PDA

View Full Version : G74SX-BBK8 running 16 Gb of corsair ram at 1600mhz??

r.torres
04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi I'm new at the forum. I just got my g74sx-bbk8 and 16 gbs of corsair vengance ram at 1600mhz, i've installed the memory without issues but the memory its been read at 1333mhz. Is there a way to make it look at the rams at 1600 mhz?

My bios its the 201 ver. and the processor its an Intel i7's 2nd gen. 2670QM. Thank, any help will be much appreciated. Greetings

gilbert
04-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Hi I'm new at the forum. I just got my g74sx-bbk8 and 16 gbs of corsair vengance ram at 1600mhz, i've installed the memory without issues but the memory its been read at 1333mhz. Is there a way to make it look at the rams at 1600 mhz?

My bios its the 201 ver. and the processor its an Intel i7's 2nd gen. 2670QM. Thank, any help will be much appreciated. Greetings

it can't b done , i have the same laptop/ ram , I have tried everything i can think of i even called asus and corsair with no solution , there may be a new bios update coming out soon , hopefully they will release it with an up to date mem controller so it can read the real speeds of the ram sticks .........

dataDave
04-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Hmmm, can your processor support 1600mhz?

Direct from Intel: http://ark.intel.com/products/53469 - It doesn't look like it.

I just ordered my G74SX-XT1 last week with i7-2760QM upgrade, so decided to go with the 16gb 1600mhz as the processor can handle it: http://ark.intel.com/products/53474/Intel-Core-i7-2760QM-Processor-%286M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz%29

BrodyBoy
04-14-2012, 03:02 AM
It doesn't matter, inasmuch as the G74's BIOS simply doesn't allow more than 8Gb to run at that speed. 16Gb RAM runs at 1333MHz.

fostert
04-14-2012, 03:26 AM
The integrated memory controllers (IMCs) on Nehalem and Sandy Bridge are incredibly hardy and can Overclock a loooooong ways...Intel is just quoting a guaranteed tested rating, and obviously will say nothing about their OCing capabilities. My i7-860 desktop is using 4x4GB=16GB of 2000 MHz RAM, and every last byte runs 100% stably at that speed, thanks to the memory controller in the nehalem (which is only rated to 1333 max).

The i7 Mobiles will handle up to 32 GB of RAM. Unfortunately we can't probe their OC limits because the BIOS in the G74 does not allow any adjustments or tweaks at all. It also seems that for some reason filling all 4 DIMM slots in the G74 causes the BIOS to force the IMC to run at 1333. I've been trying to figure out why ASUS did this purposefully...my guess is for thermal management (4 banks of RAM puts more of a voltage load on the IMC than 2, and perhaps ASUS figured their thermal solution for the CPU wasn't good enough to additionally overclock the IMC at the same time, which would generate even more heat).

Haven't we seen some around here though running 2 stix (2x8GB=16GB) of the Corsair 1600 Vengeance stuff successfully at 1600MHz?

dataDave
04-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Isn't there an option to turn on the BIOS memory config when modifying the BIOS to remove the thermal throttling? I saw the option there and modified it, then saved the new BIOS. Of course I now need to wait for my hardware to turn up so I can flash it and find out.

BrodyBoy
04-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Isn't there an option to turn on the BIOS memory config when modifying the BIOS to remove the thermal throttling? I saw the option there and modified it, then saved the new BIOS. Of course I now need to wait for my hardware to turn up so I can flash it and find out.
Modifying the BIOS, or using a modified BIOS, instantly voids the warranty. Considering how easily the BIOS on these things gets bricked, both in normal flashing and and in playing with mods, the cost of service is a risk that should be considered if you plan to go that route.

gilbert
04-14-2012, 07:22 PM
well then if you happen to get all 4x4 16gb working at 1600mhz by configuring bios please let us know how you did it , and hopefully the rest of us can get ours working too....

dataDave
04-15-2012, 01:34 AM
I plan on modding the BIOS to eliminate the CPU throttling anyway, So I was figuring I may as well switch on the Memory menu at the same time.

All these options are already in the BIOS, they are just toggled to 'off'.

Do you seriously think Asus will ever update their BIOS?

gilbert
04-15-2012, 04:08 AM
I plan on modding the BIOS to eliminate the CPU throttling anyway, So I was figuring I may as well switch on the Memory menu at the same time.

All these options are already in the BIOS, they are just toggled to 'off'.

