PDA

View Full Version : Another touchpad problem!

andy404
04-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Hi all,

I have a G74SX and after a lot of searching this forum I know that many people seem to have problems with the touch pad. However mine is a bit different because it has simply stopped working and no longer appears in Device Manager. It is like it has just been unplugged, I was just using it and it normally and it stopped! I have tried the usual uninstall and reinstall of the drivers, checked that the device is enabled in the BIOS and even done a factory restore with no success. I am wondering if the cable could simply have come loose inside, could it be that simple? How hard is the G74 to open as I do have some experience with repairing laptops? Or should I return the laptop to ASUS for a warranty repair? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dstrakele
04-14-2012, 10:02 PM
How long have you owned this laptop? If you are still within your retailer's exchange/return period, you're better off exchanging it for a new unit, or taking the refund, rather than RMA'ing to ASUS. Once you RMA, the laptop's problems are YOUR problem and you must rely on ASUS to repair them while you are left without a computer.

The G74SX can ship with either Sentelic or Synaptics touchpads. It's important to know which one you have so you don't install the wrong driver. Be aware that installing the wrong driver will make the touchpad APPEAR to be from that manufacturer as viewed in Device Manager.

Have you uninstalled the touchpad driver from Control Panel and rebooted the laptop to let Windows install its Plug N Play driver? If it still fails to function at that point, it is likely a bad connection or short is the cause of your problem, but you can't rule out failure of the device.

Some of the longer touchpad threads on this forum (pay particular attention to the posts by BrodyBoy) and the Notebook Review forum display pictures of touchpad repair. I'd recommend reviewing them to see if it is a task you want to undertake if exchange/return is not feasible.

BrodyBoy
04-15-2012, 01:38 AM
I am wondering if the cable could simply have come loose inside, could it be that simple? How hard is the G74 to open as I do have some experience with repairing laptops? Or should I return the laptop to ASUS for a warranty repair? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
From your description, a bad cable connection certainly sounds possible. But it seems weird/unlikely that it would just suddenly come loose during use. I don't think I've ever heard of that.

The touchpad PCB and the touchpad button assembly are completely separate in the G74...each has its own cable directly to the motherboard. (In many laptops, they are cabled together, then one "combo" cable goes to the M/B.) It seems near impossible that both cables could come loose at the same time, so have you noticed whether the touchpad buttons still work? If they do, I would think that narrows the issue to the touchpad PCB or cable.

All that said, I'd concur with dstrakele's comments about returning that G74, if at all possible. If a factory restore didn't even discover the pointing device, this strongly suggests a hardware failure of one sort or another.

andy404
04-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks very much for the replies.

I can confirm that the touchpad buttons dont work either, so from your advice it would seem unlikely that the problem is as simple as a loose connection, and more likely to be hardware failure so opening the laptop is not worthwhile. I purchased the laptop from an online retailer in Dec last year so i will contact them rather than RMAing it back to ASUS, although I suspect that they will offer a repair rather than a refund or replacement unfortunately.