PDA

View Full Version : ssd choice and 1 issue!

440hsp
04-23-2012, 02:40 AM
First my issue. When i plug in my phone to the usb 3.0 port my computer screen goez to a blue screen with code on it and then shuts off. This is the only time it has given me an issue other than the keys not responding sometimes when i'm trying to type. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Ok on to the ssd question? I'm looking at the crucial m4 256gb ssd with data transfer cable. How would this cable option help and is this ssd a good option for my g74? Oh one other thing. I figured since i had it open i would change the wlan card maybe to an intel 6200 or 6300 because i dont use or need.bluetooth and i'm upgrading the ram also. Any advice would help let me know if i'm headed down the right track with the wlan choice and the ssd. Thanks

PILGRIM
04-23-2012, 03:28 AM
...Ok on to the ssd question? I'm looking at the crucial m4 256gb ssd with data transfer cable. How would this cable option help and is this ssd a good option for my g74? Oh one other thing. I figured since i had it open i would change the wlan card maybe to an intel 6200 or 6300 because i dont use or need.bluetooth and i'm upgrading the ram also. Any advice would help let me know if i'm headed down the right track with the wlan choice and the ssd. Thanks

I recommend Crucial M4 for an SSD and Intel for a WiFi Card.
I'm using both (Crucial M4 128 GB SSD and Intel 6230 WiFi Card).
They're pretty reliable, as to my experience.

BrodyBoy
04-23-2012, 03:28 AM
How about plugging your phone into a USB2.0 port?

I don't understand your question about a data cable with an SSD, but the Crucials are an excellent choice. I have used Crucials and Intels, and I'd recommend either of them, without reservation. You probably don't need one that big unless you run really big programs, but extra space won't hurt anything (except your wallet ;)).

If you don't need Bluetooth, then the 6300 is a good choice.

dstrakele
04-23-2012, 03:43 AM
1) What is the a) Bug Check Code, b) Description, c) 4 Parameters, and d) Filename reported as the cause of your BSOD? This info may be obtained from the Bugcheck or Blue Screen source Event in the System Event Log.

Alternatively, BlueScreenView from Nirsoft will pull this info from the Windows mini-dump file on your laptop and present a history of BSOD's.

2) What phone are you connecting to the laptop?

3) What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Acccess software have you installed to your laptop?

Zygomorphic
04-23-2012, 09:54 AM
The USB3.0 on ASUS ROG laptops has been flaky, at best. My advice is to run it from a USB 2.0 port. I have connection issues with my USB 3.0 Western Digital My Passport SE on my ROG laptop. Everything works fine, provided that you run nothing faster than USB 2.0. I run my laptop cooler from the USB 3.0 port, or I plug in USB 2.0 flash drives.

440hsp
04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
#1-the phones i have plugged in are the samsung galaxy s2 and galaxy note. Did this with both phones. Not a big deal just won't use the 3.0 port.
#2- i really dont know much about this computer i.e. when it comes to the knowledge about It or any other computer lolol i'm new. So i have no idea what all the technical talk means. Sorry. I mean no disrespect and i do appreciate all the input and help.

As for the ssd choice i appreciate the input also. Definitely gonna go with the crucial m4 then. I'll look into the wlan card. Will either be the 6200 or 6300. Thanks again.

Zygomorphic
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Simple solution:
1) Look at the end of your USB connector cable, note the color.
2) Look at your USB port, note the color.
3) don't run any blue USB devices in blue USB ports.
black->black = good
blue->black = fine
black->blue = fine
blue->blue = bad

There are a few USB 3.0 ports/devices that are not bright blue, but the USB 3.0 standard highly encourages coloring the USB 3.0 ports blue to differentiate them from the older USB 2.0 ports.

I will apologize for all the nerds around here. Sometimes we forget what it's like not to be a nerd. Don't worry, we're always glad to help...just pump our rep;).