Do you seriously think Asus will ever update their BIOS?
I dont think they ever will or if they do it would take a very long time , but if you find a way to mod the bios im sure that a lot of people here including me would like to know how , and that way we can push this machines to their max ......

fostert
04-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Yes, please @dataDave...I would be interested in hearing how you modded the BIOS to turn on the memory settings, and may try it at some distant point in the future (after my warranty has expired mind you, which isn't too far off), since ASUS isn't likely to care about the G74 and its problems any further beyond the release of the G75. If you could post a short HowTo, that would be great!

But I would echo Brody's warning to anyone thinking about this: a bricking with a broken modded BIOS means tremendous headache: a return to ASUS and probably a cost (since the warranty is toast). The G74 probably just isn't the machine for the masses to be doing this with since it doesn't have a backup CMOS chip.

dataDave
04-16-2012, 02:13 AM
OK guys, here is what we get when we open up the BIOS in the editing program.

http://41.imagebam.com/download/CW_wphpmGEjS7Ti069jWxQ/18516/185153388/biosmem.jpg

By default, both failsafe and optimal values are set to 'Auto', I'm figuring if I override the optimal column to a setting of 1600, save and then flash, that this will inform the system the max speed for the memory to run safely would be 1600.

I really need someone with experience in BIOS mods to go over this and make sure there isn't anything else I'm missing from the other settings, such as maybe RAM voltage and that kind of thing, before I flash and potentially cause harm. Are there any other forums out there well versed in these matters? My only concern is that it must be grabbing the 'Auto' value of 1333mhz when the slots are fully populated from somewhere, and the same for the post-1333 values when only two slots are being used, and I'd like to know where.

Regards,
Dave.

PS. Also, I'm seeing these concerns voiced across multiple threads now... Would it be advisable to create a new thread so we can capture all memory woes under one roof?

fostert
04-16-2012, 03:36 AM
You shouldn't need to hike the voltage for the sticks to work at 1600: the ICs have been screened for the trait of high-frequency at low voltage and are rated for 1600 at the nominal 1.5V. There may not even be provision to tweak the DRAM voltage in this BIOS; that may be intentional since heat scales with volts (Ohm's law) and thermal tolerances are very tight in a notebook.

dataDave
04-16-2012, 04:48 AM
OK, noted. Thanks for that.

I'm actually thinking of just flashing this and seeing what happens. ><

BrodyBoy
04-16-2012, 05:29 AM
Yikes.....we'll hold our collective breath 'til we hear back from you! :) Good luck.

dataDave
04-16-2012, 05:50 AM
The only thing potentially holding me back is the hidden configuration for capping the speed to 1333mhz.

There has to be somewhere that says "Are all slots populated? No? Run at top speed. Yes? OK, run at 1333."

I can't find it, and I don't want it to conflict with me telling the BIOS optimal settings are 1600. If it overrides then fine, the mod simply won't take effect, if it conflicts and bricks, then I'm in a world of hurt. ><

BrodyBoy
04-16-2012, 06:22 AM
If it overrides then fine, the mod simply won't take effect, if it conflicts and bricks, then I'm in a world of hurt. ><
Yeah......that's the rub. Honestly, bricked-with-a-voided-warranty would be too big a risk for me. If the Aptio emergency flash procedure were an option in these models, I'd probably be the first one playing with the settings in there. But I've seen too many bricked laptops on this forum.....not anxious to join that unhappy crowd. :(

fostert
04-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Why would it conflict? And if it does exist it probably refers to the optimal frequency in case all four slots are filled. But I can't see it because say one puts 4 sticks of 1066MHz RAM in there (which the core i7 2630/2670QM are stated to also support: see ark.intel): why would it "overclock" those to 1333 MHz?
Seems like it should work...and if it doesn't it falls back on failsafe settings, which you have not modified.

I admit I am anxious to hear how it turns out, but first and foremost you're the owner...with the risk you'll create a new thread on these forums, where we either follow your success and glory or your repair experience...nonetheless I am optimistic as others round here have modded the BIOS to fix the throttling issue and successfully flashed it. Good luck!

gilbert
04-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Why would it conflict? And if it does exist it probably refers to the optimal frequency in case all four slots are filled. But I can't see it because say one puts 4 sticks of 1066MHz RAM in there (which the core i7 2630/2670QM are stated to also support: see ark.intel): why would it "overclock" those to 1333 MHz?
Seems like it should work...and if it doesn't it falls back on failsafe settings, which you have not modified.

