PDA

View Full Version : What are these files?

Tear_a_Bee
04-25-2012, 01:11 AM
I was cleaning out some files and I saw that on my main C drive menu there are a bunch of random files under the Windows folder. Does anyone know what these are?8095

modded
04-25-2012, 02:14 PM
They look like recovery files, someone correct me if I'm wrong though. My g73jh has them too.

Zygomorphic
04-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Some of them are also BIOS files, the .BIN ones specifically. Some of the others are install logs, which is a hallmark of bad installer programming, to litter in the root directory of the system drive. Every one of the text (.txt) files can be safely deleted, as they are simply logs. I might be leery of removing the "user.js" file, depending on when you bought your system. If you bought your system before February 12, 2012 (2/12/2012), it can also be deleted.

Have you run a BIOS update recently? If so, that would explain why the BIOS .BIN files are there.

kimiraikkonen
04-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I have them, too in my root of C:.

Especially .bin files and the others are related to recovery and a guidance for built-in BIOS and the custom boot options such as Express Gate Cloud. I neither have one of these on other Win7 boxes, so it must be specific to RoG ones, which made me wonder like you.

Tear_a_Bee
04-26-2012, 09:29 PM
No, I have never updated by BIOS.