PDA

View Full Version : g73jh-bst7 Recovery Partition Help

rzantarra
04-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi guys

I've been having some severe problems with my g73jh-bst7. It's out of warrenty from asus and bestbuy blacktie only covers the hardware, so i'm in alot of trouble.
I was having bsod's and freezes, expecially during idling over night. I tried a factory restore, but when I updated to the video drivers (stupidly I used the ones from ATI, not the ones on the asus support site) I ran into the same problems. When I attempted to run a second restore, but canceled before choosing the option. Now when I attempt an f9 restore, it doesn't read the recovery partion. I've done 3 clean resintalls and I keep runing into major crashing problems again.
Windows disk manager sees the protected restore partition, as does windows installer, so can anyone help me reinable the f9 restore to that partition? I would love to get this to a factory default to try to trace my problems back to the beginning and try again.
I would send it in for an RMA but like I said it's out of warrenty and I can't afford to pony up the shipping costs or the work on it if it's software related, not to mention if it's a hardware failure.

If someone can't help me, can someone point me towards a good copy of the recovery disks or drivers disks for the g73jh-bst7 ? I attempted to download off of Chastidy's post, but the links are dead and I keep on running into brick walls

Thanks in advance.

fuzon1337
04-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Hi

I just want to know, have you ever updated your GPU (vBIOS (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?774-G73jh-vBios-update-tutorial-for-GSOD-matter.))?
If not check out the vBIOS link, guide about how to do it :)

Also, you could download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download) and run the register check to clean the register from old useless junk that is left behind after uninstalls and updates.
If you choose to download this, be aware that sometimes CCleaner during installation asks for extra installation (like google toolbar) so just uncheck that :)

And if you're suffering from a hot notebook (hotter then it used to be) then you could blow some compressed air into the exhaust and you will see a lot of dust coming out.

If you got the Atheros Wifi card installed on your notebook, I will also recommend you to update that to it's latest version or a stabile one. (you can find the driver for it in this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=), you can also find Win7 HP in that thread to download).

If you want you can check out my thread (New notebook? Look here! (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9082-New-notebook-Look-here!), there you can find links to support sites for your hardware, and what bloatware to remove and so on) :)

Sorry if I'm all over the place, I'm tired now so I'm going too zzzZZZzzzz :p

rzantarra
04-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Hi, thnx for the reply. Sorry I was at work untill about an hour ago and it took me about half an hour to boot up the computer.

To your questions: Yes: I updated the bios as well as the vbios a bit ago, blew out my computer by removing the back pannel and using a canned air and a hairdryer several times, I regularly use ccleaner to clean out my system, and the made sure I updated to the latest atheros lan drivers.

One thing though: When I finally got the computer to run, it did a chckdsk of the recovery partition only before coming up. It's running a bit stable now but i'm about to restart for windows updates so I may not be on again for awhile.
Any luck with the recovery Partition? I saw on one of those links was partition software, Perhaps the recovery partiton boot record was deleted and I could restore it using one of those partition softwares?

I'm not a complete noob when it comes to all of this, however using partition software always gets me a bit nervous

thnx again

BrodyBoy
04-14-2012, 04:56 PM
One thing though: When I finally got the computer to run, it did a chckdsk of the recovery partition only before coming up. It's running a bit stable now but i'm about to restart for windows updates so I may not be on again for awhile.
Any luck with the recovery Partition? I saw on one of those links was partition software, Perhaps the recovery partiton boot record was deleted and I could restore it using one of those partition softwares?

I'm not a complete noob when it comes to all of this, however using partition software always gets me a bit nervous

thnx again
Have you tried running AI Recovery? If the recovery partition is messed up, it probably can't make the set of disks successfully, but worth a try, just in case.

CableGriM
02-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Sorry to drag up and old post but any luck finding the recovery discs or a way to recreate the recovery partition so that you dont have to rely on the DVDs?

Pitcher@asus
02-18-2013, 03:26 AM
is your recover partition still in your HDD? if not, you will buy the recover CD or send back to ASUS service center to reinstall it. if yes, please use the AI recover utility.

Jporter396
02-19-2013, 06:33 AM
I have recently reinstalled windows and took the dive with ati's video drivers. All is well so far, give the new ones a try on the next reinstallation and make sure to update your realtek audio driver from realteks website as well.