I admit I am anxious to hear how it turns out, but first and foremost you're the owner...with the risk you'll create a new thread on these forums, where we either follow your success and glory or your repair experience...nonetheless I am optimistic as others round here have modded the BIOS to fix the throttling issue and successfully flashed it. Good luck!

Is there a guide here on how to mod and flash the bios to fix the throttling ? I would like to give it a try ......

dataDave
04-24-2012, 10:09 AM
OK, so I flashed my modded BIOS right away with the 1600 settings for optimal... and nothing has changed (apart from the addition of the CPU Thermal options).

At least it turned back on. ><

CPU-Z still shows 665mhz for RAM, however under the SPD tab it recognises the 800mhz G.Skill and correct clock speeds. Screen shots soon, just running memtest86+ a few times first to check for any duff memory.

Zygomorphic
04-24-2012, 10:18 AM

From what I understand, the lowest speed memory you are supposed to put into an Intel Mobo is the default speed of the memory controller. While the 1333 RAM itself has JEDEC timings for 1066, the memory controller may not. The memory controller is designed to run at 1333 or higher, because it improves the memory speed and bandwidth over the Nehalem (1st gen core iX) processors.

dataDave
04-25-2012, 02:30 PM
OK, here I am with the screens...

Mem DRAM freq. showing just 665...

However this SPD picks up the correct readings and acknowledges the true ratings.

Is there anything else I can do to test the integrity of the RAM? CPU-Z also only reports that my GPU has just 1gb of RAM, when DxDiag reports 3gb, so I don't really trust it that much.

Thanks,
Dave.

PS. Loving my first RoG btw, :) I love all my systems when they are squeeky clean like this, just installing Starcraft 2 now, the first game to go on.

Let's see how long I can keep this one clean for before filling it full of disordered music, pr0n, and games... *sigh*

gilbert
04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
i wonder if this is normal i clearly have 16gb installed but in the timings table only shows JEDEC#1,2,3 what happen to number 4 ? and if i check slots 1,2,3,4 they all show the same ?
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/gilbert11231123/Untitled.png
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/gilbert11231123/spd.png
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/gilbert11231123/memory.png

fostert
04-26-2012, 03:03 AM
OK, here I am with the screens...

Mem DRAM freq. showing just 665...

However this SPD picks up the correct readings and acknowledges the true ratings.

Is there anything else I can do to test the integrity of the RAM? CPU-Z also only reports that my GPU has just 1gb of RAM, when DxDiag reports 3gb, so I don't really trust it that much.

Thanks,
Dave.

PS. Loving my first RoG btw, :) I love all my systems when they are squeeky clean like this, just installing Starcraft 2 now, the first game to go on.

Let's see how long I can keep this one clean for before filling it full of disordered music, pr0n, and games... *sigh*
Firstly, a congrats Dave for fearlessly stepping into the unknown world of modding the G74 BIOS for improved memory clocks. Nice!
Actually if you look you have gained performance...the RAM is now running at latencies of 8 clocks rather than 9. For some apps (particularly games I've read) a memory overclock with tighter timings has more of an effect on performance than an increase in frequency. In fact 8-8-8-23 @ 1333 is fairly impressive...I hope your sticks memtest free of errors running that tight (they should since that is close to JEDEC setting 4 programmed by corsair).
Now, it looks like the BIOS is correctly and successfully reading a JEDEC setting. If you still want 1600 MHz then the question is: did you find anything in exploring the G74 BIOS that could point the system to read setting #5 from the SPDs?

Honestly a gain of one clock tick in each of the latencies is sometimes worth many 100s of MHz...it just depends on what apps you run...every app responds differently to changes in timigs and clocks. I'd be tempted to leave 'er there for a while and enjoy!

dataDave
04-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Yeah, I'm sticking with this for now.

I didn't see anything else when opening up the BIOS, apart from the unlocking of the RAM config menus from 'default' to 'USER' which didn't work, as they didn't appear in the BIOS menu. They are there, just hidden away and I can't unlock them.

I ran two and a half passes of MemTest86+ with no issues, I then had to collect my things and leave. I had planned to do 3-5 runs but I will save those for another day.

OmegaMan
04-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Yup I did, Works well with 2x8GB @1600mhz. 4 Sticks downclock to 1333mhz. 4x4gb @1866mhz pnp ram downclock @ 1333mhz as well. The G74 doesn't like four sticks in at all ... :p Go figure :confused:

gilbert
04-26-2012, 06:30 PM
very nice Dave congratz on the mod bios you are one step closer to your goal, i'm sure there has to be another option that is set to default and needs to be changed to user for the lappy to detect the 1600mhz, great work keep it up .

