PDA

View Full Version : ROG GTX 580 Matrix Plat. - Artifacting after long periods of sleep

pseudo
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Hello all,

I am new to this site, but I wanted to ask users of the same card what may be the problem. As the title states, after long periods of time of my computer being in sleep / screensaver mode.. when I wake it up.. the graphics card starts to experience artifacting. In addition, when I watch youtube videos I will get green screens after it has been artifacting. I keep getting the error "Nvidia Drivers have stopped working but have been recovered". After I reinstall the drivers everything goes back to normal without a problem which makes NO sense if it is a hardware issue? I am on stock settings.

I have tried:
1) Different Drivers
2) Reseating the graphics card and making sure all power cables are connected correctly
3) Made sure the connections between the card and my monitor via Dual-Link DVI were secure and proper
4) Ran Furmark stress tests to see if it would show the artifacting (didn't)

Also, I have noted that this was after I have purchased my new monitor, the BenQ XL2420T.

Now I got this card from somebody around 7 months back. I do not have the receipt anymore, unfortunately. People keep telling me to return it, but I do not think I can do so. Also, I do not think it is necessary since it seems to not be a hardware problem. Why would reinstalling drivers fix the hardware? If it was artifacting no matter what.. then yes I would know the card is defective.

If anyone has any advice on what is going on or if I can RMA in a situation I am now.. it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, and I hope you have a terrific day.

HiVizMan
05-04-2012, 03:16 PM
When you got the card 7 months ago what graphic card were you using? Was that care an AMD by any chance?

pseudo
05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Yes, actually. I had two 6950's that had ABYSMAL drivers so I traded. Never had any problems with it until now.

HiVizMan
05-04-2012, 03:33 PM
I would say that your system potentially has bits of left over AMD drivers that are causing the problem. Did you do any kind of active driver cleaning when you uninstalled your old cards drivers? Or did you do a fresh OS install?

pseudo
05-04-2012, 03:51 PM
I do not think I completely uninstalled them since I saw some of the old folders. However, I do think I have done that already. I went into the registry to make sure they didn't exist. Deleted everything I could see. Nothing in the installed programs or anything. I have not done a fresh OS install. That is just a pain. I would rather not have to do that. I would have to go buy an external HD.

Specs just in case:
i5-2500k @ 4.2 GHZ
12 GB 1600 Ripjaw Ram (would have just been 8, long story)
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Motherboard
Noctua D-14 fan cooler
Corsair 750w AX power supply
The graphics card mentioned
128 GB Crucial M4 SSD (boot drive with steam games)
1 TB 7200 Spinpoint F3
BenQ XL2420T
Corsair SP2500 speakers with AKG Q701 heaphones and Astro mixamp
Meka G1 Keyboard
Razer Death Adder Black edition

ALL of this is plugged in. I just want all bases covered.

HiVizMan
05-04-2012, 04:46 PM
I hear you mate.

Download GPUz and install please...open two instances of GPUz.

Select the monitoring tab.

And on the other click on the little question mark and start the test.

What kind of temps do you see?

pseudo
05-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Readout from both GPUZ:

Temp. 35.0 degrees
PCB Temp 35.0
GPU Temp. (listed twice): 35.3
PCB Temp (listed twice): 35.3
Core clock 405.0 MHz an max 810
Memory clock 162.0 MHz

Fan Speed 20%
1202 RPMS
Memory Used 102 MB
GPU Load: 0%
Memory Controller Load 3%
Video Engine Load 0%

Temp. 35.0 degrees
PCB Temp: 35.0
Core clock 405.0 MHz and max 810
Memory clock 162.0 MHz
GPU Temp: 35.3 (listed twice)
PCB Temp: 35.5 (listed twice)

Fan Speed 20%
1202 RPMS
Memory Used 102 MB
GPU Load: 0%
Memory Controller Load 3%
Video Engine Load 0%

That is all of the readings. Both of them are listed as NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.

HiVizMan
05-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Thank you.

And when you run the test? What are the temps under load?

pseudo
05-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Which particular test? Furmark?

HiVizMan
05-04-2012, 08:41 PM
I hear you mate.

Download GPUz and install please...open two instances of GPUz.

Select the monitoring tab.

And on the other click on the little question mark and start the test.

What kind of temps do you see?

You will have two GPUz open.

One is the normal first screen the other is the sensor page.

On the sensor page tick the box at the bottom that allows the programme to monitor continually.

On the first screen mid way down on the right hand side is a little question mark. It is next to the PCIe lane information.

If you click on that a window pops up that has a stress test build in. Start the test and let it run for say 5 to 10 mins. Keep your eyes on the temps.

I would like to see how your card reacts temp wise to a sustained load.

pseudo
05-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh I am sorry...missed that part. I ran the test for ten minutes. It didn't exceed 69.2 with less than 30% fan speed.

HiVizMan
05-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Your card is not going to crash due to heat or to hardware malfunction in that case.

That leaves us with either Power supply to the card or drivers.

My money would be on drivers. Explore the joys of driver cleaning software and pick one that you are happy with.

As a rule I tend to take the easy way out. When I swap graphic cards I just install a new OS.

pseudo
05-04-2012, 09:15 PM
I appreciate the help. I have been looking through the registry files... it seems that the Catalyst was uninstalled, but the application was still shown in the add/remove programs. Deleted all of them from the registry. I will leave my computer on to test.