PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the G55VW

Zerflex
05-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Thank you MarshallR for the excellent quick-quide to upgrading the G75VW with a second HDD/SSD and RAM (http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/).

Now, I have a G55VW, and I am thinking about buying a SSD and using as my primary device, with the 750GB HDD that was fitted in the computer when I bought it as a secondary disc, mostly for storage.

Now, to my question; is it as simple to install a second drive in the G55VW as in the G75VW? One or two screws at the bottom of the computer, pop the hatch and then you are in?

Thanks,

Martin

Blodvite
05-04-2012, 08:20 AM
HI,

First of all the HDD places are one Msata and one HDD, i've replaced the HDD and RAM on my G55 and it's just as you desribed under the little hatch in the bottom.
this rules out the use of two 2,5 disks however so you'll either have to go for Msata as primary SSD or just use one SSD.
i went for the option with one SSD using Intel 520 240 Gb series will last long enough!

however i've yet still not found the Msata Location but i bet it isnt hard to get at once you remove some more of the cover.

Zerflex
05-04-2012, 08:48 AM
HI,

First of all the HDD places are one Msata and one HDD, i've replaced the HDD and RAM on my G55 and it's just as you desribed under the little hatch in the bottom.
this rules out the use of two 2,5 disks however so you'll either have to go for Msata as primary SSD or just use one SSD.
i went for the option with one SSD using Intel 520 240 Gb series will last long enough!

however i've yet still not found the Msata Location but i bet it isnt hard to get at once you remove some more of the cover.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Are there anyone else that can confirm where the mSATA location is? I.e, enabling two harddrives, with the SSD as primary (boot) disk? Is the location hard to get to?

Thanks.

fuzon1337
05-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi

Perhaps this site http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/ can answer your questions :)

Zerflex
05-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Hi

Perhaps this site http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/ can answer your questions :)

That was the article that I referred to in the opening post... :-)

Since the G55VW is smaller, I am uncertain if both HDD-slots are in the "easy" hatch, or if you have to remove the whole back cover.

fuzon1337
05-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Oh... haha

EDIT:
If you post some pictures then we can help you out :)

Zerflex
05-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Oh... haha

EDIT:
If you post some pictures then we can help you out :)

Hi again,

So, I opened the hatch, and could only see the primary HDD and what I believe are the RAM. As you can se on the attached picture, the hatch is smaller than on the G75. Any ideas where I could fit the SSD? Do I have to open the whole cover?

Thanks!

fuzon1337
05-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Hmm, it looks like you have to open up the whole cover, but you are sure that there is a second bay in this machine?

If you are curious about how the notebook looks inside then there is no problem to open it up. As long as you don't remove any labels says warranty voided then you're in the clear ^^

EDIT: Also since these new beasts are made to access the fans easily then it should be easy to open it up :)

Zerflex
05-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Hmm, it looks like you have to open up the whole cover, but you are sure that there is a second bay in this machine?

If you are curious about how the notebook looks inside then there is no problem to open it up. As long as you don't remove any labels says warranty voided then you're in the clear ^^

There should be a second bay, have read it on a couple of places (forums, where people from Asus have written), and also from the guy in the store that I bought it. (Some delivers it with one SSD and one HDD).

I tried to unscrew the cover, but couldn't get it off. (I wasn't using that much force, it is after all a brand new computer :D).

Is there anything else I need to know when removing the cover? I guess I have to try again, perhaps I missed one screw.

Thanks for your help.

fuzon1337
05-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Okey so I'll say the second SSD/HDD bay in that notebook is confirmed.

It could be some screws under the keyboard that is holding the cover back, but that I don't want to say for sure.

Since you are one of the first to get the hands on the G55vw, what do you think about it? Post some pics on benchmark the GPU/CPU and simular ? :)

Zerflex
05-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Okey so I'll say the second SSD/HDD bay in that notebook is confirmed.

It could be some screws under the keyboard that is holding the cover back, but that I don't want to say for sure.