Red Rose
04-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Wait a minute. What about the Kingston Hyperx PnP 1600Mz RAM? I heard and read on the RoG forums that some people have succesfully gotten all 16GB of RAM to work at 1600Mhz. I read that kingston pnp 1600 would work over the corsair 1600.

MrRuckus
04-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Just wanted to point out that 16GB @ 1600Mhz in the G74 is possible with 2 sticks. I haven't tried with 4 sticks yet as I have to purchase another 2 sticks of the corsair. I'll report back when I do.

While the 2670QM does not officially support 1600Mhz, it can do it. It also will support more then 16GB of Ram.

16GB Corsair in my G74.

Intel Burn in with 24GB loaded (8x2 corsair and 4x2 from the original 16GB)

gilbert
04-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Wait a minute. What about the Kingston Hyperx PnP 1600Mz RAM? I heard and read on the RoG forums that some people have succesfully gotten all 16GB of RAM to work at 1600Mhz. I read that kingston pnp 1600 would work over the corsair 1600.
The same was said about the corsair and it was not true , I believe that without a bios mod the g74sx would only run at 1333 when all the slots are populated .....

Red Rose
04-26-2012, 08:50 PM
The same was said about the corsair and it was not true , I believe that without a bios mod the g74sx would only run at 1333 when all the slots are populated .....

I see. So what if you are no longer under warranty and decide to open up the G74sx to upgrade the CPU with a capable processor (ex i7 2760qm), would it then work without the bios mod? I think I jsut answered my question but I want to make sure. (yes I do know that it would void my warranty).

gilbert
04-26-2012, 08:56 PM
I see. So what if you are no longer under warranty and decide to open up the G74sx to upgrade the CPU with a capable processor (ex i7 2760qm), would it then work without the bios mod? I think I jsut answered my question but I want to make sure. (yes I do know that it would void my warranty).nope , Dave is using the 2760 and no luck , the reazon why we dont detect true speeds is because the mem controller is not up to date so without a bios mod either official from asus or if somobody here tweaks it we wont b able to get true speds .

MrRuckus
04-26-2012, 08:58 PM
I see. So what if you are no longer under warranty and decide to open up the G74sx to upgrade the CPU with a capable processor (ex i7 2760qm), would it then work without the bios mod? I think I jsut answered my question but I want to make sure. (yes I do know that it would void my warranty).

Im sure it would. The mobo seems capable of handling quicker processors so Im sure it would handle higher clocks on the memory. I think with the 2670, we're just wondering into uncurtain waters.

MrRuckus
04-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Before coming here, I actually chatted with people here:
http://www.xoticpc.com (http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g74sxdh72-p-3363.html?wconfigure=yes)

I went there not to buy an Asus laptop, but to see what they offered in their G74 variants. I figured if they could do it, we should be able to. I asked them how they are able to run 32GB Ram when the Asus website states it only supports 24GB. Others in this forum also questioned it since these 3rd parties added more then the supposed max. They told me I would need an OS that could handle more then 16GB Ram and a processor that could handle it. There is another thread where a forum member decided to take it into his own hands and try for 32GB and had success. So he was the first to do it and should get credit. I just followed him and did the same since it was possible.

The 1600Mhz problem though, I have a feeling it is limited to our 2670QM. I have a feeling with a processor designed to support it, it should be easily done in this laptop. I just think the memory controller in the 2670QM is our bottleneck in cases with stock processors and the G74. I will try once I have the funds for 32GB @ 1600Mhz. If it runs at 1333, Im fine with that.

Red Rose
04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
nope , Dave is using the 2760 and no luck , the reazon why we dont detect true speeds is because the mem controller is not up to date so without a bios mod either official from asus or if somobody here tweaks it we wont b able to get true speds .

Ahhh thanks for the explanation. I was wondering why the BIOS was such an important factor in all this because I personally have never wanted to mess with the BIOS considering how many times I've read on here with brickign and everything.

@MrRuckus So let me get this straight, the g74 is able to hit 1600Mhz as long as we do not have all 4 slots filled. So what I am getting is, either to use 2 slots with either 1600 or 1886 sticks of ram, or I can use 4 sticks at 1333 ram. BTW I'm assuming your running the 24 GBs of RAM with windows ultimate or professional (I forgot) since HP supports only up to 16GB. Im also assuming that those 24GB are running at 1333? Your pictures seem to contradict what is going on.

