PDA

View Full Version : Question about G53SX

MinhMMK
04-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase a new laptop in a couple of days. My final choices came up to be the G53 series. I did quite a little bit of research and found out that the G53SX uses the 128-bit version of GT560M, which according to some review, is not as powerful as the original 460M.

I was not lucky and could not find the G53SW, so my only two choice are either the G53JW or the G53SX.

So which model of G53 should i pick ? I hope you guys could help me with this issue :) i have to pick one of them in a couple of days :).

fuzon1337
04-21-2012, 07:22 PM
I would wait to buy the G53 now, since 23. april Intel will release their new third gen cpu's and then Asus will either release their new g55/g75 the same day or very soon :)

MinhMMK
04-21-2012, 09:14 PM
I have to grab my laptop before May 8 :). Cause my previous one's totally broken. The price is also a problem which i have to consider. Since i could only afford around 1300$, and i have to have one before May 8. :)

fuzon1337
04-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Hmm that's not good =/

But why don't you get the G74sx? is that too pricey ?
*(you don't have to buy the most pricey one, it's easy to upgrade these beasts with SSD, RAM and wifi) :)

**(not so easy to upgrade it in the G53 series since you have to remove the KB to access the screws, if I'm not wrong, before you can open the back panel on them. But once it's open it's easy to upgrade) ;) :)

MinhMMK
04-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah the price from Amazon is 1449$. A little bit over my budget :D. I'm in a really hard situation right here :).

fuzon1337
04-21-2012, 09:40 PM
I can see that you're in a hard situation here.

One issue that you can get with the G53 series is the charging. Many in this forum have reported that the pin inside the notebook (on the MB) comes easly off and then you'll have to RMA it, and you'll have to send it to a repair center so they can fix it. I don't say that this is a common issue on these but many have reported about this issue.

Also I would have gone with the G53SX since it got the 2. gen cpu with more features then the 1. gen (g53sw). If you're not planning to play heavy games on it I think the 128-bit GPU should work just fine.

But if you can wait untill monday, and see what happends then, I think that would be the best.

Also these are my thoughts, so it's up to you if you want to listen to them or not ;)

MinhMMK
04-21-2012, 09:48 PM
I will try to be patient a little bit :D. But if nothing changes, i will have to grab one at the end of next week :).

Thank you so much :). I will try to see if i could push myself a little bit and afford the G74SX if i have to.

MinhMMK
04-21-2012, 10:00 PM
I found the G74SX-BBK11 model on Best Buy with a around 1300$. It's affordable for me. But I'm not sure if best buy is a good place to buy laptop or not. :(

fuzon1337
04-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Hmm... what is the recommendation for that site? (if you know that)

perhaps others will now, I haven't bought anything from amazon or best buy since (so I can not say anything about them) I use other sites in norway to find what I'm looking for =/

EDIT: Ouch! I hope it's not this one (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+17.3%22+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/4775907.p?id=1218525518576&skuId=4775907&st=G74SX-BBK11 &cp=1&lp=19) you're looking at since that got 2GB vRAM = 128 bit GPU

MinhMMK
04-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Right, i realized that the best buy version uses the crippled 560M after i sent the message.

I looked through the Asus G74SX-NH71 from Newegg.com.

But i checked and found quite recent negative reviews that makes me a little bit worried. After May 8 i will be on the summer vacation and i could not do anything if something goes wrong with my laptop during those 2 months :( So i'm trying to find the most prestigious dealer :(.

So my final choices came down to the G74SX-AH71 from Amazon with 1449$ (kind out of my reach), the G53SX-AH71 also from Amazon (1199$, but like u said it likely has some problems with the charger =( ), and the G74SX-NH71 from Newegg (1379$, i could push myself a little bit, but i'm worried since i never purchase anything from newegg before)..

Please help :).

BrodyBoy
04-22-2012, 12:04 AM
The various configurations come & go a lot on Amazon, and the prices can fluctuate from week-to-week. If there's a certain model you're eyeing and they either don't have it or the price seems a little high, you can watch & wait and it'll often show up or hit a better price point.

