PDA

View Full Version : Need help with G73 RMA

Rockhopper
04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Hello there. I have a G73 that I bought at Best Buy last January (2011). It appears that the video card has fried itself, system will not display any video or turn the screen on, and there are no beeps or anything. Some internet research indicates that this is a dead video card.

At any rate, I contacted ASUS to obtain repair information. The person I spoke with barely spoke English and I didn't understand anything that was said other than it was out of warranty. I have an RMA number, but I still don't know if I will be charged for Asus to look at it and provide a repair estimate, or what they will charge to ship it back should I decline the repair. Any help in this area would be appreciated.

dstrakele
04-16-2012, 02:57 PM
I believe Best Buy offers a different warranty than ASUS on the ASUS laptops they sell. Give Best Buy a call.

Rockhopper
04-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Best Buy has a 12 month warranty. Thats the difference.

BrodyBoy
04-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Best Buy has a 12 month warranty. Thats the difference.
Asus provides either a one or two-year international warranty, and in the models I've seen, specifies the warranty coverage on the model sticker on the bottom of the computer. If your computer came with a one-year warranty, you're outside the coverage period and the repair won't be covered by BB or Asus.

If you bought it with a credit card, however, most of them offer an added warranty benefit.....usually something like "double the manufacturer's warranty up to an extra year." If this applies, you need contact the CC warranty program and set up a claim with them.

Rockhopper
04-17-2012, 12:00 AM
I know about the warranty sticker. It says 12 months.

What I don't know is how much, if anything, Asus will charge me to estimate the repair.

I don't want to ship it to them, have them say something obnoxious like $800 for the repair, me decline, and then Asus say, well you owe us $200 for looking at it.

BrodyBoy
04-17-2012, 02:25 AM
I know about the warranty sticker. It says 12 months.

What I don't know is how much, if anything, Asus will charge me to estimate the repair.

I don't want to ship it to them, have them say something obnoxious like $800 for the repair, me decline, and then Asus say, well you owe us $200 for looking at it.
I had to have a video card repair done on a Toshiba laptop awhile back, and (using the extra coverage I got through my AmEx card) I was able to take it to a local repair shop rather than send it to the manufacturer. It was still pretty expensive, but AmEx covered the entire cost.

Perhaps you could find a local repair shop to give you an estimate. At least you'd have an idea of the cost, and maybe it'd be easier to just get it done there.