PDA

View Full Version : WLAN function key....

kimiraikkonen
04-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Hi all,
As you may know the WLAN function key in G series notebooks, at least in my G53JW, is too far away from being really functional and smart. Here is what i've found when this key (FN + F2) is used along with Wireless Console Utility:

1) Disabling WLAN adapter using FN + F2 or via Wireless Console WON'T actually turn it off, it JUST disconnects (like you can manually do via right clicking adapter and clicking connect / disconnect) and DOESN'T either disable or turns off device. The adapter is itself present in device manager and Network and Sharing Center in Win7 x64 SP1. This kind of disable is too soft and gains no battery power because actually keeps WLAN adapter ON, but keeps disconnected.

2) You cannot use 4 possibilites with FN + F2 combination. Here is what trouble it causes: Consider your BT dongle is OFF and WLAN adapter is ON, when you use FN + F2, it's supposed to apply 4 combinations (WLAN on / BT off, WLAN off / BT on, WLAN off / BT off, WLAN on / BT on)...whereas it DOESN'T! - It only disables / enables active device, let's say you have WLAN adapter ON and BT OFF, when you press FN + F2, it disables WLAN adapter which was enabled and active device, but still keeps BT off! Additional presses won't change the behaviour. This is a stupid design of FN key and Wireless Console. Really annoying. You can test if you have a G53(JW).

Any comments and confirmations about these?

Thanks

BrodyBoy
04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
(1) This isn't really an "issue," since it's the behavior I would expect is most useful for most owners. It's simply the quick way to turn WLAN on & off...say, if you are switching over to LAN or using the computer offline. If you want to actually remove it from your system (which is what you must do if you don't even want Device Manager to know it's there), you would do that at a lower level. The device must be present and recognized for a simple switch (hardware or Fn+F2) to be able to toggle it back on when you need it.

(2) Perhaps you might try uninstalling WC3. Using the Fn+F2 toggle without WC3 (which I never use), I can indeed toggle through all four possibilities in a machine that has BT. In one without, it toggles between WLAN on & off.

kimiraikkonen
04-23-2012, 08:40 PM
(1) This isn't really an "issue," since it's the behavior I would expect is most useful for most owners. It's simply the quick way to turn WLAN on & off...say, if you are switching over to LAN or using the computer offline. If you want to actually remove it from your system (which is what you must do if you don't even want Device Manager to know it's there), you would do that at a lower level. The device must be present and recognized for a simple switch (hardware or Fn+F2) to be able to toggle it back on when you need it.

(2) Perhaps you might try uninstalling WC3. Using the Fn+F2 toggle without WC3 (which I never use), I can indeed toggle through all four possibilities in a machine that has BT. In one without, it toggles between WLAN on & off.

Thanks BrodyBoy, for question 1: IMHO, that's not acceptable (at least for me) for a RoG notebook which lacks such a tiny physical WLAN adapter switch, soft switch is not same as the former, but i "could" accept it'd disable completely like BT, which disappears from device manager, so close to hard switch.

For question 2: I'll keep it in mind for next OS re-installation if i do any, but i wonder how FN + F2 would work in 4 circumstances if there's no low-level interpreter like crappy Wireless Console 3. A more advanced switcher could be added by default, it's a matter of programming a bit more, nothing else, and It's entity and absence are both problems.

Thanks for your interest though.

BrodyBoy
04-24-2012, 01:11 AM
For question 2: I'll keep it in mind for next OS re-installation if i do any, but i wonder how FN + F2 would work in 4 circumstances if there's no low-level interpreter like crappy Wireless Console 3.
It works just fine....that's what I was saying. WC3 isn't the program that controls the Fn hotkeys...the ATK Package does. WC3 is redundant and unnecessary.

Go ahead and try it....you don't have to wait for an OS re-installation. Just uninstall WC3.