Since you are one of the first to get the hands on the G55vw, what do you think about it? Post some pics on benchmark the GPU/CPU and simular ? :)

Overall, it feels very solid. I had an old Acer before this (which was crap), and it's such a difference. It's quiet, cool, runs smooth and the quality feels really good. And I really like the keyboard!

I have 8 GB RAM (1600 MHZ), GeForce GTX 660m and 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD. Ran 3dmark 11 before, and got a score of 2667 (with a slight overclock on the GeForce).

I have only had the time to test SWTOR (which runs very smooth on max settings, but it doesn't demand that high specifications). Will try more games later on (Skyrim etc).

And I can't complain about the HDD either. I chose between a SSD and HDD when I bought it, and got the HDD because of the storage. But I would like to run the OS and my games on the SSD, to improve performance just slightly. You know, one is never happy... :-)

My overall impression of it is great, and it would be just a bit better if I could just fit that SSD some how... :D

fuzon1337
05-04-2012, 05:45 PM
It's good to see that you are very happy with your new notebook. Congratz! ;)

Good luck about how to find out how to access the second bay in your notebook, perhaps if you find it out, you could make a guide about it :)

Btw do you know if there is a RAID possibility in your notebook?

Zerflex
05-04-2012, 06:16 PM
It's good to see that you are very happy with your new notebook. Congratz! ;)

Good luck about how to find out how to access the second bay in your notebook, perhaps if you find it out, you could make a guide about it :)

Btw do you know if there is a RAID possibility in your notebook?

I was actually planning on making a short guide with some pics, but it wasn't that easy apparently... :D
Will probably try more loter on tonight or on Sunday, will get back on the forums then. Do some more researching first...

I don't think that there is a RAID possibility in the G55, but I'm not sure. Let me get back on that one.

Zygomorphic
05-04-2012, 10:20 PM
I read that it was available in the manual, so I would be interested in knowing if the manual is correct for all or only some models. I cannot recall if it said "select models only" on hardware RAID.

Zerflex
05-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I read that it was available in the manual, so I would be interested in knowing if the manual is correct for all or only some models. I cannot recall if it said "select models only" on hardware RAID.

Like you say, the manual says RAID, and I have also found it in the BIOS. But since I have not located the second HDD-bay yet (and don't have two identical HDD's), I don't think I will be able to answer your question. Sorry.

Zygomorphic
05-06-2012, 12:21 PM
If the G55 is anything like the G53, the second hard drive will be buried down inside the notebook, requiring a fair amount of skilled disassembly. The manual, as I recall, told how to disassemble the computer, but it does take time and a lot of patience, considering that on the G53, one of the screws you must remove is not marked.

Senrir
05-10-2012, 09:28 PM
So any updates according upgrading G55s?

Should be possible to put a secondary 2.5" HDD / SSD there - http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-g55vw-rs71-i7-2gb-nvidia-gtx-660m-15-6.html

Already have another extra 2.5" ready to install myself on my G55VW, but too scared to start unscrewing hehehe :P. I have seen videos on youtube on how to do this on G53 but the casing on the previous model and the recent model is a bit different. (No Keyboard openings as one) ...

Would be nice if Asus could clarify if there is even a possibility of a secondary HDD bay on this model :/

_
05-11-2012, 07:14 AM
The G55 has an mSATA port and one 2.5" HDD bay. It does NOT have 2x2.5" HDD bays and the mSATA bay is NOT user accessible (or, it is, but not without voiding your warranty) - it must come pre-fitted when you buy. It's design was for a cache drive, for retailers who wanted to offer that option. However, with very tech savvy retailers and the very recent larger mSATA SSDs, they can set this up to be a normal boot drive instead (Crucial offer a 128GB M4 on mSATA iirc)

I've just confirmed this with the PM. I haven't actually got my G55 yet so I didn't know and didn't produce an article before sorry, which is why we concentrated on G75 articles currently. The product page for the G55 DO only state only 1 drive however (or rather, the G75 specifically states two drives).

I will do an mSATA upgrade article for you hopefully this month.

inhabitant
05-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Hi!

A guide for an upgrade with a mSATA Drive would be really really cool.

I have the 750 GB Version and a second Drive would be great.

