PDA

View Full Version : HELP - How to Migrate from old SSD to new SSD?

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 06:54 PM
I have the Intel Migration Software. But the thing is, Iunno how to migrate exactly.

I mean, I have the standard SSD that's supplied with the G74SX, but there's also the HDD that's connected. Do I remove the HDD and put the new SSD in, and then do a direct migration, and then remove the old SSD and put the HDD back?

Or can I just create an image on a DVD or a virtual mount, and then put that on the SSD?

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 06:55 PM
So you just want to move your Windows installation from one SSD to a different one? Are they the same size?

fuzon1337
04-26-2012, 07:01 PM
@AdelaisAer did you go for the Intel SSD 520 180GB ?

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes. I want to migrate EVERYTHING from the old SSD to the new one.

And yes, I went with the Intel SSD 520 180GB.

Old one is 160GB, albeit only 128GB of it is usable. The new one is 180GB.

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Okay, that's pretty easy then. You can just use Windows' own built-in utilities:

Use Windows Backup & Restore to make a system image. Save it onto your 2nd HDD, an external HDD, or some DVDs. Select the option to also create a Windows Repair disk. (So you will need at least one blank DVD.)
Power down and physically swap the old SSD with the new one.
Power up and press ESC immediately to access the boot menu. Place the Windows Repair Disk in your optical drive, and select the optical drive option from boot menu.
Select the option "Restore your computer using a system image you created earlier."
You'll be asked locate the image, and where you want to install it. Restore to your new SSD.

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Okay, that's pretty easy then. You can just use Windows' own built-in utilities:

Use Windows Backup & Restore to make a system image. Save it onto your 2nd HDD, an external HDD, or some DVDs. Select the option to also create a Windows Repair disk. (So you will need at least one blank DVD.)
Power down and physically swap the old SSD with the new one.
Power up and press ESC immediately to access the boot menu. Place the Windows Repair Disk in your optical drive, and select the optical drive option from boot menu.
Select the option "Restore your computer using a system image you created earlier."
You'll be asked locate the image, and where you want to install it. Restore to your new SSD.

For the Windows Repair Disc, does it have to be a DVD/Blu-Ray, or can I create the Windows Repair Disc on my HDD? As stupid as that question sounds....lol.

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 07:22 PM
For the Windows Repair Disc, does it have to be a DVD/Blu-Ray, or can I create the Windows Repair Disc on my HDD? As stupid as that question sounds....lol.
It has to be a CD or DVD optical disk. (Hey....there aren't any stupid questions! :))

EDIT: I bet it could also work on a USB thumbdrive....but I've never tried so I don't know if that requires any special tricks.

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 07:24 PM
It has to be a CD or DVD optical disk. (Hey....there aren't any stupid questions! :))

Alright. So, Windows Backup & Restore -> Create image of SSD, -> Save to HDD -> Create Windows Repair Disc -> Shut Down -> Swap SSD's -> Turn On -> Boot Menu -> Boot from Disc -> Restore using Image -> Done.

OH, and I have a couple of DVDs, they are 4.7GB each. Will that be enough?

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Oh yeah....the Repair Disk just takes one.

(It's a good idea to have one of these around for emergencies anyway, so just store it somewhere when you're done with it.)

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Oh yeah....the Repair Disk just takes one.

(It's a good idea to have one of these around for emergencies anyway, so just store it somewhere when you're done with it.)

Alright. Thank you SO much! :D I'll brb in however long this takes. If I don't, I failed miserably. xD

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 07:32 PM
You'll be fine! :)

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 09:52 PM
I'M DONE, FINALLY. A few issues, though:

ISSUE #1: It kinda seems a bit slower right now. :S Maybe because it's new? Updated Intel SSD Toolbox to the latest version, ran Optimizer and all the other stuff. Maybe it's just me.

ISSUE #2: The allocated space is still 128GB. Turns out there's a RECOVERY partition, albeit hidden. Is there a way to change that?

