PDA

View Full Version : internet problem!

440hsp
04-25-2012, 05:18 PM
I need.some helpful advice from you tech savvy guys on here. As of lately my internet connection at home has been quirky to say the least. When i run speedtest of of my phone using the wifi i hit anywhere from 20 to 24 mbps download and 4 to 6 upload which is very good from what other companies were offering around here at a much higher price. I have comcast cable,internet, and security here. Now just a little while ago i was trying to download a few podcasts before i headed out the door and this thing was way tooooo slow. Now with my phone right beside my computer i ran speedtest on both devices and i got the good speeds( dropped a little i guess because i was using both devices on the wifi at the same time) on the phone and horrible speeds off the laptop. Less than 1 mbps down and around half that up. What the heck is going on here. I was thinking that maybe somehow the neighbors were using my wifi sucking up the bandwidth but i have a password that is needed to get in it. But i'm getting good readings from my phone though. A little frustrated. Any help would be appreciated. Ideas are welcome.

440hsp
04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Oh and i read on the internet that to try and see if someone was using my internet the first step was to get into ipconfig and get my ip address. Tried the first step and when i type in ipconfig the screen pops up and immediately goes away. So i got pissed and stopped because i couldn't get in.

fuzon1337
04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm not understanding what you're trying to say, is it that you don't get the speed that you're paying for ?

If your router is not password protected then you'll have to find it's ip.

Go to start menu, type "cmd" - open

Type in this command in cmd "ipconfig /all" (space between ipconfig(space)/all)

Look for standard gateway.

When you have found that ip, go to your web browser and type in http://192.168.xx.xx (example) enter.
Then you should access your router (perhaps you have insert username and password to access it's options)

If not do the same steps but use a network cable from the router to your notebook.

Also be sure to update your atheros wifi card if you have that in your notebook.

EDIT: I don't have the admin options on the router here in my house, since I have to get a cable to access it... but you have to find the "security" and set up a password. Also you should be able to see if others are connected on your internett.

BrodyBoy
04-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Someone else using your connection is unlikely, since it's password protected. (Though it's certainly wise to check the wireless client list in your router if you are really concerned about this.) And even if someone was using it, it's not apt to noticeably slow your connection. Your router should be able to easily handle many wireless clients without diminished quality to any of them.

Chances are, this is just the Atheros card being funky. But since you ordered a new WLAN card, I wouldn't even bother troubleshooting the Atheros.

440hsp
04-25-2012, 08:11 PM
True. My card is here so i'm about to install it and the ram. Wish me luck.lol

fuzon1337
04-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Then let us hope that the issue with slow speed on the internet get fixed as well :)

440hsp
04-25-2012, 09:38 PM
I hope so too.

440hsp
04-30-2012, 03:02 AM
ok guys i have the intel 6300 in and though the internet signal has boosted a little, what i dont understand is that i run speedtest on my phone and it blazes at anywhere from 22 to 24 mbps download and 3 to 3.5 upload. when i run the speedtest program on my laptop the highest i can get is 13 to 14 mbps and 2 to 3 mbps upload. i dont understand this crap. can someone chime in and maybe help me out here. just wondering if its something within the laptop. i.e. programming or something i'm missing that could be fixed.

dstrakele
04-30-2012, 05:05 AM
Post a couple Speedtest screenshots from phone and computer. Use the "Results" section of Speedtest that gives detailed info on the test. Be sure Mobile Network is switched off on your phone.

Be aware that Speedtest results can be quite variable. I've seen them vary by greater than 50% from high to low value from the same destination server with tests taken within the same minute.

aviwil
04-30-2012, 07:51 AM
440hsp - this info will be very helpful :
Connect your laptop with a LAN cable to the router , and see what results you're getting ( i.e. not wireless ) .

440hsp
04-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Ok guys. Will try the cable and i'll try and post some pics. I'll get back to you

dstrakele
04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
If the ethernet connection fails to exceed14 mbps download, you don't need to post screenshots.

BrodyBoy
04-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Ok guys. Will try the cable and i'll try and post some pics. I'll get back to you
Yeah....the point is that Speedtest measures internet speed, not wireless performance, so taking the wireless connection out of the loop is apt to give a more accurate evaluation of your internet connection.