Cheers

Arvinaaaaa
05-12-2012, 05:38 AM
hi guys.. i have a tiny problem..my G55 I CAN hear clicking sound occasionally inside tha laptop..when starting the laptop the same sound appears.and when using it, sometimes it appears..any solution to this? i already done hd disc checking and im not using battery on this laptop..please help..thanks

_
05-12-2012, 07:24 AM
It might be the HDD heads parking when they have nothing to do? Is it when you move it - like a creaking of plastic?

Arvinaaaaa
05-12-2012, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=MarshallR@ASUS;104131]It might be the HDD heads parking when they have nothing to do? Is it when you move it - like a creaking of plastic?[/QUOTE

no bro, i just found out it is the dvdrw thats making the sound,,when i on the laptop, got sound..when i open and close the dvdrw, got sound..when i open any application that uses the dvdrw,got sound..the dvd rw works fine,..just that click sound every time i start to use the dvdrw player..any solution to this bro? thank you..

jlw2000
05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Just bought the 55 (without reading these forums) and was a bit bummed to learn there was only one 2.5" slot, but at the same time excited to hear about the mssd slot. And then bummed again to read that the mssd is hard to access!

I'd have bought a 75 for the dual drive option but the thing is just too large for me... and in fact, the 55 is probably already a bit beyond max on weight / size.

So that said, how hard would it be, really, to access the mSSD? I've taken my fair share of computers and laptops apart in the past, but usually with a posted walk through.

How much disasssbly is required...? Would I need to remove the keyboard? Or could I focus just on the bottom? Thanks so much!

Tenbones
05-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Here's a post on notebookreview on where you can find the MSATA: Link1 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/638159-asus-rog-g55-g75-april-gtx-670m-147.html#post8515625)

and the work done to get to it. As well as the wireless card: Link2 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/638159-asus-rog-g55-g75-april-gtx-670m-148.html#post8518850)

Basically, it's not that easy to get to the MSATA and Wifi Card.

jlw2000
05-15-2012, 04:31 AM
I just did it... OCZ 120gb nocti series is in and working. Basically, the entire laptop has to come apart. Not for the faint of heart!!!

Zygomorphic
05-15-2012, 08:50 AM
This issue occurred in another thread and the consensus was that it is either the DVD +/- RW drive, or else the 7200 RPM hard disks. In either case, it is nothing to worry about, since the HDD's click like that when they are seeking, and Windows occasionally probes the DVD drive to make there is nothing there.

_
05-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Here's a post on notebookreview on where you can find the MSATA: Link1 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/638159-asus-rog-g55-g75-april-gtx-670m-147.html#post8515625)

and the work done to get to it. As well as the wireless card: Link2 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/638159-asus-rog-g55-g75-april-gtx-670m-148.html#post8518850)

Basically, it's not that easy to get to the MSATA and Wifi Card.

Not it's not at all. I've literally just tried to take apart the G55 I have here in the last hour and couldn't get past the user serviceable area. The main bottom layer is held on very solidly. As explained by GenTech on notebookreview:

First, you need need to disconnect the hard drive and remove about 1,000 screws from the bottom, and then remove the hinge cover and the screen, disconnect all the cables and remove the top case just to access the wireless card:

You can swap the optical drive for a HDD caddy - the screw to unlock it is in the user-serviceable area so that's fine, although I don't know about the quality of HDD caddys out there and how compatible they are. It should be a simple SATA adapter, but whether the screw-hold matches I don't know

mingminglam
05-16-2012, 06:34 AM
hi,

For me it seems to impossible to install the mSata by myself. Just wondering if i bring the G55 with my own msata SSD to my local Service Center to ask install for me, will that void the warrenty? and will they do that for me?

Thx.

electric0ant
05-18-2012, 03:24 AM
I just did it... OCZ 120gb nocti series is in and working. Basically, the entire laptop has to come apart. Not for the faint of heart!!!

Did you have to get past any warranty stickers or anything of the sort?

my G55 is scheduled to be delivered on tuesday, judging from the pictures I shouldn't have a problem getting to the mSATA slot,I've done plenty of laptop disassemblies, but I just don't want to void my warranty.

thanks!