EDIT: Checked the partitions in Disc Management. There's 18GB unallocated, wtf?

fuzon1337
04-26-2012, 10:14 PM
There is a firmware update for that SSD: Intel® SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363&ProdId=3472&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%20*&DownloadType=Firmware)

And here is two Utilities, Tools and Examples (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Solid+State+Drives+and+Caching&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+High+Performance+Solid+Sta te+Drive&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+SSD+520+Series+(180GB%2 c+2.5in+SATA+6Gb%2fs%2c+25nm%2c+MLC)&ProdId=3472&LineId=3014&FamilyId=3124)

Also be sure to download Intel Rapid Storage Technology, if you don't have that :)

Hmm.... the recovery partition shouldn't take more space when the old SSD have 160GB or what it was, but since you now have the maked discs with recovery on and the first disc available with the recovery partition on, so there should be no problem removing that partition on the new SSD :)

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 10:18 PM
There is a firmware update for that SSD: Intel® SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363&ProdId=3472&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%20*&DownloadType=Firmware)

And here is two Utilities, Tools and Examples (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Solid+State+Drives+and+Caching&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+High+Performance+Solid+Sta te+Drive&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+SSD+520+Series+%28180GB %2c+2.5in+SATA+6Gb%2fs%2c+25nm%2c+MLC%29&ProdId=3472&LineId=3014&FamilyId=3124)

Also be sure to download Intel Rapid Storage Technology, if you don't have that :)

Hmm.... the recovery partition shouldn't take more space when the old SSD have 160GB or what it was, but since you now have the maked discs with recovery on and the first disc available with the recovery partition on, so there should be no problem removing that partition on the new SSD :)

What's Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

Also, how do I remove that unallocated partition?

fuzon1337
04-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Intel Rapid Storage Technology (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=20624&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss) is a utility that makes your HDD/SSD to work faster :)

I haven't done all these things myself so this is new too me.

Well, not to make your OCD worse.....but even if you merge it, you're not putting Windows at the beginning of the drive, where it should be. :( To thoroughly resolve that problem, here's how I'd go about it:

Save a system image of your C: drive (onto a set of DVDs or an external hard drive, and don't forget to make a recovery disc)
Boot from your Windows Installer disc
Clean and re-format your hard drive
Use the recovery disc to restore the system image onto the newly-formatted hard drive

PS: To be clear, Windows won't use that space before it on the hard drive, even if you merge it. It wants to be the first thing on its partition.

Click on the blue arrows to go to the thread, perhaps you can see if there is any other ways to remove that partition

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Intel Rapid Storage Technology (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=20624&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss) is a utility that makes your HDD/SSD to work faster :)

I haven't done all these things myself so this is new too me.

Click on the blue arrows to go to the thread, perhaps you can see if there is any other ways to remove that partition

Well, the way it's showing for me is like this:

25GB Main Partition //// 124GB OS: System, Boot, Active, Crash, Dump, Primary Partition //// 18.63GB UNALLOCATED

So if I combined the Primary OS and Unallocated, they'll become 142GB or something? But is that bad that it's listed second, right after the 25GB Main Partition?

fuzon1337
04-26-2012, 10:49 PM
If I'm not wrong the 25GB main partition is the hidden recovery partition.

As I could understand from what @Brodyboy said in the other thread (with quote) is that you want to have the Windows as the first partition and not the second or third. But you will not be able to get Windows over to the first partition since you can not merge those seperated partitions.... I can be very wrong, but this is what I understood from reading some of the posts in the other thread.

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 10:53 PM
If I'm not wrong the 25GB main partition is the hidden recovery partition.

As I could understand from what @Brodyboy said in the other thread (with quote) is that you want to have the Windows as the first partition and not the second or third. But you will not be able to get Windows over to the first partition since you can not merge those seperated partitions.... I can be very wrong, but this is what I understood from reading some of the posts in the other thread.

So basically, what I have to do is, create an image of my system. AGAIN. Restart and use the Repair CD, reformat and copy-paste the image, and that will somehow rearrange the partitions?

