PDA

View Full Version : Computer lag / Sound Stutter ASUS G74SX

garratt04
04-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Hey everyone,

So I recently sent my notebook in to get repair and I finally got it back but it seems the problem that I was having before still persists. For some reason I seem to be getting a weird lag issue that happens randomly. Its like my CPU stutters and my sound also stutters in all programs. This happens when I am playing different computer games, listening to music or even shutting down the internet browser. This problem is driving me NUTS i've been searching all over for a fix. I've checked my audio drivers and everything seems to be up to date.

Thanks,
Chris

BrodyBoy
04-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Have you ever updated you WLAN driver? If you have an Atheros WLAN card, which driver are you using?

garratt04
04-16-2012, 07:00 AM
I am using the 9.2.0.458 Driver is that incorrect??

BrodyBoy
04-16-2012, 07:09 AM
I am using the 9.2.0.458 Driver is that incorrect??
No, it's okay...that's a fairly recent one. I can't remember the version number, but the original Atheros driver (the one shipped on the machine) caused a lot of DPC lag. I just wanted to rule out that possibility.

I'm signing off soon, but you might want to run DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml)and see if a driver is giving you serious latency issues. They can cause the kind of behaviors you're describing.

garratt04
04-16-2012, 08:27 PM
So I updated my Atheros WIFI / BT Drivers and nothing has changed i'm still getting the same lag issues that I was getting before... This is starting to drive me absolutely nuts because its interrupting my game play. Its like a short little stutter that happens randomly when im playing games or anything

HavokD
04-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Go to Event Viewer and try to find the errors, something should show. I've got those problems on mine (the sound is kind of a robotic tune with the last sound looping, almost like dubstep), and it shows on Event Viewer as Display errors or critical "Kernel Power" errors.

garratt04
04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
I checked in the Event Viewer and i'm getting nothing of a kernal power error at all :(

garratt04
04-18-2012, 06:01 AM
I am still experiencing this problem can someone please help me I will honestly do anything. I'm getting so extremely frustrated

BrodyBoy
04-18-2012, 06:10 AM
I am still experiencing this problem can someone please help me I will honestly do anything. I'm getting so extremely frustrated
Maybe it's time for a factory restore or a clean install?

garratt04
04-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I honestly did a factory reset about two weeks ago could it be McAfee Anti Virus?

BrodyBoy
04-18-2012, 05:38 PM
I honestly did a factory reset about two weeks ago could it be McAfee Anti Virus?
So are you saying that you did a complete factory restore, and then added McAfee to the OEM configuration? If so, that could indeed create issues, because the OEM installation includes Trend Micro.

Did it exhibit this stuttering issue immediately after the factory restore....before you started adding other software to it?

garratt04
04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
I honestly can't recall exactly when this started happening do you think I should do another factory restore and not install McAfee... I'm pretty sure that I uninstalled Trend Micro before I installed McAfee

BrodyBoy
04-19-2012, 12:28 AM
I honestly can't recall exactly when this started happening do you think I should do another factory restore and not install McAfee... I'm pretty sure that I uninstalled Trend Micro before I installed McAfee
Yeah, I think so. I see how frustrated you are with this, so I think it's time to do some "start-from-scratch" troubleshooting.

I would recommend that you do a complete factory restore, using either the recovery partition or a set of recovery DVDs, and use the computer for a couple days with no changes to the OEM installation. If you don't see this stuttering behavior with that installation, then you can start ...very deliberately & gradually....customizing the set-up and doing updates. If you prefer McAfee, for example, you need to completely uninstall the Trend Micro software before installing any new security programs. (Security programs are hard to get rid of....I would even go so far as to use a 3rd party uninstaller utility to remove all traces of it.) Similarly, there are some drivers that you'll probably want to update. Do them one at a time and use the computer long enough after each one to be sure that the stuttering hasn't resumed.
(Remember to move or back up any data files on the partitions that'll be overwritten by the factory restore.)