RichardH
05-21-2012, 03:26 PM
You can swap the optical drive for a HDD caddy - the screw to unlock it is in the user-serviceable area so that's fine, although I don't know about the quality of HDD caddys out there and how compatible they are.
I saw that several of the customizers offer an HDD caddy for the Optical drive slot. I have no need for an on-board optical, and would love to add an SSD (spare 256 m4 on hand) there, anybody got a recommendation or source for a caddy? Does anybody have the ASUS part number for one? I'm about to travel overseas and want to complete the build and bed it in before I leave!

_
05-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Did you have to get past any warranty stickers or anything of the sort?

my G55 is scheduled to be delivered on tuesday, judging from the pictures I shouldn't have a problem getting to the mSATA slot,I've done plenty of laptop disassemblies, but I just don't want to void my warranty.

thanks!

Yes, accessing the mSATA port does void the warranty sorry. Only the 2.5" HDD and two of the SO-DIMM slots are freely user accessible.

hi,

For me it seems to impossible to install the mSata by myself. Just wondering if i bring the G55 with my own msata SSD to my local Service Center to ask install for me, will that void the warrenty? and will they do that for me?

Thx.

This is something I'm unsure of. If it's a service center endorsed/run by ASUS I see no reason why they can't do it and you retain your warranty, but I don't specifically know local policy.

Kenny111
07-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi guys, two hard drives can be fitted, one a standard 2.5" drive and the other must be a mini ssd. You can see the standard 2.5" drive bay behind the cover and you can see two ram slots there also. To get to the mini sata bay requires a full strip of the laptop, quite a job. Lots of screws need removed and lots of parts.
I asked Hidevolution for advice on how to install a mini sata ssd and they have filmed a full stripdown of the Asus G55VW and posted it on YouTube for me.
The link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYZAglEhuXo
Thank Ted and the technicians at Hidevolution

rampig
07-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Kenny, thx for bringing this thread alive:D
i hv actually started a thread but thus far nobody could actually confirm about the RAID 0 configuration for G55VW

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17852-G55VW-RAID-0-configuration&highlight=g55vw+raid

it was briefly mentioned by MarshallR's article which triggered my doubt...

http://rog.asus.com/111602012/g-series-laptops/g55vw-upgrade-guide/

eftz
10-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Hey,

im also want to install a msata at my G55VW. I'm already removed all tears. Now i can remove the keyboard. But there is a resistance at the side... You can see it on the pictures. Can you help me?

GottiBoi55
10-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Thank you MarshallR for the excellent quick-quide to upgrading the G75VW with a second HDD/SSD and RAM (http://rog.asus.com/98832012/g-series-laptops/upgrading-the-g75vw/).

Now, I have a G55VW, and I am thinking about buying a SSD and using as my primary device, with the 750GB HDD that was fitted in the computer when I bought it as a secondary disc, mostly for storage.

Now, to my question; is it as simple to install a second drive in the G55VW as in the G75VW? One or two screws at the bottom of the computer, pop the hatch and then you are in?

Thanks,
Martin

The G55 has only one HDD, but under your drive is a mSATA bay.
here is a link for your model >>> click me (http://rog.asus.com/111602012/g-series-laptops/g55vw-upgrade-guide/[/url)

bignazpwns
10-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Hey,

im also want to install a msata at my G55VW. I'm already removed all tears. Now i can remove the keyboard. But there is a resistance at the side... You can see it on the pictures. Can you help me?

If you got all the screws out theirs only clips and some cables under the keyboard holding it. Its very easy to damage the cables and if you need help with this its to advanced for you to do this upgrade. Also i have no idea on why you want to love your wireless card for a crappy msata drive 12287

Also since you modding it you should go ahead and add a switch to the cmos battery if you do any overclocking or bios tweeking on the system. I put mine by the hdd's so if i get a fail to boot i can just hit the dwitch and get it working again. Already voided your warranty so you should improve on things Asus left out.

