PDA

View Full Version : Which Asus G74SX model should I choose?

CPalm44
04-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Hey all,

I'm interested in buying a new laptop mostly so I can play games like SWTOR, SC2, Diablo 3, etc. I have been doing a lot of research on the Asus G74SX series, but I'm just not sure which model I should go with. And apparently some models have been discontinued so I just dont know what is what. I know some come with blu-ray and 3D additions, but I'm not really interested in those options. I'd like to spend under $1,500 if possible. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm not too familiar with computer lingo or anything just so you all know.

I was leaning towards this one at the moment:
Newegg.com - ASUS G74SX-NH71 Notebook Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory DDR3 500GB HDD 7200rpm DL DVD±RW/CD-RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

chrsplmr
04-17-2012, 02:28 AM
I think any one of them with the 1920 x1080 screen ... that comes in under your number is a good deal..
I saw it mentioned here by one of the Laptop Gurus that Amazon has the best warranty ...

(All I will say of NewEgg is if you get it and the least little thing is out of place or wrong .. Send it Back. ASAP..
they are usually very good about this .. but. ) Welcome. Best of luck to you. Dont be a stranger.c.

CPalm44
04-17-2012, 04:19 AM
Thanks! But yeah it does seem like the majority goes with Amazon. Only thing was that Amazon didn't have all of the models for sale that I had done research on. I've spent what feels like hours looking around trying to find out what my best option is. And another thing that made things difficult for me was Amazon not listing ALL of the specs of each model. For example if one model played Blu-Ray or just DVDs (at least I didn't see it listed).

57degrees
04-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Just make sure none of the games you want to play need the Num Lock key. The G74 series does not have a Num Lock key, at all, period. ASUS technical support will tell you to remap (whatever) function to some other key, if the game uses Num Lock. (In WoW, the default Run key is Num Lock. Don't know about Diablo 3).

jclark65
04-17-2012, 02:16 PM
This is the one I got from Amazon and really like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G74SX-AH71-17-3-Inch-Gaming/dp/B005UUS6MO/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

CPalm44
04-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Just make sure none of the games you want to play need the Num Lock key. The G74 series does not have a Num Lock key, at all, period. ASUS technical support will tell you to remap (whatever) function to some other key, if the game uses Num Lock. (In WoW, the default Run key is Num Lock. Don't know about Diablo 3).

I did hear about that. Is it pretty easy to remap key functions if that were the case for any games that I were to get? And I guess I'll look into that, thanks for the tip.

CPalm44
04-17-2012, 06:20 PM
This is the one I got from Amazon and really like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G74SX-AH71-17-3-Inch-Gaming/dp/B005UUS6MO/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

This was one of the models that I have in an open tab at the moment: The AH71 along with the NH71. I just don't understand the difference between the two, which brought me here to ask you all. Haha. Can anyone tell me the differences or pros/cons to each model?

gilbert
04-17-2012, 06:28 PM
any one is good just make sure u get one with the 192bit gpu (gtx 560m 3gb) not the gtx 560m 2gb....

CPalm44
04-17-2012, 07:42 PM
any one is good just make sure u get one with the 192bit gpu (gtx 560m 3gb) not the gtx 560m 2gb....

Okay that checks off the models available at Best Buy. haha

G74sxpoo
04-17-2012, 07:49 PM
NONE if you play games.

The list of games that I cannot play with any level of enjoyment due to missing the numlock ability:

That's of $400 worth of games that are useless on the POS laptop.

BrodyBoy
04-17-2012, 07:49 PM
@CPalm44:

The model numbers are confusing, because some are exclusive to particular retailers. It's a headache to try to keep all the configurations straight. The easiest approach with Asus laptops, IMO, is to figure out which components can vary in the given model you're considering. In the G74, that includes:

CPU speed: 2.0 or 2.3GHz
RAM: 8-16Gb
HDD/SSD configuration: many options
Optical drive: CD/DVD combo drive or CD/DVD/BD drive or BD writer drive
DIsplay: Full HD or HD+
GPU bandwidth: 192bit or 128bit
VRAM: 1.5Gb or 2Gb or 3Gb
WLAN card: WLAN+BT combo card or WLAN+WIMAX combo card

Decide which options are important to you, and then just look for any configuration that comes closest to your desired specs. There are some components that are very easily & cheaply upgraded after the fact (RAM, WLAN card), so I wouldn't let those be deal-breakers. Even the HDDs and ODD are pretty easily changed later.

Beyond that, choose a retailer that has a good return policy...i.e., no-questions-asked returns accepted within 15-30 days. If you have any of the known hardware issues, like a bad keyboard or touchpad, you want to be able to just return that unit and get a new one.

(Note also that Asus laptops purchased through certain retailers, like Best Buy and Staples, are not eligible for Asus' extra warranty features.)

