PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Drivers

Peregrine
05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Just curious what you guys do. Pretty sure I know the answer but want to run it by you.

I assume you all install the latest Nvidia driver any time Nvidia releases one. Yes?
I only ask because (it kind of annoys me that) when you use the Nvidia UPDATE CHECKER on your laptop it says "No Update Available". Go to Nvidia.com (or here and find out has been released ;) ) and there's a new driver.

Is the update checker flawed or does Nvidia believe I shouldn't use that driver on my rig yet?

(Normally I would always just use the latest driver but I've been an AMD boy for the past few rigs so I never used an "Update Checker").

dataDave
05-01-2012, 05:27 PM
I install just the display driver itself using custom setup. Nvidia update and especially the HD audio are just bloats which have been screwing with my Starcraft 2 performance.

I've actually opted with the ones from the Asus site, which I never normally do... Saying that my system is running much better, I hate to say it... why? Because I get the feeling that all these lovely updated nVidia drivers boasting massively improved chunks of performance aren't optimal for our board configurations, and we're reliant on Asus to approve/tweak/upload them. I also get the feeling that the G74 will be left in the dirt by them now that the G75 has spawned.

Woofyhugger
05-01-2012, 11:39 PM
I always use the ones from the Nvidia website, and not the massive 3, yes 3 updates from Asus (for the G74sx). I prefer to use a graphics driver that is updated regularly. I doubt I will see another G74 update from Asus anyway.