Zygomorphic
10-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Also since you modding it you should go ahead and add a switch to the cmos battery if you do any overclocking or bios tweeking on the system. I put mine by the hdd's so if i get a fail to boot i can just hit the dwitch and get it working again. Already voided your warranty so you should improve on things Asus left out.

How does that switch help? I am confused here, is it like the desktop BIOS recovery?

bignazpwns
10-08-2012, 12:24 AM
How does that switch help? I am confused here, is it like the desktop BIOS recovery?

Clears the user settings from the system. If you go overboard with the intel xtreme tuning utility and get the hit the power button and just the lights will light up and then it turns off "No boot no display" its the only way to get your system back up and running without a RMA. And yes i done this about 12 times benching on the laptop trying to push it as hard as i can.

ZeroBarrier
10-08-2012, 01:28 AM
[QUOTE=Zygomorphic;166952]How does that switch help? I am confused here, is it like the desktop BIOS recovery?[/QUOTE

Clears the user settings from the system. If you go overboard with the intel xtreme tuning utility and get the hit the power button and just the lights will light up and then it turns off "No boot no display" its the only way to get your system back up and running without a RMA. And yes i done this about 12 times benching on the laptop trying to push it as hard as i can.

I thought the Intel XTU bricked G75's because it changed settings in the BIOS that didn't revert with clearing BIOS user settings. I could be wrong though.

Zygomorphic
10-08-2012, 10:18 AM
OK, that makes sense. In other words, if you mis-flash the BIOS, you are still stuck. But bad settings in the BIOS can be cleared and the system goes back to the "safe" defaults stored in EEPROM.

Thanks for answering my question! +1 rep! :)

SHDZ
10-12-2012, 03:09 AM
I’m a little confused about this thread!

1st: I thought there is a mSATA bay beneath the normal hard drive. Is it difficult to install a standard mSATA there (for instance a 256GB from Crucial with m4 format)?
2nd: Can I install a 2t hard drive with highs of 15mm inside the G55vw?

Best wishes

rewben
10-12-2012, 03:56 AM
@SHDZ,
1. the mSATA slot is in the non-user accessible area. it can be accessed but not easy for users who do not know what they are doing, plus warranty will be voided.

2. imo no. the usual option is to replace the ODD with a HDD caddy, and put an additional disk there.

SHDZ
10-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Maybe you didnít get me right.
I want to replace the 750GB with a 2000GB hard drive.

rewben
10-12-2012, 06:20 AM
oh.. yes i didn't get you right, sorry. i'm not sure about that :/

_
10-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Maybe you didnít get me right.
I want to replace the 750GB with a 2000GB hard drive.

Who makes a 2TB 2.5" HDD?

SHDZ
10-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Western Digital WD20NPVT Green 2TB - 2,5'' / SATA II

rewben
10-12-2012, 06:40 AM
imo it wouldn't fit. maybe it's meant for external storage.

and it says it needs power 12VDC. might be underpowered?

SHDZ
10-12-2012, 06:48 AM
NotebookCheck says in the G55vw is room for a single full-size 2.5-inch drive and one mSATA SSD.

How thick is a full-size 2.5-inch HDD?

_
10-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Western Digital WD20NPVT Green 2TB - 2,5'' / SATA II

Ahh now I see - yes 15mm, sorry that's too big. I'm pretty sure we only support the standard 9mm. External caddies will better suit the 15mm.

SHDZ
10-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Yes, it requires 12V anyway.

Zygomorphic
10-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Would love to see a 9 mm 2 TB drive...not that it's likely to happen...but still.

_
10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Would love to see a 9 mm 2 TB drive...not that it's likely to happen...but still.

Give them time to increase the densities and we'll get 1TB on 2.5" platters :)

Forgottenbhs
10-13-2012, 04:39 AM
Give them time to increase the densities and we'll get 1TB on 2.5" platters :)

Or you could sell the house and buy a Thunderbolt NAS using raid 0 with a buncha SSDs and call it a day. =D

SHDZ
10-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I have to ask again:

Is it possible with a changed stainless steel holder for the hard drive to place a 15mm thick hard drive in the G55VW? The pictures here in the Forum show lots of space inside the G55. http://rog.asus.com/111602012/g-series-laptops/g55vw-upgrade-guide/%5b/url

There are hard drives with more than 1TB and with 5V voltage like the 1.5TB Seagate FreePlay ST1500LM003 SATA 2.5 Notebook Hard Drive.
But they are at present thicker than 9.5 mm.