In terms of retailer credentials, what you really want when purchasing an Asus is the best return policy you can find. If there's a hardware defect, you don't want to mess with repairs, RMA, etc...you just want to send it back. It's hard to beat Amazon, as they'll take any unit back in the first 30 days for any reason, or for no reason. (If you happen to have Prime shipping, they even cover the return shipping fee.) Serious problems that pop up after 30 days will be serviced by Asus anyway, so the retailer is pretty much out of the picture after their return window closes.

(Note: Units purchased through certain retailers...like BB, Staples, Costco....don't qualify for the Asus "extra" warranty features, whether that matters to you.)

MinhMMK
04-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Thank you guys for all the help :). I think i will try to go with Amazon. Since I'm in a rush so i have to go down with the 2-day shipping options. I don't really know how the shipping process in Newegg works. Any delay after May 8 might cause me serious trouble since I'm still in college, and by that time the school will kick me out. :(

The G74SX on Newegg seems like a good deal for me at the moment, but i'm uncertain about the quality of their products. Can anyone who had some previous experience with Newegg help me ? I will be grateful :) .

Zygomorphic
04-22-2012, 01:13 AM
I would recommend the G53SX, I have had one for several months and had no problems. It is a lot lighter than the G74, and actually portable. While I wouldn't recommend it to college students who want to use it in every class, it makes a great mobile workstation. I have had no problems with the power connector, though I am careful with my electronics. I have seen students carry the G74 around, and you almost need a rolling cart to move it. The G53, while large, is definitely portable, provided you buy a 17-inch laptop bag.

MinhMMK
04-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Could you tell me of the G53SX performance ?

I'm not that demanding, but i still want my laptop to be able to handle all recent game with decent settings :). I heard a lot of people complain about the poor performance of the 128-bit 560M :).

BrodyBoy
04-22-2012, 02:19 AM
The G74SX on Newegg seems like a good deal for me at the moment, but i'm uncertain about the quality of their products. Can anyone who had some previous experience with Newegg help me ? I will be grateful :) .
I've never bought a laptop from Newegg, but I've been buying components from them for years. They have a variety of shipping options, and accelerated order processing. (For an extra fee, of course....that part always seemed like a bit of a scam to me......) Their standard shipping can seem a little slow compared to many online retailers these days.

When I have had to return items, they have a little bit more cumbersome process than Amazon, but it's not bad. As I recall (it's been a few months since I had to return something there), I always had to pay return shipping, and defective items could only be returned for exchange....not just returned. Other returns (like when I once ordered the wrong model M/B) involved a restocking fee. You'd want to check the specific details of the return policy for laptops...they could well be different, and you don't want any surprises if things go wrong.

Just curious: So you're leaving school for summer break in May. But you'll still be somewhere, won't you?? Whoever you buy from should be able to ship it wherever you need them to.

I heard a lot of people complain about the poor performance of the 128-bit 560M :).
I haven't owned one of those myself, but honestly, the complaints I've read are from owners who unknowingly bought a config with the 128-bit GPU and then feel sort of cheated when they learn that they have a "gimped" version. (Not my term, but one commonly used in this context....) I haven't read complaints from owners about actual performance issues with that configuration....on the contrary, I've read reports from many owners who say it works just fine for them.

MinhMMK
04-22-2012, 02:59 AM
Thank you BrodyBoy :). I might grab the G53SX, since the G74SX is too big for me. I could not carry it around :) .

sunninho
04-22-2012, 08:13 AM
I have the G53SX (bought about 2.5 months ago) and am completely happy with it. I've played some games at either High or Maximum settings with no problems. The GPU is fine and most of us won't notice the 2% loss in bitrate performance, IMO. BTW, these machines are upgradable like a Mug! :D

Zygomorphic
04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
The 560M is very fast, faster than the 460M in everything save bandwidth. Unless you are doing stereoscopic 3D on a 1080 external monitor, the bandwidth should not be an issue. Not to mention, the 560M has better power-saving features, and so gives you better battery life. I can get 3.5 hours+ of light use out of my G53SX. How long (short) ago was it that such battery life was unheard of?

