PDA

View Full Version : Xonar Phoebus Sound Card Technical Details

Tim_S@ASUS
04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
http://rog.asus.com/105462012/sound-cards-and-headsets/xonar-phoebus-sound-card-technical-details/

The Republic of Gamers Modus Operandi is to always provide the ultimate PC hardware. At first it was via motherboards like the Rampage and Maximus series, later graphics cards like the Matrix, MARS & ARES, and now the Xonar team has submitted sound cards into the mix, with its Xonar Phoebus.

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/xonar-phoebus-4-799x410.jpg

Myk SilentShadow
04-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Woooot bring on the release day in Aus already!! :cool:

Lilkka
04-25-2012, 05:02 PM
when's it being released to the United Kingdom, I want my hands on this! any ETA? Amazon, Ebuyer, Scan do not have any preview dates or even a image on the site saying they will sell it at all.

Izanagi
04-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Big time fan of ASUS ROG, but i was wondering when is the release date for NA. I am currently in Canada and is in need of a good soundcard. This soundcard came to my attention and from what ive seen i fell in love with it. I hope i can expect a release date for Canada pretty soon. Thanks.

Raja@ASUS
04-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Big time fan of ASUS ROG, but i was wondering when is the release date for NA. I am currently in Canada and is in need of a good soundcard. This soundcard came to my attention and from what ive seen i fell in love with it. I hope i can expect a release date for Canada pretty soon. Thanks.

Next month or so. Got one here, testing now, sounds gooooood...

Izanagi
04-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Thank you for your response. Will be anticipating the sound card. Much appreciated. :)

Myk SilentShadow
04-26-2012, 03:26 PM

TEASE!!!! :p :cool:

dedaciai
04-26-2012, 05:17 PM
I am not a conspiracy theorist or anything- ha! but it seems like with all of these teaser pics and updates on this site and the regular Asus site the soundcard is not too far off. Hmmm....next Tuesday is May 1st....

Izanagi
04-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I've noticed that both the sound cards have the same amp. Essence seems to have a higher end processor than the Phoebus; but in terms of software, the Phoebus seems to have the better software. Aside from those comparisons i was wondering about the sound quality when compared. Which one you recommend? For me i like to listen to music and play games. My only concern is that the Essence seems to be the better card for sound quality over the Phoebus. Need your insight. Thanks.

PALADiN
04-30-2012, 03:58 AM
I've noticed that both the sound cards have the same amp. Essence seems to have a higher end processor than the Phoebus; but in terms of software, the Phoebus seems to have the better software. Aside from those comparisons i was wondering about the sound quality when compared. Which one you recommend? For me i like to listen to music and play games. My only concern is that the Essence seems to be the better card for sound quality over the Phoebus. Need your insight. Thanks.
I asked a similar question and was told that it mainly depends on what you're hooking up to the sound card.

Raja@ASUS
04-30-2012, 07:31 AM

The Phoebus is more gaming centric out of the two. Both sound good, I'd weigh up what you are going to be doing more. If it's playing games go for the Phoebus, if more music then go for the Essence STX.

Choum
05-02-2012, 07:29 AM
hello,

Can we have more information about Gx3.0 and eax support.

Does that mean this card will support eax 3.0 (splinter cell), eax 4.0 (hitman 2) and Eax 5.0 for older games.

All previous xonar card only have support of eax 1, 2, and 5.

Xtreme-Performance
05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
So if it's you'd want both... but I guess like you'd say which is more important gaming or music entertainment...?! Hmmm... that's a toughie... Would you recommend Pheabus a audiophilies or whatever that terminology is called... lol... I think I'm more of a 3Dphilies or eyecatching... myself... the better the graphics the more I'd be wanting one... lol

The Phoebus is more gaming centric out of the two. Both sound good, I'd weigh up what you are going to be doing more. If it's playing games go for the Phoebus, if more music then go for the Essence STX.

I don't care much for Bass... but if my priority is gaming but want acoustic in gaming like listening to Bose Sound system which would you reccomend since I picked gaming... yet the kind of music I prefer to listen too is acoustic...

Sorry if I'm a little confusing... I know I can't have a quality music and 3d music... lol

Actually I do want it... cos I don't know if I should get a sound card or not... I saw some sweet digital to analog... but nah don't wanna hook up a sound system theatre for that... but if Pheabus is better for headset (since technically it's gaming then I guess it's pheabus...)

Izanagi
05-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've preordered the Phoebus already. I like both music and gaming, but more on the gaming side. If the Phoebus can give me good sound for gaming and its not bad for listening to music, I'd gladly take the Phoebus. The noise canceling mic feature is just too captivating not to have :cool:. And again thanks for the responses.

Xtreme-Performance
05-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Well I read they have the ASUS USB for laptops... U3 I recall? I'm wondering if I could use that for a temp. or is it only available in laptops... Well it did say USB... lol so figured it worked in desktops too... It's too bad can't use it for items like MP3 that has usb? or rather does it work also for ipad and tablets?

Sorry for the off topic.. if it has some USB in sound card I'd assume this would be applied as well? lol

Raja@ASUS
05-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've preordered the Phoebus already. I like both music and gaming, but more on the gaming side. If the Phoebus can give me good sound for gaming and its not bad for listening to music, I'd gladly take the Phoebus. The noise canceling mic feature is just too captivating not to have :cool:. And again thanks for the responses.

I think it will do just great for you. EAX 5.0 supported, and the TPA opamps drive most cans really well including music playback. Use Hi-Fi mode for two channel music playback; that eliminates any unnecessary processing.

PALADiN
05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
hello,

Does that mean this card will support eax 3.0 (splinter cell), eax 4.0 (hitman 2) and Eax 5.0 for older games.

I always thought each new EAX revision was backwards compatible with the older ones.

Choum
05-04-2012, 04:17 PM
There are no backwards compatibility of EAX for asus.
80-90% of Eax games use EAX 3 or EAX 4.0.
Eax5.0 is though openal with very few game like Bf2, bioshock, mass Effect 1, (EAX was replace by OpenAL's EFX after 5 version).

"The GX 3.0 game audio engine boosts your performance with better legacy EAX® compatibility and immersive surround sound enhancement."

So there 's nothing better when compared to the xonar.

Raja@ASUS
05-04-2012, 07:53 PM
That depends if you base your entire purchasing decision upon EAX alone. Many good new titiles don't support EAX at all and sound great anyway. The spatial effects and soundstage depend upon several factors, including SNR, output impedance, slew rate etc. The Phoebus is a step up from previous Xonar gaming oriented cards.

kkn
05-05-2012, 01:31 PM
do i get 5.1 - 7.1 out on optics on that card?? ( IF there IS fiber optic out at all )
or do one have to buy the software from intel like the ch5? ( i did read that you have to ( on the forum ) )

yogibuh
06-20-2012, 08:00 PM
hello,

hello,

in Doom3 you can`t use eax4 :-(
dito. Splinter Cell : Double Agent

hmm, you need creatives