PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74SX-RH71?

Mourne
04-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Hey everyone. I am new to the forums and have been gaming on an Acer Aspire 8930g for a few years now and was looking into the G74sx series. I've come across a few different ones on Amazon but the specs aren't listed in absolute 100% detail. The first question I had was about the i7 2670 2.2 GHz. I noticed when comparing a Toshiba Qosmio that it had the exact same processor but it was boosted to 3.1 GHz with Turbo Boost technology. Given that the Asus model I was looking at blew the Toshiba out of the water I would assume the i7 is boosted in the same way? Anyhow, my second question is which model would be the best since on Amazon the specs all look relatively the same. I was leaning towards the G74sx-RH71 or AH71 since I found the best deals on those two. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BrodyBoy
04-21-2012, 07:46 PM
There's no "best" model of the G74...they are all just different configurations of the same basic machine, so it's a matter of choosing which options you want. I would recommend that you go with a FULL HD, 3Gb VRAM machine, as that display panel is simply much better than the HD+ option.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of deciding what kind of optical drive you need, how much RAM, HDD configurations, etc. Aside from the GPU/display configuration, most of these other options are pretty easy to upgrade, so don't let something like the RAM or HDD configuration be a deal-breaker in a model you otherwise like.

Mourne
04-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the advice. In regards to the processor, do you know if the G74SXS has Turbo Boost?

BrodyBoy
04-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the advice. In regards to the processor, do you know if the G74SXS has Turbo Boost?
These Intel processors have it built-in, and it works automatically. The function is not user-adjustable.