MinhMMK
04-22-2012, 09:32 PM
I was able to find the G53SW and just made my order. :) I will reach me in a couple of days. i hope everything's gonna be ok. If not i can return it in 7 days a grab myself a g53sx :d

fuzon1337
04-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Do you have a link to the product? :)

Zygomorphic
04-23-2012, 12:59 AM
As long as it has a Sandybridge CPU you should be OK. The Sandybridge CPUs are quite a bit faster than the older ones. You will get worse battery life, but since you are buying an ROG laptop, I assume you really don't need battery life. That's what the Transformer and Transformer Prime are for. Great tablets, from what I understand. The G53SW is exactly the same size as the G53SX, so size considerations are not an issue. Let us know what you think when you get it, and welcome to the ROG'in family, bro.

MinhMMK
04-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Do you have a link to the product? :)

I found it on Amazon, the last one left :). Now it's currently out of stock. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SGHJA0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I bought it from an Amazon supplier named UShopMall. The price is 1199$ :).
Just woke up this morning and they sent me an email confirming that my order's shipped. I hope everything will go well :).

@Zygomorphic : I will as soon as the laptop reaches me ;).

Zygomorphic
04-23-2012, 10:07 AM
They now have it back in stock, so other eager beavers can order:cool:. I saw the specs, definitely upgrade the RAM, 6 GB is awfully low. You can run just about any kind of RAM, provided that it is DDR3-1333 or better. While you're at it, put a Seagate hybrid drive in there. The 500 GB version is good, but the 750 GB (if you can afford it) is even better: it has a bigger cache, as well as being SATA (III) 6 Gb/s. Those Momentus XT drives are fast. They are a lot cheaper than comparable SSD's, and are nearly as fast as the slower ones. I have heard that Seagate is putting together a firmware that will allow write cache, which would be nothing short of incredible. Currently, the drives only cache reads, which accelerates Windows boot, but that's about it. A write cache, because the drive uses SLC NAND, is entirely believable, and would be absolutely awesome.

MinhMMK
04-23-2012, 04:39 PM
I will probably have to upgrade my RAM after receiving my G53SW :D. I really need you guys help for picking ram set. I saw a couple of videos of how to disassemble the G53 for HDD and RAM ungrade purpose. But it is possible for me just to replace the RAM from the bottom cover with a higher one ? I'm still a newbie and i dont want to risk opening the keyboard cover :D. I'm afraid i may mess up :D

sunninho
04-23-2012, 06:39 PM
I will probably have to upgrade my RAM after receiving my G53SW :D. I really need you guys help for picking ram set. I saw a couple of videos of how to disassemble the G53 for HDD and RAM ungrade purpose. But it is possible for me just to replace the RAM from the bottom cover with a higher one ? I'm still a newbie and i dont want to risk opening the keyboard cover :D. I'm afraid i may mess up :D

I'm running Corsair 8GB sticks from Amazon for about $109 per 16GB kit (about $55 per stick). They're currently out of stock, thus the $126 price, but you can "pre-order" them and it may take a couple of weeks to fulfill the order:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DI9PG8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I'm rocking 32GB with these sticks to run memory-hungry VMware and Adobe software!

Peregrine
04-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Installing RAM under the keyboard is SUPER easy. Easier then installing anywhere else.

MinhMMK
04-23-2012, 08:27 PM
haha i just found out that too :D.

So i will definitely upgrade the machine to 10GB ram first. I bought the 6GB version so my front ram slot will likely to be available :D.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-DDR3-Laptop-Memory-CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9/dp/B002YU83YO/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335212610&sr=1-23

I think im going to grab this. Will it be compatible ? :D

Edit: I also consider this one : http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-ValueRam-PC3-10600-KVR1333D3S9-4G/dp/B002XN3OL4/ref=sr_1_26?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335212998&sr=1-26

Which one between those two should i pick ? :D

sunninho
04-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Don't think you can go wrong with either Corsair or Kingston, based on lifetime warranties. Saving $5 a stick for Kingston isn't a bad thing.

MinhMMK
04-24-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm so excited xD. Hope that my laptop will not have to face any issue.

Zygomorphic
04-24-2012, 10:13 AM
It should be fine, ASUS is one of the leading vendors with regards to reliability. They are behind, depending on the reviewer, Toshiba alone. Toshiba, ASUS, and Apple/Sony are the leading vendors with regards to hardware reliability. Apple, as we all know, has the best customer support, but do they have a forum like this full of "asus geniuses" (fostert, brodyboy, dstrakele, etc.) who do the work for free?

