PDA

View Full Version : g73jh-rbbx05 temporary freeze while gaming

janmike916
04-19-2012, 02:06 AM
I got the laptop from someone on craigslist. I fresh installed all the drivers and windows 7 ultimate(legit copy).

Specs:
i7 720qm 1.6-2.8 turbo
12gb ddr3 1333
intel 320 SSD 40gb for OS/drivers
Sandisk ultra 120gb for games
ATI mobility hd5870m 1gb ddr5
intel 6230 BT/Wifi combo(fully updated driver)

Catalyst 12.3 with Chastity OD2 vbios.
213 bios

The temps are on normal range and even on full load using furmark benchmark. its never goes more than 91 deg. The problem starts when i play games.It will randomly freeze for atleast 5-10 seconds and go back to normal. Tried everything to fix it, from installing older catalyst drivers from 10.3 to latest, replacing wifi mini card to an intel card, installing latest realtek drivers, latest ATK package and I didnt install any ASUS utilities like P4G etc. I dont have any GSOD problem,it will just temporary freeze when playing games. Hope you guys can help me with my problem. Thanks in advance.

dstrakele
04-19-2012, 04:29 AM
1) What does DPC Latency Checker show you?

2) What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software have you installed to this system?

3) Do the Errors or Warnings in the Windows System and Application Event Logs point to a troubleshooting direction?

4) Got the latest firmware on those SSD's?

5) Does the freezing behavior occur when running stress tests like Primr95, or only on a specific game or games?

6) Have you observed CPU throttling? Have you tried ThrottleStop?

janmike916
04-19-2012, 07:21 AM

2) What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software have you installed to this system?

3) Do the Errors or Warnings in the Windows System and Application Event Logs point to a troubleshooting direction?

5) Does the freezing behavior occur when running stress tests like Primr95, or only on a specific game or games?

Thank you for the quick responce.

I havent tried the DPC latency but ill definitely try that when i get home. I didnt install antivirus or any remote access software. As for firewall and anti malware, I have the build in firewall and malware detector from windows 7. SSD firmware for both intel and Sandisk are up to date. I tried installing os and games in 2 HDD to rule out possible HDD problem, Momentus XT 500gb with SD28 firmware update and regular hitachi 7200rpm 320gb HDD that came with the unit but its still freezes while i play games. I played SC2 and COD-MW3 and they both freeze when i play and go back to normal after a few seconds. As for stress test, I did memtest86 to test RAM, prime95, furmark and 3dmark but it didnt show any error. For throttlestop i tried changing the c-state to c1 following a suggestion from a different forum. Any suggestion is very welcome. Hope to hear from you guys.

perithimus
04-19-2012, 08:06 AM
try downloading this program. Its crystal disk info. disable the AAM/APM control under advanced features. It worked for me.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

BrodyBoy
04-19-2012, 08:25 AM
try downloading this program. Its crystal disk info. disable the AAM/APM control under advanced features. It worked for me.

Aren't those disabled on SSDs by default?

janmike916
04-19-2012, 08:57 AM

I tried the DPC latency checker and im having spikes in latency upto 7k, it happens atleast every 15mins, does these have something to do with the temporary freeze? As for thrittlestop, what do you recommend?

janmike916
04-19-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded and ran the test, it didnt show any error and temp never reach 30 deg.

dstrakele
04-19-2012, 06:55 PM
I did memtest86 to test RAM, prime95, furmark and 3dmark but it didnt show any error.

The purpose of running stress tests like Prime95, Furmark, and 3DMark are to determine if you reproduce the freeze issue while stressing your system outside of the 2 games where you report the issue. If you don't, the issue is probably specific to these 2 games and you'll want to research if you have them configured properly and have applied necessary updates, patches, etc. You could also post your issue in the game's forum.

The DPC Latency spikes you report occurring every 15 minutes are also a concern.

janmike916
04-20-2012, 03:33 AM
The purpose of running stress tests like Prime95, Furmark, and 3DMark are to determine if you reproduce the freeze issue while stressing your system outside of the 2 games where you report the issue. If you don't, the issue is probably specific to these 2 games and you'll want to research if you have them configured properly and have applied necessary updates, patches, etc. You could also post your issue in the game's forum.

The DPC Latency spikes you report occurring every 15 minutes are also a concern.

I installed my old PC games to rule out possible specific game problem. I installed crysis 2, grid, the witcher and assassins creed 1, the freeze is still there but it doesnt occur while i stress test the system. Im running out of options..any suggestion is much appreciated.

dstrakele
04-20-2012, 07:15 AM
1) You've made some progress, and that's good! We know the issue occurs on multiple games, but not on running stress tests. Perhaps it may involve the CPU dropping into a lower power mode C-State, as discussed in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8943-G73-Freezing-Crashing-Issue-WORKAROUND-FOUND.

The G73JH model does appear to be susceptible to this issue. However, the issues reported are more typically displayed on systems that are NOT running games, but in less stressful activities such as browsing, running YouTube videos, or resuming from sleep/hibernation.

2) DPC Latency has not been eliminated as a cause. In fact, I suspect it is the MOST LIKELY cause. You do report some high latency spikes occuring every 15 minutes. This will involve more troubleshooting on your part - i.e. disabling drivers in Device Manager to see if the latency is removed - as discussed in http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml.

3) I wouldn't overlook examination of Error and Warning Events in the Windows System and Application Event Logs. This can be time consuming, and requires a certain tenacity that you ARE going to leave no stone unturned to resolve the issue. If you need help interpreting the events, report the a) EventID, b) Source, and exact text of the Description.

janmike916
04-25-2012, 04:29 AM
Hello guys..thank you very much for all your responce..a buddy of mine who worked for geek squad help me out with my problem..he figured out that i have a faulty gpu card..we decided to try upgrading the gpu with a dell 6970m from his broken dell m17x aswell swapping the cpu with a 920xm..never been happier..ill post some benchmarking scores as soon as were done with all the troubleshooting..