PDA

View Full Version : New SSD issues - Partitions and allocations

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 10:04 PM
ISSUE #1: It kinda seems a bit slower right now. :S Maybe because it's new? Updated Intel SSD Toolbox to the latest version, ran Optimizer and all the other stuff. Maybe it's just me.

ISSUE #2: The allocated space is still 128GB. Turns out there's a RECOVERY partition, albeit hidden. Is there a way to change that?

EDIT: Checked the partitions in Disc Management. There's 18GB unallocated, wtf?

25GB Main Partition //// 124GB OS: System, Boot, Active, Crash, Dump, Primary Partition //// 18.63GB UNALLOCATED

ALSO, DO I NEED IRST? :l

gilbert
04-26-2012, 10:12 PM
if there is nothing that you need in the unallocated partition you can just delet it , choose extend partition apply and it will add itself to the 128gb one .

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 10:24 PM
if there is nothing that you need in the unallocated partition you can just delet it , choose extend partition apply and it will add itself to the 128gb one .

How do I do that?

gilbert
04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
How do I do that?right click on the partition delete volume ,expand , done ..........

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 10:48 PM
right click on the partition delete ,expand done ..........

Mmmm, I see. Alright. Also, there is a 25GB partition in front of the OS partition (check my original post; I updated it). Should I remove that, too? Or should I leave it alone?

gilbert
04-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Mmmm, I see. Alright. Also, there is a 25GB partition in front of the OS partition (check my original post; I updated it). Should I remove that, too? Or should I leave it alone?that is your system partition the reason why is so big is because you have page file on your c: partition you should change the page file to your HDD to free up space on your ssd..give this a try http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

gilbert
04-26-2012, 11:01 PM
this os how my disk management looks like in my 120gb ssd, after a clean install and a SSD optimization .http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s453/gilbert11231123/Untitled-1.png

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 11:08 PM
that is your system partition the reason why is so big is because you have page file on your c: partition you should change the page file to your HDD to free up space on your ssd..give this a try http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/
No, that's not the system partition....it's the Asus recovery partition. The page file has nothing to do with the partition issues at this point.

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Alright, I'll try.

gilbert
04-26-2012, 11:13 PM
No, that's not the system partition....it's the Asus recovery partition. The page file has nothing to do with the partition issues at this point.adelaisaer can you post a pic of the disk management that would help a lot to understand what you have , if what brodyboy said is right then you should b able to just create a image without that 25gb partition , format your ssd and set it up , the 25gb partiton wont b there any more.

AdelaisAer
04-26-2012, 11:14 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?13700-HELP-How-to-Migrate-from-old-SSD-to-new-SSD&p=98039

BrodyBoy
04-26-2012, 11:36 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?13700-HELP-How-to-Migrate-from-old-SSD-to-new-SSD&p=98039
That was a guy with a brand new computer who wanted to put the OEM installation onto a new drive. I recommended a factory restore onto the drive, as that would be the best way for Windows to optimize its settings for the new drive. (It was a hybrid drive, if I recall correctly??) Anyway, he just cloned it over instead.

That situation doesn't translate directly to you, AdelaisAer, since you are dealing with a customized installation and you don't want the recovery partition. So a factory restore is not an option, and direct cloning, as we've seen, gave you everything, including the recovery partition that you don't want.

AdelaisAer
04-27-2012, 12:43 AM
That was a guy with a brand new computer who wanted to put the OEM installation onto a new drive. I recommended a factory restore onto the drive, as that would be the best way for Windows to optimize its settings for the new drive. (It was a hybrid drive, if I recall correctly??) Anyway, he just cloned it over instead.

That situation doesn't translate directly to you, AdelaisAer, since you are dealing with a customized installation and you don't want the recovery partition. So a factory restore is not an option, and direct cloning, as we've seen, gave you everything, including the recovery partition that you don't want.

Okay, so, it didn't work. The 25GB partition is still in front of the OS partition. :l

BrodyBoy
04-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Okay, so, it didn't work. The 25GB partition is still in front of the OS partition. :l
DId you get rid of it before making the image?

AdelaisAer
04-27-2012, 12:50 AM
DId you get rid of it before making the image?
................I hate my life.

BrodyBoy
04-27-2012, 12:57 AM
moved to other thread

AdelaisAer
04-27-2012, 01:00 AM
lol! ;) I know the feeling....but this, too, shall pass.

Look on the bright side.....if you take this opportunity to re-arrange your files so that your personal data files aren't on the OS drive, your Windows installation will be cleaner and easier to move, back-up, etc. And....next time you need to do this whole transfer thingy, you're gonna be SUCH a pro!

The thing is, though, I have Windows folders like My Pictures, My Music, etc., which I prefer to use, due to easier access. So I don't keep them on separate drives. Games, on the other hand, all go on my 7200rpm HDD.

Well, anyway, brb. Gonna try again. *sigh*

gilbert
04-27-2012, 01:01 AM
lol you are making it harder then it has to be , i think you are better off with a clean install and it would take you less then 20 minutes , with better results and better performance...