PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74sx Freezing

Kjetil95
04-21-2012, 02:10 PM
In the past two months i have had problems with freezing. The freezing only happens during gaming, such as skyrim and BF3. I have never seen it happen on the desktop. Its very hard to troubleshoot because it happens very rarely. The whole computer just freezes, no BSOD. I have to hard reset my computer. I ran memtest86 with no errors. I have clean installed my nvidia drivers to 301.24 beta drivers.

Sorry for my bad english, I am norwegian

dstrakele
04-21-2012, 02:18 PM
What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software have you installed to your G74SX?

Kjetil95
04-21-2012, 02:22 PM
What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software have you installed to your G74SX?

Currently I dont have any antivirus running, but i have done a system scan, and it found no viruses.

Kjetil95
04-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Sorry for double post, but now it just froze watching a yotube video, which have never happen before. Im pretty sure that it is the video card that is causing the problem. In my event viewer there is error saying video hardware error. I think the solution is to send it for RMA. The problem is that have upgraded my harddrive to an SSD, should i remove it before i send it to RMA?

dstrakele
04-21-2012, 02:37 PM
The kernel mode drivers of Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access Software can sometimes conflict with other drivers and cause system lockups.

What WiFi card do you have in your G74SX?

I think you should troubleshoot further before you RMA.

fuzon1337
04-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi

How long is it since you bought this notebook?
What are the temps on the GPU when it freezes?

You could install CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the register check, and see if that helps.
(if you install ccleaner, uncheck for google toolbar (if it asks for installing that too))

Which AV/MW programs do you have ?

Kjetil95
04-21-2012, 02:43 PM
The kernel mode drivers of Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access Software can sometimes conflict with other drivers and cause system lockups.

What WiFi card do you have in your G74SX?

I think you should troubleshoot further before you RMA.

I upgraded my WIFI card to intel centrino 6200. As i said in my last post, im not running any antivirus programs

Kjetil95
04-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Hi

How long is it since you bought this notebook?
What are the temps on the GPU when it freezes?

You could install CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the register check, and see if that helps.
(if you install ccleaner, uncheck for google toolbar (if it asks for installing that too))

Which AV/MW programs do you have ?

I bought this computer in october last year. it has been working great until this month. My temps on the gpu is around 30c idle and max 62c when gaming BF3

I also ran ccleaner with no result

What do you mean by AV/MW programs?

By the way, when my computer freezes, my screen becomes disorted, purple pixels all over the screen

dstrakele
04-21-2012, 02:51 PM
What is the a) EventID, b) Source, and c) exact text of the Description in the video hardware error you received?

Are there any other Error or Warning Events in the System or Application Event logs?

fuzon1337
04-21-2012, 02:56 PM
AV / MW = Antivirus / Malware programs

When you ran CCleaner did you run the register check until it didn't find any issues? or did you just run it once?

You get purple pixels all over the screen and you haven't had this issue before, try to install and older driver 285.xx and see if that helps ?

Also check what @dstrakele ask about.

dstrakele
04-21-2012, 03:00 PM
You definitely want to do a clean install of NVIDIA 285.62 WHQL from Safe Mode before you consider an RMA.

Kjetil95
04-21-2012, 03:01 PM
What is the a) EventID, b) Source, and c) exact text of the Description in the video hardware error you received?

Are there any other Error or Warning Events in the System or Application Event logs?

The event ID is: 117
Caused by: Nvlddmkm.sys
A problem with your video hardware caused windows from working properly.

No other errors so far.
My windows version is norwegian so im trying to translate correctly

Kjetil95
04-21-2012, 03:09 PM
AV / MW = Antivirus / Malware programs

When you ran CCleaner did you run the register check until it didn't find any issues? or did you just run it once?

You get purple pixels all over the screen and you haven't had this issue before, try to install and older driver 285.xx and see if that helps ?

Also check what @dstrakele ask about.

I ran ccleaner until there were no issues left. I clean installed windows last week, so my registery is clean. The purple pixles only happens when im watching video content. There was also a loud noise coming from the speakers. When i game it just freezes

I will try the 285 drivers

Edit: I have installed the 285.62 driver and so far so good, its hard to create the problem. But since it always happens when i am watching a video or gaming, I am 100% sure that it is something worng with the video card itself or driver problem.

Mirovingin
04-21-2012, 04:26 PM
I have the same problem with my laptop. Antivirus - Avira Free. Random freezing in BF3. I bought this laptop 2 weeks ago.

dstrakele
04-21-2012, 04:47 PM
If you use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before you installed Avira Antivirus, does it resolve your system lockup issue?

Kjetil95
04-21-2012, 05:33 PM
I just ran furmark extreme burn in for 1 hour without crash or freeze. So the GPU seems to be stable at the moment (max temp was 60c), if there was a hardware problem shouldnt it freeze then? There has not been a freeze since I downgraded my driver. But the newer drivers have better performance. I think it is strange that nobody else is having the same problem if this is a driver problem.

dstrakele
04-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Check out the Official Feedback thread for the 301.24 BETA driver on the NVIDIA Forum. If you continue to experience no lockups with 285.62 WHQL, you should consider posting your issue to that thread.

