PDA

View Full Version : Asus G74SX Black Screen Right after Windows Animation boot page HELP!

Arvizu360
04-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Hello there anyone reading this,
I got an Asus G74SX Im very happy with my product,
its a really beautiful laptop
But I have been getting a problem that i have no clue how to resolve it,

PROBLEM/:

My screen goes black after the windows 7 animation and right before the login screen to type in the password. This black Screen lasts for around 20-35 seconds then it makes the windows sound that comes up when the log screen comes up. This only happens sometimes, around 50/50 chance of happening,
it happens when shutting on, or when i resume windows after sleep.

I did 3 clean installs of windows 7 already formating the hard drive completely every time. it seems to work for like a day but then after a day everything happens again and keep getting the black screen.

Please anyone help me... I did something recommended here on the forums..
to remove the batttery and unplug the laptop and any other usb and hold the power buttom for 30 seconds but it didnt work please help :(

fuzon1337
04-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi and Welcome to the ROG forum :)

Which nVidia driver have you installed?
And how long is it since you bought your notebook?

dstrakele
04-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Do you install the Intel RST driver as part of your clean Windows 7 installation?

If you open the CD/DVD tray, does it prevent loss of video?

You are reporting the video ALWAYS returns after a 25-35 second blackout OR does it remain black? And this only occurs on entry into OR resume from hibernation?

HavokD
04-30-2012, 03:22 AM
What nvidia drivers are you using?

tWiCeAsfLyOhMy
04-30-2012, 02:07 PM
This may be irrelevant but about half way through deleting the bloatware I experienced this too. Once it was all removed it went back to being 1-4 seconds max.

Arvizu360
05-01-2012, 02:54 AM
i got nvidia 296.10

it happens sometimes around 50 50 chance. when turning on from a shut down, and when resuming from a sleep.
I need help please.
when opening the cd tray it does nothing to the screen. it takes 30-40 seconds and then it makes the windows noise and then after like 2 seconds the screen to type in the password appears.

Arvizu360
05-01-2012, 03:03 AM
This may be irrelevant but about half way through deleting the bloatware I experienced this too. Once it was all removed it went back to being 1-4 seconds max.

what is Bloatware?
I might try to delete it

Arvizu360
05-01-2012, 03:05 AM
I forgot to mention that in order to get to the logon screen after the 40 seconds of waiting for the windows sound I need to sometimes press Fn+f7
I thing maybe my screen driver is messed up and windows turns on with the screen turned off by default? please help.

Ruwin
05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Hey,

I have issues with this same blackout on boot. I tried all the drivers and i came to thinking that his is actually not a driver problem as much as a power management problem. My theory is not tested as i have to get home to test it on my 53sw, but the black screen might appear due to the asus power management utility that sets the GTX video adapter as default after booting. This blackout might not appear when the power options in the asus ROG utility or windows power management tool is set to a profile that doesnt use the GTX as default, something as Office or Media. If anybody has time, please try some restarts and let me know if i am right.

Another ideea might be that the bios sets the dedicated GTX gpu as default, then on boot, the windows tries to enable the built-in-CPU video adapter (the intel HD 3000 or whatever ppl got). This might cause w7 to get a little confused. Or it might be the exact opposite, the bios is setting the built-in GPU as default, and the Windows tries to set the GTX as default, after loading.
Again, if anybody has time, test the Bios settings for video adapters.

dstrakele
05-01-2012, 12:54 PM
I forgot to mention that in order to get to the logon screen after the 40 seconds of waiting for the windows sound I need to sometimes press Fn+f7
I thing maybe my screen driver is messed up and windows turns on with the screen turned off by default? please help.

The ATK Package controls the function keys. Go to "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", right-click on "ATK Package", and choose "Repair" from the popup menu. Does this resolve your "black screen on startup" issue?

Arvizu360
05-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Hey there repairing the atk package seem to work for 3 power on on a row. but THE 4RD ONE was black screen again :(

Arvizu360
05-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Do you install the Intel RST driver as part of your clean Windows 7 installation?