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Well, the way it's showing for me is like this:

25GB Main Partition //// 124GB OS: System, Boot, Active, Crash, Dump, Primary Partition //// 18.63GB UNALLOCATED

So if I combined the Primary OS and Unallocated, they'll become 142GB or something? But is that bad that it's listed second, right after the 25GB Main Partition?
Yes, if you go into Disk Management and right-click on the OS partition, one of your options is to extend it. If you accept all the default options of the wizard that opens, it will add all the available space to the OS partition.

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Is the problem that you included the recovery partition in your image, and now you don;t want it?

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Yes, if you go into Disk Management and right-click on the OS partition, one of your options is to extend it. If you accept all the default options of the wizard that opens, it will add all the available space to the OS partition.

I've combined it, so now it's 142.68GB. However, the 25GB partition in front of it still exists. What do?

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Is the problem that you included the recovery partition in your image, and now you don;t want it?

The problem is that I have a 25GB partition in front of my OS partition. I want my full 180GB. :( I can't expand the OS partition. I can delete the 25GB partition, but Iunno if that'll fully fix my problem. Sec, let me get a screenshot.

As you can see, there's a small 25GB partition. Don't want it. Want my full 180GB. :(http://i46.tinypic.com/21e8g9t.png

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Yes. I want to migrate EVERYTHING from the old SSD to the new one.

Not so? ;)

If you didn't want the recovery partition, it needed to be specifically excluded from this process. Is it that big a deal to have it? If you really don't want it, you do need to re-image just the C: partition without the recovery partition, re-format the SSD, and restore the image.

Go ahead and delete the recovery partition....but you still need to re-image if you want to use that 25Gb space before Windows. You can't add it to the beginning of the OS partition and actually use it.

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Not so? ;)

If you didn't want the recovery partition, it needed to be specifically excluded from this process. Is it that big a deal to have it? If you really don't want it, you do need to re-image just the C: partition without the recovery partition, re-format the SSD, and restore the image.

Too late now. xD I did the migration like half an hour ago, maybe an hour. Didn't even realize. >__<;

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Now that you're an old pro at it, it won't take all that long to make a new image and restore it to the whole drive.

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 11:08 PM
now that you're an old pro at it, it won't take all that long to make a new image and restore it to the whole drive.

;____________; so i have to do everything all over again just so windows can rearrange the partitions so i can expand the os into the 25gb? *cryyyyyy*

gilbert
04-26-2012, 11:16 PM
LOL , yup brodyboy is right and yup you have to do it all over again if you want those 25gb ......

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 11:21 PM
lol , yup brodyboy is right and yup you have to do it all over again if you want those 25gb ......

*emo* oh my god. Create image...use recovery cd, restart, boot from cd, wipe everything out and reformat and recover from image...somehow rearranges the partitions.....expand os parition....done?

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 11:22 PM
;____________; so i have to do everything all over again just so windows can rearrange the partitions so i can expand the os into the 25gb? *cryyyyyy*
C'mon now....this isn't Windows fault! You said you wanted to migrate EVERYTHING. You did...successfully. :)

Recommendation: Move your personal data files to a different drive first...there's no point in including them in your system image. Shrink the OS drive to the smallest you can make it (in DIsk Management). Then make your system image of only that partition. (Making the partition smaller, and removing extraneous files, makes all this go faster.) Restore the image to the SSD. Extend the OS partition to use the whole drive. This really shouldn't take all that long.

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 11:25 PM
...somehow rearranges the partitions.....
It doesn't rearrange the partitions. It simply restores the image you made to the space you designate. The first time, your image included the recovery partition, so that got restored to the SSD, right before the OS partition, where it belonged. This time, your image will only include the OS partition, so that is all that will be restored to the SSD.

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 11:25 PM
C'mon now....this isn't Windows fault! You said you wanted to migrate EVERYTHING. You did...successfully. :)

Recommendation: Move your personal data files to a different drive first...there's no point in including them in your system image. Shrink the OS drive to the smallest you can make it (in DIsk Management). Then make your system image of only that partition. (Making the partition smaller, and removing extraneous files, makes all this go faster.) Restore the image to the SSD. Extend the OS partition to use the whole drive. This really shouldn't take all that long.