CPalm44
04-17-2012, 08:04 PM
@CPalm44:

The model numbers are confusing, because some are exclusive to particular retailers. It's a headache to try to keep all the configurations straight. The easiest approach with Asus laptops, IMO, is to figure out which components can vary in the given model you're considering. In the G74, that includes:

CPU speed: 2.0 or 2.3GHz
RAM: 8-16Gb
HDD/SSD configuration: many options
Optical drive: CD/DVD combo drive or CD/DVD/BD drive or BD writer drive
DIsplay: Full HD or HD+
GPU bandwidth: 192bit or 128bit
VRAM: 1.5Gb or 2Gb or 3Gb
WLAN card: WLAN+BT combo card or WLAN+WIMAX combo card

Decide which options are important to you, and then just look for any configuration that comes closest to your desired specs. There are some components that are very easily & cheaply upgraded after the fact (RAM, WLAN card), so I wouldn't let those be deal-breakers. Even the HDDs and ODD are pretty easily changed later.

Beyond that, choose a retailer that has a good return policy...i.e., no-questions-asked returns accepted within 15-30 days. If you have any of the known hardware issues, like a bad keyboard or touchpad, you want to be able to just return that unit and get a new one.

(Note also that Asus laptops purchased through certain retailers, like Best Buy and Staples, are not eligible for Asus' extra warranty features.)

Yeah, finding a good retailer seems to be the hard part right now. I hear Amazon is a good one as far as a purchase like this goes.

And as far as the specs that I need goes, that is the issue. I am not too great with computer lingo or understand what each spec improves what, etc. All I know is that I don't need bluray, and I would like a computer that is not a piece of junk like my Dell Inspiron that can barely play games made in the early 2000's. Haha. And also like I said before, to be able to play some games, i.e SWTOR.

CPalm44
04-17-2012, 08:09 PM
NONE if you play games.

The list of games that I cannot play with any level of enjoyment due to missing the numlock ability:

That's of $400 worth of games that are useless on the POS laptop.

Like what games? I know WoW is apparantly tough to play on this laptop unless you reconfig the keypad or something. Would I be able to play Diablo 3?

And if anyone has suggestions on another laptop besides a G74, please say so.

Also, does Asus make a laptop that has the same specs as a G74 but smaller screen, for example a 15 inch?

BrodyBoy
04-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Amazon is an excellent choice for Asus laptops. You get the fullw arranty coverage (including the ADP and "360" coverage, if you remember to register for it), and a 30-day return policy. I can't overstate the importance of having an easy, low-cost return option with this model. (I had to return two of them, and because I use Amazon Prime shipping, there's was no extra cost whatsoever.) If the configuration you want isn;t available there right now, keep checking back. They seem to come and go frequently.

As others have said, the Full HD display and the 3Gb GPU options are best for gaming. Beyond that, get the HDD space you need, if you don't want to upgrade later. Not needing the BD drive should save you quite a bit of money.

BrodyBoy
04-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Also, does Asus make a laptop that has the same specs as a G74 but smaller screen, for example a 15 inch?

The G53 is the "little brother" of the G74.

CPalm44
04-18-2012, 12:38 AM
So it looks like im leaning toward either the NH71 or the AH71 or possibly the G53SX-AH71.

Right now the NH71 I can find on Newegg.com (I couldn't find it on Amazon) for $1,379.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230142

The AH71 on Amazon is currently running at $1,499.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G74SX-AH71-17-3-Inch-Gaming/dp/tech-data/B005UUS6MO/ref=de_a_smtd

And the G53SX-AH71 model on Amazon for $1,199.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G53SX-AH71-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/tech-data/B005UUS6BU/ref=de_a_smtd

Let me know what you guys think based off what I am looking to do. Which is playing games (MMOs, Diablo 3, RTS, etc.). Or if you think I should go a complete different route. (I am a little nervous about the whole "no num lock key" issue with the keyboard. Im not sure if thats easy to fix or if it would cause me to run into issues when playing games down the road. Anyway, thanks again for all of your help.

Northforge
04-18-2012, 03:19 AM
Which one should you choose? The one that doesn't display lines in shadows. So, don't get one. >:[ NVidia, why would you let me down after years of supporting you!

BrodyBoy
04-18-2012, 04:40 AM
Let me know what you guys think based off what I am looking to do. Which is playing games (MMOs, Diablo 3, RTS, etc.). Or if you think I should go a complete different route. (I am a little nervous about the whole "no num lock key" issue with the keyboard. Im not sure if thats easy to fix or if it would cause me to run into issues when playing games down the road. Anyway, thanks again for all of your help.
Keep in mind...all those G74s are the same model, so they are much more similar than different. Minor component differences really won't make any difference in terms of using the machine as you describe.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the G53 has the calculator key, does it? If it's a concern for you (with the G74), then you probably shouldn't get it. There's no "easy fix," and many owners have been frustrated by this feature, or lack thereof.

jclark65
04-18-2012, 09:38 AM
I was going to order the Newegg model and had actually bought it but waited 5 days and it was still not shipped so I cancelled and got the AH model. The NH has 12 gig of ram vs the 16 in the AH and has a 500 gig hd vs the 750 in the AH. The NH has a 2 yr warrentee I(I think) and the AH has 1 yr. I was ticked at Newegg, I talked to them 3 times and they told me it would ship soon... The other items shipped almost immediately so not sure what was up with the computer.