EDIT: Just saw your post after I typed this one up. So I am guessing you did upgrade the OS?

gilbert
04-26-2012, 09:18 PM
The 2670 is more then capable of 1600mhz the one that is caping us at 1333mhz when all the slots are been use is the bios . But im hopping that someone with the enough bios knoledge will get us over the line.

AQUASTEVAE
04-26-2012, 09:31 PM
while i clearly find this to be the most interesting thread on this entire board, my question would be this: if you can obtain 1600 mhz speeds by just using two slots of 8gb chips, then why would you even want to use four slots of 4gb's? i do understand that some on here want to use all four slots to have the 32gb's of ram running, and so being able to use all four would help in this venture, but it seems many on here are happy with just 16gb's of ram, and for those, why would this be a problem if you can use the two slots to get what you want? or am i missing something...?

Red Rose
04-26-2012, 09:39 PM
while i clearly find this to be the most interesting thread on this entire board, my question would be this: if you can obtain 1600 mhz speeds by just using two slots of 8gb chips, then why would you even want to use four slots of 4gb's? i do understand that some on here want to use all four slots to have the 32gb's of ram running, and so being able to use all four would help in this venture, but it seems many on here are happy with just 16gb's of ram, and for those, why would this be a problem if you can use the two slots to get what you want? or am i missing something...?

Actually I question that myself. I have heard that there really isn't taht much performance increase from 1333 to 1600 (maybe 5-6% from what Ive read but it could have improved). I do not know about 1886Mhz RAM. I have seen someone here on RoG that actually utilied the full 32 GB's because he needed to open up large images for astronomy or something. But I asked myself the same question since I doubt gaming, for me, utilizes all 12 GBs so I might consider just getting 2 sticks of 1886Mhz RAM instead since I have recieved confirmed reports that any 2 sticks will run at max speed. It just hates 4 sticks.

gilbert
04-26-2012, 09:40 PM
while i clearly find this to be the most interesting thread on this entire board, my question would be this: if you can obtain 1600 mhz speeds by just using two slots of 8gb chips, then why would you even want to use four slots of 4gb's? i do understand that some on here want to use all four slots to have the 32gb's of ram running, and so being able to use all four would help in this venture, but it seems many on here are happy with just 16gb's of ram, and for those, why would this be a problem if you can use the two slots to get what you want? or am i missing something...?i guess the only answer i can give you is that we want all of our 4 slots to work at the right speed , i personally i was only using 2x4gb at 1600mhz but after installing my other 2 , my graphics card score went up to 7.2 so im guessing that there is a benefit on using all 4 slots BUT it would b even better to have them work at their true speed.

fostert
04-27-2012, 03:43 AM
Before coming here, I actually chatted with people here:
http://www.xoticpc.com (http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g74sxdh72-p-3363.html?wconfigure=yes)

I went there not to buy an Asus laptop, but to see what they offered in their G74 variants. I figured if they could do it, we should be able to. I asked them how they are able to run 32GB Ram when the Asus website states it only supports 24GB. Others in this forum also questioned it since these 3rd parties added more then the supposed max. They told me I would need an OS that could handle more then 16GB Ram and a processor that could handle it. There is another thread where a forum member decided to take it into his own hands and try for 32GB and had success. So he was the first to do it and should get credit. I just followed him and did the same since it was possible.

Yeah, thats here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6851-G74-and-8GB-Memory-DIMMs...). I bought and used 1333 MHz stuff (back when I tried this 8GB SODIMM sticks at 1600 MHz were not yet available) so I can't say for sure, but I suspect even with a core i7 2820 in there 4 sticks of 1600 will clock only to 1333MHz. I mean why would two sticks work at 1866MHz with even the lowly i7 2630QM but not four? The IMC in the 2nd Gen i7 is very tough and overclocks a long way, so if it doesn't work on the 2630/2670 I think it won't on the faster chips...I think its a BIOS limitation. But I'd really love to be shown wrong!

fostert
04-27-2012, 03:49 AM

Agreed: two 8GB sticks of 1600 stuff should satisfy even the most demanding enthusiast and gamer. But I am loving my 32 GB! Eactly what I need, and I don't need the speed...

fostert
04-27-2012, 04:01 AM
OK guys, here is what we get when we open up the BIOS in the editing program.

http://41.imagebam.com/download/CW_wphpmGEjS7Ti069jWxQ/18516/185153388/biosmem.jpg

@dataDave: wots that in handle 01F1 (Memory Frequency)? What does "default" Access/Use refer to there?

gilbert
04-27-2012, 04:29 AM
@dataDave: wots that in handle 01F1 (Memory Frequency)? What does "default" Access/Use refer to there?
is it posible to change 1by1 of the options / flash and see what the changes are , im willing to test if you guys can direct me on how to do it ...