I guess. I have too much crap on my OS partition, though. Personal stuff, that is. All my games are on my D: drive, which is a partition on my HDD. But still, moving all that will take just as long, so I might just do this normally. xD Well, alright. HERE I GO......*headdesk* I hate this. Lol.

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 11:28 PM
I guess. I have too much crap on my OS partition, though. Personal stuff, that is. All my games are on my D: drive, which is a partition on my HDD. But still, moving all that will take just as long, so I might just do this normally. xD Well, alright. HERE I GO......*headdesk* I hate this. Lol.
This is one of the reasons it's a good idea to keep all those personal files on a separate drive. Keeping the Windows partition "clean & mean" makes it run better and makes it easier to back it up on a regular basis....which means you're more likely to actually do it. ;)

AdelaisAer
04-27-2012, 12:43 AM
It didn't work! ;_____; THAT STUPID 25GB PARTITION IS STILL IN FRONT. Wtffffffffffff....or did I do something wrong.

BrodyBoy
04-27-2012, 12:52 AM
It didn't work! ;_____; THAT STUPID 25GB PARTITION IS STILL IN FRONT. Wtffffffffffff....or did I do something wrong.
It would be easier if you keep the whole discussion of your current SSD issue in one thread. (The two are mostly redundant and there's no advantage to having two separate threads trynig to carry on the same conversation.)

Again....did you get rid of the recovery partition first? Did you re-formate the whole SSD? And is the old SSD in the machine while you're doing all this?

AdelaisAer
04-27-2012, 12:58 AM
It would be easier if you keep the whole discussion of your current SSD issue in one thread. (The two are mostly redundant and there's no advantage to having two separate threads trynig to carry on the same conversation.)

Again....did you get rid of the recovery partition first? Did you re-formate the whole SSD? And is the old SSD in the machine while you're doing all this?

Sorry about that. >_<; Iunno which of the threads to use now as the main one. :S But I guess we can stick to this one.

I am not even touching the old SSD anymore. It's in a box on a shelf now. No, I didn't delete the 25GB partition prior to making the image, and now I hate my life because i realize I should have done that. Lol...

BrodyBoy
04-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Okay, cool...we'll keep it here.

................I hate my life.
lol! ;) I know the feeling....but this, too, shall pass.

Look on the bright side.....if you take this opportunity to re-arrange your files so that your personal data files aren't on the OS drive, your Windows installation will be cleaner and easier to move, back-up, etc. And....next time you need to do this whole transfer thingy, you're gonna be SUCH a pro!

BrodyBoy
04-27-2012, 01:12 AM
The thing is, though, I have Windows folders like My Pictures, My Music, etc., which I prefer to use, due to easier access. So I don't keep them on separate drives. Games, on the other hand, all go on my 7200rpm HDD.

Well, anyway, brb. Gonna try again. *sigh*
Ah, see that's the thing. You can move all those folders to your secondary drive and continue to use them the way you do now. They don't have to be on the OS drive...that's just where Windows installs them by default, because it has no way to know what other data drives you might have or use.

Basically, you open Windows Explorer, and drag those folders to their new locations. In the "Libraries" section, just have make sure that your default save locations (for various file types) are set to the locations you want.

(Example: The "Pictures" library can include whatever folders you want, but just one of them will be set as the default save location for image files. So if you drag the "My Photos" folder to the 2nd drive, you open the "Pictures" library properties and edit the listed locations to include that new location, and set it to the default, if that's what you want.)

AdelaisAer
04-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Ah, see that's the thing. You can move all those folders to your secondary drive and continue to use them the way you do now. They don't have to be on the OS drive...that's just where Windows installs them by default, because it has no way to know what other data drives you might have or use.

Basically, you open Windows Explorer, and drag those folders to their new locations. In the "Libraries" section, just have make sure that your default save locations (for various file types) are set to the locations you want.

(Example: The "Pictures" library can include whatever folders you want, but just one of them will be set as the default save location for image files. So if you drag the "My Photos" folder to the 2nd drive, you open the "Pictures" library properties and edit the listed locations to include that new location, and set it to the default, if that's what you want.)

