PDA

View Full Version : [G73SW] Laptop Freezes then BSODs

Maajid
04-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Right, so this is what happens: I turn on the PC, it's fine (takes a little longer than usual but starts up OK) but after a few hours of normal use, it just hangs. The processing light is on, the cursor on the screen turns into a 'processing' cursor. Icons are clickable to begin with but if you run a program, nothing starts. This goes on for a couple of minutes and then the processing light turns off and the PC becomes completely unresponsive. Another three or four minutes and then it BSODs (Blue Screen of Death). I wait for it to save a .dmp file but it never goes any further than "Initializing disk space for crash dump". I've waited 20 mins but the only that changes is the temperature of the laptop - it becomes really hot.

This happens twice or thrice everyday depending on how much I use the laptop. If I play a heavy game for an hour or so, it quickens the time span between the BSODs. Is this a known occurrence with these laptops? If yes, what steps do I need to take to solve it?

I apologise if I've left something out.

fuzon1337
04-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Hi

Which driver have you installed on the nVidia card? (Note: new approved and optimized driver 296.16 from asus in this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12263-Nvidia-GeForce-driver-update-296.16&country=&status=))

Have you ever since you bought the notebook bought compressed air and cleaned the fans? Sometimes a lot of dust is gathering in the fans and then you have to clean it so it wont get too hot.

EDIT: Also you could download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the register check, to clean it for old register files that have been left behind when you have updated/uninstalled programs, and still taking advantage of any system components.

Can0puS
04-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Hi!

Did you install any new software before the crashes? If you do, try to uninstall these softwares and do the Win7 Restore Point. If you don't, and you suspect about the temperature( and it's a very common thing), try to install a program that can read the temperatures of the GPU and CPU. And if you want some advice, try to not stress your system, like playing games and stuff:( until you get this issue resolved. I have a G73SW and I probably had a GPU serious problem :mad:

Maajid
04-13-2012, 01:56 PM
I haven't cleaned the fans since I bought the laptop (which was around 4 months ago), I didn't think I needed to - I mean it hasn't been that long?
Also, my NVIDIA Driver is 296.10 - but I don't think that's the problem because this has been happening for 3-4 weeks and I've changed my nvidia drivers twice in that time.

I'm going to do the CCleaner thing now.

Maajid
04-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Hi!

Did you install any new software before the crashes? If you do, try to uninstall these softwares and do the Win7 Restore Point. If you don't, and you suspect about the temperature( and it's a very common thing), try to install a program that can read the temperatures of the GPU and CPU. And if you want some advice, try to not stress your system, like playing games and stuff:( until you get this issue resolved. I have a G73SW and I probably had a GPU serious problem :mad:

Thanks, yeah I thought I might damage the PC if I continued gaming etc. and that's exactly why I started this thread. Could this be a driver issue? Would a program like DriverMax help?

Maajid
04-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi!

Thanks, yeah I thought I might damage the PC if I continued gaming etc. and that's exactly why I started this thread. Could this be a driver issue, though? Would a program like DriverMax help?

Can0puS
04-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks, yeah I thought I might damage the PC if I continued gaming etc. and that's exactly why I started this thread. Could this be a driver issue? Would a program like DriverMax help?

Yes, It could be a driver issue. Usually the first thing you should do when you experienced problems is look for software changings. Next thing is look for the latest and stables drivers for your system. If you can't resolve the issue, then you start to look the hardware. It's amazing how the dust can accumulate in a few months, don't underestimate it :p A good clean resolve issues too :cool:

fuzon1337
04-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I haven't cleaned the fans since I bought the laptop (which was around 4 months ago), I didn't think I needed to - I mean it hasn't been that long?
Also, my NVIDIA Driver is 296.10 - but I don't think that's the problem because this has been happening for 3-4 weeks and I've changed my nvidia drivers twice in that time.

I'm going to do the CCleaner thing now.

Dust will gather anywhere anytime and 4 months can be enough =/ (if it is a lot of dust in your house)

When you install CCleaner, be sure to uncheck any programs it wants to add (like google toolbar), and when you run the register check, make a map called CCleaner, then you place a backup file there. You only have to make one backup since this is the first time. Run it until it doesn't find any issues left.

Maajid
04-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Yes, I know about the programs it tries to install. Thanks for the warning.

Is there a guide on how to clean one's ASUS ROG Laptop? I'm not really experienced with opening laptops and such.

fuzon1337
04-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Hopefully you don't have to open the notebook to clean it. Just buy compressed air and blow into the exhaust, then you will see a lot of dust flying out.

But the best thing is to open up the notebook and then get access to the fans so you could do a good clean instead of easy clean :P

(If you want to see how the disassembling is, until you have access to the fans look at this link: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/475907-asus-g73-series-disassembly-guide.html)

Can0puS
04-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Yes, I know about the programs it tries to install. Thanks for the warning.

Is there a guide on how to clean one's ASUS ROG Laptop? I'm not really experienced with opening laptops and such.

There's many tutorials in youtube, just search for "G73 disassembly repaste". It looks like a very easy thing to do. But of course you always have to be careful with hardware things. Do it in a calm and empty room and take your time. I'm just waiting for the thermal compound that I ordered to open and clean my G73 too:p

fuzon1337
04-13-2012, 02:23 PM
There's many tutorials in youtube, just search for "G73 disassembly repaste". It looks like a very easy thing to do. But of course you always have to be careful with hardware things. Do it in a calm and empty room and take your time. I'm just waiting for the thermal compound that I ordered to open and clean my G73 too:p

If you remove any labels that says "warranty voided if removed" or something like that, then you don't have your 2 years warranty anymore.... so if the issue cant be fixed then it's better to RMA it.

Can0puS
04-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Look at this thread to look for the recommended drivers: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference&highlight=drivers

Can0puS
04-13-2012, 02:32 PM
If you remove any labels that says "warranty voided if removed" or something like that, then you don't have your 2 years warranty anymore.... so if the issue cant be fixed then it's better to RMA it.

God, thanks @fuzon1337 to remember that. The RMA is the BEST option EVER, when you have a problem that you can't resolved by the "easy" ways.

Maajid
04-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I don't want to tempt fate but it seems it was a dust accumulation problem which a little hairdryer treatment seems to have fixed *touch wood*

What's RMA btw?

fuzon1337
04-14-2012, 04:00 PM
It's good to see that you fixed heat issue (with a hairdryer) :O :P

RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization

When you cant figgure out what the problem is or can not fix it, you will call Asus Hotline for your country and talk to them. Then you tell them what the issue is, and you have done everything to fix it but only fails every time, then Asus set up a case with the RMA number so the work shop know what to do, to fix it :)

Sorry for long sentence :P

Maajid
04-15-2012, 12:29 AM
I just blew air into the vents (yes, with a hairdryer). No tangible, observable dust came out the other side though. I can only hazard a guess that one of the fans was stuck or something?

Anyway, I wanted to post this so if anyone has a problem similar to this in the future, they could do what I did.

Edit: Thanks fuzon1337 and Can0puS.