BETA drivers may offer greater performance, but you are also more likely to encounter bugs that may blow up your system.

I have read of users who report issues when running games that do NOT occur during stress tests. So, while your results are good news, you're not out of the woods yet...

At least you know there is no overheating issue with your laptop!

If you still have not locked up after a week of playing games, you could try an upgrade to 295.73 WHQL.

Kjetil95
04-21-2012, 07:06 PM
I read at the nvidia forums that many had crashes when wathing youtube videos with the latest driver (screen turned purple) this is 100% driver realted. I have owned this computer for a half year now and the freezing started recently, so for me it seems to be driver related. I was almost to send my notebook for RMA. So thank you for answering me! I see that you have the g74sx, which driver version are you using?

fuzon1337
04-21-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm glad that you found out the latest beta version have some bugs that did make your notebook unstaible, and fixed it :)

You could download the latest certified and optimized driver from Asus for GTX 460/560M:

Nvidia has fixed the bug that prevented our QC team from officiating their drivers on our G and VX series laptops. Our product page download links will be updated soon with Forceware 296.16 soon :)

As usual we recommend not downloading from 3rd party driver sites as you'll never know if it has hidden malware.

Download link:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/VGA/nVidia/VGA_nVidia_Win7_64_Z817129616.zip

If you get issues with that driver also, then you can always turn back to the 285.62 WHQL until nVidia release a new graphic driver :)

dstrakele
04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
I read at the nvidia forums that many had crashes when wathing youtube videos with the latest driver (screen turned purple) this is 100% driver realted. I have owned this computer for a half year now and the freezing started recently, so for me it seems to be driver related. I was almost to send my notebook for RMA. So thank you for answering me! I see that you have the g74sx, which driver version are you using?

Yeah - you want to keep an RMA as the last possible option. We don't need another "RMA Horror Story" to read... ;>{)>

I'd think twice about installing the ASUS-Certified NVIDIA 296.16 driver. The "pink screen" issue has been reported for both 296.10 and 301.24. I find it hard to believe it was resolved in 296.16 and then re-introduced in 301.24 (although such a thing IS possible). Personally, I suspect ASUS just failed to encounter the issue in their Q/A Testing of 296.16.

I currently run 295.73 and I'm stickin' with it.

hung8811
04-22-2012, 06:06 AM
dude !! i have the same problem too ! damn i wondering what's going on... :( i bought my G53SW since last year july untill last few day i got this problem too... i tried recovery window and install nvidia driver "296.10-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql" at first i got everything work fine but after 2 days i got the problem again... someone can help me ? when i open any games it only work fine for few second then it get freeze... sigh what to do ?

mrcyco
05-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Ok I'm getting buzzing sound from the speakers, the computer locks up completely and I have to hard restart.

I get no errors just stops (its happening a lot (between 1~5 times a day)) last time was today running the first dungeon siege a game thats not really that demanding . It mostly happens in Batman AC (when going up the wonder tower).

I'm running Microsoft essentials for my AV/MW, my graphic driver is 296.16 but was happening on 296.10.

I have the G74SX, 16GB Ram, 560m 3GB, i7 2670, Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter (latest driver). this is the second Asus G74SX I've had the first went back as the left speaker was faulty. originally purchased in October.

I've tried to answer all the common question in the thread, is their anything else you need .

Oh other current issue is the A, 3 and the left arrow key doesn't work if you hit them on the top half. Making my WASD into a WSD. I have a gaming laptop that doesn't like to turn left! (It makes me very ngry).

chrsplmr
05-20-2012, 05:58 PM
This happens 'only' when 'gaming or watching a video' ? As in .. online gaming and online streaming video ?

This was an early issue with CH IV E and CH V F ... it was the NIC driver.
Best of Luck.c.

E36TitanM3
05-23-2012, 03:28 AM
I have this problem too roughly 2-3 times a month. Just happened 5 minutes ago after an hour on youtube. ASUS just released a new driver 301.42. I am going to upgrade and see how it works out.

G74SX-AH71

TheBlackShogun
07-04-2012, 01:40 AM
I just got it for the first time too. Funny, I fix one problem and another one pops up. I already have the 301.42 Nvidia driver. And it just happened after I shut down Skyrim after a 3 hour session.

TorturedBIscuit
07-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Mine did this 2 times as well. Strangely I was watching youtube videos both times. Not sure about what causes it.

