PDA

View Full Version : Harddrive caddys are now available!

Brian@ASUS
01-12-2011, 09:35 PM
if they are gone, use the auto notify option!

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=2998

http://us.estore.asus.com/images/products/detail_3018_13GNY81AM020-1-M.jpg

Bastian
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
One thing to note: these Harddrive caddies from Asus "do not come with screws". For the $25.00 + shipping, one would think that Asus could throw in the screws needed to install the caddy.

Networc
01-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Does the bracket for the G73 series work for the G53, as well?

The part number I am referring to is: 13GNY81AM020-1
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3018

Thanks for the help!

irdmoose
01-20-2011, 01:44 AM
Aren't the screws that are used to hold the drive into the caddy the same thread and length used to hold the caddy into the chassis? You could probably spare a screw (or one of the four screws since you don't really need all 4 the way this mounts) from your install package (if you're using a retail boxed HDD/SSD) to attach this to the chassis if that's the case. Just a thought.

toyota_scion_tc
01-20-2011, 03:42 AM
It doesnt fit exactly, one side works perfect but the other side does not, you have to bend down the tabs. I didnt like it and ordered one from www.asusparts.eu

Networc
01-20-2011, 04:26 AM
Bummer. Thanks for the info.

Brian@ASUS: Do you know if a G53 caddy will end up on the e-store?

Brian@ASUS
01-21-2011, 07:39 PM
g73 30 pieces should be available next week

cnwky
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
thanks for the info. does the caddy come with screws?

Isror
01-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Any idea when the caddy for the G51 will be back in stock? I just installed a SSD as my OS drive and I'd like to get the other 320Gig drive in for storage.

Brian@ASUS
01-28-2011, 12:50 AM
wait for end of this week, if they are not in stock i will check with the estore team.

raydabruce
01-30-2011, 05:59 PM
No. The screws to secure the caddy to the chassis are the same as the ones used for the access panel on the bottom. The screws used to secure the drive in the caddy are a different length & thickness.

You can get the screws at most any computer repair shop. They are metric. The sizes are listed on the page for the caddy HERE. (http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3018)

RainMotorsports
02-18-2011, 06:40 PM
LOL after seeing the parts thread i now notice this. NICE. Thanks to who ever was responsible.

btotech.com
02-19-2011, 05:40 PM
better late then never :)

Relinquishedpain
02-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Just a thought, but they need to start ordering more at a time. Sold out within 12 hours of getting them in stock, it's a little irritating. I hate to bring up things that may have already been said, but selling spare/upgrade/replacement/etc parts is good business, and considering the amount of parts that vanish from the stores that sell them nearly instantaneously, there is obviously more demand than the store(s) are accounting for, or are willing to deal with.

It doesn't matter if the units are advertised with one part, twelve parts, or a hundred parts, there always are, and always will be a 'lot' of people out there who will want to get parts to upgrade or fix the equipment that they have. If a business can make a few bucks off of every person who wants to do so, they should jump at the opportunity, that is the point of capitalism is it not?

Either way, I am now waiting or the next set to come in, rather impatiently I might add. I'm not willing to jury rig a brand new 1500 dollar laptop with velcro, you (brian) can tell whoever told you that to stick it.

/Endrant

Chastity@ASUS
02-24-2011, 08:31 PM
PROTIP: red text on dark grey background = PITA to read :)

Relinquishedpain
02-25-2011, 06:00 AM
Perhaps a PITA for you :P But i'm not sure what flat bread has to do with it. I like dark red, and forever it shall remain... After this post of course.

chadwick17
03-03-2011, 12:59 AM
FYI. I used M3x4 and M2.5x8 screws in lieu of the ones mentioned and they worked just fine. Found them at my local ACE Hardware store for a grand total of 97 cents.

ptchfrk
03-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the tip as to where to find (www.asusparts.eu) the HDD caddy for the G53JW series. The price was a bit over double its value, considering shipping, but it was worth it to me. I have a machine that's about to deliver and needed to make that mod (a second hard drive) as well as upgrade the 4Gb memory to 8Gb prior to sending it to its end user, my son. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

stogi1knobi
03-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Great thanks for this... a must have upgrade for my G73

paladin44
03-13-2011, 03:42 AM
Brian...when are the ASUS G73, G53, N73 and N53 brackets going to be in stock?

Networc
03-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Looks like the G53JW caddies are finally in: http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3451

mes323
03-29-2011, 10:56 PM
submitted a request to be notified yesterday, ordered one today! Hope it gets here quick! Time to cannibalize some screws unfortunately.

At0m5k
04-05-2011, 09:20 PM
So what's the benefit of having a caddy if I already have two drives? Will this allow me to install another drive internally?

The description on the store site just says "This hard drive caddy will enable you to securely mount an additional 2.5" hard drive to your G73 laptop."

Is it meant to be used externally (That'd be pretty funny actually)? I'm guessing it's a replacement part right? That description isn't very specific.

jwilfong
04-06-2011, 04:44 AM
The way I understand it the G73 can handle two drives. Some units came with 2-500GB drives. Some lower cost models came with only one 500GB drive. If you have only 500GB of storage then chances are you have an available place internally for another drive. Unfortunately, there is no caddy to install this extra drive thus the need to buy a caddy. Some people have elected to install a SSD drive in this available spot for the speed it provides.

John

lotust
04-06-2011, 07:56 PM
wow I need to lay out 22$for a tin metal HD caddy? great laptop but common now.