BrodyBoy
04-23-2012, 08:27 PM
#1-the phones i have plugged in are the samsung galaxy s2 and galaxy note. Did this with both phones. Not a big deal just won't use the 3.0 port.
I'm about 99.99% certain that no smartphone has USB3.0 ports....so just use the USB 2.0 ports. Make life easy. :)

As for the ssd choice i appreciate the input also. Definitely gonna go with the crucial m4 then. I'll look into the wlan card. Will either be the 6200 or 6300. Thanks again.
Excellent choices.

BrodyBoy
04-23-2012, 08:34 PM
I will apologize for all the nerds around here. Sometimes we forget what it's like not to be a nerd. Don't worry, we're always glad to help...just pump our rep;).
Speak (or apologize ;)) for yourself.

"Nerds" like Drew provide some of the best support on this forum, without asking for anything in return. That needs no apology.

dstrakele
04-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Who you callin' a nerd???

;>{)>

dstrakele
04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm about 99.99% certain that no smartphone has USB3.0 ports....

I'm in the .01% with my phone. http://tips4tech.net/htc-officially-announced-rezound-with-verizon-wireless-available-from-14th-november-at-299/ states:

"Let’s see in detail the technical characteristics of the device: the HTC Rezound has support for LTE, Wi-fi, Bluetooth connectivity and USB 3.0."

I connect and transfer data from the USB 3.0 port without issue, even while charging with ASUS Ai Charger Plus (see below). The USB cable is about 1 meter in length, which is good, so I can lie down on the couch and use the phone while it charges connected to my G74SX. Don't wanna overstress myself y'know...

I think the OP has a driver conflict that causes the BSOD when he connects the Samsung phones. That's why I asked what Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, or Remote Access software is installed. They are usually the prime suspects. http://www.fixya.com/support/t11761148-bsod_whenever_flash_drive_phone_camera indicates 3rd Party disk management products can also cause this issue.

I was hoping additional troubleshooting of the BSOD from info in the System Event Log (or provided from the BlueScreenView utility) may possibly point to the offending application. But if the OP doesn't feel up to pursuing it further, well that's OK too!

Here is another interesting article (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1524244) that points to an issue with the Samsung Note and ASUS Ai Charger Plus.

In http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1496591, a user reports:

"When I turn on tethering, the Samsung Galaxy SII USB Remote NDIS Network Drivers will load, and the connection will work (except on USB 3.0 connectors)."

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/645729-usb-3-0-port-will-not-recognize-samsung-galaxy-s.html reports USB 3.0 problems with the Samsung Galaxy SII on an HP system:

"Anyway, my USB 3.0 will read my flash drive, but when I plug in my phone it gives me an error saying that the driver was not successfully installed. I tried the USB 2.0 port and it worked just fine."

So give the USB 2.0 port a shot as Brody recommends.

440hsp
04-23-2012, 10:28 PM
i really appreciate all your helpful advice guys. I hope to one day be as knowlegable as all of you with when dealing with my own computer. On the other hand i have been in a heated discussion with a coworker about my wanting to do the ssd upgrade. He says that he is somewhat of a computer guru himself and he agrees completely with me doing the wlan card and ram upgrade but not the ssd upgrade. He said that i would have to go through quite alot having to redownload all the drivers and completely reinstall the o.s. Just for what i do on a day to day basis which is mainly gaming, downloading music, and daily internet browsing. That's where you guys come in. Would this upgrade be a substancial one doing what i do with my rig? I would like to hear from people that have done this upgrade and put your ssd's through thier paces so to speak. Thanks again.

DooRules
04-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Your coworker must also not have an ssd for the OS. If he did I can't imagine he would say do the others first. Having an ssd for the OS really wakes up the system, one of the best upgrades you can do imho.

dstrakele
04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
But for Browsing, Streaming music and videos, and connecting to remote servers for gameplay, the WiFi card upgrade will give you more bang for the buck and installation effort, provided you have a router and ISP connection that can take advantage of the extra speed the upgrade will provide.

440hsp
04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
No sir its not that i dont want to try and figure this problem out. I do. I'm going to plug my phone in and see what happens.