This can be a little tedious and take longer than you like, but it's the most effective way to zero in on what software is causing the problem.

An alternative troubleshooting approach is to do a clean install. This has the advantage of never including extraneous, unwanted software to begin with. I.e., Trend Micro will never get installed, so it can't conflict with your own security software. If you are interested in pursuing this route, let me know and we can go over what you need to do.

garratt04
04-20-2012, 03:13 AM
I'm going to try the f9 partition restore before the clean install just because it's a little easier. Is it okay if I update my graphics drivers right away because I don't think they are causing any of the issues and install steam so I can try it out in game because that's when it happens most??

BrodyBoy
04-20-2012, 03:20 AM
I'm going to try the f9 partition restore before the clean install just because it's a little easier. Is it okay if I update my graphics drivers right away because I don't think they are causing any of the issues and install steam so I can try it out in game because that's when it happens most??
If you really want to. But if you install those two pieces of software and see the stuttering, I'd recommend you go back and start over.

I think the best/easiest troubleshooting approach it to start with a good configuration, and then add stuff until the issue re-appears. So if you do a factory restore and use it for a couple days with no problems, you'll have established that it's something you're installing. (This would be a good thing to establish, as it would confirm that this is a software issue, not a hardware problem.) If you then add/update software systematically and test each time, you can identify the culprit.

garratt04
04-20-2012, 03:40 AM
That is very true the only thing that kind of sucks is that this happens randomly and I can't actually make it happen. Is a clean install hard to do i'm decent with computers but i'm not gonna say that i'm great...

BrodyBoy
04-20-2012, 03:42 AM
That is very true the only thing that kind of sucks is that this happens randomly and I can't actually make it happen. Is a clean install hard to do i'm decent with computers but i'm not gonna say that i'm great...
An F9 restore only take about 45-60 minutes, so go ahead and try that first.

garratt04
04-20-2012, 03:45 AM
Okay i'll start that right now and I'll get back to you after its all done..

garratt04
04-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Quick question with the F9 Partition the Three options it gives me
1. Recover windows to the first partition
2. recover the HD
3. recover the HD and two partitions

which one am i choosing... sorry to be a bother

garratt04
04-20-2012, 04:38 AM
I'm gonna choose the first option I think since my other two partitions have nothing on them

BrodyBoy
04-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Quick question with the F9 Partition the Three options it gives me
1. Recover windows to the first partition
2. recover the HD
3. recover the HD and two partitions

which one am i choosing... sorry to be a bother
Not a bother at all. Sorry I wasn't around....but you picked the safest option. Best when you're unsure. :)

garratt04
04-20-2012, 04:06 PM
So since doing the factory restore I havent noticed the issue as of yet. I uninstalled Trend Micro straight from the programs Diagnostic tool which I googled was the best way to uninstall it. I updated my GPU Drivers and also installed a few different programs like CCleaner and Steam and so far so good. I'm just wondering do you think its safe to do the Asus Update Drivers ??

BrodyBoy
04-20-2012, 05:04 PM
So since doing the factory restore I havent noticed the issue as of yet. I uninstalled Trend Micro straight from the programs Diagnostic tool which I googled was the best way to uninstall it. I updated my GPU Drivers and also installed a few different programs like CCleaner and Steam and so far so good. I'm just wondering do you think its safe to do the Asus Update Drivers ??
Safe?? Hmm. I think that's a bad program and I don't recommend it. In fact, my recommendation is always to uninstall it.

You have a stable system right now....that's great! So be patient, and maintain a "troubleshooting" mindset as you proceed cautiously. What you know is that there was some piece (or pieces) of software previously installed that caused problems in your system. So again, change and update things slowly. You have already made several changes to the OEM installation, so why not use it like that for a couple days and make sure that the issue is gone, for now.

Don't be anxious to alter a stable installation. If you have drivers that need updating, I usually suggest that you do them manually, one-at-a-time. But even if you do want to use Asus LIve Update and stay with Asus' driver versions, update them selectively.