PDA

View Full Version : How does the g73 know i'm closing the screen?

GW2
01-22-2011, 03:48 AM
I'm asking mostly because when I put my phone on the side of it (where the dvd drive is and the capslock/numlock lights are) the screen shuts off. I have a blackberry torch 9800, which has a magnet inside of it to detect when the phone is in its case and keeps it from ghost dialing. My train of thought is that it either activates a magnetic sensor in the g73 (which the closed lid would normally do), or that the graphics card is around that area, and the magnet is messing up the signal. Either way I'm just curious. Thanks in advance,

GW2

xeromist
01-24-2011, 01:34 AM
Couldn't you set the case next to your laptop (since it should also have a small magnetic field) and see if the same thing happens?

irdmoose
01-25-2011, 01:45 AM
I've tested this with a magnet, and it seems that the laptop uses a kind of magnetic reed switch (like a home security system uses for your doors or windows) in the body of the laptop with a corresponding magnet in the screen. The switch is around the area of the Capslock/Numlock LEDs.

If where you place your phone is a problem, you could always put it in a different location. If you use it to tether for internet, you could always use double stick tape to mount a little clip on the back of the display. That way when you hang it there, it'll also get better signal than just sitting next to your display.

Just a thought.

Daedalus
01-26-2011, 04:38 PM
If the G73 is like some of the other model notebooks there is a sensor on the left side top of the main case, some of the older types had a manual switch and it worked when you closed your lid down. Some of the newer ones have the magnetic ones that sense the lid. I would say it is seeing your phone and using that signal to shut off. I will try this with mine tonight as I have a Blackberry phone that has the same as yours in it, and see if it does this to me also.

Dj Clint
01-26-2011, 07:40 PM
U can always change your settings to do nothing when the lid is closed..

GW2
02-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Well I know I'm a little late responding but thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad it's just a switch and not something else. I don't usually put my phone there, i just noticed it one day, thought it was odd.