_
05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah, thats here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6851-G74-and-8GB-Memory-DIMMs...). I bought and used 1333 MHz stuff (back when I tried this 8GB SODIMM sticks at 1600 MHz were not yet available) so I can't say for sure, but I suspect even with a core i7 2820 in there 4 sticks of 1600 will clock only to 1333MHz. I mean why would two sticks work at 1866MHz with even the lowly i7 2630QM but not four? The IMC in the 2nd Gen i7 is very tough and overclocks a long way, so if it doesn't work on the 2630/2670 I think it won't on the faster chips...I think its a BIOS limitation. But I'd really love to be shown wrong!

It's limited in the BIOS because the mobile GPUs are voltage and amperage limited, in order to keep the TDP within spec. It's not like comparing to desktop OCing, which has motherboards and PSUs built for excessive watts, because of the extremely confined environment that yields a very specific cooling and power provision.

The Extreme chips are binned cores to do 1600, but they are 55W TDP, whereas the non-Extremes are 45W TDP. The extra memory frequency adds several percent gains in iGPU specific applications but most games only see a few % increase. The G series is predominantly designed for functionality and stability, whereas the desktop hardware is for overclocking. From our perspective, looking at the wide range of G users - given the minimal performance gain versus the greater cost of stability, plus the fact it's not within the official Intel CPU spec for the CPUs we include, ASUS won't offer 1600MHz on SB CPUs. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't do it, or we'll stop you if you want to mod your own kit! ;)

With regards to 1866 memory: I'm not sure how open Intel leaves its processors beyond 1600MHz - if the multiplier options for memory are likely hardware locked down. 8GB hardware should be compatible, providing the ICs don't change the settings too much outside of the existing 4GB spec to make them incompatible (like weird subtimings for example).

IxPanda
10-04-2012, 01:49 PM
After reading through the thread, the conclusion for now seems to be we can achieve 16gb @ 1600mhz when we use 2x8gb sticks.. my G74sx came with 12@1333mhz. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 1600mhz.. Just to run it by the forum, This ram (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104317) would work at 16gb and at 1600mhz, correct?

Zygomorphic
10-05-2012, 01:46 AM
@lxPanda - no, the G74SX runs at 1333 MHz internally, only the G75/G55 run at 1600MHz. Save yourself a little green and get 1333, or get 1600, but don't be surprised if it down-clocks to 1333.

BigFattee
10-07-2012, 03:22 PM
@lxPanda - no, the G74SX runs at 1333 MHz internally, only the G75/G55 run at 1600MHz. Save yourself a little green and get 1333, or get 1600, but don't be surprised if it down-clocks to 1333.

Zygomorphic, have you tried 2x8gb@1600?

what about this?

(pg3 of this thread)
Yup I did, Works well with 2x8GB @1600mhz. 4 Sticks downclock to 1333mhz. 4x4gb @1866mhz pnp ram downclock @ 1333mhz as well. The G74 doesn't like four sticks in at all ... :p Go figure :confused:

fostert
10-07-2012, 10:38 PM

Sorry to differ....the G74 will run internally at whatever the SPD settings of the sticks state, unless (it seems) there are 4 sticks in there with clocks settings above 1333MHz (in which case it will default back to 1333 MHz; as I understand MarshallR above this is to limit power draw from the adaptor and heat generated, since 4 sticks need twice as much current draw from the IMC as two sticks). The whole point of "Plug-n-Play" DDR3 is to override any notebook's internal settings with special SPDs that fool the BIOS into running the clocks faster or timings tighter...we have seen that the G74 is fine with 1600MHz DDR3, again so long as it does not detect 4 sticks installed. 2x8GB=16 GB should run @1600MHz just fine.

Now the only question is do you really want to spend the $$ on this miniscule upgrade in speed?

Zygomorphic
10-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Wow! Sorry, I had forgotten about that. I have 16 (4x4) GB in my G53 and it runs at 1333 speeds. I wasn't aware of the 2x8 GB...Good to know!