Zygomorphic
04-24-2012, 12:52 AM
I am going to try the AI charger plus as well, and see if it helps with my USB 3.0 HDD. @BrodyBoy, I was trying to add a bit of humor. No offense was intended, and no, I don't expect people to push the +rep button without a reason. I have been posting for some time, and have given freely of what little I know :). 440hsp, let us know if it works.

BrodyBoy
04-24-2012, 01:05 AM
On the other hand i have been in a heated discussion with a coworker about my wanting to do the ssd upgrade. He says that he is somewhat of a computer guru himself and he agrees completely with me doing the wlan card and ram upgrade but not the ssd upgrade. He said that i would have to go through quite alot having to redownload all the drivers and completely reinstall the o.s.
He's wrong. Period. A fresh install of the OS is one option, but certainly not the only one. A couple other options:

If you'd prefer to keep your current installation exactly the way you have it now....only running from an SSD.....you simply make a system image of your current OS drive using Windows Backup & Restore. Then you physically install the new SSD and restore the system image to the SSD. You will not lose anything, and will have changed nothing in your installation.

If you want to just "start over" with the Asus OEM installation on an SSD, you can make a set of recovery DVDs (using the AI Recovery uttlity). Then you physically install the SSD and use the recovery DVDs to do a factory restore onto the SSD. WIth this approach, your installation will be exactly the same as when you first turned it on.....right down to the first-time setup wizard.....except it will be running from a shiny new SSD. :)

This guy says he's "somewhat of a computer guru?" Not when it comes to SSDs.....

Just for what i do on a day to day basis which is mainly gaming, downloading music, and daily internet browsing. That's where you guys come in. Would this upgrade be a substancial one doing what i do with my rig? I would like to hear from people that have done this upgrade and put your ssd's through thier paces so to speak. Thanks again.
I've upgraded all the computers I have (currently three) to SSD OS drives.....and I've been building a new home server that will also use an SSD for the OS.

Here's the thing: Windows starts, wakes, and shuts down much faster with an SSD, and most programs will start up noticeably faster. The computer will run cooler, quieter, and use a little less juice. But the internet will not be faster, music won't play better, colors won't be prettier. ;) At first blush, the advantages I noted may not seem all that consequential. But the cumulative impact is considerable, IMO. The overall user experience is better, since the computer just seems zippier and more responsive.

This is not to say that you have to upgrade....the 7200rpm HDDs that come standard on most G-series models are really nice drives. You can't go wrong either way, but your computer-guru friend is mistaken in his assumptions about what an SSD upgrade necessarily entails.

HiVizMan
04-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Upgrading to a SSD is significantly the most noticeable and meaningful upgrade that any user can do. Everything about how you interact with your system will be improved simply because it take so much less time for those things to happen.

There are a number of methods to transfer your key information, or the entire OS to a new SSD if that is what you prefer to do.

A3roSolus
04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I have a G74 and have swapped out one of the stock seagate hdd @7200RPM's and put in an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB which has been really great, I don't know much about the crucial, but I would suggest the OCZ. Here's a link on Newegg, it's a similar price to the Crucial. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227707

440hsp
04-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Lolol. Thanks again for all your input. I'm taking my coworkers comments with a grain of salt so to speak. Definitely gonna do the ssd. Was looking at the crucial with the transfer data cable. Not the data cable that comes with the crucial mind you. There is a transfer cable system using usb 3.0 from a company called apricorn because i've read better reviews on them from amazon. Thought it might make the process of switching over easier. Already ordered the ram and the intel 6300 wlan card. Should have those by tomorrow. I haven't got to.plug in my phone to my computer yet to see what the blue screen reads yet. I work offshore.in the gulf of mexico and i've been working long hours so i haven't had time to check it out. Going home today.so i will look into it. Also looked into the vertex 3 ssd and i read quite a few bad reviews on amazon and some on newegg so i didnt want to take a chance on that ssd. Thanks again guys.

