PDA

View Full Version : G74sx owner with a question

t3rrorc3ll
05-04-2012, 09:02 AM
is it necessary to update the bios, mine is still running bios 201, what will i gain by flashing as i am nervous about doing it myself anyway. am running Nvidia Beta 301.24 and am finding games running a hell of a lot better than when i first purchased the notebook. the only reason for using 301.24 was that Rage kept telling me to update drivers until i finally used 301.24 then it stopped asking. who else is using these drivers as at first i thought they were just performance drivers for Skyrim but seem to work very very well with all other games, gained about 5-7FPS in skyrim playing on Ultra 1920x1080 4xaa (prefer no aa as i like a sharper image) getting between 30-45FPS but never drops below 30 :) oh and everything stock, no overclock

fuzon1337
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi and Welcome to ROG forum :)

This is what Asus have fixed on the newer BIOS:

BIOS 202
1.Optimize Germany keyboard
2.Update EC firmware
3.Update thermal policy
4.Add new version model

BIOS 203
1.Fix the bug that 2D/3D switch function should be implemented on power on button (M key) instead of hotkey Fn + C
2.Optimize Aflash2 tool

If you don't have any issues that can be fixed by flashing your BIOS, then you should just let it be. If it works then why should you change it? :)

If you want to flash you BIOS because of a issue that gets fixed by updating it, then look at this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11080-BrodyBoy-simple-but-effective-.pdf-guide.-on-quot-Updating-The-G74SX-BIOS-with-EazyFlash-quot&country=&status= open the pdf file, a guide made by @BrodyBoy

It's good to see that you enjoy your notebook and takes the full advantage of it with gaming. However if you should experience that some games starts to get very bad fps, then it could be a throttling issue: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it&country=&status= in this thread there is a temporary solution about how to fix the throttling issue. (I would not recommend you to download the modded BIOS because then you will void your warranty)