440hsp
04-30-2012, 06:44 PM
ok guys. i plugged in a cat5 to the router and BAM, faster than it was on my phone. around 25 to 26 mbps download and 3 to 3.5 upload.
i tried the speedtest 10 different times all wit around the same results. then i unplugged the cat5 and ran the wifi and it went back to 14 mbps at the most. it seems that when it hits around 13 to 14 it just stops or hits a wall and it wont go past that point. sorry for not having pics. i was trying to do this in a hurry and get back to you guys. i will post pics in a minute when i can get everything uploaded

aviwil
04-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Well done 440hsp - what speed is your ISP package , by the way .
Try to run the wifi test with all other wireless/bluetooth etc. devices ( mouse ,phasar torpedoes etc . ) and LAN adaptor disabled . Is there possibly something else close to the laptop interfering with the wifi ? Have you tried it in different locations ?

440hsp
04-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Tried the laptop in my bedroom, the garage, the kitchen all with same results. Tried it right beside the router to see if it would change but all still the same. Same thing for my phone to see if it would change too. Still the same. I live in an apartment so there isnt many walls or things to interfere with signal. I'm definitely stumped here guys.

dstrakele
04-30-2012, 07:58 PM
1) If you LEFT-click on the wireless signal strength icon in your system tray on the right side of the taskbar, it will display a list of wireless networks. Mouse over your network and a small box with information about the network will be displayed. What is the "Radio Type:" displayed in that box?

2) As I understand it, the Intel 6300 will connect to either 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz networks. To which network are you currently connected on the computer and on the phone?

fuzon1337
04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Not sure what it's called perhaps I'm useing the right word (static ip), do you have a static IP or variable IP?

440hsp
04-30-2012, 08:12 PM
802.11n is the radio type. not sure about the static or variable ip. where can i find out?

fuzon1337
04-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Hmm first: I get 802.11g on the radio type...perhaps that is your issue ?

click on the wireless signal icon then click on "Open Network and Sharing Center"
Then click on "Wireless Networking" -> properties -> Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4).

EDIT:
Then you will see these two options:
Receive IP address automatically
Use the following IP address

If you have the receive IP address automatically then you have variable and you can change that....

Also: I'm useing "receive IP address automatically"

440hsp
04-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Oh and to dstrakele i dont know how to find out if i'm on 2.4ghz or 5ghz. Howw can i find that out?

440hsp
04-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Fusion1337 i went to open network and sharing but not sure where exactly to.find what you are talking about. Do i click on manage wireless connections to the top left of the page or do i click on wireless network connection (my network name)? Sorry if i'm asking not so smart questions. Just wanna be sure.

440hsp
04-30-2012, 09:07 PM
My laptop connects automatically when i'm in range of my router if that helps.

fuzon1337
04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
My laptop connects automatically when i'm in range of my router if that helps.

Hehe, that is normal when you have first signed into the router :)

I found a picture in google (http://www.cites.illinois.edu/sites/default/files/wireless/wpa2/graphics/win7-network-sharing-ctr.png) there can you see "wireless network connection (UIUCnet)" look for yours but with your network name on it and click on it :)

Then you should find properties and the rest of the steps :) :P

440hsp
04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Ok fusion1337 i.finally found the ipv4. Clicked on it and it says obtain an ip address automatically and obtain dns server automatically.

440hsp
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
I clicked the ipv6 off because it said on my computer unavailable.

fuzon1337
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Hmm... mine is not unavailable :S

Have you tried to use FixIT from microsoft before?
http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Click on Windows(logo) -> "connect to the internet or network" and see if any of the suggestions can fix the issue.
(Btw I'm not sure if you get the site on norwegian, so let us hope it's english) :P

440hsp
04-30-2012, 10:49 PM
hmmm. fixit isn't finding an problems and i went to troubleshooting thrugh the control panel too and still couldn't find anything. WTH is going on here????

fuzon1337
04-30-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm sorry for that none of my suggestions couldn't help out to fix your issue. I'm actually out of ideas about what you can do to fix your issue =/

If you install ubuntu on your notebook, then check if you get the same issue with the wifi speed. Then you will now if it is a windows related issue, if not then I don't know.

You could try to download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the register check (run it until it doesn't find any issues, and let us hope that can fix the issue). If you choose to download CCleaner be sure to uncheck for toolbar installation, unless you want it :P

dstrakele
04-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Is the same destination server being used in ALL your Speedtests?

440hsp
05-01-2012, 12:55 AM
Fusion 1337 i have ccleaner already and use it regularly. I've never used ubuntu before. I'll look into it. To dstrakele yes sir. Same server for every test. Phone and laptop.