Aras
04-18-2012, 03:10 PM
men are u serious? wait 2 weeks for G75... i can already make preorder from shop in my country with 2 options of graphics cards...

BrodyBoy
04-18-2012, 05:44 PM
men are u serious? wait 2 weeks for G75... i can already make preorder from shop in my country with 2 options of graphics cards...
You're assuming that everyone wants the same computer as you. You are wrong.

Peregrine
04-18-2012, 06:13 PM
The G53 is the "little brother" of the G74.

I have the G53 and I like it alot. I wanted a smaller one. I think the 74 is just too damn big.
I know I am in the minority. ;)

BrodyBoy
04-18-2012, 06:24 PM
I have the G53 and I like it alot. I wanted a smaller one. I think the 74 is just too damn big.
I know I am in the minority. ;)
I don't think you're in the minority....the G53 has been a successful model, from what I can tell. 17" laptops are great for desktop replacements, but something like the G74 is more than many road warriors would want to lug around.

I think the G53 is a really nice model. Since you own one, can you confirm: does it have a numlock key, or a calculator key (like the G74)?

Peregrine
04-18-2012, 07:16 PM
My G53SX is an A1 and has a dedicated
NM LCK/SCR LCK

The calc key is FN-ENTER (on numpad).

(omfg I hate reCaptcha....)

CPalm44
04-18-2012, 07:36 PM
NM LCK/SCR LCK

That is good to know.. I really do like the 17.3" screen, though. haha

BrodyBoy
04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
NM LCK/SCR LCK

Thanks for the reply....that IS good to know.

(I think you won't have to deal with CAPTCHAs anymore, once you have five posts.....)

CPalm44
04-18-2012, 07:41 PM

See, I didn't know that the G75 was coming out. Maybe I should wait a little longer just to see what it has to offer and if the G74 price goes down? Because right now, honestly, I can't even afford this laptop after having to fix my car recently.. but I want to get one anyway hahaha

Peregrine
04-18-2012, 08:47 PM
(I think you won't have to deal with CAPTCHAs anymore, once you have five posts.....)

O sweet!

There is also an updated G53 coming too, Cpalm (the G55).

Wish I would have found this forum sooner.
Got mine in November. I've never enjoyed a laptop more (and I've had a few).

CPalm44
04-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Will the G75 have a Num Lock key or is Asus going to stick with their calculator thing?

Aras
04-18-2012, 09:30 PM
See brody boy, I knew he didnt know about it. For almost the same price u will get 30% better performance... I wanted G74 as well, but i read in march that will be the knew on in April. Brody boy I was monitoring that forum for about one month and I have noticed that u are a expert here I have a question for you. Can you tell me your opinion about what diffrences are beetwen thic cards avaible in G75 - NVIDIAŸ GeForce GTX660M 2 GB GDDR5 Kepler and NVIDIAŸ GeForce GTX670M 3 GB GDDR5 Fermi?

CPalm44
04-19-2012, 01:58 AM
O sweet!

There is also an updated G53 coming too, Cpalm (the G55).

Wish I would have found this forum sooner.
Got mine in November. I've never enjoyed a laptop more (and I've had a few).

Do you know if the G55 will run the games im looking into playing will run well (high settings) on this laptop model(s)? For example, Star Wars The Old Republic (an MMO game), similar to World of Warcraft but supposedly has much higher system requirements.

CPalm44
04-19-2012, 02:05 AM
Will the G75 have a Num Lock key or is Asus going to stick with their calculator thing?

Never mind, I just read on another forum that it will.

CPalm44
04-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Anybody know if the G74 series' prices will drop when the G75 releases? And if so, how soon?

BrodyBoy
04-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Anybody know if the G74 series' prices will drop when the G75 releases? And if so, how soon?
It's a common misconception that a new model "replaces" the previous latest model in a given series, but that doesn't seem to be how Asus does it. The G73 continued to be sold alongside the G74 without much change in price, as far as I could tell. It's not like the G74 is apt to be discontinued or moved to the clearance shelves when the G75 comes out. It will eventually, of course, but no reason to expect it soon.

(But if anybody claims to know a specific, accurate answer to your question, they're pulling it outta their arse! Asus doesn't announce such things.....)