Best wishes

SHDZ
10-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi, is there anybody with a G55vw who can measure the space for the hard drive?

rewben
10-15-2012, 02:22 PM
yes, i have a g55, but sorry i think it's better not to tell people if it fits based on plain measurements only.

NathanieLz
10-16-2012, 01:01 PM
so it's possible to have 1 SSD and 1 HDD in G55??
I still wondering,it's true that G55 had dual slot hdd?

c_man
10-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Who told you that? G55 has only one HDD bay. You can add something in ODD bay, but it's speed is very slow 1.5Gbps compared to 6Gbps.

G55 has one mSATA option, but you lose warranty is you want to install one since it's deep inside the laptop.

Pandur
10-16-2012, 03:45 PM
The ODD bay supports SATA II, aka 3.0Gbps. Most software will only list the current speed of a port, and since many ODD's are still SATA I, that's all you'll see. But the HM77 chipset have no SATA I ports, "only" II and III. (4x SATA II and 2x SATA III in the chipset, but not all are available in this laptop.)

If you plan to replace the ODD with a HDD enclosure and install a new SATA III SSD, I recommend that you move the stock HDD there and put the new SSD in the original 2.5" bay.

Final option is to disassemble the laptop to install a msata SSD and keep the original HDD and ODD. But in many countries this will, as mentioned several times before, void your warranty!

c_man
10-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Good to know.

SHDZ
10-17-2012, 03:20 AM
yes, i have a g55, but sorry i think it's better not to tell people if it fits based on plain measurements only.

Thanks for your reply.

I understand your concern.

So I ask you MarshallR@ASUS, since you have the connetion to find out!

Is enough space inside the HDD bay of the G55vw for a 15mm 2,5" HDD?

Best wishes

lightbringer88
11-01-2012, 06:16 AM
I'm a rather recent fan of ASUS (spilled water on my G53, not covered by warranty + 800 dollar repair bill, so just bought the new G55 since I might as well get a new computer), and I was dearly hoping to upgrade my G55's hard drive speed and give it more storage space at the same time.

From this thread it turns out having an SSD for booting up and a normal internal 2.5" HDD is impossible, huh? I have like 3 different external hard drives (and the G55 only has 4 USB ports...), and I don't want to have the hassle of bringing an external hard disk everywhere I go (lose even more portability?). So the only option left is the mSATA option, then?

Any chance the ASUS support/repair centers will be able to help attach an OEM mSATA hard disk to serve as a slower SSD boot drive without voiding the warranty? I mean, that would be unbeatable customer service right there. Would make me an ASUS customer for life, too =/

rewben
11-01-2012, 06:35 AM
i have 2 ssds running, and many are using ssd+hdd combo in a g55. you need to replace the dvd drive with a hdd caddy, and put your hdd there (running at sata II, 3Gbps).

i asked for help in a local service center about this (what i asked was actually additional upgrades, like changing parts, which includes putting in a new mSATA). i was told that they only cover service and RMA of the original unit. they are not supposed to do the additional upgrades for us; but that was my case. the service guys in your country might be able to offer you that.

_
11-01-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm a rather recent fan of ASUS (spilled water on my G53, not covered by warranty + 800 dollar repair bill, so just bought the new G55 since I might as well get a new computer), and I was dearly hoping to upgrade my G55's hard drive speed and give it more storage space at the same time.

From this thread it turns out having an SSD for booting up and a normal internal 2.5" HDD is impossible, huh? I have like 3 different external hard drives (and the G55 only has 4 USB ports...), and I don't want to have the hassle of bringing an external hard disk everywhere I go (lose even more portability?). So the only option left is the mSATA option, then?