BrodyBoy
04-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Lolol. Thanks again for all your input. I'm taking my coworkers comments with a grain of salt so to speak. Definitely gonna do the ssd. Was looking at the crucial with the transfer data cable. Not the data cable that comes with the crucial mind you. There is a transfer cable system using usb 3.0 from a company called apricorn because i've read better reviews on them from amazon. Thought it might make the process of switching over easier.
Do you have a lot of personal data on there already? Stuff that you need to move/transfer?

Whatever you've got, you really don't need to buy any extra cables, etc. to move your data or installation. People do it here all the time....you can get step by step instructions if you need them.

440hsp
04-24-2012, 08:08 PM
hey brodyboy. Yeah i have abunch of stuff on my hard drive. Lots of programs and stuff but i know i can move those to my 1tb ext. Hard drive. I would like to have my computer with no bloatware if possible like there was when i first bought it. So it wont be bogged down by all the stuff i dont need. Do you have any tips for me when installing my wlan card and memory? I've never done it before but i've looked inside the back of the case already and it looks fairly straight forward. Will i need drivers or whatnot for the wireless card or anything else for the ram install or basically i need to shut the computer down, take the battery out,install everything then turn it back on? Not gonna do the ssd right now until i get a little more money together. Btw, can you point me to a link maybe that would help me with transferring my data thats needed? I made recovery discs the first time i turned on the laptop. Would those help?

BrodyBoy
04-24-2012, 08:43 PM
hey brodyboy. Yeah i have abunch of stuff on my hard drive. Lots of programs and stuff but i know i can move those to my 1tb ext. Hard drive. I would like to have my computer with no bloatware if possible like there was when i first bought it. So it wont be bogged down by all the stuff i dont need. Do you have any tips for me when installing my wlan card and memory? I've never done it before but i've looked inside the back of the case already and it looks fairly straight forward. Will i need drivers or whatnot for the wireless card or anything else for the ram install or basically i need to shut the computer down, take the battery out,install everything then turn it back on? Not gonna do the ssd right now until i get a little more money together. Btw, can you point me to a link maybe that would help me with transferring my data thats needed? I made recovery discs the first time i turned on the laptop. Would those help?
Sure....the WLAN and RAM upgrades are pretty easy. When you open that big back panel, you have access to both components.

RAM:
The RAM slots use standard spring mounts. There are little metal "tabs" on either side of the RAM module....you just push those outward and the module will spring upward. Once the module is tilted up, you can slide it out of the connector and put the new one in at the same angle. Be sure to push the new module all the way in, until it feels fully seated into the connector. Then just push it down until it "clicks" and locks into place.

When you turn the computer back on, the BIOS will recognize the new RAM and report it to Windows automatically. You don't need to change any settings.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/G74%20Hardware/RAM4.jpg

WLAN:
Also pretty straightforward, but you need to make some software changes. First, download the latest Intel WLAN driver. (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20791/eng/Wireless_14.3.0.6_Ds64.exe) Then you want to completely uninstall the existing Atheros WLAN software. Once these tasks are completed, you power down, disconnect the AC and battery, and physically swap out the WLAN card. The only slightly tricky part is that you can't actually see the connector, since it's kind of tucked under the edge of the opening. But an easy way to guide the new card in accurately is to keep the screw hole on it aligned with the little mount for it...if those are in line, the card will slide right into its slot.

After you have swapped the card and restarted the computer, Windows will recognize the new hardware and look for a driver for it. You can cancel that or wait until it's done and reports that it doesn't have the driver. Close that wizard and then just install the Intel WLAN driver you downloaded earlier. Chances are, the default settings will work fine with your network, and you'll just need to add your network password.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/G74%20Hardware/WLANswap.jpg

Since you aren't doing the SSD now, let's cross that bridge when you come to it. There are several options for setting up the OS on it, as I mentioned earlier. When the time comes, we can go over those in detail and you can decide which approach you want to take. Then we can cover the step-by-step. :)

440hsp
04-24-2012, 09:20 PM
brodyboy i appreciate that man. You've been a great help. Yeah i agree that the ssd questions can wait. Thanks again brotha

Zygomorphic
04-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Have you ever considered a hybrid drive? Seagate makes them, and they are fast. Not as fast as an SSD, I'll confess, but faster than any mechanical drive, and almost on par with the slowest SSD's for Windows boot. Also, the 500 GB variant is only ~$100, so it is a lot more cost (space) effective than a true SSD. Just a thought, I happen to have one, and it works quite well.

