PDA

View Full Version : black screen at startup-temporarily solved (?)

iluvatar
04-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi,

I have this problem with my laptop that every time i close the lid, it goes to sleep but after a few seconds it wakes up again. I always have to close the lid twice. I dont know if that has anything to do with what happened today but anyway. So today I closed the lid, the laptop woke up again so I opened the lid to wait for the screen to come on and.. it just stayed black. I thought it was just some windows related error, so I shut it down by holding the power button.
About an hour later when I wanted to start it again, I just got a black screen at the startup. The 3 lights would light up and then thats it. Some people report that they can hear windows starting when it happens to them, but not in my case. The laptop would turn off with a simple press of the power button.

After searching the net for many hours, I decided to open up the laptop. I removed everything until i got to the harddrive and ram. I removed the ram and put it back in place and pressed with my fingers on everything i could see^^. I thought it might be a lose contact or something, so I pushed hard on the heat pipes and graphic card beneath it.
When I started my laptop again it just worked fine, windows first launched the startup repair but couldnt fix anything. After that i started and since then everything has been working fine, although I havent put any load on it.

So my question is, was it just some loose contact (i took the laptop to a friend yesterday and moved it around quite a lot, although in the backpack) or is it something serious? How can I find out/ fix it?

Thx for your help

fuzon1337
04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi

Which notebook do you have? G74sx?

The first thought I got was the atheros wifi card, that prevented your notebook to get to sleep mode, so I would updated that to a stable driver (if you haven't done that, driver in this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=)).

If you don't get the same issue again, then it is nothing to worry about.

Also since you have taken out the RAM and inserted, that can have solved the issue :)

iluvatar
04-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Thx for the reply.
Sry forgot to mention the namem, it's a g53sw. I will update the atheros card and see what it does.
So far my laptop has been running stable, but Im kinda scared to move it around now. I already have a new gpu and motherboard because the gpu stopped working after just a few weeks. It really is a shame, I had my old acer for 5 years and took it around the world and it still works and this one has one problem after the other..

fuzon1337
04-17-2012, 10:51 AM
When you were at your friends house, you should have used a lot of power to make any cables or something like that getting loose.
Ofcourse since you're now saying that MB and GPU has been changed, then the person who did the repair at the workshop, can have missed on inserting the cables correctly/ a little loose.

I hope that this just was one time issue and you wont have any other issues with that notebook :)

iluvatar
04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Yeah I hope it was a one time thing.
Also, updating the atheros driver did not solve the sleep problem. Any other suggestions?

fuzon1337
04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Take a look at this forum (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/583215-g73sw-g53sw-latest-drivers-everything-you-need-fresh-install.html)

Scroll down to update 3.11 (audio)

"NOTE: It has been reported that certain versions of Realtek drivers cause the system to wake right after putting it to sleep, thus preventing sleep or hibernation. After you install the Realtek driver from either option and reboot, check to see if sleep and hibernation is working."

Not sure if that is the issue you have with putting your notebook to sleep... but it's worth to give it a try :)

K4ndym4n
09-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Hey Guys,

I know this thread is a few months old, but I just recently started having this problem with my G75VW. It's intermittent at best (which i guess i should be happy about) but I just don't understand why it's waking with the lid down. I first noticed the system lights on with the lid down after using my Hauppauge USB TV tuner; thought it was related to that, so I unplugged the stick but it's still waking randomly. As others have stated, sometimes when I lift the lid, Instant On logs me in and everything is fine... other times though I get a black screen but can still hear windows and website sounds until I'm forced to shut down with the power button. This issue doesn't seem to cause any serious problems, it's just a pain.
Appreciate any feedback, Thanks in Advance-
ASUS G75VW-RS72
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30/3.30 GHz.
Memory: 16 GB PC1666 DDR3
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB SSD + Seagate Momentus XT 7200RPM 750GB SSHD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3GB
Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen
OS: Windows 7 HP (x64) + Bitdefender Internet Security 2013

dstrakele
09-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Are you using your Ethernet adapter for internet connection? If so, check out http://jack.ukleja.com/fix-for-windows-7-random-wake-from-sleep-problem.

I think you should start a new thread in the G75 and G55 forum. No G75 owner with a similar issue will be looking here.

K4ndym4n
09-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the input.... Will try that now, just didn't want to start one initially since I found a similar thread-