An-0_0-bis
07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Interesting reading this - I only recently bought myself a g74sx, and after only putting on an anti-virus (AVG) and bf3, along with some benchmark programs & chrome, the laptop too starts freezing up when I'm web browsing. I haven't been gaming much so haven't had it freeze while gaming yet. I updated my driver to the latest GTX560m driver by Nvidia, and my benchmark performance went up heaps, but am concerned this might infact be the issue as to why it's freezing. When it freezes during a YouTube session, I can't even ctrl+alt+del to get to task manager, it just completely locks up the laptop, but the mouse still moves on the screen. I'm unsure as to whether this is the same freezing that others are experiencing, but the system never recovers and I have to reboot. Happens when using both Chrome and iExplorer.

dstrakele
07-11-2012, 07:17 PM
1) What version WiFi driver are you running?

2) What version video driver are you running? Do you observe any video corruption (pink screen, tearing, stuttering) prior to the lockup?

illusion
07-13-2012, 02:11 AM
I have the Similar Problem during playing game. Such as Maxpaine 3, Skyrim, batman, seems it random happens on every latest games.
But it never happens on the desktop. latest whql driver 301.42 from the nvidia website.

dstrakele
07-13-2012, 04:13 AM
What version WiFi driver are you running?

illusion
07-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter 9.2.1.470

Dose it matter ??

dstrakele
07-13-2012, 12:12 PM
The Atheros driver versions prior to 9.2.1.432 had bad DPC Latency, causing problems on G74SX systems.

illusion
07-14-2012, 06:30 AM
I see. But the Nivdia driver's no response problem (freezing problem) is still there....

Really need to be solved.....

this problem is killing me.....

dstrakele
07-14-2012, 10:58 PM
You could try the following:

1) Use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time when it was stable.

2) Use Windows Backup & Restore to restore the last stable Windows System Image you backed up.

3) Boot into Safe Mode and UNinstall your current NVIDIA driver from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", REBOOT into Safe Mode and use Driver Sweeper to uninstall any NVIDIA driver remnants (if they exist), and then run CCleaner to clean the registry. REBOOT into Safe Mode to install the recent NVIDIA 304.79 BETA (or later) driver.

4) Try selectively UNinstalling some of the 3rd Party programs you've added to your system. The idea here is that one of them may be conflicting with another program on your system, leading to a system lockup.

5) Launch MSCONFIG.EXE, select the "Startup" tab and UNcheck those applications and processes that you DON'T need at startup.

6) Do an F9 ASUS Facory Recovery to return your system to an "out-of-the-box" state, or better yet, perform a clean Windows 7 installation.

7) Lie down on the floor in a fetal position and let yourself pass on to the Nightosphere like a good little adventurer...then wait in line to see Hunson Abadeer (but watch out for the Sentient Blood Mist).

BrodyCanuck
07-25-2012, 06:11 AM
My computer freezes during games.

I have an ASUS G74SX-DH73-3D. Intel Core I7 - 2670QM, 2.2GHz. Memory 12GB. HDD 750GB + 750GB, OS WIN7 Premium. Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB(driver version 301.42). I have had the computer since a few days before Christmas.

When playing a game the screen will freeze, and the speakers will make a EGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH noise non stop. Hard to explain the noise, its very annoying though. I found it weird that if it freezes, I can put the laptop in sleep mode, and then take it out of sleep mode... it takes me to the desktop, where I can bring up the windows task manager, close the Not Responding game, and then the computer will sometimes start the game again if I click it, and sometimes it wont.

I find the computer sometimes won't load programs either. Like if I click on Diablo 3(example), it will sometimes do nothing, or sometimes it will bring up the icon to play, then it brings up the game icon and just won't respond after that. Also, sometimes the computer won't even shut down properly, when I click to shut the computer down, it will go to the shut down screen, and it could sit there for hours without actually shutting down. Its very weird....it just doesn't want to follow through with what I tell it to do.

A lot of these issues leave me with the only option to shut my computer off manually by holding the power button, which I don't like to do, and then having to restart it. I haven't been having these issues the whole time I've had the computer, I've only been having them for about the last 4 months.

I've been wanting to call Asus and send it in to get it fixed, since its still under warranty....but I work out of town for months at a time, and I don't want to send it in, then have to leave for work without it... :confused::confused:

DrBeltway
07-25-2012, 11:41 PM
There is a new NVidia beta driver v304.79 that seems to be pretty stable, might want to try it. DStrakele's suggestion about booting to Safe Mode to install/uninstall helps to ensure no conflicts:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy
)

Also, I remember someone mentioning that pressing the eject button on the DVD drive sometimes causes these 'working' slowdowns or semi-lockups (with the mouse still functioning, etc.) to clear up. In my experience, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Another option I recently came across is monitoring system latency using a program called "DPC Latency Checker" located at:

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml (http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
)

The program shows a real-time system latency graph and displays suggestions below it, such as using Device Manager to disable/enable certain devices "such as network and W-LAN adapters, internal sound devices, USB host controllers, etc."

The Fresco USB 3.0 and Realtek LAN and Atheros WiFi devices/drivers seem to have a bad reputation, so they might be good candidates to try disabling and checking for improved latency if they're not in use.