PDA

View Full Version : Factory Restore?

Massquatch
04-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Perhaps I don't really know enough about computers and I'm sure that's the case, but.
Every so often, I will do a full factory restore on my G73. Seems like the easiest way to clean out all the crap in my machine.
I mentioned it offhand to one of the IT guys at work and he said that doing so could be damaging to my computer, no elaboration.
Just as an aside, when I asked him his opinion after I bought my Asus, he had one word for me "Sucks."
Is doing a factory restore every so often hurting my computer?

evga
04-28-2012, 11:23 AM
if your keep formatting your harddisk/s it may damage it, other than that , there wont be a side effect.

fuzon1337
04-28-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't see why you should do the factory restore all the time.

After a factory restore you may want to get rid of all the bloatware and install all latest drivers (nvidia/ati depends on which model of G73 you got, important to update your atheros wifi card if you got that, touchpad drivers (if you feel the cursor is buggy doesn't respond) and intel chipset.

And when you're done with updates and installation of other porgrams/software then you could download CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the register check (if you choose to install this program, uncheck for installation on toolbar unless you want it).

PILGRIM
04-28-2012, 12:02 PM
...Every so often, I will do a full factory restore on my G73. Seems like the easiest way to clean out all the crap in my machine...

You've wanted to clean out all the crap in your machine by doing factory restore?
Shouldn't that be a fresh/clean OS installation instead?

"Factory restore" says it all.. It restores all factory settings, including the bloatwares.

dstrakele
04-28-2012, 01:16 PM
A Factory Restore is no more damaging to a drive than any other write operation.

I'd recommend spending the time to do a clean Windows 7 install, then backing up the Windows System Image OR using a partition cloning utility like Acronis True Image Home to make a copy of your OS partition. Then instead of doing a Factory Restore, you could restore your nice, fresh copy of Windows 7 complete with more recent drivers.

BrodyBoy
04-28-2012, 11:08 PM
if your keep formatting your harddisk/s it may damage it, other than that , there wont be a side effect.
That's not accurate. It's no different than any other write operation....which we do all the time when we use our computers.