IT. IS. STILL. THERE. I deleted the 25GB partition, it became unallocated. Reformatted, repasted the image. The unallocated 25GB partition is STILL in front of the OS partition. WHAT DO I DO NOW. X___X; *EMO*

BrodyBoy
04-27-2012, 02:12 AM
IT. IS. STILL. THERE. I deleted the 25GB partition, it became unallocated. Reformatted, repasted the image. The unallocated 25GB partition is STILL in front of the OS partition. WHAT DO I DO NOW. X___X; *EMO*
I'm thinking you must be selecting the option (in System Restore) to only restore to the existing system partition.

There is a box that you can check, or not, that says "Select this to delete any existing partitions and reformat all disks on this computer to match the layout of the system image." You must check that box.....do you remember whether you did or not?

AdelaisAer
04-27-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm thinking you must be selecting the option (in System Restore) to only restore to the existing system partition.

There is a box that you can check, or not, that says "Select this to delete any existing partitions and reformat all disks on this computer to match the layout of the system image." You must check that box.....do you remember whether you did or not?

I am pretty sure I did. It's in ADVANCED, right? In the last window right before the whole shabang begins. Yes, both options were checked.

Is there anything else I can do...? What does new simple volume do? Will that help?

BrodyBoy
04-27-2012, 02:24 AM
No, I don't think it's under the "Advanced...". Rather, it's on the same page as that "Advanced..." button.

Unfortunately, I'm heading out the door to go to a movie soon, but basically, you need to:

Make sure that your system image includes ONLY the C: partition....no other partitions.
Make sure that your SSD is cleared of all previous partitions prior to being overwritten.

This should ensure that only the C: partition is written to the new drive, and that it's the first thing on it.

AdelaisAer
04-27-2012, 02:26 AM
I tried that. But when I try to do backup, it forces me to do backup of D as well, not that it should even matter. Also, I did everything you said. :S So Iunno...but I'll try one last time...

God, I hope I am not destroying my new SSD's health by doing so much formatting.

AdelaisAer
04-27-2012, 03:29 AM
Okay, I did every single thing you said. I even checked that one box. Still didn't help. 25GB allocated space right in front of the OS section. Did everything you told me to. Iunno. I give up. I am escalating this to Intel Support.

BrodyBoy
04-27-2012, 05:37 AM
I tried that. But when I try to do backup, it forces me to do backup of D as well, not that it should even matter. Also, I did everything you said. :S So Iunno...but I'll try one last time...

God, I hope I am not destroying my new SSD's health by doing so much formatting.
Don't worry....your SSD is very robust. This stuff won't hurt it.

This doesn't have anything to do with Intel....so I don't see how they could help you. There are only two possibilities here....one or both could be in play:

(1) You keep using an image that contains the recovery partition, so that partition keeps getting re-imaged onto the SSD. This could be because you're actually using the same image each time (not overwriting it as you might think, or not selecting the right one when you restore), or because you continue to include more than the OS partition each time you create a new image.

(2) The restore process is not re-formatting and restoring to the entire SSD, but rather, is only re-imaging to the existing OS partition.

I don't understand what you're saying about being "forced" to include your D: partition/drive as well. You are using Windows Backup and Restore, correct? (not some other program) What you should see on the selection page is all the partitions in your system, with the OS partition checked automatically (and you can't uncheck it). All the other partitions are optionally check-able. It should look something like this:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/Createasystemimage.jpg

Any chance you could post an image from Disk Management? To illustrate the existing partitions on your machine?

AdelaisAer
04-28-2012, 04:56 PM
My D: partition includes some system files too, apparently, so when I save an image, I have to do both C and D. But they are on separate drives, so that should not affect it.

http://i45.tinypic.com/21crymu.png

BrodyBoy
04-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Ah....you should rectify that. As you can see, it makes things like backing up and moving your system cumbersome and more complicated than they need to be. To properly move your Windows installation to a new drive, as you trying to do, the boot files need to be with Windows, where they belong.