CPalm44
04-19-2012, 07:34 PM
It's a common misconception that a new model "replaces" the previous latest model in a given series, but that doesn't seem to be how Asus does it. The G73 continued to be sold alongside the G74 without much change in price, as far as I could tell. It's not like the G74 is apt to be discontinued or moved to the clearance shelves when the G75 comes out. It will eventually, of course, but no reason to expect it soon.

(But if anybody claims to know a specific, accurate answer to your question, they're pulling it outta their arse! Asus doesn't announce such things.....)

Ohhh okay. I guess that explains why the new models are not that much more expensive than the current models. Decisions, decisions...

CPalm44
04-19-2012, 11:20 PM

So I was just thinking about this.. I've played WoW before on other people's computers and I never had to use the Num Lok key to run or whatever. Isnt it just the q, w, e, a, s, d keys to move around? I'm just a little confused. I tried to read around before I asked about this so I didnt sound an idiot. Haha But i didnt find anything of course.

BrodyBoy
04-20-2012, 12:01 AM
I have no idea how they have implemented that ridiculous calculator key.....I can't even get a scancode from it. It's almost like a direct line to the BIOS or something....you can't disable it, you can't remap it...and to make matters worse, if you do anything where you tend to accidentally hit it occasionally, multiple hits just keep opening multiple iterations of the freaking calculator! Crazy...

That said, it IS possible to remap some other key as a NUMLOCK. I have experimented a bit using the ~` key, but I suppose any other mappable, expendable key would work. With Numlock OFF, the numpad functioned as you'd expect it to (directional keys, pg/dn, home, etc.), and with Numlock ON, it was just the numeric keypad.

I don't play any of those games that apparently require a working NUMLOCK. For those of you who need those keys to work that way, is it important to be able to toggle Numlock ON & OFF? Or is leaving it OFF all the time a workable solution?

CPalm44
04-20-2012, 12:15 AM
I have no idea how they have implemented that ridiculous calculator key.....I can't even get a scancode from it. It's almost like a direct line to the BIOS or something....you can't disable it, you can't remap it...and to make matters worse, if you do anything where you tend to accidentally hit it occasionally, multiple hits just keep opening multiple iterations of the freaking calculator! Crazy...

That said, it IS possible to remap some other key as a NUMLOCK. I have experimented a bit using the ~` key, but I suppose any other mappable, expendable key would work. With Numlock OFF, the numpad functioned as you'd expect it to (directional keys, pg/dn, home, etc.), and with Numlock ON, it was just the numeric keypad.

I don't play any of those games that apparently require a working NUMLOCK. For those of you who need those keys to work that way, is it important to be able to toggle Numlock ON & OFF? Or is leaving it OFF all the time a workable solution?

I appreciate all the help Brody! Hopefully someone who plays these games can clear this up.

CPalm44
04-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Alright I have narrowed it down to the G53SX-AH71 or the G55. I'm leaning more towards the G53, it's listed on Amazon for $1,199.99 right now. Thoughts?

BrodyBoy
04-21-2012, 02:33 AM
Alright I have narrowed it down to the G53SX-AH71 or the G55. I'm leaning more towards the G53, it's listed on Amazon for $1,199.99 right now. Thoughts?
Order it. Try it for 30 days. If you like it, keep it. If not, return it. :)

Zygomorphic
04-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Is the price on the G55 listed, if so, check it out. It will have better graphics, better processor, better RAM--and better price :). If the price is significantly higher, get the G53SX. Actually, I have found that a lot of stores are not carrying the G53 for some reason. At least, newegg isn't, and Microcenter isn't. The G53SX is a great computer, it runs really really fast, and it doesn't seem to have the issues that are plaguing the G74. Just remember, the G53SX is a bear to upgrade, it involves disassembling the whole computer. I have seen in the manual for the G55 that it is supposed to be really easy to upgrade, just remove the back and go.

sHioVy
04-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Guys i really need help on choosing ASUS Gaming notebooks that has 2g ram, 1g vid card, One that can hold bountyhounds game... Hope you can reply and help me with this Oh before I forgot need to have the cheaper one.... thnx

CPalm44
04-21-2012, 07:19 PM
I bought the G53SX-AH71 guys. It should be here on Tuesday (I got free 2 day shipping :D). I'll post on here how it goes when it gets here. I cant wait! Thanks for all of the help everybody!!!

BrodyBoy
04-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Guys i really need help on choosing ASUS Gaming notebooks that has 2g ram, 1g vid card, One that can hold bountyhounds game... Hope you can reply and help me with this Oh before I forgot need to have the cheaper one.... thnx
Check out the base-level models of the G74 (17") or the G53 (15") at Best buy. Pretty much any model you buy these days will have more than 2Gb RAM....that's barely adequate for Windows 7 anymore. 6-8Gb is pretty typical on entry-level machines now.

DeepFreeze2
04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Watching this thread for updates......