440hsp
04-25-2012, 04:20 AM
zygomorphic, i did consider the hybrid drive for sure. Was thinking about swapping the drive for several months before i completely decided to go to a full ssd. The money isnt an extreme problem but i just dropped around 150.00 with one day shipping for the ram and the intel 6300 so i decided to wait til my next check to get the ssd. After that i should be at a standstill ( i think) at what i can upgrade hardware wise with my g74. Just want to see the full potential of my laptop or the best it can achieve with my help. Lol

440hsp
04-25-2012, 04:25 AM
trying to figure out all the bloatware to remove on this thing without messing it up before i disk defragmant it for the first time. I thought i had the defragmenter on a schedule but i guess i didnt. Also just did the nvidia update for the graphics card and went to msconfig and cleaned up unnecessary starting programs. Geese there's a bunch of crap on here that slows my laptop down.

BrodyBoy
04-25-2012, 04:59 AM
trying to figure out all the bloatware to remove on this thing without messing it up before i disk defragmant it for the first time. I thought i had the defragmenter on a schedule but i guess i didnt. Also just did the nvidia update for the graphics card and went to msconfig and cleaned up unnecessary starting programs. Geese there's a bunch of crap on here that slows my laptop down.
Take a look in Control Panel. While some of the listings may not be familiar, you'll probably see quite a few things that you know you don't want/need/use....like extra toolbars, pdf readers, Asus utilities, etc. Those are good targets to start with.

If you have replaced any of the free/trialware with your own programs, those can go as well. If, for example, you use some other security software, uninstall the Trend Micro trial. If you have your own productivity suite, get rid of the MS Office free version. If you don't use stuff like Windows Live Essentials, Chrome, ExpressGate Cloud, etc., get rid of them.

Don't uninstall things you don't recognize....ask first, as some of the entries are drivers and you do need them.

440hsp
04-25-2012, 05:14 AM
Hey brodyboy glad you chimed in. I wanted to know what asus crap i can take off. Asus ai recovery,face logon,live update,usb charger plus,virtual camera, and webstorage. I dont know what they do but i want to remove any program i dont need. Also with the windows essentials i have quite a few of those but i just dont wanna uninstall something that i need. Thats why i was scared to touch them

BrodyBoy
04-25-2012, 05:21 AM
Here's a sample shot of the G74 Control Panel programs list, as shipped. Everything that's lined out is non-essential and expendable, so if you don't use these things, uninstall them.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/ControlPanel_all_marked.png

Zygomorphic
04-25-2012, 09:47 AM
One note, and that is the Nuance PDF Reader is not junkware. While I recognize that most (including myself) use Adobe Reader, it is an alternative if you so desire. Otherwise, great list, and great Photoshopping @BrodyBoy, I almost couldn't tell that you had done anything!

440hsp
04-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Brodyboy i appreciate that. I'll go through and uninstall all the crap i dont need. Preciate all your help. I yhink the only asus program i do use is the power4gear program and that should be it.

BrodyBoy
04-25-2012, 05:34 PM
One note, and that is the Nuance PDF Reader is not junkware. While I recognize that most (including myself) use Adobe Reader, it is an alternative if you so desire. Otherwise, great list, and great Photoshopping @BrodyBoy, I almost couldn't tell that you had done anything!
Never said it's junk, specifically....but it is bloatware in that most people don't use it and it just takes up space on their machines. From my perspective, anything in that list, whether it's decent software or not (and some of it is not), is bloatware if it's not something the owner ever wanted and not something the computer needs for its basic functionality. There's a lot of stuff that falls into that category.... ;)

Right after I do a clean install on a G74, when only Windows and the essential drivers are on board, there are about a dozen items in that list. Of course, it grows as I add my own software, but the point is that the "base list" is very short, and everything beyond that should only be what the owner chooses to add, not what Asus chose.

