PDA

View Full Version : G73jh Battery / BSOD issues

jagernaut
05-02-2012, 03:24 AM
Hi i own a G73jh and the oddest thing is happening. I have used it as a desktop but have recently been using it to just sit on the couch and browse the net as an actual lappy. Every so often i get a BSOD while just MOVING it around it never has happend while sitting on the desk just when i move it around. Thats problem number one.

problem number two is the battery... it says there is one charge to 100% a few days ago then i unpluged it and it dies like 10 min later.... so im like plug it back in and it says no battery detected so i like "Power cycle it" take out battery unplug and press power button to drain all energy and then hook it all back up and battery is at 3% and charging. So i let it charge over nite and it gets to a TOTAL of 93% so i unplug it again and BAM 5 min later dead in the water. So i try to "Power cycle" it again but this time no luck just says no battery. Thoughts? I have NEVER used this on battery only! so i dont see how the battery is already toast.

note i DID upgrade to a 920XM a few weeks ago but that should have no bearing on this really. It does require more power but out of all the people who have upgraded NONE of them said this would be an issue. Nor were there any reported issues

dstrakele
05-02-2012, 05:34 AM
I've read threads discussing how manipulation (picking up the laptop by 1 corner, or pressing on it) of the G Series laptop can change a video or startup issue, and how the shocks and vibrations in a rolling travel case may have caused startup issues. The laptops are large and heavy. I believe picking one up by the front corners can produce enough stress internally to possibly cause issues.

That said, it is usually the last thing you've done on your car (or on your computer) that is the cause of the present problem. So I wouldn't rule out something that was done in the 920XM upgrade that is related to your current BSOD. I think it would be worthwhile to troubleshoot the BSOD's further by using BlueScreenView from Nirsoft to obtain the a) Bug Check String, b) Bug Check Code, c) 4 Parameters, and d) filename of the module that may have caused the fault.

As for your battery, how old is it? What is the Wear Level as reported in HWINFO64? Recalibration of the battery may restore some life, although it DOES sound pretty far gone.

jagernaut
05-02-2012, 06:13 AM
I've read threads discussing how manipulation (picking up the laptop by 1 corner, or pressing on it) of the G Series laptop can change a video or startup issue, and how the shocks and vibrations in a rolling travel case may have caused startup issues. The laptops are large and heavy. I believe picking one up by the front corners can produce enough stress internally to possibly cause issues.

That said, it is usually the last thing you've done on your car (or on your computer) that is the cause of the present problem. So I wouldn't rule out something that was done in the 920XM upgrade that is related to your current BSOD. I think it would be worthwhile to troubleshoot the BSOD's further by using BlueScreenView from Nirsoft to obtain the a) Bug Check String, b) Bug Check Code, c) 4 Parameters, and d) filename of the module that may have caused the fault.

As for your battery, how old is it? What is the Wear Level as reported in HWINFO64? Recalibration of the battery may restore some life, although it DOES sound pretty far gone.

The BSOD is a none related issue to the 920 upgrade as it has been doing that since i purchased the lappy. it only happens every so often but the big thing that worries me is that fact that its happend about 4-5 times and each time it has happend its been while moving my lappy eg picking it up sitting on couch. and ive only done this abuot 10-15 times so thats worry some.

HWinfo says 0.0% battery wear. I NEVER use this lappy on battery.

jagernaut
05-02-2012, 08:44 AM
'Okay so just check it again after reboot and it says now i have a 7.8% wear..... and it actually detects the battery now but it says its at 0% and Charging... and has been for like 30 min.

dstrakele
05-02-2012, 01:14 PM
http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/Battery_max.htm discusses how to how to get the most out of your battery and has a link at the bottom to an article that discusses battery recalibration in Windows 7.

jagernaut
05-04-2012, 08:22 PM
tryed the recalibration... didint work its still doing the same thing. It doesnt detect it anymore either. Got it to work for a while played a game of Starcraft 2 max setting for about an hour then it died again. since then same thing as before.

xeromist
05-07-2012, 05:32 PM
tryed the recalibration... didint work its still doing the same thing. It doesnt detect it anymore either. Got it to work for a while played a game of Starcraft 2 max setting for about an hour then it died again. since then same thing as before.

These batteries are more than just a collection of cells. They have internal circuitry which can go bad even if the cells are still good so you might just have a problem there. Unfortunately it looks like our batteries are not cheap but if you've exhausted all other options then it might just be time to break down and buy a new one.

acer59
05-09-2012, 03:02 AM
Is your battery broken ? if so , you can buy a new, here is a website whose batteries are not expensive , maybe you need . http://www.askbattery.com/asus.html