PDA

View Full Version : Shocking bad cpu win 7 performance score of 4.7. WTF!!!!

imbloodyskintagain
04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Now,
This just isnt right, is it? Seems low to me?
HD gets 5.9 and all other items get 7.2, but 4.7 for the cpu (2630qm) is just shocking.

Now, it does bounce between 798 to 1995 during test, showing only 1 core, 2 threads info in HWM Blackbox (CORE 2-4 ARE BLANK). Same info shows in CPU-Z.

Note, BD-PROC is disabled in bois.

Zygomorphic
04-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Make sure that you are running the high-performance profile, as well as plugged in to the wall. I have heard that on battery the system will down-clock significantly. Also, the 798->1995 MHz indicates that the computer is not running TurboMode. Make sure that any relevant settings in the BIOS are enabled.

imbloodyskintagain
04-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Make sure that you are running the high-performance profile, as well as plugged in to the wall. I have heard that on battery the system will down-clock significantly. Also, the 798->1995 MHz indicates that the computer is not running TurboMode. Make sure that any relevant settings in the BIOS are enabled.

Hi, (Thanks for the advice)
Just set up high performance mode and ran test again, same result?

Not sure how or were I would have to look or what to alter in the Bios to set or check turbo mode is on or off?

Laptop runs on mains power all the time.

Shouldnt cpuz show 4 cores and 8 threads instead of 1 core and 2 threads like it is now?

Also,
Windows detailed System info shows 1 core and 2 threads??

zsld0423
04-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Have you messed with the Advanced Options in the Boot tab of MSConfig? (I had a similar issue to the one you're having)

xeromist
04-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Some cores can be put to sleep when they are not needed and the CPU ratio drops as well. This makes it possible to have a powerful CPU in a device which can run on battery for any reasonable amount of time. Honestly WEI is a *terrible* measure of performance so take everything it tells you with a grain of salt. Beyond being a general guideline for things you might want to examine more closely with better tools it is completely worthless.

imbloodyskintagain
04-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Have you messed with the Advanced Options in the Boot tab of MSConfig? (I had a similar issue to the one you're having)

I did have a mess around with it but was to stop duel boot setup. Is there something I can check in it to see if something is wrong?

zsld0423
04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
I had an issue with mine that I'd accidentally set the wrong number of processors to 4 instead of 8. I'll attach a screenshot of what it looks like, though I have to remote to my Asus at home from my dinky netbook so excuse the poor quality :P

imbloodyskintagain
04-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the picture.
Well,
Something is definately wrong mate as All I get is 1 processor and thats it, doesnt show more then 1 in the dropdown box, were as we can see yours shows 8?

zsld0423
04-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Yep, mine can have 8 maximum. The 1st thing I'd suggest is to back up your data, and do a re-install of Windows and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't the processor or motherboard could be bad (hopefully not that). If you open up Task Manager, and go to the Performance Tab. In the top-right area underneath CPU History, how many windows are there? Here's a screenshot of mine, so you know what to look for. If it's showing you only 1 processor in msconfig, there should be 1 window instead of the 8 I have.

BrodyBoy
04-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Well,
Something is definately wrong mate as All I get is 1 processor and thats it, doesnt show more then 1 in the dropdown box, were as we can see yours shows 8?
No, that doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong.....that's what that window usually looks like by default. I.e., "Number of processor" is not checked, and the number "1" is greyed out in the drop-down box.

imbloodyskintagain
04-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Well guys and girls?
It seems something to do with the fact I WAS running duel boot(win 7 on main drive + win 7 on 2nd drive) which I setup initially so could setup a fresh install of win 7 before deleting the first asus installed win 7 from new.
I managed to get rid of it, but after going into msconfig and changing setting in the option,
"selective startup"-
load system services + load startup items were both enabled.

So,
I unselected that and selected the "Normal startup-load all device drivers and services" restarted computer and fixed, all cores and processors now showing and cpu score back up to what it should be.
BUT?????
The bloody duel boot screen at startup is back?? even though the first asus win 7 is deleted and drive been formatted???

Now,
Went back into msconfig and its set itself back to Selective startup again.

So,
Im non the wiser, but cpu now working as it should.

Totally baffled and now have to figureout how to stop the duel boot screen again at startup???

So,
Finally gonna restart and see if cpu problem still fixed or not, here goes..........

imbloodyskintagain
04-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Well,
After restart, cpu still posting 4 core s and 8 threads.
Now just need to put up with the duel win 7 boot option popping up at inital laptop startup everytime, till can figureout why its doing it again and how to stop it doing it????

Thanks for all your advice peeps.:)

dstrakele
04-19-2012, 09:59 PM
http://m.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/modifying-the-windows-7-boot-loader-with-the-boot-configuration-data-editor-tool/1709 will show you how to remove the unwanted dual boot option with bcdedit.

imbloodyskintagain
04-19-2012, 10:25 PM
http://m.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/modifying-the-windows-7-boot-loader-with-the-boot-configuration-data-editor-tool/1709 will show you how to remove the unwanted dual boot option with bcdedit.

Thankyou for that, checked i out and to be honest it scares the crap out of me doin this stuff.
Now,
I did try giving it a go, but couldnt get the last bit to work (command promp-bcdedit/delete{boot loader identifier}, when i tried putting in the BLI from my pc it said "an unknown command was specified"

zsld0423
04-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Since you said you installed Windows 7 on a separate drive, I'm assuming you have a Windows 7 disc? Easiest way I've found to solve the unwanted boot options is to follow these steps. Used this to restore my MBR back to original Win 7 after having different Linux distros on there and it sticking to the Grub Bootloader

1. Put in your Win7 disc and boot from it
2. When the Win7 splash comes up, choose the Repair Your Computer option
3. There should be an area for Recovery, or something like that. Where you have multiple options for what to do, like open a command prompt, fix startup errors, do a recovery, etc.
4. Open up command prompt, and type this command
bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr
That *should* fix the multiple options for bootup, and restore it to your default Windows Installation on the C drive

imbloodyskintagain
04-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Since you said you installed Windows 7 on a separate drive, I'm assuming you have a Windows 7 disc? Easiest way I've found to solve the unwanted boot options is to follow these steps. Used this to restore my MBR back to original Win 7 after having different Linux distros on there and it sticking to the Grub Bootloader

1. Put in your Win7 disc and boot from it
2. When the Win7 splash comes up, choose the Repair Your Computer option
3. There should be an area for Recovery, or something like that. Where you have multiple options for what to do, like open a command prompt, fix startup errors, do a recovery, etc.
4. Open up command prompt, and type this command
bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr
That *should* fix the multiple options for bootup, and restore it to your default Windows Installation on the C drive

Thanks for that great info :D

Have fixed it using a program called EasyBCD 2.1.2.

I opened above program, went to the Edit boot Menu option and deleted the First asus win 7 option, then selected the "Skip the boot menu" option below in the "Time out options" and saved the setting. restarted laptop and worked :)

Otherwise your option would of done the trick and again I thankyou for that :)

zsld0423
04-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Sure thing :D Glad you've got your system working again! It took me a complete wipe of my computer and re-installation of Win7 to fix what you did in like 10 minutes because of that MSConfig haha, because I didn't think to look there

imbloodyskintagain
04-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Yer,
Really am greatful for the help, now gotta do it righ tnext time, which will be nextweek as just ordered a new munskin 240gb ssd drive as at 178GBP delivered and it gets great reviews I couldnt resist, lets hope the fresh win 7 install finally stops my screen freezes and purple screen issues and have also loaded older nvidia driver as latest one was supposed to be part of the problem.

Thanks again for all your help and info peeps :)