BrodyBoy
04-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Brodyboy i appreciate that. I'll go through and uninstall all the crap i dont need. Preciate all your help. I yhink the only asus program i do use is the power4gear program and that should be it.
One caveat is AI Rcovery.....it's a "once-and-done" program. Its only function is to make a DVD back-up of the recovery partition on the hard drive. Once you have that set of back-up disks, you would never use AI Recovery again.

Some people never bother with backing up the partition, but if you want to, do that first then go ahead & uninstall AI Recovery.

Zygomorphic
04-25-2012, 05:47 PM
It would be nice if ASUS gave us the ability to do a clean install, even as an option. I recognize that part of the price of many new PC's is subsidized by the bloatwae, junkware, shovelware, etc that software vendors pay the OEM's to preinstall on their PCs. I appreciate the lower price of the computer, but I would like--without a price increase!--an option to do a clean install, that way I only put on what I need.

Part of why they put the PDF Reader on is because the electronic manual is in PDF format, so if the user wants to read the manual before connecting to the Internet, a PDF reader is mandatory.

BrodyBoy
04-25-2012, 06:02 PM
It would be nice if ASUS gave us the ability to do a clean install, even as an option. I recognize that part of the price of many new PC's is subsidized by the bloatwae, junkware, shovelware, etc that software vendors pay the OEM's to preinstall on their PCs. I appreciate the lower price of the computer, but I would like--without a price increase!--an option to do a clean install, that way I only put on what I need.

Part of why they put the PDF Reader on is because the electronic manual is in PDF format, so if the user wants to read the manual before connecting to the Internet, a PDF reader is mandatory.
True...but do we need TWO of them?? It also comes with Adobe Reader. Two utterly redundant programs.....how bloatatious! ;)

I agree about the clean install option....I honestly think it would be a big selling point. I think it's Sony who offers a "clean" software configuration to those buying directly from their website, but believe it or not, they actually charge MORE for it!

440hsp
04-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Ok guys i got a quick question. I have probably 8 microsoft visual c++ 2005 thru 2010 redistributable (x64) and (x86) programs on here, 2 msmxl 4.0 sp2 programs,along with a few questionable items that i wanted to uninstall. I am running and an xbox controller and microsoft office so that might have something to do with those programs but im not sure.

440hsp
04-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Ok guys ram is installed and 6300 is installed with the driver you sent me brodyboy. Havent tested the anything yet. Refreshing. my windows index right now. 1 question though. It says that i have 24gb of ram but only 16gb is usable. Whats up with that?

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Ok guys ram is installed and 6300 is installed with the driver you sent me brodyboy. Havent tested the anything yet. Refreshing. my windows index right now. 1 question though. It says that i have 24gb of ram but only 16gb is usable. Whats up with that?
Windows Home Premium can use up to 16Gb. You need Win Pro, Ultimate, or Enterprise to be able to use more than that.

The easiest way to upgrade, if that's what you want to do, is use the Windows Anytime Upgrade already built into Windows. You buy the upgrade key, which simply unlocks the features of the new version. There's nothing to install or reinstall, as every copy of Windows already has all the various version features built in....it's the product key that determines which features are unlocked.

440hsp
04-26-2012, 01:21 AM
is it worth it to upgrade. i went to the upgrade page and i dont see anthing that i normally use on a day to day basis that would help me by upgrading other than it using more ram. is there a noticable difference if i did upgrade?

Zygomorphic
04-26-2012, 01:39 AM
That's because they have to make up the cost of the subsidy, as well as the cost of paying someone to remove the software. Anyway, that's Sony, king of the bloatware installers. Come on vendors, copy Apple/Alienware, no junk. It's worth it, especially on nicer systems like the ROG line. Sure, I understand on the cheaper systems, it helps keep the costs down, but on a gaming PC:mad:!

