PDA

View Full Version : G74sx - Video Card driver stops responding

veloxtus
05-02-2012, 05:02 AM
Hello,

Haven't seen anything lately on this but I am having some issues with my video card driver. The screen will invert colors and small box will appear all over the screen and the computer will soon after either freeze up or restart itself. I have updated to the latest nvidia driver on the nvidia website (296.10) and just updated to the one posted here (296.16) but still doing it. I have a clean install on with no asus software or anything to bog the system down. I have looked through multiple forums here and have checked the bios and check everything else for updates but it is still doing it. I have already RMA'd this once (Bios upgrade failed) and I don't want to do it again. does anyone have any suggestion or fixes?

fuzon1337
05-02-2012, 05:34 AM
Hi

Try to downgrade your driver version to 285.62
Many have complained about 296.10/16, so see if the driver 285.62 resolves your issue

dstrakele
05-02-2012, 06:04 AM
In addition, use HWINFO64 or SpeedFan to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures to confirm that overheating is not involved.

veloxtus
05-02-2012, 04:46 PM
My stuff is running really hot it seems so I might reapply thermal to it. what is the max temps for both?

fuzon1337
05-02-2012, 04:57 PM
At idle around 45-50 celcius and while gameing (depends on what kind of game) from 60-80 if I'm not wrong :)

If it runs hot, buy some compressed air an blow it into the fans so you can clean it for dust :)

veloxtus
05-02-2012, 05:01 PM
well nvm then im running between 58-62 while playing games and its still doing it. i changed out the driver too so its something else.

dstrakele
05-02-2012, 05:22 PM
1) Did you perform a clean install of the NVIDI driver (choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox) to remove your previous video driver? If not, it could be possible NVIDIA driver remnants are continuing to cause your issue.

2) Attach an external monitor or LCD TV to your laptop using the HDMI or VGA port. Does the video issue occur on the external monitor as well? If not, the problem may be a bad LVDS cable connection, bad cable, or (less likely) a bad display on your laptop.

If both external monitor and laptop display have the video issue, we can work further on attempting to clean up your video driver installation, but it is also possible your Display Adapter may be defective.

veloxtus
05-03-2012, 03:37 AM
Yes i am doing a clean install of the drivers each time that i am updating and downgrading. I have plugged in a second monitor as well and its doing it too. It only happens when playing a game though, when i am simply looking on the internet and browsing it doesn't do it.

dstrakele
05-03-2012, 04:08 AM
So now we know the issue is not related to your laptop display or its connection to the motherboard.

The next step I would recommend would be to uninstall your current NVIDIA driver from Control Panel. Reboot and Windows should install its Plug-N-Play VGA driver. Confirm this is the case in Device Manager. Then boot into Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper to remove any NVIDIA driver remnants (if they exist). Reboot. Run CCleaner to clean up the registry. Reboot into Safe Mode and install the NVIDIA 285.62 driver and attempt to recreate your video artifacts issue by running the game.

If you still can successfully reproduce the issue, backup any important data and perform an ASUS Factory Restore (press F9 at the ASUS splash screen and follow the directions). Then attempt to reproduce your video issue. If you still can reproduce it, your Display Adapter is defective.

veloxtus
05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
alrighty thank you for all the help so far. I will try that and let you know what happens. again thanks for all the help :D will reply soon.

Woofyhugger
05-04-2012, 04:30 AM
So now we know the issue is not related to your laptop display or its connection to the motherboard.

The next step I would recommend would be to uninstall your current NVIDIA driver from Control Panel. Reboot and Windows should install its Plug-N-Play VGA driver. Confirm this is the case in Device Manager. Then boot into Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper to remove any NVIDIA driver remnants (if they exist). Reboot. Run CCleaner to clean up the registry. Reboot into Safe Mode and install the NVIDIA 285.62 driver and attempt to recreate your video artifacts issue by running the game.

If you still can successfully reproduce the issue, backup any important data and perform an ASUS Factory Restore (press F9 at the ASUS splash screen and follow the directions). Then attempt to reproduce your video issue. If you still can reproduce it, your Display Adapter is defective.

I have been having MAJOR "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" issues, and the above seems to have fixed it. I'm not overly fond of running the older drivers, but seeing as every other driver I try gives me the stopped responding message and the 285's don't, I'm happy. Thanks for your help.

dstrakele
05-04-2012, 05:38 AM
Glad to hear its working for you.

NVIDIA releases new drivers relatively frequently. If you feel like trying one again, create a Windows System Restore point, then boot into Safe Mode and perform a clean install of the new driver. I believe this'll give you the best chance of success.

If you encounter problems, just do a Windows System Restore back to that point.

veloxtus
05-11-2012, 05:00 PM
So update on the issue,

Did the uninstall and cleanup with the reinstall of the 285.62 and still had the issue. Ran the ASUS recover and same thing :P. bought a brand new hard drive as well (was going to anyway) and did a completely fresh install from the ground up and still having the same issue.

The issue is weird though, it doesn't happen when it gets to a certain temp or when something specific is running it appears to be completely random. Everything was working fine on the new drive for a while but then it started up again shortly after doing some windows updates so im wondering if something is conflicting, and it did it before i installed any games or anything on the comp so i know its not any software that im installing. just makes my wonder wtf is doing it :P. :confused:

EDIT: oh and it freezed up while on Skype with some friends yesterday and they could still hear me and everything was fine but couldn't click anything or do anything like it froze, gonna try the RMA tonight (le sigh) for the second time :P.

dstrakele
05-11-2012, 05:32 PM
So we now know your video issue:

1) Is unrelated to temperature of CPU or GPU
2) Unrelated to HDD
3) Still occurs when running NVIDIA 285.62 WHQL
4) Still occurs after an ASUS Factory Restore
5) Occurs on both laptop display and external monitor
6) Occurs with new Windows 7 install

It looks like you've exhausted the available software fixes and are probably looking at a defective video adapter, so I'm in agreement with your RMA decision.

That's an interesting picture of the issue. Looks like the St. Valentine's Day Massacre Screen of Death...

veloxtus
05-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Lol ya and that's what it does everything, sometime with inverted colors :P thanks for all the help, fun fun RMA here i come :P

dstrakele
05-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Good Luck with your RMA. It's a tough break, but remember - by the very fact you were able to afford such an expensive piece of technology and converse about it on this forum means you are well-off financially, educated, and doing far better than the great majority of people on the planet.

b_bill
06-03-2012, 02:06 AM
EDIT: oh and it freezed up while on Skype with some friends yesterday and they could still hear me and everything was fine but couldn't click anything or do anything like it froze, gonna try the RMA tonight (le sigh) for the second time :P.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
My situation is nearly idenctical in every respect. I have already sent mine back on a RMA.
What was the outcome with your problem?
Did the RMA repair/replace fix the original problem?

Holypriest
11-03-2013, 07:40 PM
I bought a second hand Asus G74 1 year ago, everything was just fine until about 5 months ago, and I have been having the exact same issues
with the display driver stopped responding message. It only does it now and again, at random times, but never when i play a game. Usually while browsing. I have reformatted, tried all of the above yet nothing, all still the same.

I bought it second hand so I guess Ill just have to live with it, but was kinda hoping for a solution in this thread...:)

b_bill
11-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Wow...I forgot all this and what I went through.
As it turns out I had to do a RMA to Asus and they changed out the motherboard.

That fixed my problem.

However, IIRC there are a few 'try fixes' on this forum.

Have a look and good luck.

Holypriest
01-18-2014, 04:33 PM
UPdate Solved
I installed windows 8.1, and seems the problem is gone. Had it now installed 4 weeks...