The easiest way to fix this is to temporarily disconnect or lock that hard drive that has the D: partition. Then when you go to boot up, you'll get an error message that "BOOTMGR IS MISSING." Boot into the Windows Repair disk (see? ....told it's handy to have one of these around!) and select the "Startup Repair" option. This will put the boot files in their proper location on your OS partition.

After this, you may need to delete the extra bootmgr from the D: drive.

AdelaisAer
04-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Ah....you should rectify that. As you can see, it makes things like backing up and moving your system cumbersome and more complicated than they need to be. To properly move your Windows installation to a new drive, as you trying to do, the boot files need to be with Windows, where they belong.

The easiest way to fix this is to temporarily disconnect or lock that hard drive that has the D: partition. Then when you go to boot up, you'll get an error message that "BOOTMGR IS MISSING." Boot into the Windows Repair disk (see? ....told it's handy to have one of these around!) and select the "Startup Repair" option. This will put the boot files in their proper location on your OS partition.

After this, you may need to delete the extra bootmgr from the D: drive.

Should I physically disconnect D:? Or is there a way to unmount it or something?

Also, what if I take the 25GB unallocated space and turn it into a new volume, so it becomes a partition on my SSD, and then I reformat and restore image again? Will that help? Considering that now that the 25GB is a partition, and I reformat all partitions and copy over them just the OS...etc. etc. etc.

BrodyBoy
04-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Should I physically disconnect D:? Or is there a way to unmount it or something?
You have two options:
(1) If that hard drive is in Bay #2 (the one with the little ribbon cable), you could easily disconnect it without having to remove any disks or disk brackets.

(2) Alternately, you could go into the BIOS and lock that hard drive. In the BIOS Seup Utility:
"Security" tab -> "I/O Interface Security" -> "SATA 2nd HDD Interface"......set to [Lock]

Also, what if I take the 25GB unallocated space and turn it into a new volume, so it becomes a partition on my SSD, and then I reformat and restore image again? Will that help? Considering that now that the 25GB is a partition, and I reformat all partitions and copy over them just the OS...etc. etc. etc.
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. If it were me, I would do three things to resolve all this:

(1) Fix that BOOTMGR problem, as previously described.
(2) Delete the recovery partition and create a system image that includes ONLY the C: OS partition.
(2) Completely re-format the new SSD....I'd want it to be one big partition, or one big block of unallocated space, before restoring anything to it.

AdelaisAer
04-29-2012, 11:13 PM
You have two options:
(1) If that hard drive is in Bay #2 (the one with the little ribbon cable), you could easily disconnect it without having to remove any disks or disk brackets.

(2) Alternately, you could go into the BIOS and lock that hard drive. In the BIOS Seup Utility:
"Security" tab -> "I/O Interface Security" -> "SATA 2nd HDD Interface"......set to [Lock]

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. If it were me, I would do three things to resolve all this:

(1) Fix that BOOTMGR problem, as previously described.
(2) Delete the recovery partition and create a system image that includes ONLY the C: OS partition.
(2) Completely re-format the new SSD....I'd want it to be one big partition, or one big block of unallocated space, before restoring anything to it.

Mmmk. I'll try this tomorrow. I wanna finish playing Guild Wars2 for the remainder of today. Today is the last day for the beta. :P

AdelaisAer
04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
ALright, I need to verify what I am doing right now:

Disconnect the HDD
Boot from Disc
Startup Repair

Then what?

EDIT: Also, once I fix Boot Manager, how do I delete the extra from D:?

BrodyBoy
04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
ALright, I need to verify what I am doing right now:

Disconnect the HDD
Boot from Disc
Startup Repair

Then what?

EDIT: Also, once I fix Boot Manager, how do I delete the extra from D:?
You delete it in System Configuration....here's how:

Go ahead and boot into Windows...from the C: drive, of course....
Type "system" in the Windows search bar, and select "System Configuration" from the Start Menu pop-up
Select the "Boot" tab
There will be two listings. Keep "Windows 7 (C:Windows) : Current OS; Default OS" and delete the other one.