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 02:51 AM
is it worth it to upgrade. i went to the upgrade page and i dont see anthing that i normally use on a day to day basis that would help me by upgrading other than it using more ram. is there a noticable difference if i did upgrade?
No...not if you don't use the features added in any of the upgrade versions. There's no performance benefit or anything like that. It's just a matter of (small) differences in the feature set, and they really only make sense if, as you prudently observed, they are things you actually want or need.

I've seen many computer users upgrade to Win Ultimate because they think it's somehow "the biggest and best!"......without actually looking at the differences and realizing that they have no use for any of Ultimate's added features, which are actually geared more toward enterprise use. BitLocker? Multiple language support? A few home users actually need those things, but most never will.

Honestly, I don't think you would notice any difference whatsoever, either in going from Home Premium to another Windows edition, or going from 16Gb RAM to 24Gb. But of course, that isn't always the point, is it?! We just love to play around and tinker and buy stuff sometimes. :) So really, it's entirely up to you and your budget....no harm done either way.

440hsp
04-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Thanks for that input brodyboy. Just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys here on ROG. i'm usually modding my phones and changing roms adnthings like that to get the most out them. Now i have another electronic gadget to tinker with. If its not my phones, it's my car, so i appreciate you guys giving me good ideas on what to and what not to do when i play with this beast. Anybody on here play shooter type games with thier rig and if so what's new i can buy to play on mine? I'm a gamer of sorts but not rpg's though.

OmegaMan
04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
The USB3.0 on ASUS ROG laptops has been flaky, at best. My advice is to run it from a USB 2.0 port. I have connection issues with my USB 3.0 Western Digital My Passport SE on my ROG laptop. Everything works fine, provided that you run nothing faster than USB 2.0. I run my laptop cooler from the USB 3.0 port, or I plug in USB 2.0 flash drives.

I agree on that one, got serveral USB 3.0 drives from western digital to Seagate, they all ended up doing the same thing, malfunctioning. I ordered an external Asus usb 3.0 BD drive, first thing I'll do is to plug it into the usb 3 port and try to burn some stuff over a cheap BD blank to see what's happening. If the G74 USB 3 port does not work with their own USB 3 external BD drive... I think it'll be proper to call it a failure.

MrRuckus
04-26-2012, 07:05 PM
I agree on that one, got serveral USB 3.0 drives from western digital to Seagate, they all ended up doing the same thing, malfunctioning. I ordered an external Asus usb 3.0 BD drive, first thing I'll do is to plug it into the usb 3 port and try to burn some stuff over a cheap BD blank to see what's happening. If the G74 USB 3 port does not work with their own USB 3 external BD drive... I think it'll be proper to call it a failure.

I have a 2TB WD in a Rosewill 3.0 enclosure and transferred over 1.5TB or so from my old G53 to the G74, both over the 3.0 port. I haven't had a single problem with the port yet. Also use a 32GB USB 3.0 Thumb Drive on a regular basis for MP3 transportation from the laptop to the car. Not sure why you guys have such problems.

OmegaMan
04-27-2012, 12:56 AM
I have a 2TB WD in a Rosewill 3.0 enclosure and transferred over 1.5TB or so from my old G53 to the G74, both over the 3.0 port. I haven't had a single problem with the port yet. Also use a 32GB USB 3.0 Thumb Drive on a regular basis for MP3 transportation from the laptop to the car. Not sure why you guys have such problems.

First I tried with a western digital 750gb portable drive, then a 1TB seagate both portable hdd, never got a backup done and validated properly. The 3.0 port hook off and then you can hear that distinctive sound like you just plugged in the portable hdd device, happens while the backup procedure is on going. No matter what I tried that didn't worked. 2 out of 2 usb 3.0 drives not working properly for doing backups that's not good. I don't know what's the problem same for the tech service employee I sent an email to. He just told me that it wasn't the first time he had to reply to the same issue. Anyways I'll keep my fingers crossed for the BD drive I just ordered.