I run cheap DDR3-1333 RAM in my G53SX, and I have had exactly zero problems with it. If you have to upgrade from less than 8 GB, I would advise that you either pull everything--@sunninho, please tell us how you did it--or simply fill the empty slots. I can guarantee that the 4th slot which is hidden is filled, though with the 2 GB or 4 GB stick I cannot say. If you are going to pull everything, go straight to 16 GB of DDR3-1333. I have read on other threads that the G74 (I would assume the G53, same platform) can handle up to 8 GB of 1600 MHz RAM. The performance improvement, I'm told is quite noticeable.

Unless I misunderstood fostert, 32 GB is supported, but only at 1333 speeds. If 16-32 GB of RAM is in your future, make sure that you buy 1333 RAM to save money.

Peregrine
04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Don't think you can go wrong with either Corsair or Kingston, based on lifetime warranties. Saving $5 a stick for Kingston isn't a bad thing.

I was going to say I only buy Crucial RAM from Crucial.com. Good prices, and lifetime warranty. I was not aware Kingston started a lifetime warranty program. Nice. I see Crucial made everyone else step up. (Crcial was certainly the first to offer lifetime warranty).
I've used Crucials warranty twice. It rocks. They don't even question it.
"Sorry, sir, send it back. We'll send you a new one!".
:D

Andrade
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
I just bought a g53sx and i was woindering if i could put a ssd and steel have the 750 hd

fuzon1337
05-08-2012, 10:57 PM
I just bought a g53sx and i was woindering if i could put a ssd and steel have the 750 hd

Hi and Welcome to the ROG community @Andrade :)

The G53SX have 2 HDD/SSD bays, so there should be no problem adding a second SSD to your machine and still have the 750HDD :)

EDIT: In this video you can see how to access the second bay in G53 series :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev8y8xlCdHE

Andrade
05-08-2012, 11:45 PM
[QUOTE=fuzon1337;102527]Hi and Welcome to the ROG community @Andrade :)

The G53SX have 2 HDD/SSD bays, so there should be no problem adding a second SSD to your machine and still have the 750HDD :)

thanks fuzon, do you recomend any brand that run the pc, and where can i buy it in an online store in the usa? i was thinking to buy a 60gb because i just want it for a couple of games and windos

fuzon1337
05-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Just to turn the question a little bit, how much do you want to spend on a SSD upgrade?

I would recommend Intel SSD 520 xGB (comes in 60 GB, 120 GB, 180 GB, 240 Gb and 480 GB) If you have enough money to go for the 120 or 180 (I recommend 180) then I think that would be much better for you so the SSD don't get full right away after you have cloned the OS or whatever you're going to do :) :P

In this link you can read a review about the Intel SSD 520, so I hope that can give you some features that you like about it. The SSD have sandforce controller, and that should be very good as I have understood on other people in this forum who bought it :)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-520-sandforce-review-benchmark,3124.html

EDIT: Hmm about which online store to buy from in USA I'm not sure what to recommend there, since I don't live in the states, how about tigerdirect.com? :)

Andrade
05-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Do you know how difficult is to move windows from the hdd to the new ssd? i have never done an upgrade so i dont know like nothing
About what do i want to spend, im thinking to spend like 150 with shiping to colombia

fuzon1337
05-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Do you know how difficult is to move windows from the hdd to the new ssd? i have never done an upgrade so i dont know like nothing
About what do i want to spend, im thinking to spend like 150 with shiping to colombia

Perhaps this thread can give you the answer about how to migrate the Win7 OS over to the SSD from HDD :)
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?13700-HELP-How-to-Migrate-from-old-SSD-to-new-SSD&country=&status=

Andrade
05-09-2012, 11:32 PM
yeap it work:) thanks, now i just have to buy the ssd

fuzon1337
05-09-2012, 11:34 PM
yeap it work:) thanks, now i just have to buy the ssd

Hehe, have you found out which SSD you're going to buy ?

Andrade
05-10-2012, 06:38 PM
i think i am going to buy a sandisk of 120 gb

mazewolf
05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I have a Asus g75 and when i play and took of the charger my game lag ? why is this computer bad or ?

Peregrine
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
When you run on battery the computer scales down to provide battery life. You can change this setting but the battery won't last very long if you do. It is recommended to play demanding games while plugged in.