AdelaisAer
04-30-2012, 05:12 PM
You delete it in System Configuration....here's how:

Go ahead and boot into Windows...from the C: drive, of course....
Type "system" in the Windows search bar, and select "System Configuration" from the Start Menu pop-up
Select the "Boot" tab
There will be two listings. Keep "Windows 7 (C:Windows) : Current OS; Default OS" and delete the other one.

And after all of that, create image, and try the whole reformatting and imaging all over again?

Also, thank you for sticking with me and helping me with this. :)

EDIT: I also got an email from Intel saying that I could try a secure erase, reinstall windows, and then reimage. BUT I'll try your way first. :P

BrodyBoy
04-30-2012, 05:42 PM
And after all of that, create image, and try the whole reformatting and imaging all over again?

Also, thank you for sticking with me and helping me with this. :)

EDIT: I also got an email from Intel saying that I could try a secure erase, reinstall windows, and then reimage. BUT I'll try your way first. :P
Well, what they were referring to (I presume they meant using the "clean all" command from the DOS prompt) shouldn't a difference, but it can't hurt, either. It would absolutely ensure that you are restoring to a completely clean SSD. You can do this not instead of what I suggested, but as part of it. Earlier, when I said "completely re-format the SSD," this is one way to do it.

As I said earlier, the two things you need to ensure are that (1) the SSD is completly cleared of all exisitng partitions, and (2) the image you're restoring contains only the C: partition. A "clean" wipe of the SSD is one way to ensure the first step.

AdelaisAer
04-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Well, what they were referring to (I presume they meant using the "clean all" command from the DOS prompt) shouldn't a difference, but it can't hurt, either. It would absolutely ensure that you are restoring to a completely clean SSD. You can do this not instead of what I suggested, but as part of it. Earlier, when I said "completely re-format the SSD," this is one way to do it.

As I said earlier, the two things you need to ensure are that (1) the SSD is completly cleared of all exisitng partitions, and (2) the image you're restoring contains only the C: partition. A "clean" wipe of the SSD is one way to ensure the first step.

Well, I have bad news - I did everything you said, and I literally mean everything. I went step by step.

The 25GB unallocated space is still there, and it's still on the left side of the OS partition. My D: is still physically disconnected, too. Speaking of which, I got no boot manager errors or anything - just an error telling me the paging file was located on D: and now it doesn't exist. :S But other than that, I did everything and the 25GB unallocated space is still there, so Iunno what to do. Should I turn it into a new volume and try again? (that way, it will delete the new volume and just use the OS partition)

I DON'T THINK I AM DOING THIS CORRECTLY. When I make an image of the OS, I think it actually includes that 25GB of unallocated space with it for some reason. I don't know how to get rid of it. How do I back only the OS partition up without the 25GB of unallocated space? I saw no options for it when making an image. It just said OS C:. Also, I made sure the option to clear all existing partitions prior to imagine was checked. So...

GottiBoi55
07-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Well, I have bad news - I did everything you said, and I literally mean everything. I went step by step.

The 25GB unallocated space is still there, and it's still on the left side of the OS partition. My D: is still physically disconnected, too. Speaking of which, I got no boot manager errors or anything - just an error telling me the paging file was located on D: and now it doesn't exist. :S But other than that, I did everything and the 25GB unallocated space is still there, so Iunno what to do. Should I turn it into a new volume and try again? (that way, it will delete the new volume and just use the OS partition)

I DON'T THINK I AM DOING THIS CORRECTLY. When I make an image of the OS, I think it actually includes that 25GB of unallocated space with it for some reason. I don't know how to get rid of it. How do I back only the OS partition up without the 25GB of unallocated space? I saw no options for it when making an image. It just said OS C:. Also, I made sure the option to clear all existing partitions prior to imagine was checked. So...

I have the same 520 series SSD.
all you need to do is use the intel migration software.
it will calculate, and re size your drive.
my drive has 15gb recovery, and boot manager combo, and 153 GB free space.
the software will do all for you.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19324