440hsp
05-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Never used ubuntu. Scared to use it because i'm a windows user.

dstrakele
05-01-2012, 02:14 AM
What version driver are you running on that new Intel 6300? From the "Driver" tab of the card's Properties in Device Manager.

440hsp
05-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Dstrakele i'll look into that. I downloaded the one that brodyboy sent me in a reply he sent.

krodge
05-01-2012, 02:57 AM
Are you running these tests with your laptop in power saver mode and/or off the battery?

440hsp
05-01-2012, 03:02 AM
dstrakele i'm running version 14.3.0.6 to krodge i've been running all the tests in whether plugged or unplugged in poer4 gear settings. not so great for battery life but i always have my charging cord nearby.

440hsp
05-01-2012, 03:12 AM
guys i got a few questions here. the latest driver software i'm seeing on intels site for the 6300 is from nov.11 2011 and it's a 13.4 version. HUH??? Why dont they have the latest drivers on thier site or am i just looking in the wrong place? lololol (likely). oh and can someone offer some helpful info on ubuntu?

krodge
05-01-2012, 03:26 AM
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Ultimate-N+6300

These should be the latest drivers. Here's hoping that's the issue.

440hsp
05-01-2012, 03:38 AM
thank you krodge for that help. drivers are now updated to 15.1. ran the dang speedtest again a few times and still cant get above 13.9 download speeds. this is really friggin frustrating. i'm not the most tech savvy guy by no means but when i run this rig thru a cat 5 directly and it hits no less than 25 mbps and then to wifi and i get an epic fail i just dont understand. especially when i now have a better card in here. i guess back to the drawing board.

440hsp
05-01-2012, 03:41 AM
there has got to be something to fix this. i dont think i was getting better speeds with the atheros card either. but if worse comes to worse i guess i can put the atheros card back in and try it then. i just dont wanna have to do that.

krodge
05-01-2012, 04:07 AM
Left click on the wifi icon next to the clock, and right click on your network name, then click status. What does it say for speed?

440hsp
05-01-2012, 04:48 AM
65mbps is what it says

aviwil
05-01-2012, 04:55 AM
440hsp - have you disabled all wireless devices ( including phone ) and then tested .
Were laptop , wireless cards , router and phone , all purchased in same country ?

440hsp
05-01-2012, 05:08 AM
Yes sir. All devices turned off except for laptop. Tried the phone on the wifi with the laptop on the wifi at the same time and i was still getting 22 to 23 mbps download so i'm baffeled right now. Like i said earlier when i run the speedtest with the laptop once it hits around 12 to 13 mbps it seems to hit a wall and wont climb any higher like it did with the cat5 pluggd in where it was 25 to 26 through multiple tests. Would any of this maybe be a problem with the bios. I dont think i've ever updated it and dont even know what version i'm running. How would i find it and be able to fix it if so?

aviwil
05-01-2012, 05:13 AM
440hsp - there are a few standards out there for wireless - you may have some sort of mismatch here .
I think your best bet would be to get hold of someone who really knows his stuff at your router support . Have models etc of all involved devices ready - he may well be able to configure the router to rectify it - but that is for an expert to do . What router is it , BTW ?

440hsp
05-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Running a netgear rangemax wireless n 150 router. If anyone on here that has some knowledge on this issue please chime in. Really stumped right now.

440hsp
05-01-2012, 05:26 AM
I'll contact the router support in the morning when i get up.

dstrakele
05-01-2012, 05:31 AM
I wouldn't go so far as putting the Atheros card back in, but you did connect BOTH antennas when you installed the 6300, correct?

Take a look at all 5 pages of this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/windows-7-64bit-very-slow-download-speeds/104e4f47-9968-4095-932b-bc451cdd4800

There are a number of things within it you can try. Be methodical, so you can UNDO any changes that have no effect.

440hsp
05-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Yes sir both antennas. I might have figured out a problem or the problem. I've read several reviews where people have said that my router if not setup during install correctly the router automatically sets itself by default to 65 mbps when all you have to do is change it in the setup. My wife set this up while i was offshore working because our other router went out while i was gone. I also read that they are not setup for 64 bit systems. Now what type of 64 bit system they are referring to i'm not sure but it says that you can change that also. I will look into this more tomorrow and hope that its just some small changes needed with the router.

aviwil
05-01-2012, 05:51 AM
440hsp - do yourself a big favour - leave the router configuring to an expert at Netgear - he will know exactly what to do .

dstrakele
05-01-2012, 05:53 AM
I believe they are referring to the Windows 7 64-bit OS on your laptop. Also check out the thread I referenced in my previous post, if setting up your router fails to resolve the issue.

fuzon1337
05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Never used ubuntu. Scared to use it because i'm a windows user.