Brian@ASUS
04-06-2011, 10:13 PM
like jwilfong said, some of the lower spec units came with only 1 harddrive. you have the ability to upgrade a 2nd harddrive or ssd on your own. OR if you broke your caddy for whatever reason, its there for you to fix.

remember guys, estore is not meant for upgrading your notebook. we intend to sell these accessories to replace any broken items on your existing products. it just so happens that a lot of parts are interchangable and backwards compatible so it seems like a way to upgrade and some may say this should be included with the notebook for free. well if you have purchased a notebook with 1 harddrive, you probably didnt plan to buy a 2nd harddrive otherwise you would have purchased the one with 2 harddrives... only 2% of the market intend to upgrade their notebooks utilizing the parts from estore. just a FYI =]

Brian@ASUS
04-06-2011, 10:13 PM
like jwilfong said, some of the lower spec units came with only 1 harddrive. you have the ability to upgrade a 2nd harddrive or ssd on your own. OR if you broke your caddy for whatever reason, its there for you to fix.

remember guys, estore is not meant for upgrading your notebook. we intend to sell these accessories to replace any broken items on your existing products. it just so happens that a lot of parts are interchangeable and backwards compatible so it seems like a way to upgrade and some may say this should be included with the notebook for free. well if you have purchased a notebook with 1 harddrive, you probably didnt plan to buy a 2nd harddrive otherwise you would have purchased the one with 2 harddrives... only 2% of the market intend to upgrade their notebooks utilizing the parts from estore. just a FYI =]

BulletSponge
04-23-2011, 12:43 AM
GREAT!!! But where can I get the screws? I do not want to steal screws from the other components in my G53

DM9018
06-04-2011, 04:15 PM

remember guys, estore is not meant for upgrading your notebook. we intend to sell these accessories to replace any broken items on your existing products. it just so happens that a lot of parts are interchangeable and backwards compatible so it seems like a way to upgrade and some may say this should be included with the notebook for free. well if you have purchased a notebook with 1 harddrive, you probably didnt plan to buy a 2nd harddrive otherwise you would have purchased the one with 2 harddrives... only 2% of the market intend to upgrade their notebooks utilizing the parts from estore. just a FYI =]

New member here, and I'm not sure if you're an official Asus representative. But in case you are, allow me to respond to this in all politeness, with the hope that perhaps you can convey my message to the appropriate people at Asus.

As you say, some models of the notebook are sold with only 1 drive, and the position Asus takes is that if you had wanted 2 drives, you'd have bought the 2 drive model. I'll also admit that only 2% of the market intends to upgrade their notebooks.

But as a buyer, my perspective is different. Unlike Dell or Alienware which let you build a notebook to exactly your specs online, Asus doesn't allow you to spec what you want. You have a limited range of models to choose from. In my market, if I want a 2-drive version the only one available also comes with Bluray, which I don't need. Further, the second drive is a regular hard drive, whereas I want the second drive to be an SSD. I'd have to throw away the second drive and keep its caddy, and put an SSD in there. Kind of expensive and impractical, as you can see.

That caddy is just a simple molded metal plate. There is no way it costs more than $5 to manufacture - probably much less. You could simply increase the cost of the notebook by $5 and include that caddy.

Now I would agree with you 100% that adding $5 to the cost across the board for something that only 2% of the buyers will ever use is bad sales technique - IF we were talking about a mass-market notebook. But at 17.3" and 8 pounds, this is not a mass market book. People who buy something this big and this heavy have some narrow use in mind, usually gaming or heavy photoshop/3ds max work, or perhaps video editing. Or it's a desktop replacement. Getting exactly what they want is more important to them. That $5 part can be the difference between "hey this looks great, good price, I can spend a little more and customize it to my needs" versus "wow, that much hassle just for getting a second drive, when the drive bay is already there?" This is the kind of thing that flips the switch at the last minute and they click away to Alienware or MSI or something else instead.

Eclypse3demons
06-21-2011, 01:28 AM
I have a G53JW and I can confirm that the hard drive caddy screws are NOT the same as the G73.

The HDD to Caddy are the same M3x3

The Caddy to Chassis are much much smaller than the M2.5X5 which is basically the regular chassis screws for like the panels (although shorter)

@Brian what is the metric size of the caddy to chassis screws cause they look to be half the size of the regular M2.5x5 ?

The estore page for the G53 caddy does not show the size of either of the two sets (4 for the HDD, and 2 for the chassis).

Hondacity
06-21-2011, 06:33 PM
i didn't know asus has an e-store :D

kennyomar
01-14-2012, 10:00 PM
It doesnt fit exactly, one side works perfect but the other side does not, you have to bend down the tabs. I didnt like it and ordered one from www.asusparts.eu

Hi Toyota_scion_tc, I had an accident with my headset cable and I broke the plug inside the jack of my G74sx. I need to buy the audio board in order to replace it. The only website where I found it is on asusparts.eu. What is the process to buy parts from there if I live in the U.S. Thanks

BrodyBoy
01-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Hi Toyota_scion_tc, I had an accident with my headset cable and I broke the plug inside the jack of my G74sx. I need to buy the audio board in order to replace it. The only website where I found it is on asusparts.eu. What is the process to buy parts from there if I live in the U.S. Thanks
You just have to pay a lot for shipping. But they do ship to the U.S. You might want to shop around and seen if you can find it anywhere online here in the States before ordering there....shipping may well cost more than the board itself. :(