PDA

View Full Version : Successful BIOS Update - Subsequent Touchpad Driver Issue - Chipset Update Question

FSXNut
04-28-2012, 04:57 AM
I ran the updated chipset driver from ASUS site but it doesn't seem to do anything. When I go to Processor Properties in Device Manager it has the following for the processor driver:
Date: 6/21/2006
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

A 2006 driver for i7?

Following is from the readme in the chipset zip. I do not have any item mentioned in Step 12.

"1. Copy the contents of the
<INF Extract Directory>\XXXX\Win7
directory to the root directory A removable media,
such as a USB flash drive (UFD) or floppy disk (A:\).

NOTE:
XXXX is the directory name for the chipset
of interest. Refer to Section 8 for more details.

2. Close all programs currently running on the system.
3. Click on Start.
4. Select Settings.
5. Select the Control Panel.
6. Double-click on the System icon.
7. Click on the Hardware tab.
8. Click on the Device Manager button.
9. Select "Devices by connection" under the View menu.
10. Click on MPS Uniprocessor PC -OR- MPS
Multiprocessor PC.

NOTE:
Only one of the above items will be
displayed for a given system.

11. Click on PCI bus.
12. Right-click on the line containing the description
PCI standard host CPU bridge
-or-
PCI standard ISA bridge
-or-
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
-or-
PCI System Management Bus
-or-
Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
-or-
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
(This line will be selected.)
13. Select Properties from the pull-down menu.
14. Click on the Driver tab.
15. Click on the Update Driver button.
16. Windows Server* 2008 R2 will launch the Upgrade Device
Driver Wizard. Select Browse my computer for the driver software.
17. Enter "A:\" in the Combo Box
18. Ensure that the Include Subfolders checkbox is checked
19. Select Next
20. The window Will Display the Device that was installed
21. Select Close
22. Reboot the system if prompted to do so."

Also, I updated the BIOS using flash drive method successfully. After I did so it indicated that the touchpad driver was not compatible and to update, so I installed the latest driver downloaded from ASUS site (not using update program). The touchpad works, but I cannot turn it off with fn+F9. Must be able to turn the pad off!
Please help, thanks.

dstrakele
04-28-2012, 05:14 AM
Do you have a Sentelic or Synaptics touchpad?

What version touchpad driver did you install?

FSXNut
04-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Well, I'm not sure. I have model G74SX-BBK7. When I plug serial number into Asus site it gives me two drivers. One "Synaptics Touchpad Driver" Version V15.3.43.0 and also "Touchpad driver" Version V9.1.3.5.

Looks like this thread covers the chipset so I will do that, but not sure which touchpad to use.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=

dstrakele
04-28-2012, 06:23 AM
The G74SX ships with both Sentelic and Synaptics touchpads. If you install the wrong driver, it'll overwrite even the "Hardware IDs" in the "Details" tab of your touchpad Properties in Device Manager.

My advice would be to uninstall your current touchpad driver from Control Panel, reboot, and let Windows install its Plug N Play touchpad driver. Then check the "Hardware IDs" of your touchpad in Device Manager. If they start with "STLC" (or something close), you have a Sentelic touchpad. Otherwise, it is a Synaptics.

If you have a Sentelic, install the 9.1.7.7 driver. Earlier versions fail to disable properly.

If you still have problems, go to "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", right-click on "ATK Package" and choose "Repair" from the popup menu.

FSXNut
04-28-2012, 08:58 AM
thx i was looking and dont have anything like that. under Human Interface Devices there are HID-Compliant consumer control devices, and under Mice and other pointing is ms usb dual receiver microsoft wireless mouse and ps2 mouse.

in a moment of pure delusion and fantasy, on account on a reinstall, i opted to let ms install a series of drivers it recommended during up updates, based on my mouse... maybe it would fix the ms mouse wheel and make it scroll just how Id like it...? lol. besides, it's one co making the devices, and they recognized each other. rofl. i think they claimed to have worked together before or something. anyways, after that they communicated, and later presented their recommendations. i wasn't p resent at those meetings, how could i know better? hahaha hee hee lol.e

the spec sheet for this doesn't mention anything about the touchpads, in the bestus of ways. reinstall ought to clear it all up. thx.

FSXNut
04-28-2012, 09:09 PM
i used recovery disks and reinstalled everything. i still have no idea which brand touchpad. there is no indication in device manager, or any synaptic or sentelic program installed in program manager. i guess the new bios precludes it from installing? the documentation i have/can find is useless as to touchpad...

FSXNut
04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
i tried to install the recommended R2.267 audio driver per this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=

install told me no supported device.

really seems the updated BIOS somehow messed with recovery installing everything...what to do now, roll back the bios and then recover again to find out what is on this rig?

BrodyBoy
04-28-2012, 11:00 PM
i used recovery disks and reinstalled everything. i still have no idea which brand touchpad. there is no indication in device manager, or any synaptic or sentelic program installed in program manager. i guess the new bios precludes it from installing? the documentation i have/can find is useless as to touchpad...
No, the BIOS wouldn't preclude it from installing. If you have not yet customized your computer (i.e., you don't have a bunch of programs and data on it yet), I would suggest a factory restore using the F9 method. This will install the proper touchpad driver...well, an older one, but at least the correct manufacturer. It seems to me that whatever you have done has messed up multiple drivers, so starting from scratch with the OEM installation would probably be a good idea.

i tried to install the recommended R2.267 audio driver per this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=

install told me no supported device.

really seems the updated BIOS somehow messed with recovery installing everything...what to do now, roll back the bios and then recover again to find out what is on this rig?
No, the BIOS isn't the problem. Again, I think your attempts to alter/update drivers have messed things up a bit, and a factory restore should get you back to where you need to be.

FSXNut
04-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Prior to reinstall with recovery, I rolled the bios back to v202. There was a difference between what the recovery installed program/driver wise between 202 and 203. I can disable the touchpad now. I now have "Finger Sensing Pad" under Mice and Pointing Devices.

Post recovery chipset driver was:
date: 6/21/2006
version: 6.1.7600.16385
I disabled UAC, then restarted, then did the chipset install with the -overall switch.
Same drivers after reboot!!???

FSXNut
04-29-2012, 03:07 AM
any ideas why the chipset will not update?

BrodyBoy
04-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Post recovery chipset driver was:
date: 6/21/2006
version: 6.1.7600.16385
I disabled UAC, then restarted, then did the chipset install with the -overall switch.
Same drivers after reboot!!???
Intel chipset updates don't update every component in the chipset package....there will continue to be elements with the Windows build dates. This is normal....I wouldn't worry about it.