If you open the CD/DVD tray, does it prevent loss of video?

You are reporting the video ALWAYS returns after a 25-35 second blackout OR does it remain black? And this only occurs on entry into OR resume from hibernation?

it always returns but sometimes i have to press fn+f7 opennign the tray does nothing. i dont thing i installed rst driver

Arvizu360
05-03-2012, 05:44 AM
Hey,

I have issues with this same blackout on boot. I tried all the drivers and i came to thinking that his is actually not a driver problem as much as a power management problem. My theory is not tested as i have to get home to test it on my 53sw, but the black screen might appear due to the asus power management utility that sets the GTX video adapter as default after booting. This blackout might not appear when the power options in the asus ROG utility or windows power management tool is set to a profile that doesnt use the GTX as default, something as Office or Media. If anybody has time, please try some restarts and let me know if i am right.

Another ideea might be that the bios sets the dedicated GTX gpu as default, then on boot, the windows tries to enable the built-in-CPU video adapter (the intel HD 3000 or whatever ppl got). This might cause w7 to get a little confused. Or it might be the exact opposite, the bios is setting the built-in GPU as default, and the Windows tries to set the GTX as default, after loading.

have you repaired it?

Arvizu360
05-03-2012, 05:48 AM
The ATK Package controls the function keys. Go to "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", right-click on "ATK Package", and choose "Repair" from the popup menu. Does this resolve your "black screen on startup" issue?

I though this was the fix since i power on the laptop and it worked for 3 times straight even when resuming from a sleep but then today it did the black screen again.

Arvizu360
05-09-2012, 08:01 AM
anyone knows how to fix this? its getting really anoying i already did 3 fresh starts of windows 7 and the problem persists.

gilbert
05-09-2012, 10:32 PM
anyone knows how to fix this? its getting really anoying i already did 3 fresh starts of windows 7 and the problem persists.the only way i fix mine is using the 268,37 vga driver from asus any other driver i use gives me a long black boot up after windows logo about 45 seconds

dstrakele
05-10-2012, 12:21 PM
anyone knows how to fix this? its getting really anoying i already did 3 fresh starts of windows 7 and the problem persists.

I think you may have exhausted your software solution possibilities. It could be possible your laptop has an electrical short that prevents the display from turning on at startup. Some users experiencing this issue report video is displayed when they open the laptop and touch the LVDS cable or the heatsink.

It's curious that you report opening the DVD tray turned on the screen in one instance. But if you are NOT installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver (which has been implicated in the "black screen on Resume from Hibernation" issue", my only other suggestion would be to use Process Explorer to see if you could identify a process or thread using high CPU utilization when you experience your issue.

moqel
05-12-2012, 11:31 PM
the only way i fix mine is using the 268,37 vga driver from asus any other driver i use gives me a long black boot up after windows logo about 45 seconds

I also got long black screens on start-up, after I upgraded driver from 285.62 to 296.10.
Once changed back to 285.62 - black screens are gone.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I'd like to use the newer driver.

gilbert
05-13-2012, 03:18 AM
I also got long black screens on start-up, after I upgraded driver from 285.62 to 296.10.
Once changed back to 285.62 - black screens are gone.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I'd like to use the newer driver.

the only way around it i have found is that when i do my clean install i"m very carfeull of what i install and what order ,this are my steps.

1 chipset v 9.3.0.1019
2 fresco v 3.5.4.0
3 vga v 268.37 (just the graphics driver clean install ) no HD driver no 3D graphic driver.
4 lan Realtek 7.053 yours may b different.
5 card reader v 10001
6 wireless latest what ever version you have im using intel 6300.
7 atk v 1.0.0014
8 touch pad sentelic v 9.1.7.7 yours may b different...

after all that i do my ssd Optomization ,
restart a couple of times and then

9 vga driver v 296.16( just the graphic drivers no clean install ) no hd drivers no 3d drivers

10 direct x latest version

and after that i get fast start ups all the time .... but b careful if u install drivers for something else , like a mouse , game controller or whatever might affect the vga drivers and get long boot ups again , it happen to me once with my old logistic game controller , not my new one ... good luck .

