PDA

View Full Version : Brand new g74 freezes looking for advice.

Jdai35
04-14-2012, 01:08 AM
I recived the g74 thursday out of the box i had problems with it freezing randomly and i would have to hard reset it. I clean installed windows 7 ultimate and installed good drivers. Still had the same problem. So I ran memtest-86 guess what.....it freezes during the test (7 minutes into it) I purchesed it though Newegg but it is past customer service hours now so I will need to wait till monday to get ahold of them.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of things to try before hand. Or would it just be wasting my time???

BrodyBoy
04-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Since it's brand new, I wouldn't bother trying to diagmose and fix it. Just return it and get a different unit.

Perhaps a RAM module or slot is bad. You could run mem diagnostics on each stick, and try each RAM slot, to narrow it down, but what's the point? Unless you want to take ownership of a laptop that malfunctioned right out of the box, and deal with an Asus RMA to get it working properly, you're better off just getting a different unit.

HavokD
04-14-2012, 12:52 PM
If you want to troubleshoot this issue further, then simply disconnect your network card. It can be reached easily, as it is just right next to the RAM modules. If this doesn't fix the freezes, then uninstall your Antivirus (I hope you aren't running AVG 9 or NOD since they have been know to offer a good protection and lots of issues on Windows).

If this didn't do the trick, then what I would do next it take out all your RAM modules. Then put 1 RAM stick at a time and run memtest for around 3 passes, that should tell you which module needs to be changed.

Gajets
04-14-2012, 04:40 PM
there is a strnge issue that causes the g74sx to appear locked up when comming out of sleep or hibernate.... the fix is even stranger. just pop open the dvd or blue ray drive. it then returns to normal...

BrodyBoy
04-14-2012, 04:42 PM
there is a strnge issue that causes the g74sx to appear locked up when comming out of sleep or hibernate.... the fix is even stranger. just pop open the dvd or blue ray drive. it then returns to normal...
The OP seems to have random freezes during use, so it doesn't sound like that issue.