Any chance the ASUS support/repair centers will be able to help attach an OEM mSATA hard disk to serve as a slower SSD boot drive without voiding the warranty? I mean, that would be unbeatable customer service right there. Would make me an ASUS customer for life, too =/

Yes the only option is mSATA, although you can now buy 256GB mSATA drives from Crucial for example. There's no difference in performance of mSATA versus full SATA: they both use the same chipset, NAND and SATA 6Gbps interface.

Where did you buy from? I'm not sure if our US support can provide this service, it maybe easier for you to go back to the point of purchase.

relandwong
02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Why don't just remove your odd and install an ssd there? I plan to remove my odd and fit in a hdd caddy with my new drive in it. The msata slot is too difficult to access, don't wish to risk taking out so many screws..

darkydark
02-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Sorry if I'll sound dumb right now but I'm having problem with my retailer. Got myself g55vw in USA and its comming to me in Croatia via friend in a few days. While i was calculating if i want to have msata or regular ssd added to it i called autorized service center in here to ask how much would msata ssd instalation cost so i retain my warranty.

They: Msata ssd instalation is around 140$. (more than ssd itself)
My words then were: I'll just swap its current hdd into optical bay via caddy and use ssd in primary hdd spot.
They: If you swap existing hdd and optical drive yourself you will loose ur warranty.

Is there any document that refers to what "user servicable area" is? Because they said: either 140$ for msata instalation or 50$ for us to swap in ur existing components. I'm not paying 50$ for 3 god damn screwes...

SipTomi
08-22-2013, 04:11 AM
The ODD bay supports SATA II, aka 3.0Gbps. Most software will only list the current speed of a port, and since many ODD's are still SATA I, that's all you'll see. But the HM77 chipset have no SATA I ports, "only" II and III. (4x SATA II and 2x SATA III in the chipset, but not all are available in this laptop.)

If you plan to replace the ODD with a HDD enclosure and install a new SATA III SSD, I recommend that you move the stock HDD there and put the new SSD in the original 2.5" bay.

Final option is to disassemble the laptop to install a msata SSD and keep the original HDD and ODD. But in many countries this will, as mentioned several times before, void your warranty!

Hi fellow ROGers :)

@Pandur, thank you for your post.

I've ordered a "2nd Hard Drive Caddy Bay Adapter for Asus G55vw - Support 2.5" HDD/SSD (http://buy-deals.co.uk/asus-g55vw-2nd-hdd-hard-drive-caddy.htm)" last week, it's due arrive to Hungary this weekend or latest next week. My one year warranty of the G55VW is just over last month, and I plan to move the original 750 GB HDD (now it is drive D: ) into the caddy and put a new Samsung SSD 840 EVO (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/uk/html/about/SSD840EVO.html) 250GB in the HDD bay to have 6.0Gbps speed as a benefit.
I have a Windows 7 Ultimate running on the Sandisk 120GB system SSD (now it is Drive C: ), and I want to install Windows 8 on the new SSD.
What preparations do you recommend in W7 (Computer management / Disk Management)?
I mean there will be drive letter changes after moving HDD into the caddy and installing the new SSD, but I don't want to loose my installed programs on th HDD.
Did anybody do such upgrade yet?

Manskill
01-02-2014, 03:28 AM
I have been looking at Samsung 840 EVO Basic 1TB as a soultion. But how is it to use it instead of a regular HDD? And do anyone know how i can get all my existing data onto the SSD? (I have not bought anything yet) And how is it to do the BioS part yourself?

rewben
01-02-2014, 10:26 AM
to answer your question, you can clone the stock hdd to ssd.

however, it's better to set a g55 up like this: 1 ssd for OS, games and apps (clean install or restore using recovery disks/usb). 1 hdd for data. (replace the ODD with a 12.7mm sata-to-sata hdd caddy and put the stock hdd into it).

Manskill
01-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Well, i have stored my data on a External drive 1TB. So dont really need to replace ODD.

rewben
01-03-2014, 10:51 AM
if you have created a recovery media from asus tool, use it to restore the system to factory state. if you wish to copy everything including apps and settings from your old hdd to ssd, you can clone it with tools like Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx).

however, to minimize any potential issues, i suggest you to do a clean install. whatever you do, please take out the stock hdd and keep it for a while as a failsafe.