PDA

View Full Version : question???

440hsp
04-25-2012, 05:02 AM
Do i need expressgate? I was trying to get rid of bloatware on my g74sx and i uninstalled this program. Do i need it? Was trying to find out what bloatware i had on my laptop that i could remove but all i see is advice towards other systems. I could also be as blind as a bat and be completely missing it too.

MinhMMK
04-25-2012, 05:18 AM
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html

Here you go sir :) .

ExpressGate - Based on Linux, this utility features a graphical user interface, web browser, Skype, and a chat client based on Pidgin. It allows users to fully utilize these features without having to boot into Windows. Using ExpressGate instead of Windows does not help conserve battery life. A fun feature, but not necessary.

BrodyBoy
04-25-2012, 05:23 AM
Bottom line? If you don't know what ExpressGate is, you're not using it and you can uninstall it. ;)

dstrakele
04-25-2012, 05:33 AM
ExpressGate can be useful to troubleshoot issues. If the issue can be reproduced in ExpressGate, you know it is an issue that cannot be resolved with Windows drivers.

And if you just want to quickly look up something on the web, it'll boot up in less than 20 seconds without an SSD.

Zygomorphic
04-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Simple answer, I would say, is to get rid of ExpressGate. If you want a high-speed booting LINUX, install the distro of your choice. That way, it works like a real OS, rather than a limited one. For first time users, I recommend Ubuntu, because the installation work is pretty easy (no harder than Windows). Like others have said, LINUX does not improve your battery life (in fact, it will shorten it), but it does provide a great way to check for software problems. If you want more info on installing Ubuntu, either reply, or go to www.ubuntu.com.

440hsp
04-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys i got a little worried for a second.