Arvizu360
05-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Hey,

hello there were you able to fix your black boot page?

Arvizu360
05-14-2012, 05:45 PM
the only way around it i have found is that when i do my clean install i"m very carfeull of what i install and what order ,this are my steps.

1 chipset v 9.3.0.1019
2 fresco v 3.5.4.0
3 vga v 268.37 (just the graphics driver clean install ) no HD driver no 3D graphic driver.
4 lan Realtek 7.053 yours may b different.
5 card reader v 10001
6 wireless latest what ever version you have im using intel 6300.
7 atk v 1.0.0014
8 touch pad sentelic v 9.1.7.7 yours may b different...

after all that i do my ssd Optomization ,
restart a couple of times and then

9 vga driver v 296.16( just the graphic drivers no clean install ) no hd drivers no 3d drivers

10 direct x latest version

and after that i get fast start ups all the time .... but b careful if u install drivers for something else , like a mouse , game controller or whatever might affect the vga drivers and get long boot ups again , it happen to me once with my old logistic game controller , not my new one ... good luck .
were do you get the old vga driver 268.37 i cant seem to find it ont he nvidia page also is there a difference in performance of gaming between that driver and the new 296.16?

Arvizu360
05-14-2012, 06:28 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED: I Downgraded First from Nvidia Drivers 296.16 to 296.10 Still Long Black Screen on Boot right after the Windows Animation.
Then i Downgraded to the Nvidia Drivers from the Asus CD for the g74SX which are 268.37 and the problems seems to be fixed.

I just have one question, IS there a difference in gaming performance between the 268.37 drivers and the new 296 one? Also Does anyone know a way to fix this problem on the 296 drivers?

gilbert
05-15-2012, 03:55 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED: I Downgraded First from Nvidia Drivers 296.16 to 296.10 Still Long Black Screen on Boot right after the Windows Animation.
Then i Downgraded to the Nvidia Drivers from the Asus CD for the g74SX which are 268.37 and the problems seems to be fixed.

I just have one question, IS there a difference in gaming performance between the 268.37 drivers and the new 296 one? Also Does anyone know a way to fix this problem on the 296 drivers? yes there is a significant difference and the only way for me to be able to use the 296,16 is to install it on top of the 268,37 no clean install , just the graphic driver .

Hope2033
06-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi, I'm having a similar problem. It just started a couple of weeks ago. If my G74sx goes into hibernation or if I shut the lid without shutting down, I go to a black screen with a blinking icon in the upper left hand. I've dried Ctlr+ALT+del, the function buttons, opening/closing the disc tray...nothing short of doing a hard shut down resolves the problem. When it restarts, it gives me the option to "restore session" which never works, or "delete restoration data and begin again." I'm an author, so I use my laptop primarily for work and very little gaming. More than once I've lost hours of work because the screen went into hibernation, and I couldn't restore the program I was using. I haven't installed anything new, and my programs (to my knowledge) are all up to date. Any suggestions or ideas what's going on?

Arvizu360
06-28-2013, 05:56 AM
I think you may have exhausted your software solution possibilities. It could be possible your laptop has an electrical short that prevents the display from turning on at startup. Some users experiencing this issue report video is displayed when they open the laptop and touch the LVDS cable or the heatsink.

It's curious that you report opening the DVD tray turned on the screen in one instance. But if you are NOT installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver (which has been implicated in the "black screen on Resume from Hibernation" issue", my only other suggestion would be to use Process Explorer to see if you could identify a process or thread using high CPU utilization when you experience your issue.

Hey there have youfound any ways to solve the black screen on the G74sx? its the one that takes like 40 secs for the windows screen to come up , the one to log in.. its a driver problem since it doesnt do it with the drivers 286.37... it only does it with any other than that. also its not a hardware problem since it doesnt do it in windows 8. please help me