?
4) The problem changed to a black screen after logon, but has worsened to where it now fails to display any video at all on startup - no ASUS splash screen?

A) If you unplug your laptop, remove all peripheral devices, including any card from the card reader, remove the battery, hold down the Power On button for 30 seconds, and then plug in the laptop without the battery, does it start normally?

B) If you connect your laptop to an external monitor or LCD TV, does it display video when booted?

C) How long have you owned the G73? Are you still within your retailer's exchange/return period?

JCastle
04-13-2012, 03:47 PM
I think I've actually narrowed it down to a problem with the OS. Yes, the ASUS splash screen does show up as does the initial windows logo when the machine boots up. I did contact ASUS support; they weren't much help and the machine is not under manufacturer warranty. I did try to drain all the static and reset BIOS settings to default. I can't boot in safe mode, the thing freezes while trying to load some files under sys32.

JCastle
04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Just to clarify what you're reporting, correct me if I'm wrong:

1) You successfully performed a vbios update.
2) Everything was working "fine for quite a while". How long is "a while"? Did you restart your machine without issue in this time period?
3) You then encountered a problem - the laptop ran slowly on bootup, then blue screened. How long was that after the vbios update?
4) The problem changed to a black screen after logon, but has worsened to where it now fails to display any video at all on startup - no ASUS splash screen?

A) If you unplug your laptop, remove all peripheral devices, including any card from the card reader, remove the battery, hold down the Power On button for 30 seconds, and then plug in the laptop without the battery, does it start normally?

B) If you connect your laptop to an external monitor or LCD TV, does it display video when booted?

C) How long have you owned the G73? Are you still within your retailer's exchange/return period?

By a while I mean months. I'm pretty sure it's not hardware because the laptop starts to boot up, just never makes it to the login screen. If you have any other ideas of what it could be though, posting them would be greatly appreciated. :)

Pacmanpm
04-13-2012, 05:48 PM
having same issue after a windows update last night, splash screen comes up then a black screen. Getting no login window

chronobomb
04-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I ran into this same problem on my Asus mother board. It changed my boot sequence in Bios. set the correct drive to boot on and you should be good. I think it set it to boot off my portable for some reason.

dstrakele
04-13-2012, 10:20 PM
@JCastle - It sounds like one or more of your core Windows files are corrupted if you can't boot into Safe Mode.

If you've made a Windows Repair Disk (different than the ASUS Factory Restore DVD's), that'd be the next thing I'd try.

If you don't have a Windows Repair Disk, you can make one off another computer running the same Windows 7 version as your laptop.

JCastle
04-18-2012, 12:48 PM
@JCastle - It sounds like one or more of your core Windows files are corrupted if you can't boot into Safe Mode.

If you've made a Windows Repair Disk (different than the ASUS Factory Restore DVD's), that'd be the next thing I'd try.

If you don't have a Windows Repair Disk, you can make one off another computer running the same Windows 7 version as your laptop.

Yup, it was strange too. Now that someone mentioned it, I do think this was shortly after a windows update, strange as that is. I haven't messed with much on this laptop other than standard driver installation and the vBIOS update. Kinda sucks had to do an entire clean install .