PDA

View Full Version : G53JW-XA1: Is it acceptable DPC Latency?

kimiraikkonen
04-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi dear Asus ROG members and ROG notebook owners,
After hanging on notebookreview i finally found and decided to post here about some really irritating issues about my Asus G53JW. If you've paid 1500 $ to a notebook, you expect "almost" perfection. But it's noticeably far away from the money it deserves. However though i have a lot of questions, here is my latest question that made me annoy after searching forums about DPC latency. I know DPC Latency Checker tool (and i downloaded it and running) is able to detect glitches / lags / misconfigured devices especially because of faulty device drivers, and especially programmed by WinDDK.

I ran that tool to detect if keyboard lag i was having was because of so-called faulty Atheros Wifi (mine is AR9285) driver or other drivers and i'm a bit curious how to interpret results. Here is my 2 worst screenshots i had after using my G53JW under moderate load (writing forum posts, full HD AVC video is being played at background and Facebook is open in Firefox etc):

I sometimes had 3-4 consecutive red bars randomly but NOT very often, rarely:

And usually normal when computer is idle:

As you see the maximum latency did not exceed 7095 uS it's not excessive. However i wonder what DPC graph is optimum for my G53. How is yours?

A bit clue about my configuration. My Atheros Wifi driver is 8.0.0.316 which did not cause any connectivity problems so far, my GTX 460's WHQL version is 285.62 (i know 296.10 is out), ATK package is stock-version 1.00005, BIOS is stock 209 (did not cause big troubles, too) etc.

I currently live in Turkey and i bought it from US, so either updating BIOS or modifiying crucial system components won't be fixed under warranty (warranty expired a month ago) if something goes wrong during update and Asus service here is too far from understanding this high-end Rog notebooks, so i'm alone.

Can you interpret the results about DPC latencies and the current status based on the info i wrote. Should i really worry about the results?

Big thanks to everyone!

dstrakele
04-23-2012, 01:48 PM
You want your system to look more like the last image all the time when you are NOT performing any activities in applications. Try upgrading your Atheros driver to version 9.2.1.470. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status= for a link to that version.

The older version Atheros drivers have bad DPC Latency and are responsible for about 90% of the performance issues on the G Series laptops. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card&country=&status=

kimiraikkonen
04-23-2012, 06:34 PM
You want your system to look more like the last image all the time when you are NOT performing any activities in applications. Try upgrading your Atheros driver to version 9.2.1.470. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status= for a link to that version.

The older version Atheros drivers have bad DPC Latency and are responsible for about 90% of the performance issues on the G Series laptops. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card&country=&status=

Thanks dstrakele for your reply. Does it apply to my Atheros AR9285? Because it's supposed to be a release for
"Atheros AR9002WB-1NG" based on the link you posted.

Additionally, will installing WLAN adapter driver with the one you provided, effect my built-in bluetooth dongle which is BT-270 from Broadcom ? I know BT-270 is a seperate device but not sure.

Thanks again.

dstrakele
04-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Yes it does. The driver is for a number of Atheros devices on multiple OS'es. But I recommend you do your own research to satisfy yourself that this is indeed the case.

An even more recent driver version 10.0.0.45 is available from a couple of unofficial sites. Here is one: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/atheros.htm If you click on the "Information" link on the far left side of the driver version, it will display the supported devices and OS versions. I don't use these sites, however. I recommended the 9.2.1.470 driver because it is on an ASUS site and I personally use it without issue. It eliiminated most of the DPC Lantency I experienced with an earlier 9.2.0.xxx Atheros driver.

The built-in Bluetooth driver is separate. Driver installation FOR ANY DRIVER can be tricky. I've read 2 posts where users installing the Atheros Bluetooth driver completely borked their clean Windows installation and had to rebuild. I recommend making a Restore Point (and maybe event backing up the current Widows System State) before any driver installation, so you can easily return to the Pre-Install state. I typically uninstall the current Atheros driver and boot into Safe Mode for the new version installation. This disables other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may potentially interfere with your Atheros driver installation.

kimiraikkonen
04-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks a lot dstrakele. I'll consider your suggestions about potential crashes during installation. I found out that Atheros driver consists in just a single file which is "athr.sys" according to device manager. So, would updating it manually via have-disk method by providing required .inf cause trouble? Or is it required to install whole setup pack?

Because i don't see any .inf in the package of link you provided. Just a bunch of .ini files and setup.exe along with data1.cab and data2.cab. It would be so pain-free and easy if there was a way of updating driver by have-disk method.

dstrakele
04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I recommend you uninstall your current Atheros driver, reboot into Safe Mode and run SETUP.EXE from the installation files.

kimiraikkonen
11-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Sorry for bumping th thread. I'm thinking of updating my stock Atheros AR9285 but there's no any entry under "Programs And Features, AKA Add/Remove Programs".

So, is it Ok to just download a new one and run setup exe over existing driver which should overwrite? The setup is just supposed to install "athrx.sys" which is the only driver file appears in Device Manager, right?

And finally, how can i backup the stock wifi driver? Driver CD?

Thanks!

dstrakele
11-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Are you sure that "Qualcomm Atheros WiFi Driver Installation" does not exist in "Control Panel - Uninstall a program"?

The stock Atheros WiFi driver is available on the Driver CD or may be downloaded from the ASUS website.

kimiraikkonen
11-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Are you sure that "Qualcomm Atheros WiFi Driver Installation" does not exist in "Control Panel - Uninstall a program"?

The stock Atheros WiFi driver is available on the Driver CD or may be downloaded from the ASUS website.

Yes, there isn't. And i beleive it was since i bought the notebook and seem to have installed Wifi driver using "have disk" method with no installer. Now can i overwrite without getting any uninstaller? I have no entry in Programs and Features related to Atheros (Quallcomm) Wifi Device. Only Widcomm bluetooth is present which has no relation.

Any comment is appreciated. Thanks!

dstrakele
11-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Give it a shot...or uninstall the Atheros driver from Device Manager, then reboot prior to installing the new Atheros driver. If you create a Windows System Restore Point prior to any changes, you can easily undo them if something goes wrong.