PDA

View Full Version : G73JH Will not power on

T.R.
01-12-2011, 04:24 PM
As the title says, the unit won't power on. The 'AC power plugged in' light on the front won't even light up.

I suspect I screwed up a BIOS update, as the this occurred immediately following an attempt to go from 206 to 211.

I was wondering if anyone has an potential solutions to get the unit to power on before I go to an RMA.

Chastity@ASUS
01-13-2011, 02:46 AM
RMA it, and don't tell them about doing the BIOS flash. Just say it no longer powers up.

Pseudo2011
01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Hello and good morning,

Well on Friday I got a laptop off ebay that was used as a modd for a cooling process... I was assured that non of the electrical was touched and that only the hard drive and cpu was removed... so I bought a cpu i7 720mq and pulled my old hd out of my other Asus G1S laptop... Well I installed them and everything was seemingly going well when I got about 3/4 of the way threw in windows 7 ultimate 32bit ( It would not let me install the 64 bit for some strange reason ) when it just shut down... meaning it tried to reboot to continue installing and died lol ... It will not even turn on the blue power button... I took it to a local repair shop for diagnostics and have not heard back from them ... 2 questions for everyone though... 1st can windows 7 shut down my laptop like this? I have heard tell that since it was pulled from my old laptop that it still had that configuration and MS had a program to shut down any other install that did not have the same configurations as the one I wanted to install it on ( btw I didn't want to do a new install as I had a few documents left on the HD I wanted to save... ) 2nd after I pulled the HD for the other laptop, I still could not get anything to power on... What can I do to boot up my G73 so that I at least have a bios screen?? Any info or help would be nice... Thanks again and btw I have build several desktops and know quite a bit about them but as for laptops I'm sort of clueless... TRMiller aka Pseudo2011

dstrakele
01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Here is a thread that discusses Windows 7 OEM vs. Retail licenses - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-exactly-does-windows-7-retail-vs-oem/fae7b2ab-c530-45e6-aeb3-cc55cf7b9231

Although it does not discuss it, I believe if you go outside the license, you would just be unable to activate the installation, and it would most likely display a Dialog on how to contact Microsoft to activate your installation. It would not shut your system down.

Sounds like you have a serious hardware issue, so your decision to seek diagnosis at a repair shop was correct.