I know that feeling I am like that my self :P

oh and can someone offer some helpful info on ubuntu?
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

440hsp
05-01-2012, 03:51 PM
You know fusion1337 i read up on it and it may be good for others but as of right now i would probably complicate things more by adding another o.s. To my rig. Because as i'm finding out i dont know enough about windows 7 yet. Lololol

440hsp
05-02-2012, 10:24 AM
What i think i'm going to do is just a clean win7 install and start back over. I might wait to do this when i get my ssd and do it all at once. I haven't made up my mind yet. I'll move all my programs i like over to my ext. hdd and start fresh to see if my speed comes back up. Only question i have is if i use the factory win 7 install will i get the bloatware like i would if i used the recovery cd's?

PILGRIM
05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
...Only question i have is if i use the factory win 7 install will i get the bloatware like i would if i used the recovery cd's?

Yes, a factory restore reverts to the OS plus all ASUS stuff that you've seen
the very first time you powered on your G74.

dstrakele
05-02-2012, 01:05 PM
A restore from the ASUS hidden partition using F9 will produce identical results to using the recovery DVD's, only faster. Both restore all the ASUS Bloatware.

There were a number of recommendations in the article I referenced previously which can be done without a restore.

440hsp
05-02-2012, 11:34 PM
dstrakele i tried many of the fixes in the article with nothing helping. the only thing i didn't get to do was mess with my router or call netgear to see if maybe it needed a firmware update or whatnot because i'm back in the gulf of mexico working again for another week. i'm very baffled to why i cant seem to get this firgured out. whether it's a windows problem or a problem with hardware or what. i don't understand but thank you for that article. it led me to read many others just like it. so i tried using many of the other fixes that people were trying with some good results. i am going to buy a different router though. looking at the top of the line netgear because my wife and i have always had good luck with them

440hsp
05-03-2012, 12:16 AM
ok guys. now i'm having a different issue here. now while i'm at work using the company wifi ( which i've never had a problem with before) is shutting off on it's own after around 10 minutes at a time. then i have to disconnect and reconnect to get it to work again. i think that somewhere along the lines of trying alot of fixes to repair my slow download speed i may have messed something up. this has got me a little worried. HELP PLEASE!

dstrakele
05-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Are you matching Security and Encryption of your company's router? Otherwise it may be disconnecting you as a matter of security.

If they are correctly set, you might try switching from n protocol to b/g.

440hsp
05-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Yeah i was on 802.1n. One of the fixes i read about was switching to 802.11 a/n/g i believe. So i tried that. I'll have to look at changing that back.

dstrakele
05-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Switching protocols will probably be located in the "Advanced" tab of your Intel 6300 Properties in Device Manager. On my Atheros card, the setting is called "Wireless Mode Selection". I suspect the Intel setting will sound similar.

JerJer123
05-03-2012, 02:10 AM
I had a similar problem like yours before. For me, it was the router that was causing the problem. This happened with a brand new router as well - a netgear N600 to be exact. Download and upload speeds were drastically slow when I was connected via wireless, but they went back to normal when I connected my laptop directly to my modem. I had to send my router in to them, because according to them (netgear), there was a hardware issue with the router.

Well, they sent me a new one, and I had the same problems...Speeds were slow, youtube videos took forever to load (I have comcast internet 20mbps down 3mps up). So I just said to hell with it and went back to my old router (a linksys wrt54g2)- which worked fine before I got a new one in the first place - and BAM, problem solved!

My speeds went back to normal, as I should be getting. And strangely enough, I even got a better signal with the older router than with the new one. So I think your router might be your problem to be honest. I could be wrong though. I won't be buying another netgear device though. I think linksys is a better brand in terms of reliability.

440hsp
05-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Yeah i have been reading about firmware issues with netgear. Since i'm buying a better router anyway i will look into the linksys too but as always i've heard issues with them too. I need a larger one anyway because my wife uses her phone and her macbook, i use my phone, laptop,xbox,my wireless headset, and my ps3 off the wifi in my house. Sometimes several at the same time. I need a dual band router anyway for some of my devices. I know the wireless card i have is one of the best and i want to see it get to use its potential so to speak.

