PDA

View Full Version : transfering to new HDD

mohannad
04-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi I bought new ASUS laptop also i bought seagate Momentus XT 750gb my laptop come also with normal HDD 750GB with win7home i want ask if i install Momentus XT how i can move same windows with all ASUS app from the old drive to Momentus XT? also how i can move the hidden recovery drive to new Momentus XT?

please give best solution

if i use Asus AI Recovery and burn it to Blank DVD it's ok? cuz still the system new and i don't save any files or using it ..

if this option ok can you tell me how to use 4 dvd after that ? i mean after install the new seagate Momentus XT 750gb

restrat the laptop and what ? hit any button exactly ?

thank you

OmegaMan
04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
I must say that I'm not using that one for my backups, still, insert the first DVD in your optical drive and press F11 on boot sequence, that is provided that the system recognizes your drive and doesn't need to install new drivers for that one. Other than that I would have plugged both drives in, and installed Acronis, or you can also run Acronis true home 2012 from a boot CD, still haven't tried that one either.

In short if you use AI recovery, then you remove the "old" drive ,to replace lit with the new one, try pressing F11 on startup that should boot in the recovery mode.

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm sorry to interject, OmegaMan, but those instructions are not correct. Perhaps you misunderstood the OP's question.

Anyway, mohammed, welcome to the Forum. What you want to do is pretty easy and straightforward....it just takes a little while, that's all. Here's how you transfer your entire OEM Windows installation and the recovery partition to your new drive.

Make a set of DVD recovery disks with the AI Recovery program. (Be sure to label/number the disks as you go.)
Physically replace the existing OEM hard drive with your new Seagate drive. Disconnect or remove the 2nd HDD while you restore your installation to your new Momentus drive.
Power up and hit ESC immediately & repeatedly to access the boot menu.
Put recovery DIsk #1 in the optical drive, and select the optical drive boot option from the on-screen menu. This will start the Asus Preload Wizard.
Choose your language.
Accept the info on the warning pages by clicking "Next" through them.
The final option page of the Preload Wizard asks how you want to partition the new drive. There are three options....in your case, with a brand new drive, only options 2 & 3 apply:
<< Recover Windows to entire HD >> This option creates the 25Gb recovery partition, then makes one big partition on the rest of the drive and installs Windows onto it.
<< Recover Windows to the entire HD with two partitions >> This option creates the 25Gb recovery partition, then makes two partitions from the remaining disk space. The first will be your C: drive and Windows will be installed there. The second partition will be your D: drive and will be empty.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/SysRestore_1-1.png
After the initial wizard, there is NO input required on your part, other than watching for prompts to insert recovery DVDs. This process takes a long time...about two hours....and you need to stay around to swap DVDs, but otherwise, don't touch anything or interrupt the restore process in any way.
Be sure that you let the process run all the way to completion. It's over when the first-time-use wizard remains stable on the screen, with no disk activity, for at least five minutes.

After this, your new drive will be just like the original one as it came from the factory. It'll have the 25Gb recovery partition, followed by your OS partition (and a data partition, if you chose that option).

When you are assured that the recovery was successful onto your new drive, pop the back open and reconnect or reinstall your secondary hard drive. You will want to format and re-partition it if you want to use it as a data drive.

mohannad
04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry to interject, OmegaMan, but those instructions are not correct. Perhaps you misunderstood the OP's question.

Anyway, mohammed, welcome to the Forum. What you want to do is pretty easy and straightforward....it just takes a little while, that's all. Here's how you transfer your entire OEM Windows installation and the recovery partition to your new drive.

Make a set of DVD recovery disks with the AI Recovery program. (Be sure to label/number the disks as you go.)
Physically replace the existing OEM hard drive with your new Seagate drive. Disconnect or remove the 2nd HDD while you restore your installation to your new Momentus drive.
Power up and hit ESC immediately & repeatedly to access the boot menu.
Put recovery DIsk #1 in the optical drive, and select the optical drive boot option from the on-screen menu. This will start the Asus Preload Wizard.
Choose your language.
Accept the info on the warning pages by clicking "Next" through them.
The final option page of the Preload Wizard asks how you want to partition the new drive. There are three options....in your case, with a brand new drive, only options 2 & 3 apply:
<< Recover Windows to entire HD >> This option creates the 25Gb recovery partition, then makes one big partition on the rest of the drive and installs Windows onto it.
<< Recover Windows to the entire HD with two partitions >> This option creates the 25Gb recovery partition, then makes two partitions from the remaining disk space. The first will be your C: drive and Windows will be installed there. The second partition will be your D: drive and will be empty.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/SysRestore_1-1.png
After the initial wizard, there is NO input required on your part, other than watching for prompts to insert recovery DVDs. This process takes a long time...about two hours....and you need to stay around to swap DVDs, but otherwise, don't touch anything or interrupt the restore process in any way.
Be sure that you let the process run all the way to completion. It's over when the first-time-use wizard remains stable on the screen, with no disk activity, for at least five minutes.

After this, your new drive will be just like the original one as it came from the factory. It'll have the 25Gb recovery partition, followed by your OS partition (and a data partition, if you chose that option).

When you are assured that the recovery was successful onto your new drive, pop the back open and reconnect or reinstall your secondary hard drive. You will want to format and re-partition it if you want to use it as a data drive.

perfect

thank you very much

also thank you OmegaMan for try help

thanks again i will start this now and reply when i finish

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 07:20 PM
The one mistake that people tend to make with a factory restore is not letting it finish. The computer restarts many, many times, and in its later stages, it often looks like it's probably done....so I think some people assume it is. But interrupting it causes various driver issues and generally means you have to do the whole thing over again.

This is why I suggested you make sure the it's sitting on the first-use wizard and no longer doing anything before you conclude that it's done. Assume it'll take a good 2-3 hours.....

mohannad
04-26-2012, 08:32 PM
hi

i finish transferring but actually i don't use asus ai recovery ...

i found another app from seagate (Seagate DiscWizard) and i want share my experience with you

http://seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

it's take 20 min to take backup and 20 min to restore it from boot and i put the image file in external HDD so no need to use DVD ...restore every think and laptop now same as when i run it first time from asus factory nothing changed

very fast and safe and good

thank you guys

OmegaMan
04-27-2012, 12:37 AM
[QUOTE=BrodyBoy;97920]I'm sorry to interject, OmegaMan, but those instructions are not correct. Perhaps you misunderstood the OP's question.

No probs, that wasn't accurate enough, still not what the user entended to do at all.