440hsp
05-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Dstrakele i will look into that and see what i come up with.

440hsp
05-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Im sorry dstrakele. I have 802.1n enabled along with a/b/g

dstrakele
05-03-2012, 03:52 AM
My recommendation would be to choose the "b/g" setting if one is available - to disable the "n" protocol - just to see if it makes a difference.

440hsp
05-03-2012, 12:19 PM
will try that dstrakele and i'll get back to you later today.

440hsp
05-06-2012, 02:57 AM
hey dstrakele i'm sorry i never got back with you. still offshore working and not going in until tuesday. i did however order the new cisco linksys e4500 router because i read some good reviews on it. hopefully my download speed issue is a compatability issue with my laptop. i also ordered a Crucial M4 256 gb ssd. looking to do a clean install of win 7. the crucial ssd comes with a data transfer cable and cd to ( i guess) transfer everything over like it is on my hdd now but i dont want it that way. i want the few programs i need to play my games and be able to watch my blu ray movies and things along those lines. i was looking into using the windows tool with the usb stick. also need to know what drivers and things that i do need on my laptop to get everything up and running smooth. guys i know that this is probably on this forum 100 times over and i have read people installing new ssd's but is there a guide telling you exactly what to do,what drivers to download, and what programs to keep and what not to keep as in once the ssd is installed. i just need a link if there is and it would be greatly appreciated. i just wanna make sure that i have all my I's dotted and t's crossed before i brick my computer by accident. lolol

440hsp
05-06-2012, 03:09 AM
hey dstrakele i'm sorry i never got back with you. still offshore working and not going in until tuesday. i did however order the new cisco linksys e4500 router because i read some good reviews on it. hopefully my download speed issue is a compatability issue with my laptop. i also ordered a Crucial M4 256 gb ssd. looking to do a clean install of win 7. the crucial ssd comes with a data transfer cable and cd to ( i guess) transfer everything over like it is on my hdd now but i dont want it that way. i want the few programs i need to play my games and be able to watch my blu ray movies and things along those lines. i was looking into using the windows tool with the usb stick. also need to know what drivers and things that i do need on my laptop to get everything up and running smooth. guys i know that this is probably on this forum 100 times over and i have read people installing new ssd's but is there a guide telling you exactly what to do,what drivers to download, and what programs to keep and what not to keep as in once the ssd is installed. i just need a link if there is and it would be greatly appreciated. i just wanna make sure that i have all my I's dotted and t's crossed before i brick my computer by accident. lolol

dstrakele
05-06-2012, 04:05 AM
I recommend you check out this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11314-SSD-installation& and the threads referenced within it. Concentrate on the posts by BrodyBoy, and let us know if you have any questions.

440hsp
05-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks again dstrakele

440hsp
05-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Oh man. I'm confused. Lolol it's a lot to take in after reading all that. I know it will probably seem simpler once i have completed the ssd install and moved all my user data to the d drive but man, dstrakele i guess i'm worried more so of not moving everything properly to the d drive to have everything like it is on my laptop now but just faster. Lolol. I'm sure it will be simple enough installing the ssd. Then getting the os on the new drive but what drivers will i need and when will i need to install them? After the install??? I'm sure i will be contacting you and brodyboy quite often to make sure i get this down properly.

dstrakele
05-07-2012, 06:14 AM
After you install your new SSD, you have several choices on how to install Windows 7 to it:

A) Copy (migrate and clone are other verbs you may see to describe this process) the existing OS partition from your HDD to the SSD.

B) Use the Ai Recovery DVD's to install a new ASUS Factory version of Windows with all the ASUS Bloatware.

C) Install a brand new "clean" instance of Windows.

It sounds like you're interested in option A. This will not require any driver installations since all the drivers will be copied from your OS installation on the HDD. In fact, option C is the only one requiring driver installations.

Here is a referenced link from the previous thread I gave you that deals specifically with that option: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8618-G74SX-XN1-SSD-installation&

In your current OS installation, have you installed applications to a partition other than your OS partition? If you always choose the default install path, that answer will be "No".

Since this is no longer an "internet problem", it would be more helpful to others if you posted your new questions about installing Windows to a new SSD to a new thread.

440hsp
05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
No problem. I'll write out a new thread.Sorry about that. but yes all my information is on my c-drive. i would like to do just the os on my ssd and everything else on my hdd but i'll look into it a little further once i get home. thanks again.